Still have wheel hop. WTF !? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Still have wheel hop. WTF !?

So i had the car about 400 miles when i replaced my rear springs for the Roush lowering springs out back (never had wheel hop). Well i went back to stock springs (long story) and now i have wheel hop. I never noticed it because in original form i never got on it due to it was still new. I replaced the LCA this weekend and most of it went away. However this morning i goosed it a little and BAM there it was. Any suggestions? Sold my springs so can't go back.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I will wonder if its the shocks then, since they got just to be lowered and now they are not... That will be my guess
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
When you "Goosed it" was your TCS or AdvanceTrac on?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
When you said "replace" did you use an after market LCA? Which brand? The shock thing might be right. Lowering a car can put a little more stress on oem shocks, they could be shot. On my 2011 5.0 I replaced the LCA with hotchkis parts and have not had any wheel hop problems at all.
Bluebaretoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Shocks maybe.

Everything was on. I have tried birth ways. Or should i say 3. all on, traction off stabilitrac on, everything off.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try adding an uca.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That was my next move
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Also, some fine tuning on your foot work is always a plus. I've been driving my '11 5.0 for almost 3 years. The only suspension mod I've got is STB's and lowering springs and I've never experienced wheel hop in this car. Most of my launching experience comes from underpowered drift cars, so I've developed my own technique.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Don't get me wrong I can drive it so that i don't get it , however it does it now when i used to not have to worry about it.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
LCA, UCA, pan hard bar.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Usually just lowering springs will get rid of the wheel hop. Something you found out unfortunately.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Are your LCAs parallel with the ground? If they are lower toward the front of you car (shocks and struts not working properly), the wheels puch up into the well when you gun it, hence wheel hop.
The opposite, slight slant downward, will puch the wheels down, planting power. Again, this may be irrelevant. I didn't see this mentioned, but on my phone
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #13

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Usually just lowering springs will get rid of the wheel hop. Something you found out unfortunately.
^ According to Strano lowering will almost always fix the hop. I will know for sure when I get my suspension out of the basement and on the car.
Phoenix335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I am going to repurchase some Roush lowering springs (sold mine on Craigslist) since i'm only 10 bucks into the LCA. This time i will buy an adjustable panhard bar. The wheel hop was the very first thing i noticed when i put on my stock springs on. I feel like such a dumb ***. I should have not sold them and just purchased an adjustable panhard from the get go.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Stock suspension you will get wheel hop. I don't usually get on it hard enough to induce it, but I have a couple of times--so it's there waiting for you.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
most of the posts above are true, I cannot imagine lowering springs getting rid of wheel hop WITHOUT relo brackets though, it would make wheel hop worse. what was the temp this morning? I know it's definitely been cold here today. traction (or lack of) is the cause of wheel hop. if your tires were cold and the ground was cold then it's no surprise you've got wheelhop. what LCA's are you using? UCA made a huge difference for me also, that stock rubber bushing and weak *** metal mount are crappy for sure.

to elminate altogether, UCA, LCA, relo brackets and stickier and/or wider tires.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
btw I just put on aftermarket dampers, WOW, 42k on the stockers, they were definitely worn out after having lowering springs too. Koni STR.T, they are pretty awesome, couldn't justify the money for the yellows though (koni sport)

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The upper CA is the source of most of the issue. I did the UCA first (Roush) 95% eliminated the wheelhop.

I replaced the lowers this last weekend as well and the car is a bit more predictable because it doesn't wind up and snap the way it did cornering with the factory GT500 arms in there but, the tiny vestiges of wheelhop that remain after the UCA add can still be induced under the right circumstances.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
most of the posts above are true, I cannot imagine lowering springs getting rid of wheel hop WITHOUT relo brackets though, it would make wheel hop worse. what was the temp this morning? I know it's definitely been cold here today. traction (or lack of) is the cause of wheel hop. if your tires were cold and the ground was cold then it's no surprise you've got wheelhop. what LCA's are you using? UCA made a huge difference for me also, that stock rubber bushing and weak *** metal mount are crappy for sure.

to elminate altogether, UCA, LCA, relo brackets and stickier and/or wider tires.
Agree - from personal experience once the cold weather hit on my lowered car with the stock "Brembo" 255-40-ZR19's tires my wheel hop is TERRIBLE.

Having PHB, brace, LCA's and relo brackets installed hopefully next week. Also Saleen Racecraft N2 struts and shocks.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT