Gas tank? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Gas tank?

Hi guys, I'm tired of filling up every 3 days. My car goes like 220-250 miles a tank. Maybe 275 with a bit of slow driving. I wanted to know if I can buy a bigger gas tank. I I've been searching and I can't find any. Thanks
Hbjatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Don't know of any available
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Man its the nature of the beast faster u go less mpg u get
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke
Man its the nature of the beast faster u go less mpg u get
Yea true but it kinda sucks that they didn't put a bigger gas tank.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbjatt13

Yea true but it kinda sucks that they didn't put a bigger gas tank.
Some ppl are having trouble getting the tank to fill all the way.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

I fill mine like almost a gallon over so I can travel an extra 20 miles lol
Old 11-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

+1
I get about 270 with all city driving, so best advice would be a lil less gas pedal on your commute lol
Uscgfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, lighten that right foot. I'm getting close to 300 on most tanks. I seriously doubt you will find any aftermarket tanks other than a fuel cell (requiring major surgery in the trunk)--the stock tank is pretty well shoehorned in where it is.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have lead foot :p If the road ahead of me is clear, then you'd better believe I'll take advantage of it. Takes its toll on my gas, though, but I knew the consequences when I first bought the car. It does balance out, though, because work is only three miles from home.

I do notice that every time I fill him up, I always seem to use 11-12 gallons out of the total 16. I just do what the fuel warning light says.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay I see guys I'll stay off of the gas. Thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, just ease up on the gas, and coast whenever you can. Cruise control can make a difference, too, if you're ever able to squeeze it in.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31 View Post
Yeah, just ease up on the gas, and coast whenever you can. Cruise control can make a difference, too, if you're ever able to squeeze it in.
Cruise control! When driving to work with mild traffic, I get to the speed I am planning on going and set the cruise control. The fact too that I can slow the car and speed the car up just with the buttons on the steering wheel is nice too as it doesn't lead foot the pedal to speed the car up haha.

currently sitting about 19.7 MPG from 18 MPG just by doing this.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yea cruise does help I got a 2mpg jump the last tank from using it more
Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I always use cruise control whenever I'm driving really late at night, when there are barely any cars around. Other times, I'll try to squeeze it in during light traffic. Not only is it economical; it's relaxing, too lol! I laugh at the Priuses and Camrys who speed up, and think they've truly overtaken me.

Of course, once the speed limit increases, and the road ahead is clear, that's when I get back into race mode

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

currently sitting about 19.7 MPG from 18 MPG just by doing this.
My best mpg is in the 19 range as well. We should be proud lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 11-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31
I always use cruise control whenever I'm driving really late at night, when there are barely any cars around. Other times, I'll try to squeeze it in during light traffic. Not only is it economical; it's relaxing, too lol! I laugh at the Priuses and Camrys who speed up, and think they've truly overtaken me.

Of course, once the speed limit increases, and the road ahead is clear, that's when I get back into race mode

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

My best mpg is in the 19 range as well. We should be proud lol
Well I am proud because my mother bragged about her minivan getting 18-20 when she got it in 2004, and my dad bought my 2007 tundra from me that is at 14.7 average.

I have the most powerful car in the family and almost the best MPG.

I have friends driving beat up older camerys and accords and what not who are proud to get around 20. They hate seeing what I get.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The first week I got the car I was driving like a grandma and got 400 to the tank with 14 gallons and then after that it was like 18-20mpg lol
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I am proud because my mother bragged about her minivan getting 18-20 when she got it in 2004, and my dad bought my 2007 tundra from me that is at 14.7 average.

I have the most powerful car in the family and almost the best MPG.

I have friends driving beat up older camerys and accords and what not who are proud to get around 20. They hate seeing what I get.
Haha I have the most powerful car in the family, too, and the second girl to learn how to drive a manual. (My aunt beat me to it.) My dad in his Accord probably averages around twenty or so. Same for my mom's Mazda MPV. My brother's Genesis Coupe is probably the most economical, though. He averages 25 or 26, and has gone up to 30 a few times.

Of course, nothing beats my cousin's Triumph 675R, which is in fact a sport bike. lol Averages 30-35 mpg on that thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbjatt13 View Post
The first week I got the car I was driving like a grandma and got 400 to the tank with 14 gallons and then after that it was like 18-20mpg lol
lol I don't think I've ever driven my car like a grandma. I don't know about where you live, but in VA, the grandmas are a little crazy on the road :/ A fair amount of them nearly hit me. But anyway, for all the power the Mustang has, I don't think 18-20mpg is that bad I like to think that all fun things have their consequences.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha I have the most powerful car in the family, too, and the second girl to learn how to drive a manual. (My aunt beat me to it.) My dad in his Accord probably averages around twenty or so. Same for my mom's Mazda MPV. My brother's Genesis Coupe is probably the most economical, though. He averages 25 or 26, and has gone up to 30 a few times.

Of course, nothing beats my cousin's Triumph 675R, which is in fact a sport bike. lol Averages 30-35 mpg on that thing.

lol I don't think I've ever driven my car like a grandma. I don't know about where you live, but in VA, the grandmas are a little crazy on the road :/ A fair amount of them nearly hit me. But anyway, for all the power the Mustang has, I don't think 18-20mpg is that bad I like to think that all fun things have their consequences.
Good for you learning to drive a manual! I learned on a much less angry 350Z. I think learning on the mustang would have been crazy. Two much gas, letting out the clutch to fast without meaning too and tearing off the line when only trying to go slow.

Haha. I have stalled this car a few times though. Always embarrassed when I do.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good for you learning to drive a manual! I learned on a much less angry 350Z. I think learning on the mustang would have been crazy. Two much gas, letting out the clutch to fast without meaning too and tearing off the line when only trying to go slow.

Haha. I have stalled this car a few times though. Always embarrassed when I do.
lol I learned on my cousin's Mazda 3, and then once I got used to that, he let me drive his 370z. The Mustang came after that, but at the time, I was still a bit of a beginner. I didn't do anything to hurt the car, though In some ways, learning on the Mustang seemed easier for me because it has so much torque that it practically moves on its own. Had to practice on those hills, though :/

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol I learned on my cousin's Mazda 3, and then once I got used to that, he let me drive his 370z. The Mustang came after that, but at the time, I was still a bit of a beginner. I didn't do anything to hurt the car, though In some ways, learning on the Mustang seemed easier for me because it has so much torque that it practically moves on its own. Had to practice on those hills, though :/
Yea I learned on Civic Si, it was a bit tricky cuz there's no torque whatsoever and it only moves in the high rpms. The Mustang I found easy to drive cuz of the power in each gear. You can put it any gear at anytime it just pulls.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbjatt13 View Post
Yea I learned on Civic Si, it was a bit tricky cuz there's no torque whatsoever and it only moves in the high rpms. The Mustang I found easy to drive cuz of the power in each gear. You can put it any gear at anytime it just pulls.
Exactly. All it takes is 1500-2000 rpm to get the stang going. The Civic SI sounds like the 370z in a sense because both require high rpms to get off the line.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Exactly. All it takes is 1500-2000 rpm to get the stang going. The Civic SI sounds like the 370z in a sense because both require high rpms to get off the line.
Yea they are similar to drive one you get going but 350 is a v6 so it does have good torque.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dk about the 370 you drove, but my uncles 2004 350Z I can let the clutch out in first and it rolls forward no issue, the 2011 370Z I drove when I was debating between that and my mustang acted the same way.

My mustang does not like me letting the clutch out without gas. The first gear is so heavy that it just doesn't seem to like it. It will do it though. It also looses all momentum forward quickly when i only let the clutch out. Could be the gearing? I have 3.73 gears.

The civic SI was like the S2000. You had to rev it sky high to get it to want to move forward.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #24
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
This is good stuff! Anyway, OP as others have said let up on throttle a bit. In my 4.0 I get about 18.5 pure city.

If it makes you feel any better I'm only getting 20.8 in the 4cyl Fusion.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dk about the 370 you drove, but my uncles 2004 350Z I can let the clutch out in first and it rolls forward no issue, the 2011 370Z I drove when I was debating between that and my mustang acted the same way.

My mustang does not like me letting the clutch out without gas. The first gear is so heavy that it just doesn't seem to like it. It will do it though. It also looses all momentum forward quickly when i only let the clutch out. Could be the gearing? I have 3.73 gears.

The civic SI was like the S2000. You had to rev it sky high to get it to want to move forward.
Haha well, I'm no mechanic, but I don't think there's anything wrong with your car First gear is pretty heavy in the mustang, from my experience. The only times I ever really let it roll forward without the gas is when I'm inching forward, into my garage. I also did it around the neighborhood when I first bought the car; it was my way of practicing getting the car into first quickly, and without stalling. I wasn't used to the short throws at the time, I guess.

There are lots of S2000s running around where I live And I think if the 370z's synchro-rev match system is on, then it'd be easier to let the clutch out without gassing it first. I never had the chance to try lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
This is good stuff! Anyway, OP as others have said let up on throttle a bit. In my 4.0 I get about 18.5 pure city.

Skipping gears helps save gas, too I find it funny how the "1>4 shift for fuel Econ" sign pops up on my dashboard. Also I don't have a second car; my GT is my daily driver. Thought about getting a second car, but then I realized I'd never drive it

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I drive 62 miles everyday during the week at 70-75 mph and I'm getting 20,2 mpg every week! But weekends, it drops to around 19.2!! It's just the way you use your right foot!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

Haha that's what I was getting on the accord lol

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Quote:

Skipping gears helps save gas, too I find it funny how the "1>4 shift for fuel Econ" sign pops up on my dashboard. Also I don't have a second car; my GT is my daily driver. Thought about getting a second car, but then I realized I'd never drive it
Yea lately I've been going 1-3-5-6 and on a roll or turns 2-4-6 and it's helping as well, thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #29
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It's all in how you drive. I do about 50/50 hwy & city. Here's what I get per fill up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1470323115.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	78030Also, I'm tuned, Steeda CAI & Boss IM. I'm using the 93Street tune.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
It's all in how you drive. I do about 50/50 hwy & city. Here's what I get per fill up.

Also, I'm tuned, Steeda CAI & Boss IM. I'm using the 93Street tune.
Did that tune help the mpgs and if yes how much?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #31
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Did that tune help the mpgs and if yes how much?
It's actually a double edge sword. On hwy I'm getting about 21.5 when I used to get 20 and in the city I get 13 when I used to get 16.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

It's actually a double edge sword. On hwy I'm getting about 21.5 when I used to get 20 and in the city I get 13 when I used to get 16.
That's pretty good 1.5+ mpg on the hwy. I would start taking the hwg more and save some money and when I hit the streets blow all of it lol
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #33
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

That's pretty good 1.5+ mpg on the hwy. I would start taking the hwg more and save some money and when I hit the streets blow all of it lol
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing.
Man, I loaded the 93Race tune and city I was getting 9.5. I was heavy on the gas most of the time but the next morning, I loaded the street tune back on.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just an update. I've been using cruise a lot lately at 60 mph and I'm getting 26.5. Amazing how much this car mellows with a button lol. And mixed driving I'm at 22-23 usually so doing good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT