Winter Gas Mileage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Winter Gas Mileage

I am surprised at how much my gas mileage dropped with the lower temperatures. I've seen about a 2-3 mpg drop. I've also noticed the car really dumps fuel in the engine during the first couple minutes of warm up. I can sure smell the high octane fuel behind the car. Does the BAMA 93 octane tune lean the start any?
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagerlach View Post
I am surprised at how much my gas mileage dropped with the lower temperatures. I've seen about a 2-3 mpg drop. I've also noticed the car really dumps fuel in the engine during the first couple minutes of warm up. I can sure smell the high octane fuel behind the car. Does the BAMA 93 octane tune lean the start any?
From what I remember before taking off the cats, so last winter, no. Car is still going to idle at a high rpm to warm the engine up. Also I think a few have noted, running the heater in the car decreases your gas mileage. I have noticed this on my 40 min drive to work. I get better MPG days I don't have the AC or heat running, and days it is freezing is when I drop slightly in MPG.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagerlach View Post
dagerlach,

Our Bama Performance tunes, aren't designed for a lean cold start- just like the factory is not. You need the extra fuel when the engine is that cold to keep it running smooth until it warms up to operating temperature. Having a lean start could really starve your engine and cause surging or even stalling.

Fuel economy in cold weather- Keep in mind that cold brisk air is much more dense with oxygen and that your Mustang is always looking to run at a particular Air/Fuel ratio. So, if you add more oxygen to the mix, then the Air/Fuel ratio will be thrown off with too much air or "too lean." Your PCM will compensate for the addition oxygen/air with more fuel to get back to the commanded/desired Air/Fuel ratio. Thus, you'll use more fuel in colder weather because of the increased oxygen in the air.

If there's anything I need to clarify just let me know!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
There is also winter gasoline that is used during winter or in colder climates which has a lower BTU content which will affect the rate and quality at which the fuel burns which affects gas mileage.
Nichg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

dagerlach,

Our Bama Performance tunes, aren't designed for a lean cold start- just like the factory is not. You need the extra fuel when the engine is that cold to keep it running smooth until it warms up to operating temperature. Having a lean start could really starve your engine and cause surging or even stalling.

Fuel economy in cold weather- Keep in mind that cold brisk air is much more dense with oxygen and that your Mustang is always looking to run at a particular Air/Fuel ratio. So, if you add more oxygen to the mix, then the Air/Fuel ratio will be thrown off with too much air or "too lean." Your PCM will compensate for the addition oxygen/air with more fuel to get back to the commanded/desired Air/Fuel ratio. Thus, you'll use more fuel in colder weather because of the increased oxygen in the air.

Shane
Nice to know
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

dagerlach,

Shane
Cold air is also more so difficult to travel through. As the molecules are more dense, and move less freely, it is more so difficult to cut through with our cars.

I am not saying that it is the only reason, just in addition.

Freeze safe fuel
Longer warm up times
Higher air density
Use of heaters

A lot of little things add up to make it suck lol
I made an upper grille block I have posted up here, decreases drag and increases warm up time. My engine temp on a 3 hour trip in 80 degrees never hit 220*, it is totally safe, you are welcome to check it out.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
There are so many factors that affect mileage it's impossible to blame just one. That's a great idea with your grill! If you notice a lot of the newer cars even the new dodge ram have variable Louvers on the grill that close or open depending on the conditions. And When these vehicles are running in winter the Louvers are near closed to allow for like you said less wind resistance and faster warm up times. Do you have pictures of your grill with the mod?
Nichg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I posted in my start up thread them, but will add here

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121210_135644.png
Views:	156
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	80263

Name:	ForumRunner_20121210_135711.png
Views:	160
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	80264

Name:	ForumRunner_20121210_135732.png
Views:	168
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	80265

Name:	ForumRunner_20121210_135812.png
Views:	158
Size:	560.0 KB
ID:	80267

I like it, does not lower drag to a noticeable degree, but surely helps me attain higher than average mpg. It looks WAY better than previous designs.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
ALL cars will lose 2-3mpg during cold northern months. Fuel,air density, tire pressures are lower, etc.

Make sure your not running with your HVAC compressor cycling all the time. Climate control kills fuel economy. Always leave the heater control on vent (feet/legs/front) when you can. Pointing the air to the windshield will automatically turn on your compressor.

Run tire pressure around 34-36psi when cold (32* tire temp)

The BIGGEST factor is air density. Cutting through 20*F air at 75mph, takes about 3-5% more energy than cutting through 75*F air at the same speed..... Same reason why a golf ball will travel 15-25yds further through 90* air, than it will through 60* air.....

2013 Boss 302. 655rwhp.
mtrsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrsprt
ALL cars will lose 2-3mpg during cold northern months. Fuel,air density, tire pressures are lower, etc.

Make sure your not running with your HVAC compressor cycling all the time. Climate control kills fuel economy. Always leave the heater control on vent (feet/legs/front) when you can. Pointing the air to the windshield will automatically turn on your compressor.

Run tire pressure around 34-36psi when cold (32* tire temp)

The BIGGEST factor is air density. Cutting through 20*F air at 75mph, takes about 3-5% more energy than cutting through 75*F air at the same speed..... Same reason why a golf ball will travel 15-25yds further through 90* air, than it will through 60* air.....
It's more like 1%. Even at such a high speed, my predicted fuel estimate at the cold speed is like 22 mpg, while at higher temperature is only 24 ish.
EDIT:
this is wrong, not 1%, closer to 10%

Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
It's more like 1%. Even at such a high speed, my predicted fuel estimate at the cold speed is like 22 mpg, while at higher temperature is only 24 ish.
Last time I checked, going from 24mpg to 22mpg, was actually closer to 8% loss actually..........

2013 Boss 302. 655rwhp.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mine really didn't change but my car has a megasquirt ecu and it changes with the temp
Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Mine had dropped noticeably. Last week I had 30 something miles in the tank and the needle mover off "F"

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Last time I checked, going from 24mpg to 22mpg, was actually closer to 8% loss actually..........
Yea, you are right, I wasn't paying attention. Ten percent of 24 is 2.4, so not doing math but paying attention is clearly within what you said lol

Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, you are right, I wasn't paying attention. Ten percent of 24 is 2.4, so not doing math but paying attention is clearly within what you said lol
I hate winter.......

2013 Boss 302. 655rwhp.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hate winter.......
I was worried at first, but as of now I am still staying right around 30mpg, haven't fallen into the 20s yet, thank goodness. My last two tanks have been like 30.01 mpg lol

Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was worried at first, but as of now I am still staying right around 30mpg, haven't fallen into the 20s yet, thank goodness. My last two tanks have been like 30.01 mpg lol
5.0? 3.31 gears if so?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

5.0? 3.31 gears if so?
No, that would be incredible! 3.7 with 2.7X. Sorry if I misled, I don't realize sometimes that the thread is a GT forum sub category, and I just get involved with the talk.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, that would be incredible! 3.7 with 2.7X. Sorry if I misled, I don't realize sometimes that the thread is a GT forum sub category, and I just get involved with the talk.
haha that was why I asked. I was like Holy ****.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

haha that was why I asked. I was like Holy ****.
Haha, I hate to mislead, but I LOVE the way the 5.0 looks, with the fogs and front end...no offense to stock v6s, but they have the smiling mazda look for 2010-2012, my baby looks menacing to me.

I appreciate you GT guys, but I couldn't imagine what I would ever need 400+ hp for. No track or drag for me, just a daily driver.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I went from 13.5 to 13.2, lol
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
I went from 13.5 to 13.2, lol
Mpg? What?!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

Mpg? What?!
Lol, yeah thats what DDing a 3.73 5.0 w/ heavy foot around the city gets you.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Lol, yeah thats what DDing a 3.73 5.0 w/ heavy foot around the city gets you.
my city driving same gearing gets me about 15.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

my city driving same gearing gets me about 15.
I guess I got more HPs than MPGs, lol
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess I got more HPs than MPGs, lol
I was distracted haha I meant to say that was with me getting on it all the time haha.

What setup do you have?I don't think I've ever seen you say.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Im all stock except wheels & S-types. (I have an extended warranty so Im doing appearance, suspension, brakes, etc, for awhile.) I dont see the highway much and Im wondering if these Saleens are just heavy. Plus the 3.73s get you into high RPMs so fast, Im prolly still shifting too late. And we have cold winters & ethanol. Wish I could do a tune just for MPGs under warranty, but Im not complaining!

You?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im all stock except wheels & S-types. (I have an extended warranty so Im doing appearance, suspension, brakes, etc, for awhile.) I dont see the highway much and Im wondering if these Saleens are just heavy. Plus the 3.73s get you into high RPMs so fast, Im prolly still shifting too late. And we have cold winters & ethanol. Wish I could do a tune just for MPGs under warranty, but Im not complaining!

You?
ahhh I gotcha. yeah depends on the dealer. My dealer doesn't care I tune the car. I usually take it there with the tuner in the seat, so they know not to just start doing anything they want with the ECM without going stock first.

I dunno about the saleens. I have the stock 18s which I would say are light, but then again the last wheels I messed with were the 18s with off road tires on my Toy Tundra.

For me it is Boss 302 Tower Strut Bar, Roush Cai, Roush Axle Backs, CS Front Valence and Fog Delete Black Grill with pony, SCT AM/BAMA 93 Hybrid Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears from 3.31 Stock, JBA X pipe and Cat Deletes.

I just ordered the Borla Stingers tho, but that won't change performance.

I also just dynod 411HP and 393 Torque so getting 15 on the city streets and 20 on the highway makes me happy.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

ahhh I gotcha. yeah depends on the dealer. My dealer doesn't care I tune the car. I usually take it there with the tuner in the seat, so they know not to just start doing anything they want with the ECM without going stock first.

I dunno about the saleens. I have the stock 18s which I would say are light, but then again the last wheels I messed with were the 18s with off road tires on my Toy Tundra.

For me it is Boss 302 Tower Strut Bar, Roush Cai, Roush Axle Backs, CS Front Valence and Fog Delete Black Grill with pony, SCT AM/BAMA 93 Hybrid Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears from 3.31 Stock, JBA X pipe and Cat Deletes.

I just ordered the Borla Stingers tho, but that won't change performance.

I also just dynod 411HP and 393 Torque so getting 15 on the city streets and 20 on the highway makes me happy.
Wow, nice man. Id take that all day. Any reason you chose Roush CAI? Just curious. I got that stb but I wanna powdercoat it first, along with some racing pedals I picked up, so havent installed yet. Oh and forgot I have 2 power seats too, so more weight. Nice dealer BTW, I thought mine was cool, lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow, nice man. Id take that all day. Any reason you chose Roush CAI? Just curious. I got that stb but I wanna powdercoat it first, along with some racing pedals I picked up, so havent installed yet. Oh and forgot I have 2 electronic seats too, so more weight.
I chose the Roush CAI because at the time, and lets not kid ourselves I feel like an idiot, I purchased it before I got a tuner. I purchased the Roush based on reputation and the fact I didn't need a tuner. Had I decided to really research first, and since learned my lession, I would have purchased a tuner first, or tuner cai combo. I really want the Steeda, and will get it at some point. probably once I sell the Roush AB.

I do wanna powdercoat the STB as well. All the black in the engine bay and then a silver STB looks silly.

I have Roush pedals, I just forget to list them. They were a PITA to install.

I wish I had the electronic seats, but year, more weight.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ha ha, I gotcha. I have a K&N right now that Ive learned is probably hurting me too. Where is that factory paper one...?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ha ha, I gotcha. I have a K&N right now that Ive learned is probably hurting me too. Where is that factory paper one...?
You have the K&N drop in?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You have the K&N drop in?
Yeah & I saw a test recently somewhere that showed that you lost a few HPs with it.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah & I saw a test recently somewhere that showed that you lost a few HPs with it.
Yeah I remember that. I forget what, but something about that was fishy. I'd have to dig up the thread it was in. There were a few people in disagreement there haha.

It might though.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'm getting 18-20 on the way to work every morning in 47 degree weather
sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT