Need your opinion on a Cold Air Intake and Tune - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Maybe, but the last time I even heard of anyone with a cyl 8 issue was slightly before I got my car. Will be 2 years here shortly. You have a higher chance of getting killed by a shark than your cyl 8 blown from a bama tune IMHO.

Also com paired to a roush super charger it won't be that big of a jump, but the bama tune makes the car drive very different. It isn't a small change. It was a whole new car.
+1 you are sooo right.... Cyl 8 is not a big issue... They have built over 30000 coyotes in the past 2 to 3 years and a hanfull have only had cyl 8 problems from what i have read and most of them are stock... You always get a few lemons when u produce so many vehicles... The tune is worth it
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Maybe, but the last time I even heard of anyone with a cyl 8 issue was slightly before I got my car. Will be 2 years here shortly. You have a higher chance of getting killed by a shark than your cyl 8 blown from a bama tune IMHO.

Also com paired to a roush super charger it won't be that big of a jump, but the bama tune makes the car drive very different. It isn't a small change. It was a whole new car.
how could a 204 hp increase not be that big of a difference?
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post

Maybe hes meaning that you can get full boltons for 1500k and make 450 to 500 which compared to price of a supercharger or turbo whuch can only get you 500 something with a just a 6k kit
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

I meant the bama tune wouldn't be as big of a jump as a roush super charger. Sorry wrote that in haste. It does feel like a new car with the bama tune though. It feels like more than a couple hp.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
i have thought about doing the same but 1-i dont want to void my warranty and 2-ive heard so many horror stories about the bama tunes that i just dont want the headaches.

plus im not really sure it really gives you any real performance gains, sure the dyno will say otherwise but i have seen in person. on my 4th ever pass with my 2013 5.0 car in stock form (3.73's, 6spd, summer tires) i managed an 8.4 1/8th time. i have a friend that has a tune, cai, and radials, rear lowering springs 3.73's and is an auto and he ran 8.1 in the 1/8 at the same track on the same day. im sure once i get more seat time with this car i can crack very low 8's or even high 7's. this is why i say i dont know if the tune and cai are worth it. from talking to people about the cai im finding out that the best intake is the stock one.
Heck I'm bust high 7's with 3.55 gears in a 6-speed manual completely stock, you crazy if you don't think a tune has gains on the track, my roommates car is the same as mine but he has a CAI and a bama tune and he is smokin me at the track
Jrsgrabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgrabber50 View Post

Heck I'm bust high 7's with 3.55 gears in a 6-speed manual completely stock, you crazy if you don't think a tune has gains on the track, my roommates car is the same as mine but he has a CAI and a bama tune and he is smokin me at the track
My point, i bought some wheels now, still stock, im going to see my numbers compared to my crappy base wheels, i got some 305 m/t street radials, thus far i have a ran a 8.410
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #42
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Absolutely tune does a lot. Your buddies car needs a driver mod or better DA to reach full potential. Trust me drive a tuned car and you'll see

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

blackmustang12,

You're going to love the overall power-band improvement of our Bama/CAI package. We see huge gains on the 4v 5.0's with these packages. Our 2012 GT "Project Black-Out" made as much as an additional 55hp & 40tq throughout the curve and peak gains of 31hp!

Regardless on what CAI you chose, you should see similar gains too, assuming your Mustang is a manual. Airaid, JLT, BBK, Steeda, etc, all make great intakes and will produce similar gains with a stock GT. I don't really think you can go wrong with whomever you choose!

I hope this helps your decision some. If you have any questions, just let me know!

Shane
Thanks Shane! I'm getting ready to make a decision soon. I see you guys are running a sale again, and tuners and CAI combos are part of it! Every little bit of savings helps haha
blackmustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #44
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Your biggest gain will come from the tune alone, dont be quick to think or believe that the Cold air will be making the gain. I only have a tune with stock air box, and stock factory tires, automatic with 3.15 gears. Here is my best time:
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Absolutely tune does a lot. Your buddies car needs a driver mod or better DA to reach full potential. Trust me drive a tuned car and you'll see
In all fairness to him he doesn't have a tq converter so he can only launch at 2k

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgrabber50 View Post
Those are good #'s. my track elevation is 600ft and its hard to launch with 3.73's
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

In all fairness to him he doesn't have a tq converter so he can only launch at 2k

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Those are good #'s. my track elevation is 600ft and its hard to launch with 3.73's
I am launching between 3000 and 3500 have to watch the rpms and lights at the same time , I wish they had a after market launch control. The drag way I'm running at is 50ft elevation

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

Quote:

I'm launching between 3000 and 3500 ( somewhere in there ( six speed) no sure have to watch the lights and rpms at the same time) I wish that made a quality aftermarket launch control. The drag way in running at is 50 ft elevation
Jrsgrabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
helloWorld, the street racing forum police will get you out of here. Big no no..just fyi.

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #48
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

That's not true, I've seen plenty of guys launching on street tires at 6k, you can't dump the clutch and expect much, it's all about slipping the clutch properly.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I was so worried about the whole voiding the warranty and said screw it, I'm not racing my car but wanted more so I ordered a Steeda CAI and SCT 93 tune combo. The CAI came in and now just waiting for the tuner. I had a 2011 Camaro 2SS with a tuner and it was night and day from stock so I cant wait for the tuner to come in. If your cant decide weather or not to tune, check out a car that has a tune and drive it and you will forget all about voiding the warranty.

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2092 View Post
I was so worried about the whole voiding the warranty and said screw it, I'm not racing my car but wanted more so I ordered a Steeda CAI and SCT 93 tune combo. The CAI came in and now just waiting for the tuner. I had a 2011 Camaro 2SS with a tuner and it was night and day from stock so I cant wait for the tuner to come in. If your cant decide weather or not to tune, check out a car that has a tune and drive it and you will forget all about voiding the warranty.
Can the dealer tell if you have used a tune on your car? Can it be un-tune or changed to stock before taking the car to the dealer for repair?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13

Can the dealer tell if you have used a tune on your car? Can it be un-tune or changed to stock before taking the car to the dealer for repair?
They can tell.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #52
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13 View Post

Instead of trying to cheat the warranty and ford just mod your car and assume there is not warranty

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Problem with changing your CAI with a tune required how can you change it back to stock with out the car running like crap what with the intake tube being much larger then the stock tube ? I guess if I have to go to the dealer for anything ill just let them know the car is tuned before any work is done, just be honest I guess.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Problem with changing your CAI with a tune required how can you change it back to stock with out the car running like crap what with the intake tube being much larger then the stock tube ? I guess if I have to go to the dealer for anything ill just let them know the car is tuned before any work is done, just be honest I guess.
I doubt it happens often, but your tuner marries with your car when you tune it, and so if you take it to a dealer and they were to wipe and update the ECM, then your tuner would be divorced and then usually you have to pay SCT a fee to unlock it.

I always have been honest it is tuned and they don't care at my dealer as long as any of my after market parts done cause the issue if there were to be one.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your better off throwing your stock airbox back in and return tune to stock b4 taking to dealer... Only way they can tell its been tuned is if u have a bigger problem which requires engineers from Ford to look deeper into the issue... Most dealers don't look that deep in
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #56
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

FYI I have my Steeda CAI for sale in the classifieds

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Why are you selling it ? Just curious since I just bought one.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #58
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

It's for a stock IM and I have the boss. I still have a Steeda, but the boss specific one

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3090802645.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	541.6 KB
ID:	81308

Steeda rocks

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Instead of trying to cheat the warranty and ford just mod your car and assume there is not warranty
I just can't see that logic. Paying $37K for a new Mustang GT Premium and to not have a warranty?? That is why I will wait to do mods to it or cheat the warranty if I do mods.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Your better off throwing your stock airbox back in and return tune to stock b4 taking to dealer... Only way they can tell its been tuned is if u have a bigger problem which requires engineers from Ford to look deeper into the issue... Most dealers don't look that deep in
That makes sense.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #60
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I just can't see that logic. Paying $37K for a new Mustang GT Premium and to not have a warranty?? That is why I will wait to do mods to it or cheat the warranty if I do mods.
I get what you mean but why should you break your car and expect ford to pay for it? I can't see the logic in that.

All you're really doing is lying by doing that. Like the saying goes, gotta pay to play. If you can't afford to break something then you can't afford to mod it

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #61
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:

Accepting personal accountability. Yes!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I get what you mean but why should you break your car and expect ford to pay for it? I can't see the logic in that.

All you're really doing is lying by doing that. Like the saying goes, gotta pay to play. If you can't afford to break something then you can't afford to mod it
Glad there's still some honest folks. That's why I will wait until my warranty runs out before I add mods that will void my warranty. Don't need additional mods to play
Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

You don't know what your missing untill you drive a car that has a tune.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Glad there's still some honest folks. That's why I will wait until my warranty runs out before I add mods that will void my warranty. Don't need additional mods to play
Don't know if this helps ur decision, but most ppl who have had drivetrain issues, usually show the symptoms very early... Once you break it in w/o issues, i doubt u will have any in the future, I waited around 5k ( not a DD, so I rarely drive it) and I did the Bama tune and I'm very satisfied with no issues
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is a daily driver, 4700 miles and not a problem.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Im at 9k, had some ticking sound around 6, because i put 5w50 oil, i dont have trac pac, so i changed it as fast as i could to 5w 20 and it literally went away 24hrs later, should i be worried
Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #67
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
Im at 9k, had some ticking sound around 6, because i put 5w50 oil, i dont have trac pac, so i changed it as fast as i could to 5w 20 and it literally went away 24hrs later, should i be worried
Is your car eating oil? Any running issues or funny smells or anything? Any more noises?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
No, nothing to worry about. The trac pac cars spec 5w-50 because of what Ford deems the intended usage of the car will be. The engines in the trac pac's are no different than the regular GT's. All the same. I use Amsoil 10w-30. My car is a Spring/Summer car only though.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
do you really need a tune on this motors with just a steeda CAI? or is this just for maximizing the performance of the intake?
Brembo Brake package, 3.73s, Roush axle-back exhaust, 20% tint all around, All lights and reflectors tinted gun smoke, 20X8.5 and 20x10 wheels and tires, Lowered 1.5" with Eibach pro springs, J&M panhard bar, BBK CAI, Bama 93R tune, JLT oil separator, Black "5.0" badge, Black billet shift knob
Yuckooo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckooo13 View Post
do you really need a tune on this motors with just a steeda CAI? or is this just for maximizing the performance of the intake?
You need one. There tube is different than stock and you need the tune because of this.

I am sure it would run without a tune, but i doubt very well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake