2012 Mustang Roush Accident, Please Help/Input! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
]MAJOR UPDATE: The body shop was finally measure every single component of the car. The found damage was a bent subframe, that will be replaced, another control arm, and finally, a slightly out of spec unibody. ...a slightly out of spec unibody is what made me freak out. The shop then said that yes they're are cases where a bent unibody will render the car not to preform the same, BUT, they assured me that my case...the unibody was only out of tolerance a little bit, therefore once straightened out, "your amazing car will return to being an amazing car and you'll be whipping it around corners all you like and the performance will be the same." They specialize is collisions like this and they assure me that my car will be driving and preforming pre-accident again. So I guess I'm lucky the car was thoroughly checked by this shop, because if my car was returned to me just from what Ford did, then my car wouldnt be the same. So yeah, thats my update for you guys. Do you agree that because it was only out of spec a little bit, my car will come back to the same?

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead5Point0 View Post
]MAJOR
UPDATE:

The body shop was finally measure every single component of the car. The found damage was a bent subframe, that will be replaced, another control arm, and finally, a slightly out of spec unibody.

...a slightly out of spec unibody is what made me freak out. The shop then said that yes they're are cases where a bent unibody will render the car not to preform the same, BUT, they assured me that my case...the unibody was only out of tolerance a little bit, therefore once straightened out, "your amazing car will return to being an amazing car and you'll be whipping it around corners all you like and the performance will be the same." They specialize is collisions like this and they assure me that my car will be driving and preforming pre-accident again.

So I guess I'm lucky the car was thoroughly checked by this shop, because if my car was returned to me just from what Ford did, then my car wouldnt be the same. So yeah, thats my update for you guys. Do you agree that because it was only out of spec a little bit, my car will come back to the same?
GearHead5Point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ya you should be ok. They can straighten the unibody back to spec. Did you take it to a new shop or is this the original shop? Control arms are a cinch and the subframe canbe cut and replaced. Its how they made the frame with intentions to replace if need be. Sounds like you should have yourcar back in a week or so. Its been a long time so far. Glad its good news. They wouldnt repair it if you will have long term issues.

I cant wait to see new pics of it.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Make them total it, you've spent too much money to have a wreck.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I was going to say, my insurance company would have just totaled the car long ago with this many issues.

I hope it works out for you, sounds like they are going to get it up and running correctly, but I am curious how much overall they have spent doing such a thing.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
+1
13BLKCYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I was going to say, my insurance company would have just totaled the car long ago with this many issues.

I hope it works out for you, sounds like they are going to get it up and running correctly, but I am curious how much overall they have spent doing such a thing.
Honestly it seems like much because Ford reversed the order and just replaced the parts they saw that were visably bent instead of laser measuring it first. The repair and replace ford did was a total of 3k in parts and 1k in labor...and the replacement of one other control arm, subframe, and slight adjustment to the unibody should cost???idk. Honestly, I don't see it much of a big deal now. The shop is very confident and even says that honestly it may sound bad but its not really to bad. The repair should take 2-3 days the most.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
So sorry!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
Ya you should be ok. They can straighten the unibody back to spec. Did you take it to a new shop or is this the original shop? Control arms are a cinch and the subframe canbe cut and replaced. Its how they made the frame with intentions to replace if need be. Sounds like you should have yourcar back in a week or so. Its been a long time so far. Glad its good news. They wouldnt repair it if you will have long term issues.

I cant wait to see new pics of it.
Yeah, the shop said that in all honestly, yes the unibody was slightly tweaked, but not tweated greatly by any means. They said that its just slight and can be realigned back to perfection.

The subframe doesnt need to be cut...its bolted on so its not to extensive.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Honestly it seems like much because Ford reversed the order and just replaced the parts they saw that were visably bent instead of laser measuring it first. The repair and replace ford did was a total of 3k in parts and 1k in labor...and the replacement of one other control arm, subframe, and slight adjustment to the unibody should cost???idk. Honestly, I don't see it much of a big deal now. The shop is very confident and even says that honestly it may sound bad but its not really to bad. The repair should take 2-3 days the most.
Ford only charged them 1K for labor for all that?! They wanted 700 in labor just to change my gearing out lol.

Glad to hear the good news tho man! Hope to hear you have a smile on your face here shortly!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Ford only charged them 1K for labor for all that?! They wanted 700 in labor just to change my gearing out lol.

Glad to hear the good news tho man! Hope to hear you have a smile on your face here shortly!
I don't know if I should interpret a slightly bent unibody as good news lol. I guess the good news is that Ford didn't give it to me from their repairs only and that the unibody was supposedly only but slightly and therefore could be returned to pre accident...according to the shop.

For the people who says it should be totaled, I can understand what you mean. But I think that applys to unibodies that have been severly bent. One that is slightly tweaked like mine, as the shop said, I think can be returned to good as new.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

I don't know if I should interpret a slightly bent unibody as good news lol. I guess the good news is that Ford didn't give it to me from their repairs only and that the unibody was supposedly only but slightly and therefore could be returned to pre accident...according to the shop.

For the people who says it should be totaled, I can understand what you mean. But I think that applys to unibodies that have been severly bent. One that is slightly tweaked like mine, as the shop said, I think can be returned to good as new.
Well it is just the value will drop significantly. You have a lot of dough in the car and you shouldn't have a car with a bad record.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post

Well it is just the value will drop significantly. You have a lot of dough in the car and you shouldn't have a car with a bad record.
Yeah, I agree with that 100%. I didn't plan on selling the car though, and honestly planned if possible, to keep it for my lifetime. So I'm not to concerned with the resale value nor the record.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with that 100%. I didn't plan on selling the car though, and honestly planned if possible, to keep it for my lifetime. So I'm not to concerned with the resale value nor the record.
Well it is just that you always will know. It just doesn't feel the same after something like that.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well it is just that you always will know. It just doesn't feel the same after something like that.
You think so? It will be brought back to factory specification and all bent parts will be replaced with new? I think I'll be fine
Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead5Point0

You think so? It will be brought back to factory specification and all bent parts will be replaced with new? I think I'll be fine
I know you said you never plan on selling, but plans change. If they do, your car will only be worth half what you think it is.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Its only a broken axle and subframe which all are replaceable and not a permanent fixture on the car. Its like breaking a headlight, not so bad. So if anyone looks it up they will see its only moving parts and nothing permanent like the roof or body parts. I dont think its gonna take such a huge hit on value.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't call bent subframe moving parts.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Its bolted on so not a serious part.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
Its only a broken axle and subframe which all are replaceable and not a permanent fixture on the car. Its like breaking a headlight, not so bad. So if anyone looks it up they will see its only moving parts and nothing permanent like the roof or body parts. I dont think its gonna take such a huge hit on value.
Don't forget, the unibody is "ever so slightly" tweaked
Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #55
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:

Don't forget, the unibody is "ever so slightly" tweaked
It'll never be the same. Mine wasn't.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
if it makes you feel any better. 2 nights ago on my way home from work some girl decided to just stop in the middle of the road while I was changing the radio station and I rear ended her going 20mph with a 2 month old 5.0. airbag deployed and at first I thought my car was done for. so I get out and asked If she was alright first than looked at my car and by some miracle it was hardly noticeable. shop said I don't need to replace the front bumper but there's no way I'm having a partial cracked bumper on a brand new car /: atleast me anyways. Called Accidents for a reason
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

It'll never be the same. Mine wasn't.
It feels like part of you is missing

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
if it makes you feel any better. 2 nights ago on my way home from work some girl decided to just stop in the middle of the road while I was changing the radio station and I rear ended her going 20mph with a 2 month old 5.0. airbag deployed and at first I thought my car was done for. so I get out and asked If she was alright first than looked at my car and by some miracle it was hardly noticeable. shop said I don't need to replace the front bumper but there's no way I'm having a partial cracked bumper on a brand new car /: atleast me anyways. Called Accidents for a reason
Sorry it happened brah but be glad you know have an excuse to upgrade the bumper.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsumake View Post

It feels like part of you is missing

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Sorry it happened brah but be glad you know have an excuse to upgrade the bumper.
Rofl!!! I meant to type "bruh"
Tatsumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly I think you should try to just get a new one and keep that on forever. I understand the attachment, but then it comes down to it, the car just isn't the same, if you could buy that one which has been damaged, or one that isn't, you would get the un-damaged one.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
So sorry for your loss. I have some experience with straightening uni-body vehicles. What you need to look at is inside and outside the vehicle, near the attachment point of the suspension for paint cracks/obvious deformities in the unibody. Fortunately, you absorbed the majority of the impact with the tires. You apparently were mostly parrallel to the curb, as evidenced by the mutual damage to the tires. By my guess, you had 60% of the force absorbed by the front suspension area. There are many bushings before reaching the unibody, I would be suspect of the lower "A" arm area, and possibly bent sway bar attachments. Examine the entire shock tower for deformities. If the body shop initial measurement are within factory specs, you have little to worry about future handling compromises. A really lucky bad day. Good luck.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Upon further reading of your situation, don't put too much worry into the body shop's "unibody slightly out of spec" statement. Remember, they are a business and jacking up an estimate is not foriegn to their way of business. After all, who is going to challenge them? It is just more money from the insurance company to their pocket. I have straightened over a dozen "totalled" unibody vehicles, and they all drove perfectly afterwards. Thing is, a unibody car is designed to crumple. Like a sheet of aluminum foil, you can straighten it out, but the crease will always be there, and the next impact has a ready made fatigue point. Question is...how many times are you going to wreck the car? I would insist on all the front components and the rear axle to be replaced, using upgraded aftermarket bushings as well, and at the end of the day, your car will handle better than factory...until you stack it up again.
Best wishes.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I made a mistake on which end of your car took the hit, it is clear the rear end took the brunt of the hit. Even better. The mass of your axle forced the rear rim to absorb the lion's share of energy, and that end is way stronger than the front for side curb hits. Another lucky stroke on a sh&$%^ty day. Point is, you need to take ownership of this yourself, go to the car, lift the rear inner mats and examine the corners of the rear towers for kinks. The body shop that uses lazer alignment is the proper attack to repair your car. Ultimately, your mom, the service manager, and the insurance adjuster have eyes that are not yours. It's your car, get your eyes on this car now. You don't have to be trained to spot irregularities. At the end of the day, you will have this car for some time, so make a minor investment in time and get on your hands and knees and examine this car now, before the folks claim the repair is done. Take solice in the fact that any car can be straightened, it is only a matter of time and money. If you discover significant tweakage in the unibody, insist that the body shop apply doubling plates over the bent areas, if they don't replace the entire section. They are a body shop and have welders for a reason. Paint hides a world of sin, and they know it. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

The official estimate for the work Jackson Auto Body is going to do went out today and I also visited the car. The shop seemed pretty good...ICAR certifications, ASE certifications, and unibody repair certifications.

Anyways, the shop did all their laser measuring, assessments, and here is what they found and will address to fix my car...

First, since the unibody was ever so slightly tweaked...they will put it on the puller machine to get everything in spec. I asked him what exactly on the structure was tweaked, and it isn't what I initially thought. Remember that picture I posted up before of the underside of the Mustang...and you guys suggested that the red circled rails along side of the exhaust is the sub frame? Well that is what he said was slightly tweaked, and he said that once that's realigned, everything will go back to being aligned.

Other parts that will be replaced are the right front steering knuckle, front strut absorber, front stabilizer bar rod right side, sub frame/cross member, outer right front tie rod(end), rear transverse rod, track bar bolts, track arm bolt.

They will repair the MIdg Rocker Panel Left/Right tire?, align the front suspension, align the rear suspension, apply corrosive protection, car covers(primer), repair and refinish pinch welds?, repair and finish the track arm mounts/frame rail mounts and refinish them.

The total in all for the work this shop is doing is $2,981.90 cents...and the total for Fords work and Jackson's work is around 7k.

Thanks guys. Throw in some comments if you want. If I have questions since the estimate confused me I'll post up.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

10k thats it? i was expecting some ground shattering number the was this was being described. we have hits like that on a regular basis. the biggest hit we fixed since ive been at this shop was a 2010 lexus last year that was like 24k-25k. youll be surprised at what can and cant be fixed. as far as never being the same again goes that all depends on the shop you go to. glad everything worked out for you in the end though and good luck with the car
winslow16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow16 View Post
10k thats it? i was expecting some ground shattering number the was this was being described. we have hits like that on a regular basis. the biggest hit we fixed since ive been at this shop was a 2010 lexus last year that was like 24k-25k. youll be surprised at what can and cant be fixed. as far as never being the same again goes that all depends on the shop you go to. glad everything worked out for you in the end though and good luck with the car
ya right ....... I just got into a tiny fender bender, airbag + 2 headlights + a new number = 6Grand..... and it looks nothing near as bad. that's crazy how cheap that is
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Unibody Work: $325.00
Radiator Lower Air Deflector: $211.50
Sub-frame/cross member: $438.10
3 Reconditioned Wheels: $1,083
Valve Stem x3: $38.94
Front Wheel Hub: $149.15
Steering Knuckle: $403.63
Lower Control Arm: $124.63
Front Right Strut Absorber: $101.67
Front Stabilizer Bar Rod: $30.67
Tie Rod Outer, End: $43.70
MIdg Rocker Panel Left and Right (what the hell is this)
Align front suspension: LABOR
Left and Right Rear Axle Shafts: $580.26
Rear Axle Bearings Left and Right: $60.00
Rear Axle Seals: $23.30
Calipers for Rear Brakes: $293.40
RR Brake Caliper Carrier: $46.53
Rear Brakes Disc: $133.26
Rear Transverse Rod: $62.00

Tire Balance: LABOR
Corrosive Protection: LABOR
Car Covers >> Primer?: LABOR
Hazardous Waste: $3.00
Clean for Delivery: LABOR
Pinch Welds(Repair and Refinish): LABOR
Align 4 Wheels: &139.99
Diagnose Rear Axle binding: $253.00
Wheel Balance: $4.00
Bolts for Track Bar and Track Arm: $14.75
Track Arm Mounts Repair and Refinish: LABOR

Total Parts Including Tax: $4,642.20
Total Labor Including Tax: $3,033.31
TOTAL: 7,675.51
DEDUCTIBLE: -$500.00
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

what insurance company do you have if you dont mind me asking?
winslow16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow16 View Post
what insurance company do you have if you dont mind me asking?
State Farm...I don't mind at all.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Unibody Work: $325.00
Radiator Lower Air Deflector: $211.50
Sub-frame/cross member: $438.10
3 Reconditioned Wheels: $1,083
Valve Stem x3: $38.94
Front Wheel Hub: $149.15
Steering Knuckle: $403.63
Lower Control Arm: $124.63
Front Right Strut Absorber: $101.67
Front Stabilizer Bar Rod: $30.67
Tie Rod Outer, End: $43.70
MIdg Rocker Panel Left and Right (what the hell is this)
Left and Right Rear Axle Shafts: $580.26
Rear Axle Bearings Left and Right: $60.00
Rear Axle Seals: $23.30
Calipers for Rear Brakes: $293.40
RR Brake Caliper Carrier: $46.53
Rear Brakes Disc: $133.26
Rear Transverse Rod: $62.00

Tire Balance: LABOR
Corrosive Protection: LABOR
Car Covers >> Primer?: LABOR
Hazardous Waste: $3.00
Clean for Delivery: LABOR
Pinch Welds(Repair and Refinish): LABOR
Align 4 Wheels: &139.99
Diagnose Rear Axle binding: $253.00
Wheel Balance: $4.00
Bolts for Track Bar and Track Arm: $14.75
Track Arm Mounts Repair and Refinish: LABOR

Total Parts Including Tax: $4,642.20
Total Labor Including Tax: $3,033.31
TOTAL: 7,675.51
DEDUCTIBLE: -$500.00
You'll have more into fixing your car then I have in my car. That's including everything, gas insurance, cleaning supply's. everything right down to the little tree hanging from the mirror.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You'll have more into fixing your car then I have in my car. That's including everything, gas insurance, cleaning supply's. everything right down to the little tree hanging from the mirror.
Wow! It is expensive no doubt, but if that's what it takes to get my car running to pre loss condition, then it needs to be done. Cars can be repaired, just takes time and money.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

After school on Monday, I went to the body shop to go visit the car. I just forgot to upload some pictures for some of you who want to see it on the frame machine. Sorry about the quality of the picture...it was taken with an iPhone 4S.

Also, the third picture is what the guy at shop told me needed to be pulled a little. "Along with the cross member/front sub frame...this is another sub frame. Once we put this back into spec, everything else should come back into tolerance and it will be good as new."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2012 mustang