Need help with removal of 2013 gt stock grille! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Need help with removal of 2013 gt stock grille!

How do you uninstall the stock front grille for the 2013 mustang gt. in a couple of weeks im getting the black bullit style grille from American muscle. I want to see if i can get some tips before i do this install. Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2033537592.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	78554  
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712
How do you uninstall the stock front grille for the 2013 mustang gt. in a couple of weeks im getting the black bullit style grille from American muscle. I want to see if i can get some tips before i do this install. Thanks in advance for your help.
You yank it out as hard as you can. No joke.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03

You yank it out as hard as you can. No joke.
I thought so! I was looking at it and i didn't see another way. Will I break the stock grille if i pull it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
RedBeast,

There's 2 different ways to do this install. You can take the bumper off and push the taps out gently. However this is very time consuming! Since most grilles come with new tabs, it's very common just to use force to pull the grille out. Check out at 50 Seconds of this video (The rest of the video doesn't apply do you since it's a different grille):

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

RedBeast,

There's 2 different ways to do this install. You can take the bumper off and push the taps out gently. However this is very time consuming! Since most grilles come with new tabs, it's very common just to use force to pull the grille out. Check out at 50 Seconds of this video (The rest of the video doesn't apply do you since it's a different grille):

-Dan
Thanks Dan very helpful. You guys at AM are they best i have ever seen for customer questions and service.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

RedBeast,

-Dan
I am thinking about installing the 13 boss grill and use my factory fog lights, can i instal them without taking the bumper off as well??
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen

I am thinking about installing the 13 boss grill and use my factory fog lights, can i instal them without taking the bumper off as well??
Dude your car is gonna be a boss. Gt 500 and 5.0 all in one lol.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote:

If i was driven and seen your car i would be confused on what the hell it is.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Haha i will never put a badge other that 5.0 or gt on my car but i am taking all the styles i like from each and making my own without over doing it lol,
Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen

Haha i will never put a badge other that 5.0 or gt on my car but i am taking all the styles i like from each and making my own without over doing it lol,
Im the same way would never put anything else on it then what the car is. But thats tight though. Damn it i love that exhaust you got!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

If I took off my 5.0 badges and did the C stripe people would think I had a boss. They already do quite a bit.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Are you going to sell your stock 13 gt grille? I'm up here in Canada and our GT's get stuck with the ugly V6 grille because of running light issues and transport Canada. Long story short I'm looking to get a different grille.
Nichg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichg
Are you going to sell your stock 13 gt grille? I'm up here in Canada and our GT's get stuck with the ugly V6 grille because of running light issues and transport Canada. Long story short I'm looking to get a different grille.
Curious, what is the running light issue? That is a travesty in my opinion, the grill has a lot to do with this car's looks
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

Curious, what is the running light issue? That is a travesty in my opinion, the grill has a lot to do with this car's looks
Running lights are such a stupid thing. I am sorry for anyone with a car with them.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichg View Post
Yea i will sell it, and i will give u a good price.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I was freaking upset when I went to my dealer to pick my car up and it had the wrong grille. Word is that for 2014 transport Canada is going to allow the grille mounted Fog lights again but for now it's a no go. No way I was waiting that long for my stang so I just bit the bullet on that one. And I totally agree it completely changes the look of our cars.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet you just made my week! Am definitely interested in buying it from you!!

Name:	image-2100172565.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	78629
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet you just made my week! Am definitely interested in buying it from you!!
Omg nooooooooooooooooooo, what did they do!,
They f***ed it up lol, i will sell the grill not the fog lights, is that ok.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ya that's totally fine
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in the same boat with my Canadian GT; i bought an original '13 GT grille including the fog lights and wiring harness from Starkey Industries. Maybe check them out as an option. I haven't installed it yet, and I'll have to figure out how to wire it up so that I can use the new grille mounted lights independently from the lower valence fog lights.
Raf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Did that come with a black grille surround? Cause I hate the chrome. What did you do for your lower grille as the honey comb pattern will be different?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did that come with a black grille surround? Cause I hate the chrome. What did you do for your lower grille as the honey comb pattern will be different?
Yup, it's a black surround (I hate the chrome too!). The kit I bought includes the matching lower grille too; all brand new oem Ford parts!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I looked on the site it's 363.00 for a complete kit does that sound correct? What was the cost for shipping? I'm in manitoba
Old 12-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Do you just yank out the grille on 2013 V6s as well?
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yes but if you are changing the fog lights and the outer trim piece you have to remove your front bumper. It's very simple to remove
Old 12-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I looked on the site it's 363.00 for a complete kit does that sound correct? What was the cost for shipping? I'm in manitoba
Yup that's the one I bought. I live close to the border, so I had it shipped for free to a U.S address and picked it up. I haven't installed it yet, gonna wait til it's warmer out; I don't want to risk breaking plastic components if they're cold and brittle. I am planning on removing the bumper, the kit comes with instructions which make that procedure look pretty simple.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf63 View Post
Yup that's the one I bought. I live close to the border, so I had it shipped for free to a U.S address and picked it up. I haven't installed it yet, gonna wait til it's warmer out; I don't want to risk breaking plastic components if they're cold and brittle. I am planning on removing the bumper, the kit comes with instructions which make that procedure look pretty simple.
I don't know how different the 2013 bumper is, or if the Canadian model has anything different, but removing the bumper on the 2011 Mustang is pretty easy.

I have done it a few times, for some stupid reasons, and it takes maybe 15 mins or so to get it off now that I have done it more than once.

MY ADVICE: really one thing, the marker lights, when removing the bumper, need to be unplugged. At least on my year. Some guides say to do this after you get the bumper free. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. Get under the car and disconnect them first. Only way I would do it differently, is if you have someone to hold the bumper for you, else wise it will just pull on those connectors.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Think ill do the same and just ship it to the boarder. And ya makes sense to unplug those marker lights before, thanks for the tips!!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Running lights are such a stupid thing. I am sorry for anyone with a car with them.
Me.... On my "boss 227"
Old 12-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I assume that you had to unplug your temp sensor as well with the marker lights?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I assume that you had to unplug your temp sensor as well with the marker lights?
Yes...LOL. I did forget that. Yes you do need to unplug that too. Slipped my mind. Since you have the fog lights in the lower fascia, if they are like the ones in the CS/Boss valence for my year, the cords to them are plenty long and you shouldn't have to disconnect those until you get the bumper pulled away.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
I'll sell you my gt grill and surround. It's sitting in my closet. I'm asking 50 plus shipping, pm me and let me know.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Yes but if you are changing the fog lights and the outer trim piece you have to remove your front bumper. It's very simple to remove
I'm just planning on getting a billet grille eventually.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I don't know how different the 2013 bumper is, or if the Canadian model has anything different, but removing the bumper on the 2011 Mustang is pretty easy.

I have done it a few times, for some stupid reasons, and it takes maybe 15 mins or so to get it off now that I have done it more than once.

MY ADVICE: really one thing, the marker lights, when removing the bumper, need to be unplugged. At least on my year. Some guides say to do this after you get the bumper free. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. Get under the car and disconnect them first. Only way I would do it differently, is if you have someone to hold the bumper for you, else wise it will just pull on those connectors.
I couldn't agree with you more! Just took my front bumper off today to install the CDC and we for got about them and it was a pain! The stock v6 grille we could NOT just pull it out like the GT... Took about 2 to 3 hrs even with painting the radiator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1374877528.jpg
Views:	2002
Size:	764.0 KB
ID:	78777  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmiller

I couldn't agree with you more! Just took my front bumper off today to install the CDC and we for got about them and it was a pain! The stock v6 grille we could NOT just pull it out like the GT... Took about 2 to 3 hrs even with painting the radiator
Dang. Why did u take the bumper off? I have the CDC as well. I just yanked the old grill out and out in the new.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

Dang. Why did u take the bumper off? I have the CDC as well. I just yanked the old grill out and out in the new.
You have a GT? I would have loved to of pulled it out like that .. No matter how many ppl tell me there's no difference in the grilles gt or v6 I really think there is after actually working on it lol .. Did you have to cut three pieces off the bumper to make it fit?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT