Another fender bender - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Another fender bender

Ok. So I had a Lexus for 2 years and wished all the time I would get in a wreck to get the ins money for it. Now I have had my mustang for 4 months and been in to rear end damages. Both my fault. I feel like the car of my dreams is bad luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3905903337.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	499.3 KB
ID:	80730   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1104421793.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	80731  

Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
How's that, you said they were both your fault. Don't blame the car.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Ok. So I had a Lexus for 2 years and wished all the time I would get in a wreck to get the ins money for it. Now I have had my mustang for 4 months and been in to rear end damages. Both my fault. I feel like the car of my dreams is bad luck.
Someone doesn't know how to drive
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Mistakes happen. I've beat my car up plenty of times.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

In the 8 years I've been driving I've had 4 wrecks. Two in the last 4 months with my new car. Maybe me getting something I really wanted turned me into bad luck.

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

I can't seem to find any after market bumpers either. Just the rear valence or diffuser. I believe that's what they are call. And isn't that the plastic piece under the bumper (doesn't need replacement).
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lol yea it's drivers fault not cars
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Mistakes happen. I've beat my car up plenty of times.
Thanks. This makes me feel better. Your car is very good looking by the way.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
better the car then you!
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Thanks. This makes me feel better. Your car is very good looking by the way.
Thanks.

It didn't look good on this day...Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1921691873.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	80753That's what happens when a guardrail changes lanes without signaling! Lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks.

It didn't look good on this day...That's what happens when a guardrail changes lanes without signaling! Lol.
Wow. Crazy lookin. Ins cover it?? Or did u have to come out o pocket.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Wow. Crazy lookin. Ins cover it?? Or did u have to come out o pocket.
Insurance covered most of it. I added some upgrades outa my own pocket while it was down. All and all, **** happens. You can either, let it consume you or you can push past it and continue on. I like my car. I drive it everyday. I'm sure, I'm positive it'll get bumped around again and I'll fix it again.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Insurance covered most of it. I added some upgrades outa my own pocket while it was down. All and all, **** happens. You can either, let it consume you or you can push past it and continue on. I like my car. I drive it everyday. I'm sure, I'm positive it'll get bumped around again and I'll fix it again.
Yeah. Mine is a Dailey driver. Wash once a week. Don't have a garage yet. But in 3 months my house will be build and I'll be driving the wife's car when it rains. That is if she'll still marry me after dropping all this money on the car. Haha.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yeah. Mine is a Dailey driver. Wash once a week. Don't have a garage yet. But in 3 months my house will be build and I'll be driving the wife's car when it rains. That is if she'll still marry me after dropping all this money on the car. Haha.
How did the wrecks happen?

And if it makes you feel better, I bought a brand new Mustang 2 months ago even though my girlfriend wanted a ring first. I think she's still going to marry me so you should be fine haha.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. Yeah let's hope so. And I was backing up in a gas station and some dude came in and started showing off with his pipes on his truck and I looked over while backing up. I just started easing the breaks and put my hand on my shifter and hit the concrete pole around the gas pump.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Haha. Yeah let's hope so. And I was backing up in a gas station and some dude came in and started showing off with his pipes on his truck and I looked over while backing up. I just started easing the breaks and put my hand on my shifter and hit the concrete pole around the gas pump.
That's not bad luck man, that's more like "you need to pay attention". Same thing applies to curbed rims. If you don't want curbed rims, then avoid curbs.

You have to create a mentality that your never going to mess up your ride, and then back that up with behaviors that will ensure you keep that mentality. Sometimes things happen that are beyond your control, and that's what insurance is for, but your accident would have been avoided if you had some simple guidelines to follow while in your stang.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My dad feels the same way. Every Mustang ends up being a problem. But it's not the cars fault, so don't think it's bad luck. Stuff happens.
sixxerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Yea things happen, my Stang isn't a DD and whenever I get in it I'm super careful... Knock on wood it's gonna be 2 years I have it and the worst I have is minor rock chips on my bumper, my work car is the one that takes all the abuse and I can drive it with anywhere w/o driving myself nuts on where it's parked or if its safe around careless ppl parking
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

That's not bad luck man, that's more like "you need to pay attention". Same thing applies to curbed rims. If you don't want curbed rims, then avoid curbs.

You have to create a mentality that your never going to mess up your ride, and then back that up with behaviors that will ensure you keep that mentality. Sometimes things happen that are beyond your control, and that's what insurance is for, but your accident would have been avoided if you had some simple guidelines to follow while in your stang.
This. A few things I follow too. Always park/go anywhere where you can pull out forward. This has got to be one of the worst cars to backup in. Blind spot city.

I also always park out. Always have always will. It is nice too because the people who park out with me when I walk back to my car always seem to be other really nice cars, corvettes challengers cameros etc. That way in the end we all kind of protect each other.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This is my girlfriends 2012 V6 Vert. Some careless driver mounted the center concrete median and drove into oncoming traffic. He took out 5 cars and the airbag broke her wrist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121101_121446.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	80810  
Fritzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Wow! What happened to the guy?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing, I think he walked away from it.
Fritzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzep View Post
This is my girlfriends 2012 V6 Vert. Some careless driver mounted the center concrete median and drove into oncoming traffic. He took out 5 cars and the airbag broke her wrist.
Should be thankful was just a broken wrist. Looks like a hell of a hit.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

This. A few things I follow too. Always park/go anywhere where you can pull out forward. This has got to be one of the worst cars to backup in. Blind spot city.

I also always park out. Always have always will. It is nice too because the people who park out with me when I walk back to my car always seem to be other really nice cars, corvettes challengers cameros etc. That way in the end we all kind of protect each other.
But you have to BACK IN to that spot to park initially....

I am surgical with a full-sized truck, could probably run to the gas station and then the store topick up groceries all in reverse. Years of practice and a decent amount of towing (yeah, i live in Texas). For some reason, backing up in this thing intimidates me. You know that guy that backed into a spot but is sticking 2 feet out? Yup, that's me. Because I'm afraid to be the guy that back his (lowered) bumper into the curb or hits the light pole or something.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
But you have to BACK IN to that spot to park initially....

I am surgical with a full-sized truck, could probably run to the gas station and then the store topick up groceries all in reverse. Years of practice and a decent amount of towing (yeah, i live in Texas). For some reason, backing up in this thing intimidates me. You know that guy that backed into a spot but is sticking 2 feet out? Yup, that's me. Because I'm afraid to be the guy that back his (lowered) bumper into the curb or hits the light pole or something.
no sir! well not usually.

I usually park in places I can pull forward in, and places I can forward out of.

I am the same, I drove a 2007 Tundra for a while, for fun messing with my sister at the time did the whole drive through the cones maneuverability test with that truck, but the same, this car I never have really felt like I know where all parts of the car exactly sit. With the truck I always knew exactly where the end of the hood was, where the end of the truck bed was. I can honestly say when backing up I have to go on pure guesses in the mustang.

I get made fun of all the time because if it is a spot I have to back into that has a curb or wall behind it, I will back up as far as I fell comfortable, get out of the car, see how much space is left, and then slowly move backwards, get out again, look again, repeat as needed.

Then again, most people I know drive 5K cars or less their parents bought them, and they don't understand having to work hard for you 35+K car and what it means to own something that nice.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Park assist and reverse cam next time....works really well on my tech pack car with the huge screen. I basically watch the dash and listen for the beeps, no issues at all. The little lines on the dash even line up with your wheels so you don't curb.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Park assist and reverse cam next time....works really well on my tech pack car with the huge screen. I basically watch the dash and listen for the beeps, no issues at all. The little lines on the dash even line up with your wheels so you don't curb.
and the one time your system fails and you butcher your car...

lol. I understand how neat an idea this is, but it is like tech that I know is in some cars now where when you have cruise control on, they react to the car infront of you and slow you down to match that cars speed. The one time it fails and you rear end someone while doing 60+ it is going to be your fault. There is no blaming the manufacturer for the product not always working 100%.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Took me a while to trust it but, it's passed every test I've thrown at it over a year, no issues. It works day or night, the only time I don't rely on it exclusively is when the rain has covered the lens in droplets and I can't see clearly.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
Road Trip!

I try not to go anywhere where I can't have a parking space without other cars around me. If I have to go to the mall, Walmart, or anywhere like that, I drive my wife's car lol. She doesn't care either, because she knows it'll take me an hour to find a spot to park, and it most likely requires a lot of walking to get to the entrance.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You don't use that tech to replace skill, you use it to supplement. I have the reverse assist (just the beeper, no camera). It just confirms what I am watching in the mirror. At first it really helped dial in the rear corners of the car. I back in at work every day & the car is in about the exact same spot every time. It helps when parking at the local car show, too. Too many very expensive cars around to hit, so you learn to be REALLY careful.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03
I try not to go anywhere where I can't have a parking space without other cars around me. If I have to go to the mall, Walmart, or anywhere like that, I drive my wife's car lol. She doesn't care either, because she knows it'll take me an hour to find a spot to park, and it most likely requires a lot of walking to get to the entrance.
EXACTLY what I do after my 05 ended up dinged constantly at places like that
roushcoyotepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
You don't use that tech to replace skill, you use it to supplement. I have the reverse assist (just the beeper, no camera). It just confirms what I am watching in the mirror. At first it really helped dial in the rear corners of the car. I back in at work every day & the car is in about the exact same spot every time. It helps when parking at the local car show, too. Too many very expensive cars around to hit, so you learn to be REALLY careful.
It doesn't "replace skill". If I've lined my car up right, something done without the tech, I can easily verify that and move using the camera. The camera actually has wider rear view than you'll see in the mirror (You still want to check 3 and 9 before you fire out, naturally). If you had the tech pack like I do, you'd understand how well it works. The standard beeper is no contest for that, as is the non-tech pack reverse came with its puny screen.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Get the Saleen rear bumper
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

After talking with body shops. I've decided to get the bumper just put back into place and get the CDC decklid panel cover. And that'll make it look almost new again with just a minor scratch. Cost about 250 compared to the dealership quoting me at 2318 to replace and repaint everything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT