DIY Mesh grill anyone? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
DIY Mesh grill anyone?

I'm thinking over the break I have from school I'm going to try a homemade mesh grill.
I plan on with a drimel drill, removing all the mesh or whatever from the stock grill where I'll have just the outside frame left. Them cut a piece of expanded metal or some other good material ill find at tractor supply, and fit It for the grill then attach accordingly. And paint it black of course
FORDuhl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Don't do it. Especially if your just trying to save money. There's people out there willing to buy your stock grill. Don't take the chance of ruining a perfectly good grill and wasting the time money on parts from tractor supply and a gallon of hot glue. Do it right the first time and buy the one you really want.
It may not be about the money, I can understand the need to feel like you custom made something for your car. But this is the face of your mustang. Get it wrong and you and everyone will notice it. Either way, good luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Don't do it. Especially if your just trying to save money. There's people out there willing to buy your stock grill. Don't take the chance of ruining a perfectly good grill and wasting the time money on parts from tractor supply and a gallon of hot glue. Do it right the first time and buy the one you really want.
It may not be about the money, I can understand the need to feel like you custom made something for your car. But this is the face of your mustang. Get it wrong and you and everyone will notice it. Either way, good luck!
I agree. I don't think anyone is that is bored enough to try and do this.

Then again... You car, your choice.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Hot glue was not an option lol but I understand what your saying.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Hell I say do it, you might come up with something others like... Never know unless you try... Just be prepared to buy a new grill if it don't work out... Or for that matter order a new grill and do the mod to it... If you like it, install it... Either way take lots of pics and show us!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
With all do respect that mesh wire always looks rice
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
If you do right and spend some time on it it will look nice and unique. Just dont get cheap mesh, im sure you can find some good mesh from some where. It won't look rice if its done right. Be creative and think it through.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've been thinking about this myself. No hurry to get it done and I will do it right when I do get around to it. My vague plans are to start out the same way as the OP; I think I'll try to find a wrecked car to butcher the grille. For the mesh, I have a local metal source I can get a nice honeycomb mesh very much like the classic Mustangs. I plan to get some angle stock & weld up a frame to secure the mesh material to and make a good, solid mount to the stock grille frame.

SO, I say go for it, but take your time & do it right.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
I've been thinking about this myself. No hurry to get it done and I will do it right when I do get around to it. My vague plans are to start out the same way as the OP; I think I'll try to find a wrecked car to butcher the grille. For the mesh, I have a local metal source I can get a nice honeycomb mesh very much like the classic Mustangs. I plan to get some angle stock & weld up a frame to secure the mesh material to and make a good, solid mount to the stock grille frame.

SO, I say go for it, but take your time & do it right.
Post some pics when u do
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Doing your own custom work is always fun/interesting. If you don't mind that you may mess up the grille and have to buy a new one, then I say go for it. I've always done all of my own work on my Mustang, even when doing things for the first time when I was 15. You learn a lot about your car with projects like this and it's cool to say "I made that."

Good luck with your mesh grille!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You could get some round bar and bend it to the shape of your grill so if you screw up you still have a spot
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
If you're gonna do it, go to the boneyard and pick up a grill that doesn't matter if it gets destroyed.
If it looks good, throw it in, if not, you saved your original grill

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

And if you do destroy your grill, Shane from AM will be more than happy to sell you a replacement lol
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You should use chain link fence for the grille lol
Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToHellAndBack View Post
You should use chain link fence for the grille lol
Lol
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT