Problem, how do i solve this? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Problem, how do i solve this?

I recently had my suspension done. I wanted FRPP adjustable, but was convinced by a local shop to go a different route. Went to the shop today (and my car was hit by a FedEx driver but that is another thread) because one side was sitting lower. When I asked the guy if adjusting the dampers could resolve it, he looked at me like I was an idiot. 'That suspension is not adjustable'

Wtf!? I didn't make a scene, the sales guy was talking to other customers. This same guy is the one that told me these were adjustable. He even invited me up to the track and said they would tweak it for drag racing at no charge. I don't think he intentionally lied to me, but I am still stuck with something I didn't want. I emailed him today after I left and am waiting a response. Not saying the shop name here, I think it was an honest mistake. What do you guys think?
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
IMHO, I think any reputable business would do right by you. Does the original paperwork mention they're adjustable? Worst comes to worst consult with an attorney. I know, more money, but sometimes you have to. You'd be surprised what a letter with an attorney's letterhead will do.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Better have some paperwork that's at adjustable somewhere lol if you do they should swap them out if you don't I think would be hard . Document everything you do with the car !
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

In the quote it DIDN'T, so I called and asked and he said yes. I called again the next day because I couldn't find that model online and he confirmed again. Honestly, he has me by the balls now, but him and I both know this was a top priority to me and something we discussed multiple times
Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
In the quote it DIDN'T, so I called and asked and he said yes. I called again the next day because I couldn't find that model online and he confirmed again. Honestly, he has me by the balls now, but him and I both know this was a top priority to me and something we discussed multiple times
If they are a reputable shop, they should do you right. They don't want that kind of news. If they want to argue about it, make a mention that you are going to be going to car shows, if you have one are going to be joining the local mustang club, and that the last thing they want is you telling your horror story.

also, I would highly suggest staying calm. Be extremely nice, and I would make sure to bring up the fact you wanted them adjustable, and get him to say that himself that it was a primary factor for you. At that point you've just made him admit he led you the wrong way.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Solid advice. In my email I told him I didn't want to make a scene, but him and I spoke about adjusts tables before and after the install. Asked how he suggests we resolve it. Even if he responds with a 'don't know what you're talking about, I will stay calm. There are a couple mustang clubs here and a monthly car show right up the street. I know he knows I'm right. If it does come to talking to other people about that shop, it won't be an idle threat on my part, it will happen every chance I get
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Solid advice. In my email I told him I didn't want to make a scene, but him and I spoke about adjusts tables before and after the install. Asked how he suggests we resolve it. Even if he responds with a 'don't know what you're talking about, I will stay calm. There are a couple mustang clubs here and a monthly car show right up the street. I know he knows I'm right. If it does come to talking to other people about that shop, it won't be an idle threat on my part, it will happen every chance I get
yeah I mean not even to the same degree, but when I had the dyno done on my car and they ran it in 4th instead of 5th, they agreed very quickly to redo it in 5th because they know I go to car shows and I am apart of the local mustang club, and they don't want me stating, "Well she pulled these numbers XYZ but the shop that did it _____ ran her in 4th instead of 5th and so I know those numbers are not right....I guess I am going to try someplace else that knows what they are doing..."

Something minor like that can kill business. I didn't even tell them they goofed later when I figured out it was run in fourth, I just simply asked them what gear they ran her in. They admitted they made the mistake and then had to rectify it.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
yeah I mean not even to the same degree, but when I had the dyno done on my car and they ran it in 4th instead of 5th, they agreed very quickly to redo it in 5th because they know I go to car shows and I am apart of the local mustang club, and they don't want me stating, "Well she pulled these numbers XYZ but the shop that did it _____ ran her in 4th instead of 5th and so I know those numbers are not right....I guess I am going to try someplace else that knows what they are doing..."

Something minor like that can kill business. I didn't even tell them they goofed later when I figured out it was run in fourth, I just simply asked them what gear they ran her in. They admitted they made the mistake and then had to rectify it.
Which gear 4th or 5th produced better numbers? A shop ran mine in 4th because of the speed limiter...I have 331 gears.

2012 6 speed GT with a 8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit tuned by BBR, GFB Geforce II controller, ID1000 injectors, BAP, GT500 Mufflers no cats, MGW shifter, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and AMR Wheels. BMR upper control arm and bracket, Whiteline panhard brace, BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar. 552/597 at 7.8 psi
6SpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedFreak View Post
Which gear 4th or 5th produced better numbers? A shop ran mine in 4th because of the speed limiter...I have 331 gears.
If you have a manual it should be run in 5th...

5th is a 1.0 gear ratio, 4th is like 1.32.

I pulled 411/394 in 5th gear, and 390/355 in 4th gear.

if you have an auto, there is no 1.0 gear. 4th is a 1.14 and 5th is a 0.87

ALso Sorry! Didn't mean to derail the thread lol.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No worries, I've picked up on a subject within a thread before myself

So... He responds. Says he remembers we talked about adjustable, but not specifically on this package. Then! Tells me bilsteins are self adjusting as if maybe that is what I was thinking.

Finally, he sends another email with a link to the dampers that shows they are not adjustable. Holy F, today is not a good day. Keeping my cool for now, but not done with this
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just had my suspension done, and the shop included the part numbers on the estimate. That was helpful so knew exactly what parts I was having installed.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No worries, I've picked up on a subject within a thread before myself

So... He responds. Says he remembers we talked about adjustable, but not specifically on this package. Then! Tells me bilsteins are self adjusting as if maybe that is what I was thinking.

Finally, he sends another email with a link to the dampers that shows they are not adjustable. Holy F, today is not a good day. Keeping my cool for now, but not done with this
Keep us updated!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
I just had my suspension done, and the shop included the part numbers on the estimate. That was helpful so knew exactly what parts I was having installed.
All mine says is 'bilstein shocks and struts'

Going to speak with him tomorrow... If nothing comes of it, I will let y'all know the shop (and s197 forum, and the mustang clubs) so you don't get burned there.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

All mine says is 'bilstein shocks and struts'

Going to speak with him tomorrow... If nothing comes of it, I will let y'all know the shop (and s197 forum, and the mustang clubs) so you don't get burned there.
Sorry to hear about this... Some places seem to always screw people over to make money. Karma will get those f'rs.

This is why I buy all my own parts. You can ensure what you are actually getting.

Hope it gets resolved. Definitely talk to a lawyer... Some employers have deals with legal consultants for advice as a benefit to employees. Check with where you work. Some downtown courthouses also have lawyers available to talk to for free. Get some guidance before paying a lawyer.

Good luck.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Not to butt in, but I think you are doing everything right. Even at the point when your ready to burn the bridge, you might want to give them one last chance and tell the owner you'll take to the interwebs and post to forums, create a blog specifically on your experience, negative reviews etc. Please believe that you have some serious leverage if they won't negotiate. Also, if he did put in an email that you did discuss adjustability that's probably all the proof you'll need in small claims.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Unless you have it in writing your screwed.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm seeing this.... I want a discount on future work. They can tune a catless o/r system to pass inspection.
The shop can do some great work... I just gotta deal with a shady sales guy
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
I'm seeing this.... I want a discount on future work. They can tune a catless o/r system to pass inspection.
Man I really hate to hear some of your current luck. I have had my fair share of long runs with issues.Fortunately not with my stang but the list is endless.
Listen, On your invoice does it have a breakdown of what they charged ya for the Bilsteins? The strut price each or pair and also the shock price each or pair then labor tally??
Just gonna say.Shop around for the adjustables you wanted and if you payed substantially less then its just a bad deal and gonna have to chalk it up.On the other side of looking at this.Look up the model numbers of the ones you do have and got stuck with and see how close the range is compared to similiar shops. I can tell you and as you probably know....The externally hand adjustable shocks/struts in general are easily 200+ dollars more than just a good performance shock by same company.I am not fan of bilstein nor knocking it.Just never bought there products. I am a Koni fan and the yellow sport adjustables are 650 to 750. The STR.T which are good but not adjustable are from 370 to more like 450+.I just orderd STR.T last night to my door for 350.00 total,but thats on the very good deal side of prices. Anyway just trying to help you sort out basically what you payed for.If some other guy called and talked to another rep and asked for a quote on what you have for a mustang that is all a BS to just get a response then you may have a argument there. Record conversation? Hmmmm....I guess it depends on alot of things.How big the place is and they may suspect.How many call asking prices on Bilsteins everyday you know. I know you are pissed!! I too would be. Especially the fed ex truck. Glad I am not like I was 20 years ago or I might have pistol whipped the driver and this guy who is jerking your chain I would probably make a point to split his wig!!
But no man I agree with my man who suggested staying calm cool and collective.I learned the hard way you can get alot more done that way.Have you gone to the management yet? Owner? I would probably go that route next and calmly talk with him.Exhaust your rememdies with this clown you been dealing with then move on to upper pull. GL and keep us posted man!
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I'd personally not use that shop if it were me. If you can't trust one guy, it's hard to place any trust in anyone there. Have you talked with the manager or owner? Seems like an appropriate course of action now.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Ian goi g to deal with the sales guy once I get the car fixed. He doesn't have to give me anything and if he doesn't I will find a new shop. I certainly won't mind charging my story with local mustang owners either. Again, it's a shame because the guys that actually work in te shop are damn good
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I worked on solving this and was patient. Lost my patience today... Charging me 300 to replace the **** springs I was sold (they are faulty).

The shop is hpp racing... Work appears to be great, but not worth going through the sales

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT