Need your opinion on a Cold Air Intake and Tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Need your opinion on a Cold Air Intake and Tune

I was considering getting a CAI and Tune to add a little more power to my 2012 GT! I was thinkin about the JLT intake along with a Bama 93 Performance Tune from the guys at AM! Just wondering if anyone had this set up and how it performs. Thanks for any input!!
blackmustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmustang12 View Post
I was considering getting a CAI and Tune to add a little more power to my 2012 GT! I was thinkin about the JLT intake along with a Bama 93 Performance Tune from the guys at AM! Just wondering if anyone had this set up and how it performs. Thanks for any input!!
get the steeda instead
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm torn between steeda and bama!! I've heard good things about both haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm torn between steeda and bama!! I've heard good things about both haha
No, I mean get the Steeda CAI and Bama tune! Ask for the Hybrid tune as well when you get your tunes. It is amazing.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I just ordered the Steeda CAI and tune. Should receive it tomorrow and I will let you know.
nitrous2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

No, I mean get the Steeda CAI and Bama tune! Ask for the Hybrid tune as well when you get your tunes. It is amazing.
Ohh I see!! I never even considered a steeda CAI but I'm gonna look into it. Thanks for the input. What's the hybrid tune like?

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous2v
I just ordered the Steeda CAI and tune. Should receive it tomorrow and I will let you know.
Thanks a lot, I'm definitely interested to see what differences you notice
Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ohh I see!! I never even considered a steeda CAI but I'm gonna look into it. Thanks for the input. What's the hybrid tune like?

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Thanks a lot, I'm definitely interested to see what differences you notice
Hybrid tune takes the low end TQ of the street tune and pairs it with the high end power of the race tune. Highly recommend it.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hybrid tune takes the low end TQ of the street tune and pairs it with the high end power of the race tune. Highly recommend it.
Sounds awesome
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
JLT or C&L are great choices and you cant go wrong with either. Personally I would never buy the JLT because of the look.....JMO. Ive always stuck with the Bama 93R tune even before they joined forces with American Muscle and I been more than satisfied with it. Their customer service is even better.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
JLT or C&L are great choices and you cant go wrong with either. Personally I would never buy the JLT because of the look.....JMO. Ive always stuck with the Bama 93R tune even before they joined forces with American Muscle and I been more than satisfied with it. Their customer service is even better.
Agree on the customer service. They are fast too. Filled out the form for the hybrid tune last night around 6-7, had the tune in my e-mail this morning around 11. Very impressed with them.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Agree on the customer service. They are fast too. Filled out the form for the hybrid tune last night around 6-7, had the tune in my e-mail this morning around 11. Very impressed with them.
Exactly....had my tune for my full exhaust and Boss mani before I even got the parts on. They are top notch in my book.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Does AM have the 13 Automatic transmission tune on point?
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Sounds good man! Everyone says such good things about AM so I will be happy to give them my business. I love the idea of free tunes for life!

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote:

Did u get the tune downloaded yet? Just wondering how the hybrid tune is for you?!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Get the Steeda CAI, I'll be buying my 3rd one for my 5.0 this wk

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Get the Steeda CAI, I'll be buying my 3rd one for my 5.0 this wk
Wanna send one my way while you are at it? I mean since you don't mind buying a new one every few days...Or just send me one of the old ones
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3577876230.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	567.9 KB
ID:	78812
nitrous2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Anyone dyno their car yet with the hybrid tune
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus
Anyone dyno their car yet with the hybrid tune
I will be hopefully wednesday. Found a place that does 2 pulls for 50 with a/f. Have to call and schedule an appointment tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet!! About how much did this run u?!

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Quote:

I will be hopefully wednesday. Found a place that does 2 pulls for 50 with a/f. Have to call and schedule an appointment tomorrow.
Keep us updated on the results if all goes as planned!!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet!! About how much did this run u?!

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Keep us updated on the results if all goes as planned!!
I am definitly doing the dyno run with them, just not sure what day. I have wednesday-saturday free(love my new job!) I just have to see what they have available. If they'll let me, i'll record it too. I don't see why they wouldn't as my car will get its picture taken and put on their facebook page lol!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am definitly doing the dyno run with them, just not sure what day. I have wednesday-saturday free(love my new job!) I just have to see what they have available. If they'll let me, i'll record it too. I don't see why they wouldn't as my car will get its picture taken and put on their facebook page lol!
Sounds like a plan! Haha and yeah, they better let u record it!!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

nice counter top. lol kinna over shadowed the Steeda CAI.
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
i have thought about doing the same but 1-i dont want to void my warranty and 2-ive heard so many horror stories about the bama tunes that i just dont want the headaches.

plus im not really sure it really gives you any real performance gains, sure the dyno will say otherwise but i have seen in person. on my 4th ever pass with my 2013 5.0 car in stock form (3.73's, 6spd, summer tires) i managed an 8.4 1/8th time. i have a friend that has a tune, cai, and radials, rear lowering springs 3.73's and is an auto and he ran 8.1 in the 1/8 at the same track on the same day. im sure once i get more seat time with this car i can crack very low 8's or even high 7's. this is why i say i dont know if the tune and cai are worth it. from talking to people about the cai im finding out that the best intake is the stock one.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
i have thought about doing the same but 1-i dont want to void my warranty and 2-ive heard so many horror stories about the bama tunes that i just dont want the headaches.
Your the first person that i have read that has said such things, can you give more info why you say this
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
Regular
Supporter

You are gonna hear horror stories about every tuner and the interweb blows everything out of proportion.....fact. I wouldn't be worried about Bamas tunes they are great IMO and I've been using them before they joined forces with American Muscle. Their customer service is top notch and you can't beat the tunes for life program. If you want a more aggressive tune then go with a Lund tune. You really don't even need to buy the CAI being that yours already has one and most of the gains are in the tune. You will see a big difference in your throttle response also.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
Your the first person that i have read that has said such things, can you give more info why you say this
cyl #8 issues, car not starting after tune is loaded
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Doesn't bama have a sort of warranty for engine issues like that? They hand wrote tunes, correct? So human error will be there.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

cyl #8 issues, car not starting after tune is loaded
Lol what? Cyl 8 issues have happened on stock cars too...

Also I only had the car not start once, became a brink. It was something wrong with my tuners firmware. Called SCT. They unlocked the tuner, reloaded it and never had a problem since.

Only thing you want to do is after you tune your car, plug your tuner back into your computer and download the stock tune. They can't always recover it.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ive got the carbon fiber JLT w Brenspeed tune... Wouldnt have anything else. Car went 12.33@110.5 with only these mods and slicks. Brenspeeds customer service is top notch
13BLKCYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BLKCYOT

Ive got the carbon fiber JLT w Brenspeed tune... Wouldnt have anything else. Car went 12.33@110.5 with only these mods and slicks. Brenspeeds customer service is top notch
Cool thanks for the info! That's a good time for only that mod
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #31
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
blackmustang12,

You're going to love the overall power-band improvement of our Bama/CAI package. We see huge gains on the 4v 5.0's with these packages. Our 2012 GT "Project Black-Out" made as much as an additional 55hp & 40tq throughout the curve and peak gains of 31hp!

Regardless on what CAI you chose, you should see similar gains too, assuming your Mustang is a manual. Airaid, JLT, BBK, Steeda, etc, all make great intakes and will produce similar gains with a stock GT. I don't really think you can go wrong with whomever you choose!

I hope this helps your decision some. If you have any questions, just let me know!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I really like my Bama 91R tune.... And there is a huge differance in perfomance from stock... My dad and friends even noticed... Never had any issues with the tune (knock on wood. And American muscle/ Bama has excellent customer service and they tech are very helpful... 12.8 1/4 which I know isnt to impressive but it was on bald pirellis and first time ever at a drag strip. Trapped 115mph which is impressive, will take picuture of time slip if i can find it in my night table... You will be satisfied

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G
I really like my Bama 91R tune.... And there is a huge differance in perfomance from stock... My dad and friends even noticed... Never had any issues with the tune (knock on wood. And American muscle/ Bama has excellent customer service and they tech are very helpful... 12.8 1/4 which I know isnt to impressive but it was on bald pirellis and first time ever at a drag strip. Trapped 115mph which is impressive, will take picuture of time slip if i can find it in my night table... You will be satisfied
Forgot to mention Im running a C&L cai and it sounds pretty sweet
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cool thanks for the info! That's a good time for only that mod
No prob...I told you wrong, my mph was 111.6. Thats with everything else stock 3.31 gears
13BLKCYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Lol what? Cyl 8 issues have happened on stock cars too...

Also I only had the car not start once, became a brink. It was something wrong with my tuners firmware. Called SCT. They unlocked the tuner, reloaded it and never had a problem since.

Only thing you want to do is after you tune your car, plug your tuner back into your computer and download the stock tune. They can't always recover it.
but its more likely to happen with a tune. i just dont think the little bit of extra power is worth all the trouble of having a blown motor and then trying to deal with the dealer and bama over warranty. then the car is broken and down for weeks but who covers a rental car in the meantime. then you have to hope that the dealer does a great job on the rebuild and that you dont run into any issues on a daily/weekly basis. not worth the headaches to me. thats why im just going to throw the roush 624hp blower on and use their tune and warranty and call it a day. less headache that way
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

but its more likely to happen with a tune. i just dont think the little bit of extra power is worth all the trouble of having a blown motor and then trying to deal with the dealer and bama over warranty. then the car is broken and down for weeks but who covers a rental car in the meantime. then you have to hope that the dealer does a great job on the rebuild and that you dont run into any issues on a daily/weekly basis. not worth the headaches to me. thats why im just going to throw the roush 624hp blower on and use their tune and warranty and call it a day. less headache that way
Maybe, but the last time I even heard of anyone with a cyl 8 issue was slightly before I got my car. Will be 2 years here shortly. You have a higher chance of getting killed by a shark than your cyl 8 blown from a bama tune IMHO.

Also com paired to a roush super charger it won't be that big of a jump, but the bama tune makes the car drive very different. It isn't a small change. It was a whole new car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake