Question on K-Springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2010-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

svilla00 is unknown around these parts
Question on K-Springs

I ordered some AMR wheels for my 2013 gt. The question I have is if I want to lower it with some Ford racing k-springs is there anything else I would need to buy besides the springs. Sorry if this is a dumb questions, first time posting.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

5pointOh is unknown around these parts
You may need a panhard bar depending on how much of a drop those k springs give you. You will also need some strut mounts depending on how careful you are when you take the OE ones out. Eventually you may want to consider some springs and struts because your OE ones will wear out faster than normal. There is a lot of stuff on here about springs though, so you may want to search also. Welcome to the forum!

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointOh View Post
You may need a panhard bar depending on how much of a drop those k springs give you. You will also need some strut mounts depending on how careful you are when you take the OE ones out. Eventually you may want to consider some springs and struts because your OE ones will wear out faster than normal. There is a lot of stuff on here about springs though, so you may want to search also. Welcome to the forum!
Great info thanks for the reply! I'll check out the other threads.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

GrabberBlue5.0 is unknown around these parts
Adjustable panhard rod, I would also recommend lcas with relocation brackets

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Now I ordered my car with the brembo package. Does that have any changes to the suspension included with it, and if it does, do I still need new shocks and struts?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

DeepImpactPony is unknown around these parts
Front Sway Rear Sway Front Springs Rear Springs

Base GT
34.6 mm 24mm 123 lbs. 156 lbs.
Brembo
34.6 mm 24mm 131 lbs. 167 lbs.
Boss 302
34.6 mm 25mm 148 lbs. 186 lbs.
Laguna Seca 34.6 mm 26mm 137 lbs. 191 lbs.

The (55D) Brembo Brake Package includes the following:

Front: 14" Brembo® Vented Rotors with Brembo® 4-Piston Calipers
19 x 9.0-inch dark-stainless premium painted aluminum wheels
255/40R19 Pirelli PZero Summer-Only (Coupe) or P255/40ZR19 Goodyear F1 Supercar (Convertible)
Different Springs (131lbs Front / 167lbs Rear)
Different Struts/ Shocks (tuned for spring rates)
GT-500 Rear Lower Control Arms ( Higher Durometer Rubber)
Unique Electronic Stability Control® (ESC) Tuning
Unique Sport Steering Control Setting (EPAS)
Tire Mobility Kit Replaces Spare Tire
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Does that mean the brembo struts and shocks should be ok with the K-Springs in regards to wear?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

DeepImpactPony is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svilla00 View Post
Does that mean the brembo struts and shocks should be ok with the K-Springs in regards to wear?
I'd be inclined to think not. Ford recommends :

Fits 2005-2010 Mustang GT Coupe Fits 2011-2013 Mustang GT Coupe when used with M-18183-C upper strut mounts and M-18000-A Dampers Gives a more aggressive looking stance as well as increased handling dynamics Lowers car approximately 1.5" Progressive spring, designed for increased handling and performance Use with M-18000-A and M-5490-A for optimum performance Mustang Jounce Bumper Kit M-5570-A recommended with installation of springs May cause slightly harsher ride compared to stock springs M-18183-C Strut Mounts recommended Note: Some factory fasteners are one time use. Please reference a Ford service manual for reuse information and correct torque specifications. May require alignment after installation
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
I'd be inclined to think not. Ford recommends :

Fits 2005-2010 Mustang GT Coupe Fits 2011-2013 Mustang GT Coupe when used with M-18183-C upper strut mounts and M-18000-A Dampers Gives a more aggressive looking stance as well as increased handling dynamics Lowers car approximately 1.5" Progressive spring, designed for increased handling and performance Use with M-18000-A and M-5490-A for optimum performance Mustang Jounce Bumper Kit M-5570-A recommended with installation of springs May cause slightly harsher ride compared to stock springs M-18183-C Strut Mounts recommended Note: Some factory fasteners are one time use. Please reference a Ford service manual for reuse information and correct torque specifications. May require alignment after installation
Good info thanks for this!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

back n a stang is unknown around these parts
Quote:
I ordered some AMR wheels for my 2013 gt. The question I have is if I want to lower it with some Ford racing k-springs is there anything else I would need to buy besides the springs. Sorry if this is a dumb questions, first time posting.
Alot of guys are telling you good stuff already,so I will throw in my .02 cents too. I have the brembo package car and can tell you alot of what you are getting into.I put "K" springs on mine. Yes you can get by with the OE struts&shocks but you will need to be planning on the purchase of aftermarket S&S or FRPP has them too.If you can afford to swing it I highly recommend going ahead and buying the S&S so you don't have to go back 5000-10000 miles later to replace those OE that are or will wear out much faster after putting "K"'s on. I would have done it all right the first round but my funds where drained and knew I would have to do it in steps as funds come.Plus I do all my work myself so not costing me nothing but my time.
You will need the adjustable PH bar to center rear of car correctly over rear end.
You will need at a min. a set of camber bolts to correct the camber.If you have money forget the bolts and get caster camber plates. There is a way of turning your OE strut mount 180 degrees from the orginal position and it corrects it to about perfect.However I am not sold on that idea for long term.Some will argue this.Be very careful when you are dealing with the OE strut mount as others have already said.
You for sure will need to get Lower control arm relocation brackets.If not you will actually have even worse traction among other not correct way of the way things need to be.
Important question to you is what are your plans for the car? street only,for looks,drag strip,AutoX or what?? You plan to add power?? Not being personal, but are your pockets deep or deep enough to buy pretty much whatever you want? If so there is alot you need to be up on.
I am surprised you did not get slammed for asking this question.Alot of guys and staff (moderators) will tell you to do a search and they are right because its already covered and been discussed a zillion times.It clutters up the board and they have to control it some or it would be a wreck. But anyway man.I would be glad like many other good guys to share and help ya.You can PM me on questions if you ever need to or I could even give ya my cell number when you get serious if I can help.There is a good link I will have to find that will explain some things you need to know. The "K" will look good man.I love mine.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

claudermilk is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Now I ordered my car with the brembo package. Does that have any changes to the suspension included with it, and if it does, do I still need new shocks and struts?
See here: Brembo50.com - Car Specs & Info

I'd do the springs, dampers, strut mounts, and adjustable panhard at minimum together.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

OzzyLiriano is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post

See here: Brembo50.com - Car Specs & Info

I'd do the springs, dampers, strut mounts, and adjustable panhard at minimum together.
What about lcas?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

claudermilk is unknown around these parts
From what I'm reading they are recommended as are relocation brackets. For me, however, stupid classing rules will prevent me from using them.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Alot of guys are telling you good stuff already,so I will throw in my .02 cents too. I have the brembo package car and can tell you alot of what you are getting into.I put "K" springs on mine. Yes you can get by with the OE struts&shocks but you will need to be planning on the purchase of aftermarket S&S or FRPP has them too.If you can afford to swing it I highly recommend going ahead and buying the S&S so you don't have to go back 5000-10000 miles later to replace those OE that are or will wear out much faster after putting "K"'s on. I would have done it all right the first round but my funds where drained and knew I would have to do it in steps as funds come.Plus I do all my work myself so not costing me nothing but my time.
You will need the adjustable PH bar to center rear of car correctly over rear end.
You will need at a min. a set of camber bolts to correct the camber.If you have money forget the bolts and get caster camber plates. There is a way of turning your OE strut mount 180 degrees from the orginal position and it corrects it to about perfect.However I am not sold on that idea for long term.Some will argue this.Be very careful when you are dealing with the OE strut mount as others have already said.
You for sure will need to get Lower control arm relocation brackets.If not you will actually have even worse traction among other not correct way of the way things need to be.
Important question to you is what are your plans for the car? street only,for looks,drag strip,AutoX or what?? You plan to add power?? Not being personal, but are your pockets deep or deep enough to buy pretty much whatever you want? If so there is alot you need to be up on.
I am surprised you did not get slammed for asking this question.Alot of guys and staff (moderators) will tell you to do a search and they are right because its already covered and been discussed a zillion times.It clutters up the board and they have to control it some or it would be a wreck. But anyway man.I would be glad like many other good guys to share and help ya.You can PM me on questions if you ever need to or I could even give ya my cell number when you get serious if I can help.There is a good link I will have to find that will explain some things you need to know. The "K" will look good man.I love mine.
This is all great advise, my plan is mainly street with some drag every once in the while. I plan on doing it right the first time so I appreciate the feedback. I apologize for cluttering up the board with an already covered topic, I had tried using the search on the iPhone app before I posted but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good as the one on the site.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2010-2014 Mustang GT