Manual or Auto 2013 5.0? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
No skip shift on the 13s but I must admit once you put a couple thousand on the car the shifter starts to feel like ****. You can miss gears even when driving casually and sometimes it likes to fight you
didn't know the 2013 doesn't have skip shift, that is a good thing.

yeah, another thing too, if you take the stock shifter, put it in a gear, and then push the shifter back and forth to the side, it wigglessss a lot. The camero I sat in with the MGW shifter did no such thing. It was stiff as a rock. There really is no play with that shifter, which makes it really precise.

I assume the Barton is the same. I was told by the guy who did my dyno run that I shouldn't get a hurst shifter for this car though, he said honestly the stock shifter is better, said if I have trouble getting into gears now, the hurst is worse. They had nothing but great things to say about MGW though. They don't even sell them, but they install a lot of them.
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

didn't know the 2013 doesn't have skip shift, that is a good thing.

yeah, another thing too, if you take the stock shifter, put it in a gear, and then push the shifter back and forth to the side, it wigglessss a lot. The camero I sat in with the MGW shifter did no such thing. It was stiff as a rock. There really is no play with that shifter, which makes it really precise.

I assume the Barton is the same. I was told by the guy who did my dyno run that I shouldn't get a hurst shifter for this car though, he said honestly the stock shifter is better, said if I have trouble getting into gears now, the hurst is worse. They had nothing but great things to say about MGW though. They don't even sell them, but they install a lot of them.
The Barton 2 post shifter bracket will make any shifter more precise.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #73
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Do you have this? I'm hoping it works because I'm getting one for Christmas, but I'm not supposed to know

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I have heard, but I figure if I am going to put the what 70 into that, I might as well save up and go the full 380 for the MGW or 350 for the barton. I know 300ish more doesn't sound realistic, but I would rather do it right the first time.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

So I have heard, but I figure if I am going to put the what 70 into that, I might as well save up and go the full 380 for the MGW or 350 for the barton. I know 300ish more doesn't sound realistic, but I would rather do it right the first time.
I don't have it personally but I have herd that it works better than actually gettin a shifter. Although gettin it with a shifter is even better.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I put in the mgw, feels like a completely different trams and engine. Also, mgw has the added bracket behind the shifter included. Get the heat shield though
Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I guess I got a little over zealous and got a little intimidated with the idea of replacing the entire shifter... Kinda wish I spent the extra little bit and waited the extra time to get the MGW... I have the Barton with the 2 post and I'm very happy with it at least, no more missed shifts, feels solid... But I'm sitting here with the "what if I got the other" on my mind, mostly because of the NVH I'm hearing with the windows closed. I fixed it with buying multi-purpose insulation from Home Depot, much improved now
Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I guess I got a little over zealous and got a little intimidated with the idea of replacing the entire shifter... Kinda wish I spent the extra little bit and waited the extra time to get the MGW... I have the Barton with the 2 post and I'm very happy with it at least, no more missed shifts, feels solid... But I'm sitting here with the "what if I got the other" on my mind, mostly because of the NVH I'm hearing with the windows closed. I fixed it with buying multi-purpose insulation from Home Depot, much improved now
yeah I heard that about the barton a while ago, which is why I put off getting a shifter. I didn't even know about the MGW until I joined this site.

I had heard it had a lot of NVH which bothered me. I don't mind some, but it all starts adding up. Good idea though adding in insulation! I have thought about doing that as there is still plenty of room under there for plenty more!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2
I can put your concerns to rest! MGW ain't quiet
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post

I can put your concerns to rest! MGW ain't quiet
Stock is always the gonna be the more quiet solution, but I'm sure the heat shield helps a bit... Plus I forgot to mention that I added some dynamat around the area around the inner shift which I'm sure helps a bit plus the insulation I would say made it at least 80% more quiet, I'm much happier after that cuz when I first heard all that noise I wasn't happy at all... The starter sound like it was right next to me
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
How loud is the mgw?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What needs to happen with mu tranny to get a tremec?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
I had no clue how to drive stick but got the manual because I think if you want to own a true muscle car you get a manual and if you don't want a manual you don't get a muscle car. Now the guys who face LA or New York traffic every day I can sympathize with but if you're only going to hit traffic occassionally or maybe two or three times a week I think it should be a manual. I've sat in traffic a few times now, I don't work out ever and am weak as hell and my leg is fine afterwards. I've never experienced an older clutch but the clutch on these cars are pretty nice for traffic.
You forgot to mention, you received lessons
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen
What needs to happen with mu tranny to get a tremec?
$7k needs to fly out your *** with no where else to go
Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black

I'll be checking into that bracket. I love the feel of the stock shifter, It's the locking me out of 3rd I don't like.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

I'll be checking into that bracket. I love the feel of the stock shifter, It's the locking me out of 3rd I don't like.
I probably am too. All the things I have read about it are positive other than the noise but that's what you get when you stiffen up your shifter. Rubber = movement, metal = noise
You choose.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #87

AN AUTO! DONT FORGOT THE MANUAL IS STILL HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS. FORD HAS FIXED IT YET. CHINA 6spd.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #88
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

WHY ARE WE YELLING??? Lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

My manual has never had any problems, and i drive it hard and go to the track as well.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetshark 5.0 View Post
AN AUTO! DONT FORGOT THE MANUAL IS STILL HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS. FORD HAS FIXED IT YET. CHINA 6spd.
Where do you get is still having major problems? Not every car is has a bad one . No body comes on to report how good there trans is only how bad it is and complain. Does ford fix it yes they do so who cares if you get a warrenty is doesn't matter. Drive it until the trans is right then mod away. At the end of the day both are mustangs . Manuel = old school muscle auto = new school technology
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's a matter of ppl actually knowing how to drive these MT-82... I haven't had any issues, but I would get a loud crunch in 3rd gear when cold and shifting above 2k rpms... Solution: let it warm up a little it and drive slow at the beginning while cold and it never happens using that precaution.

Unfortunately ppl get over zealous and say these transmissions are bad... U just have to know how to drive them and u will be fine
Old 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think it's a matter of ppl actually knowing how to drive these MT-82... I haven't had any issues, but I would get a loud crunch in 3rd gear when cold and shifting above 2k rpms... Solution: let it warm up a little it and drive slow at the beginning while cold and it never happens using that precaution.

Unfortunately ppl get over zealous and say these transmissions are bad... U just have to know how to drive them and u will be fine
Yea when mines cold it has occasional issues like that but once it's warmed up it's smooth
Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I havent had any issues EXCEPT.....Crunch?! Lol these 6 speeds are junk compared to tremecs. They wont hold up when you start making serious power. Ford dropped the ball on these transmissions, everybody knows it.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

What are you talking about ? There are manuals pushing 800 hp what more do you need . And isn't the tranny in the gt500 which is a easy 900 hp car with upgrades. People hate on the trans but not every one is bad guess what it will probably be in the 2015 to so deal with it
Old 12-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
What are you talking about ? There are manuals pushing 800 hp what more do you need . And isn't the tranny in the gt500 which is a easy 900 hp car with upgrades. People hate on the trans but not every one is bad guess what it will probably be in the 2015 to so deal with it
Lol ok.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Show me those 800+ still rocking an mt82 after a year or so and I will be impressed. As for the gt500, YES it does just fine with its TREMEC transmission.

No one is bashing on manuals in general, wer discussing the limitations of the manual in the GT. I plan to put over 600 at my crank and don't regret getting the stick. It does, however, have limitations (I say a lower figure than that of the auto), but I will be within the 'safe' range of those limitatikns.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Show me those 800+ still rocking an mt82 after a year or so and I will be impressed. As for the gt500, YES it does just fine with its TREMEC transmission.

No one is bashing on manuals in general, wer discussing the limitations of the manual in the GT. I plan to put over 600 at my crank and don't regret getting the stick. It does, however, have limitations (I say a lower figure than that of the auto), but I will be within the 'safe' range of those limitatikns.
Yeah i thing the mt82 is only rated at 380ish tq

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BLKCYOT View Post

Yeah i thing the mt82 is only rated at 380ish tq
Think***
Old 12-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

my old analogy to this tho, is yes the auto may be faster on the drag strip, but only because you have a computer doing the work. Two completly stock cars race, one auto, one manual, auto will win. Then run two manuals, now the guy that won in the auto, might loose because it all comes down to skill.

now for the analogy. You and me are both given a complex math problem, you get to use a calculator and I don't. Chances are extremely high you will solve the problem much faster than me. Now take away the calculator, and now you have to use skill to beat me, and if I am better at math than you, you will loose .

yes a computer will usually win, what do you expect. That just says how good the car is, nothing about the driver.

Same reason I've seen 9 second cars run 11s. Bad drivers.
Actually stock for stock the manual is faster if you have 3.73s, an auto with just a tuner will be faster though
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Just tired of seeing all these damn threads about the mt 82 if you have one and arnt happy trade it in . Really hurts the reputation of the stang when someone googles problems all they see is trans threads . Based on paper people would go get a cammaro which doesn't have trans issues. ( they just suck to look at )

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

No means saying it doesn't have issues. But I really wanted to get a stick but after all these threads I may end up in a auto just depressing is all
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

mine is a stick and love it, but lots of traffic does suck sometimes, but when i see autos consistantly turning good numbers on the strip sometimes i wish i had one but other than that go stick WAY MORE FUN!!

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

I had a Camaro tonight for dinner, LOL those thing suck and are boat anchors
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64
mine is a stick and love it, but lots of traffic does suck sometimes, but when i see autos consistantly turning good numbers on the strip sometimes i wish i had one but other than that go stick WAY MORE FUN!!

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

I had a Camaro tonight for dinner, LOL those thing suck and are boat anchors
If you think that's a anchor you should drive a challenger plus the e-brake is on the floor Wtf ....4 pedals Lmao dodge fcked up bad.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Just tired of seeing all these damn threads about the mt 82 if you have one and arnt happy trade it in . Really hurts the reputation of the stang when someone googles problems all they see is trans threads . Based on paper people would go get a cammaro which doesn't have trans issues. ( they just suck to look at )

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

No means saying it doesn't have issues. But I really wanted to get a stick but after all these threads I may end up in a auto just depressing is all
Quote:
If you think that's a anchor you should drive a challenger plus the e-brake is on the floor Wtf ....4 pedals Lmao dodge fcked up bad.
i atleast like the look of the challenger, the camaro just sucks all the way around, mustangs are the top dog on the street unless you run into a rare vette or something, but most people who have a car capable of beating the stang cant drive or are too old to
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post

i atleast like the look of the challenger, the camaro just sucks all the way around, mustangs are the top dog on the street unless you run into a rare vette or something, but most people who have a car capable of beating the stang cant drive or are too old to
LMAO...well said!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

I love how we were able to set aside our differences here in order to bash inferior competitors. Merry Christmas to everyone!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

^ Bahaha I hadn't looked at it that way
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT