Decisions, Decisions! - CAI Combo? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

nitrous2v is unknown around these parts
Decisions, Decisions! - CAI Combo?

I need some quick help. I want a CAI and tuner for my 2013 GT. Right now I can get the package deal from Steeda with a 20% discount and save a good chunk of change but my decision is here... How is the Steeda tune vs. a BAMA tune? I usually get all my parts through AM but they dont have this combo on sale tight now.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

Coyote 5.0 is unknown around these parts
Not to be rude but If you'd just type it in the search bar or google. You'd probably find your answer.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Charlie_santos is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous2v
I need some quick help. I want a CAI and tuner for my 2013 GT. Right now I can get the package deal from Steeda with a 20% discount and save a good chunk of change but my decision is here... How is the Steeda tune vs. a BAMA tune? I usually get all my parts through AM but they dont have this combo on sale tight now.
I don't think steeda does tunes for life so idk if that's a deal breaker for you
Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang32Bill is unknown around these parts
I don't see how you could go wrong with steeda... Great products!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Staff

DDTCM is just getting started.
Bama tunes are great and they have free tunes for life even if you don't buy the parts from them. That's a win.

July 2011 MOTM winner.
January 2014 MOTM winner.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang32Bill is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Bama tunes are great and they have free tunes for life even if you don't buy the parts from them. That's a win.
+1
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Soccerluvr4 is unknown around these parts
Steeda does free tunes as long as the updated tune is for a part purchased from them.

Faster than a speeding...............
Carvin' corners like a Boss

June 2013 Mustang of the Month
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

mmike87 is unknown around these parts
I am happy with my Steeda CAI and their tune so far, but have not used anyone else's tune to compare.

Steeda doesn't have like "Race" and "Performance" tunes, and their 93 and 91 octane tunes are essentially the same. The way they explained to me is that the 91 tune will add timing when you use 93 octane fuel.

So, I am not sure what they do different from Bama and the other tuners, but the tune seems to work well. I have had some rough idle issues ... I cleaned the MAF and checked all the CAI connections yesterday and did the idle re-learn ... seemed to help but I'll drive it more today.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

GrabberBlue5.0 is unknown around these parts
The Steeda CAI is second to none! I will say that their tunes are safe and yield more power than stock but when compared to others feel a little weak. Not trying to bash them in the least, just giving you my .02

From everything I hear the Bama hybrid tune is the bees knees

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

mmike87 is unknown around these parts
I really want to try the Bama tunes soon just for comparison sake. I will say that my car with the Steeda intake and tune will break the rears loose from a roll in second gear with 3.31 gears ... not sure if that's typical of a non-tuned car or not, but it seems pretty impressive to me.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
I really want to try the Bama tunes soon just for comparison sake. I will say that my car with the Steeda intake and tune will break the rears loose from a roll in second gear with 3.31 gears ... not sure if that's typical of a non-tuned car or not, but it seems pretty impressive to me.
I just got their new Hybrid tune man and I'm LOVING my stang. I have no use for my street tune now. I'm on Hybrid or Race!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

AMShaneLesky is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous2v View Post
nitrous2v,

We do have some Cyber Monday sales going on today for a bunch of different products, including Bama/CAI packages! Check out our JLT CAI/SF3 package that is only on sale today for Cyber Monday.

We've seen some of our biggest increases in performance with the JLT CAI's. I think you'll be very impressed with the overall power band increase your Mustang will have. Tons of forum members on here already have this setup and are more than happy with results to say the least!

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can do!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #13

2008crna is unknown around these parts
I went with a Steeda CAI With the Bama 93 "Race" tune. I love the idea of tunes for life and although it isn't the same as a dyno tune it is satisfying and you can feel the difference. I also have the magnaflow competition cat back full exhaust system and I LOVE the sound. I vote for the Bama tune!

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

I just got their new Hybrid tune man and I'm LOVING my stang. I have no use for my street tune now. I'm on Hybrid or Race!
What do you mean by "hybrid"? Is that the 91 octane tune?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

13StangGT is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

nitrous2v,

We do have some Cyber Monday sales going on today for a bunch of different products, including Bama/CAI packages! Check out our JLT CAI/SF3 package that is only on sale today for Cyber Monday.

We've seen some of our biggest increases in performance with the JLT CAI's. I think you'll be very impressed with the overall power band increase your Mustang will have. Tons of forum members on here already have this setup and are more than happy with results to say the least!

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can do!

Shane
Can some one tell me if you do the tune does it void the warranty? I have seen where you can put the OEM program back in and the warranty is still good but would like to know 100 percent. Because I only have 5k on her and really want the tune.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #15

2008crna is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13StangGT

Can some one tell me if you do the tune does it void the warranty? I have seen where you can put the OEM program back in and the warranty is still good but would like to know 100 percent. Because I only have 5k on her and really want the tune.
Yes, the tune is "legal". But here is the gray area. If your engine were to explode and you had a tune on it, Ford motor company would balk at paying out for a new engine. The problem is you would have to bring your witnesses that state it is a safe tune an they would bring theirs that state otherwise. It all comes down to money. That being said, I have a 2011 GT/CS that I have the tune on and I have brought it into the dealership several times for warranty work without them making a big deal. In fact, the pain of a tune is you often throw benign diagnostic codes (of which you can clear with your SCT tuner) and you HAVE to return it to stock before taking to the dealership (this is because if they have to update the car's computer it will cause the SCT Tuner to NOT be recognized an you will have to send it to SCT along with a $75 check begging for them to unlock it again-learned that from experience). In addition, if you have a CAI, you will have to reflash the tune when you get it back from the dealership otherwise you will run lean on your air to fuel ratio and mess up your car. Point is, you will be very happy with your tune and CAI but it isn't a "set and forget" scenario. You will have to be conscious of certain things to prevent the hassles of a dealership not wanting to accept a low reimbursement for warranty work or rape you on price for an out of pocket repair. In the end, it will always be about the money.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008crna
I went with a Steeda CAI With the Bama 93 "Race" tune. I love the idea of tunes for life and although it isn't the same as a dyno tune it is satisfying and you can feel the difference. I also have the magnaflow competition cat back full exhaust system and I LOVE the sound. I vote for the Bama tune!

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

What do you mean by "hybrid"? Is that the 91 octane tune?
The hybrid tune is a combination of the low end grunt of the street tune combined with th high end scream of the race tune

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

The hybrid tune is a combination of the low end grunt of the street tune combined with th high end scream of the race tune
Couldn't have said it any better myself!!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

AMShaneLesky is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13StangGT View Post
Voiding the warranty is completely up to how mod friendly your local Ford Dealer is. The best thing to do is talk to your Ford Dealer's Service Manager before you buy a tune, if you're worried about the warranty. At the very least, they'll give you a yes or no answer.

This is the best way to play it safe, IMO. I hope it helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

Voiding the warranty is completely up to how mod friendly your local Ford Dealer is. The best thing to do is talk to your Ford Dealer's Service Manager before you buy a tune, if you're worried about the warranty. At the very least, they'll give you a yes or no answer.

This is the best way to play it safe, IMO. I hope it helps!

Shane
Thanks I will talk to them. I feel pretty comfortable doing a mild tune for a cai and maybe a few other things but I am not taking it to a race tune.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks I will talk to them. I feel pretty comfortable doing a mild tune for a cai and maybe a few other things but I am not taking it to a race tune.
No mater which tune you choose it still voids the warranty
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No mater which tune you choose it still voids the warranty
Can't you pull the tune and go back stock tune and if need be put the factory cai on and get past it? Or can they tell it had been turned?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Can't you pull the tune and go back stock tune and if need be put the factory cai on and get past it? Or can they tell it had been turned?
Our new ECU can actually tell ford if it was messed with a aftermarket tuner or just got its codes cleared by autozone. It's very smart in this way so if they wanted they can just plug it in and check
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Our new ECU can actually tell ford if it was messed with a aftermarket tuner or just got its codes cleared by autozone. It's very smart in this way so if they wanted they can just plug it in and check
Is there a tune ford can do if I puchased a roush cai or something that ford sells?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is there a tune ford can do if I puchased a roush cai or something that ford sells?
Lol ford will sell you Roush parts but they aren't ford parts so they will void ur warranty you can buy a ford racing CAI and they will warranty it and your car! You can ONLY buy Ford racing parts and your warranty will stay in tact. So if your worried about your warranty then buy ford only.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Quote:

Also has to be installed by ford too
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol ford will sell you Roush parts but they aren't ford parts so they will void ur warranty you can buy a ford racing CAI and they will warranty it and your car! You can ONLY buy Ford racing parts and your warranty will stay in tact. So if your worried about your warranty then buy ford only.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Thanks that maybe what I will do at least for a little while longe. I just have 5k on it so just want to make sure she is not going to have problems. Thanks for the helpful advice.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks that maybe what I will do at least for a little while longe. I just have 5k on it so just want to make sure she is not going to have problems. Thanks for the helpful advice.
Yea mine is still under warranty but I have mods up the ass!! Look into the magnuson warranty act if your able to prove to the court your parts won't hurt your car you can retain your warranty. I've done it. Just a pain in the ass.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

nitrous2v is unknown around these parts
Well I went with a Steeda CAI and Tuner. Hope I made a good decision, thanks for all the input. Is there anything in particular I need to let Steeda know prior to getting the Tuner?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous2v
Well I went with a Steeda CAI and Tuner. Hope I made a good decision, thanks for all the input. Is there anything in particular I need to let Steeda know prior to getting the Tuner?
They will ask you the appropriate questions man. Mention any other mods you have if they don't ask bro.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

Quote:

FRPP warranties the FRPP tune, not ford. And most dealers will tell you that you must let them install the FRPP parts in order to keep warranty, so keep that in mind to when budgeting costs

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #30
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

Quote:

FRPP warranties the FRPP tune, not ford. And most dealers will tell you that you must let them install the FRPP parts in order to keep warranty, so keep that in mind to when budgeting costs
Ah just saw that you added that at the bottom

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

FRPP and Ford, same difference lol but yea they handle all the warranty and stuff. Just trying to get the point across that it CAN be done but will cost a but load more then do it via aftermarket suppliers and installers.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #32
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

Quote:

FRPP and Ford, same difference lol but yea they handle all the warranty and stuff. Just trying to get the point across that it CAN be done but will cost a but load more then do it via aftermarket suppliers and installers.
FRPP is not the same as ford corporate nor is it the same as the dealer. FRPP is its own entity, when you use their tuner you lose factory warranty and pick up a warranty from FRPP, however long they stated it is, 12/12 or 3/36 or something like that

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

FRPP is not the same as ford corporate nor is it the same as the dealer. FRPP is its own entity, when you use their tuner you lose factory warranty and pick up a warranty from FRPP, however long they stated it is, 12/12 or 3/36 or something like that
Omg I being sarcastic man hahaha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai