Manual or Auto 2013 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Manual or Auto 2013 5.0?

I'm getting rid of my 97 gt, but I don't know if I should get manual or auto trans for the 13 I'm going to get? I heard people have been having problems in manual. Plus I live in Los Angeles traffic blows. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
After having nothing but manual cars, minus my last V8 Auto... I'll never have another auto. It's so disappointing and kind of kills the spirit of the car in my opinion. In any driving situation, it is hard for me to get the same feeling in an auto vs. a 6-speed manual.

MANUAL ALL THE WAY!!!
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If you are going to be sitting in a lot of traffic I'd say go for the auto. I have an auto 13 5.0 and love it. The sport mode is great and you can change gears with the buttons. While yes you can't run thru the gears like a manual. After you've been in traffic for an hour your left leg will be thanking you! But it's all in what you want. Like I said I love my auto 13 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have a manual and sit in traffic everyday, it depends on you, my leg never hurts or gets Tired, bc this manuals are not old school with a super heavy clutch.
IMO if you want the full muscle and fun car experience get a Manual car. It was never a question for me.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

It also makes the exhaust sound nicer when you down shift and tell people to get out of your way by revving your engine
Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
After having nothing but manual cars, minus my last V8 Auto... I'll never have another auto. It's so disappointing and kind of kills the spirit of the car in my opinion. In any driving situation, it is hard for me to get the same feeling in an auto vs. a 6-speed manual.

MANUAL ALL THE WAY!!!
While I agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757WhiteGT View Post
If you are going to be sitting in a lot of traffic I'd say go for the auto. I have an auto 13 5.0 and love it. The sport mode is great and you can change gears with the buttons. While yes you can't run thru the gears like a manual. After you've been in traffic for an hour your left leg will be thanking you! But it's all in what you want. Like I said I love my auto 13 5.0
if you are going to be sitting in traffic a lot, then an automatic with a tune isn't a bad idea. I got stock in 20 min slightly moving traffic because of 4 accidents all within 20 feet of each other the other night and it was terrible. My leg was killing me, and my foot got the tingles after getting out of the mess.

We were moving enough I could sit in N but not enough I could have the clutch all the way out.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
I have a manual and sit in traffic everyday, it depends on you, my leg never hurts or gets Tired, bc this manuals are not old school with a super heavy clutch.
IMO if you want the full muscle and fun car experience get a Manual car. It was never a question for me.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

It also makes the exhaust sound nicer when you down shift and tell people to get out of your way by revving your engine
depends for me how much traffic is moving...if I have to hold the clutch 3 inches off the floor for 20 mins, I am going to get more tired than holding it down the floor, and every now and then letting it out. Usually when I get stuck in traffic it is no big deal, other times it can be terrible.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
When i go to the gym i try to workout legs atlease once a week to keep my clutch foot in shape lol
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
When i go to the gym i try to workout legs atlease once a week to keep my clutch foot in shape lol
lol, still...

I've been working out in gyms since 14. I am not huge, but I am not a weak guy. Holding the clutch for 20 mins without being able to keep it pressed to the floor or let it close to all the way out, your leg is going to hurt. Some people sit in that kind of traffic for 40+ mins.

Personally even with that, I wouldn't take an auto, but I know plenty of people who still would, just because of how they are.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If ur gonna make a lot of hp auto puts the power to the ground better but manual is more fun
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstovall
I'm getting rid of my 97 gt, but I don't know if I should get manual or auto trans for the 13 I'm going to get? I heard people have been having problems in manual. Plus I live in Los Angeles traffic blows. What do you guys think?
I was thinking about going to look at a 2012 w/auto because of a great deal on it. My ol'lady laughed and said " you don't want an auto in a car like that " , I said you know me better than I do.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstovall
Considering you live in LA like me, an auto isn't a bad choice because honestly there isn't much room for spirited driving here.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Test drive both and see which feels more you. You could also try renting each for a weekend. That will give you a more extended period to make an assessment.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
lol, still...

I've been working out in gyms since 14. I am not huge, but I am not a weak guy. Holding the clutch for 20 mins without being able to keep it pressed to the floor or let it close to all the way out, your leg is going to hurt. Some people sit in that kind of traffic for 40+ mins.

Personally even with that, I wouldn't take an auto, but I know plenty of people who still would, just because of how they are.
I'm confused as to why you never get to let it all the way out or press it to the floor for an entire 20 minute duration and how you can be in N but not let the clutch out?

I'm not asking to insult you, I'm asking because I've only been driving stick for a month and a half and am curious.

Which also leads me to ask a question, and sorry for going off topic, but when I'm shifting while cruising or accelerating or whatever, do I have to go to the floor or just a little past the engagement point? I generally go to the floor or close to it but I feel like I might not have to do that.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
I'm confused as to why you never get to let it all the way out or press it to the floor for an entire 20 minute duration and how you can be in N but not let the clutch out?

I'm not asking to insult you, I'm asking because I've only been driving stick for a month and a half and am curious.

Which also leads me to ask a question, and sorry for going off topic, but when I'm shifting while cruising or accelerating or whatever, do I have to go to the floor or just a little past the engagement point? I generally go to the floor or close to it but I feel like I might not have to do that.
Well when you are rolling at 5-8 mph, atleast with my gearing, I can't let the clutch out all the way, but I don't sit in N either. usually I have the clutch a little ways out so it is catching enough to move the car forward that speed, but not all the way out that she'll stall.

I was talking about it not being bad if you sit in none moving traffic in N and take your foot of the clutch, or can ride in a gear with your foot off the clutch.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13

As you drive your car more you will be able to tell that sweet spot in your clutch. No you don't have to go to the floor. I don't think I ever do lol except maybe when I first start it up.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

And as for the auto/manual question, I don't care where you live. If you are buying a mustang whether it be a 3.7 or a 5.0 you know why you bought it. That being said, I think they should only come in a manual. There is a reason why the GT500 and the other hipro mustangs only come in a manual.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

I vote automatic as well. Traffic is the worst in a manual, especially when it's stop-and-go traffic. Plus, I really like the 11+ auto transmissions. With a tune, they can be real animals when you step on it or smooth when you want to cruise. Thus, I think an automatic transmission is best for you.

I've actually been thinking about getting a '13 auto GT myself. Except, I was gonna install a decent sized torque converter, cams, and some nitrous haha.

Good luck with your decision!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys I appreciate the answers! Yeah I really want the manual for fun but in stop and go traffic it'll be kind of annoying. Look like ill just have to test drive both and see which suits me. Thanks again guys!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
As you drive your car more you will be able to tell that sweet spot in your clutch. No you don't have to go to the floor. I don't think I ever do lol except maybe when I first start it up.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

And as for the auto/manual question, I don't care where you live. If you are buying a mustang whether it be a 3.7 or a 5.0 you know why you bought it. That being said, I think they should only come in a manual. There is a reason why the GT500 and the other hipro mustangs only come in a manual.
I know where the sweet spot is at this point I've just been going all but to the floor out of habit. Rookie mistake haha
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
I know where the sweet spot is at this point I've just been going all but to the floor out of habit. Rookie mistake haha
Definitely do it when the car is cold. Once she has been running for a few mins then have at it.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13

Hey aleast your learning. I think everyone should learn to drive a manual even if they drive a auto every day.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstovall View Post
I live in SoCal too and sometimes I miss having a manual transmission... But then I remember that I live in SoCal and it takes 30 minutes to drive 5 miles in rush hour. Either buy an auto, or buy a manual + a cheap commuter car.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I say auto cause with traffic in the picture it's always annoying an plus auto's are still pretty fun
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I tossed this around in my brain for a few months also. I love in Baton Rouge, La where traffic is a nightmare also. Yes auto is more convenient in traffic. But manual RULES!! I like to e in control of my car, not just go along for a ride
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350
I tossed this around in my brain for a few months also. I love in Baton Rouge, La where traffic is a nightmare also. Yes auto is more convenient in traffic. But manual RULES!! I like to e in control of my car, not just go along for a ride
Nicely said sir, nicely said.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If I'm stuck in traffic all I do is put the car in neutral and just press the clutch whenever I need to move.....u guys make it sound like your holding the clutch the whole time lol
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
To be honest whatever you go with you will regret a little and want the other ! It's normal. I would say manual is more fun and more muscle car feel. Auto is easier to drive and better in certain weather conditions (rain) and situations traffic). They're both gonna be awesome either way cus you'll be in a 2013 GT. So lucky you!

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
If I'm stuck in traffic all I do is put the car in neutral and just press the clutch whenever I need to move.....u guys make it sound like your holding the clutch the whole time lol
That's what I do too lol you only hold the clutch if traffic is slowly moving forward. Which you can still work it you just have your car roll some of the time instead of holding the clutch down
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrc618
To be honest whatever you go with you will regret a little and want the other ! It's normal. I would say manual is more fun and more muscle car feel. Auto is easier to drive and better in certain weather conditions (rain) and situations traffic). They're both gonna be awesome either way cus you'll be in a 2013 GT. So lucky you!
I don't know about you but I have never regreted not getting an auto. I will say it is easier to drive a auto in certain situations but you WILL regret it if you don't go with a manual. 100%
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Manual all the way. I debated but told myself its a mustang, a muscle car. A real car is a manual
Don't kid yourself get the manual.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrc618

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

That's what I do too lol you only hold the clutch if traffic is slowly moving forward. Which you can still work it you just have your car roll some of the time instead of holding the clutch down
Lol ikr
Old 12-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If your going to be sitting in traffic go auto especially if its your daily driver I went to cruising the coast this summer I live in mobile and I pushed the clutch in and out for about two hrs my foot was numb for it felt like two days
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas11CS5.0 View Post
If your going to be sitting in traffic go auto especially if its your daily driver I went to cruising the coast this summer I live in mobile and I pushed the clutch in and out for about two hrs my foot was numb for it felt like two days
Get a bowflex and workout that foot/leg lol
Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Manual is more fun and if your wife can't drive a stick then your in luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle
Manual is more fun and if your wife can't drive a stick then your in luck.
Hahaha if your married then you know even if she don't know how you will still let her drive it.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

very true
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
I've driven both Manual and Auto for the past 30 years. Manual has always been alot more fun, in almost any car, let alone a car with power, but when it comes to automatic, the 2013 with a tune, is hands down the best I've driven. It can be shifted manually, or auto, and with a tune, it's a whole different animal! If you plan on taking it to the quarter mile, you cant beat an auto for consistency.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Every car I've ever had was manual transmission except for the last two, the last one being a 2013 Mustang. I do an 80 mile commute round trip to the city every week day and see a lot of traffic. I don't miss those days of shifting gears in slow moving traffic. The commute is bad enough when traffic moves.

If I drove on one of those traffic free winding roads like you see in car commercials I would get a manual transmission, but in the real world an automatic is a luxury IMO. The '13s have select shift if you want to play with the buttons.

Great car either way. You won't be disappointed.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT