Mustang Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manual or Auto 2013 5.0?

29K views 139 replies 54 participants last post by  GrabberBlue5.0 
#1 ·
I'm getting rid of my 97 gt, but I don't know if I should get manual or auto trans for the 13 I'm going to get? I heard people have been having problems in manual. Plus I live in Los Angeles traffic blows. What do you guys think?

#2 · (Edited)
After having nothing but manual cars, minus my last V8 Auto... I'll never have another auto. It's so disappointing and kind of kills the spirit of the car in my opinion. In any driving situation, it is hard for me to get the same feeling in an auto vs. a 6-speed manual.

MANUAL ALL THE WAY!!!

#5 ·
While I agree with this

If you are going to be sitting in a lot of traffic I'd say go for the auto. I have an auto 13 5.0 and love it. The sport mode is great and you can change gears with the buttons. While yes you can't run thru the gears like a manual. After you've been in traffic for an hour your left leg will be thanking you! But it's all in what you want. Like I said I love my auto 13 5.0
if you are going to be sitting in traffic a lot, then an automatic with a tune isn't a bad idea. I got stock in 20 min slightly moving traffic because of 4 accidents all within 20 feet of each other the other night and it was terrible. My leg was killing me, and my foot got the tingles after getting out of the mess.

We were moving enough I could sit in N but not enough I could have the clutch all the way out.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

I have a manual and sit in traffic everyday, it depends on you, my leg never hurts or gets Tired, bc this manuals are not old school with a super heavy clutch.
IMO if you want the full muscle and fun car experience get a Manual car. It was never a question for me.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

It also makes the exhaust sound nicer when you down shift and tell people to get out of your way by revving your engine :)
depends for me how much traffic is moving...if I have to hold the clutch 3 inches off the floor for 20 mins, I am going to get more tired than holding it down the floor, and every now and then letting it out. Usually when I get stuck in traffic it is no big deal, other times it can be terrible.

#3 ·
If you are going to be sitting in a lot of traffic I'd say go for the auto. I have an auto 13 5.0 and love it. The sport mode is great and you can change gears with the buttons. While yes you can't run thru the gears like a manual. After you've been in traffic for an hour your left leg will be thanking you! But it's all in what you want. Like I said I love my auto 13 5.0

#4 ·
I have a manual and sit in traffic everyday, it depends on you, my leg never hurts or gets Tired, bc this manuals are not old school with a super heavy clutch.
IMO if you want the full muscle and fun car experience get a Manual car. It was never a question for me.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

It also makes the exhaust sound nicer when you down shift and tell people to get out of your way by revving your engine :)

#107 ·
I sit in traffic with my manual pretty often as well. My leg has been getting used to it, though. I no longer feel the soreness that I felt in the very beginning. The clutch isn't too heavy either. The only catch is that I have to carry driving shoes everywhere I go. If I go out to a party, I gotta throw my heels in the trunk, and then change into them when I get there lol I always have trouble shifting gears in heels because I can't "feel" the car as well.

I can't go back to an auto now, but that's just me. The manual is so much more engaging :)

#7 ·
lol, still...

I've been working out in gyms since 14. I am not huge, but I am not a weak guy. Holding the clutch for 20 mins without being able to keep it pressed to the floor or let it close to all the way out, your leg is going to hurt. Some people sit in that kind of traffic for 40+ mins.

Personally even with that, I wouldn't take an auto, but I know plenty of people who still would, just because of how they are.

#11 ·
Test drive both and see which feels more you. You could also try renting each for a weekend. That will give you a more extended period to make an assessment.

#14 ·
KARgt13 said:
I'm confused as to why you never get to let it all the way out or press it to the floor for an entire 20 minute duration and how you can be in N but not let the clutch out?

I'm not asking to insult you, I'm asking because I've only been driving stick for a month and a half and am curious.

Which also leads me to ask a question, and sorry for going off topic, but when I'm shifting while cruising or accelerating or whatever, do I have to go to the floor or just a little past the engagement point? I generally go to the floor or close to it but I feel like I might not have to do that.
As you drive your car more you will be able to tell that sweet spot in your clutch. No you don't have to go to the floor. I don't think I ever do lol except maybe when I first start it up. :p

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

And as for the auto/manual question, I don't care where you live. If you are buying a mustang whether it be a 3.7 or a 5.0 you know why you bought it. That being said, I think they should only come in a manual. There is a reason why the GT500 and the other hipro mustangs only come in a manual.

#15 ·
I vote automatic as well. Traffic is the worst in a manual, especially when it's stop-and-go traffic. Plus, I really like the 11+ auto transmissions. With a tune, they can be real animals when you step on it or smooth when you want to cruise. Thus, I think an automatic transmission is best for you.

I've actually been thinking about getting a '13 auto GT myself. Except, I was gonna install a decent sized torque converter, cams, and some nitrous haha.

Good luck with your decision!

Shane

#20 ·
I live in SoCal too and sometimes I miss having a manual transmission... But then I remember that I live in SoCal and it takes 30 minutes to drive 5 miles in rush hour. Either buy an auto, or buy a manual + a cheap commuter car.

#25 ·
To be honest whatever you go with you will regret a little and want the other ! It's normal. I would say manual is more fun and more muscle car feel. Auto is easier to drive and better in certain weather conditions (rain) and situations traffic). They're both gonna be awesome either way cus you'll be in a 2013 GT. So lucky you!

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

That's what I do too lol you only hold the clutch if traffic is slowly moving forward. Which you can still work it you just have your car roll some of the time instead of holding the clutch down

#26 ·
anthonyrc618 said:
To be honest whatever you go with you will regret a little and want the other ! It's normal. I would say manual is more fun and more muscle car feel. Auto is easier to drive and better in certain weather conditions (rain) and situations traffic). They're both gonna be awesome either way cus you'll be in a 2013 GT. So lucky you!
I don't know about you but I have never regreted not getting an auto. I will say it is easier to drive a auto in certain situations but you WILL regret it if you don't go with a manual. 100%

#28 ·
anthonyrc618 said:

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

That's what I do too lol you only hold the clutch if traffic is slowly moving forward. Which you can still work it you just have your car roll some of the time instead of holding the clutch down
Lol ikr

#34 ·
I've driven both Manual and Auto for the past 30 years. Manual has always been alot more fun, in almost any car, let alone a car with power, but when it comes to automatic, the 2013 with a tune, is hands down the best I've driven. It can be shifted manually, or auto, and with a tune, it's a whole different animal! If you plan on taking it to the quarter mile, you cant beat an auto for consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.