Roush shifter issues. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Roush shifter issues.

I searched for a similar thread but didn't see anything on the roush. I had the dealer add a Roush shifter when I bought a my GT and it does shift better but still has an issue from 2nd to 3rd. Would have the dealer not done something right or is it the shifter. Is there something I can add or do short of replacing the shifter to a better one?
Thanks
13StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13StangGT View Post
I searched for a similar thread but didn't see anything on the roush. I had the dealer add a Roush shifter when I bought a my GT and it does shift better but still has an issue from 2nd to 3rd. Would have the dealer not done something right or is it the shifter. Is there something I can add or do short of replacing the shifter to a better one?
Thanks
are you sure they didn't just install a shift knob?

I was unaware that Roush has a shifter for the 2011+ mustang GTs.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
MGW is hands down the best shifter on the market. Get that roush shifter out and get an MGW, the MGW is actually a good price compared to some of the other shifters on the market.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

are you sure they didn't just install a shift knob?

I was unaware that Roush has a shifter for the 2011+ mustang GTs.
I am pretty sure that it was the complete shifter I will look in the box in my garage later and verify.

---------- Post added at 05:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
MGW is hands down the best shifter on the market. Get that roush shifter out and get an MGW, the MGW is actually a good price compared to some of the other shifters on the market.
I wished I had done the research before buying the car but the dealer thru the shifter and roush axle backs in on the deal. The salesman had the 2012 and offered it to me and I agreed part of the deal and still paid 3k less than sticker so I didn't argue. Lol
Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am pretty sure that it was the complete shifter I will look in the box in my garage later and verify.

---------- Post added at 05:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

I wished I had done the research before buying the car but the dealer thru the shifter and roush axle backs in on the deal. The salesman had the 2012 and offered it to me and I agreed part of the deal and still paid 3k less than sticker so I didn't argue. Lol
I guess where I am confused is roush doesn't make and hasn't made a shifter for the 11+ trannies.

So not exactly sure what you have, but if you do have a box for a roush shifter would love to see a picture of it.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Agree:

Mustang Shifters

No shifter for 2011+ unless there is something new.

That said, an aftermarket shifter (Barton, MGW, etc) will likely cure your 2-3 shifts. I did the Barton shifter and bracket and my Roush boot and knob fit perfectly.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Looking at their site, nothing is shown for '11+ The 05-10 shifters are just the lever. So, there is nothing listed on their site that addresses the main problem with our shift boxes: that big, sloppy bushing. Both MGW and Barton address those issues. I'd swap out ofr one of those (I will personally be going with MGW eventually).
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I was scammed by the salesman! Imagine that! I checked and only thing in the box was a boot and a leather oem knob. I guess I was so excited about the car I didn't have my radar on for getting scammed. I will have to check out the Barton and the MGW for DD and maybe I road course or two. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You can just buy the bracket and install that - a lot of people think that alone improves the shifts. However, you'll have to loosen the bracket later to install a shifter, so it's better to do it all at once if funds allow.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Agree:

Mustang Shifters

No shifter for 2011+ unless there is something new.

That said, an aftermarket shifter (Barton, MGW, etc) will likely cure your 2-3 shifts. I did the Barton shifter and bracket and my Roush boot and knob fit perfectly.
Since I have the Roush boot and knob are you happy with your Barton?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Since I have the Roush boot and knob are you happy with your Barton?
Oh yeah ... 100%

I have not tried the MGW and it's probably even better, however I went for the Barton because the install looked a little easier and I am not exactly a mechanic. However, there are a lot of good videos on both the Barton and MGW installs. MGW sometimes has some availability issues from what I read ... Barton stuff is pretty available.

Now, the Barton is designed to have a "heavy duty, mechanical feel" (from their instructions) and some people don't care for it. I like it. But, the shifts are much more deliberate, and the 40% reduced throw reduces your mechanical advantage so shifts are a little harder.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
MGW , I haven't tried the others but the MGW is heavenly! Lol
Jrsgrabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post

Oh yeah ... 100%

I have not tried the MGW and it's probably even better, however I went for the Barton because the install looked a little easier and I am not exactly a mechanic. However, there are a lot of good videos on both the Barton and MGW installs. MGW sometimes has some availability issues from what I read ... Barton stuff is pretty available.

Now, the Barton is designed to have a "heavy duty, mechanical feel" (from their instructions) and some people don't care for it. I like it. But, the shifts are much more deliberate, and the 40% reduced throw reduces your mechanical advantage so shifts are a little harder.
Thanks for your help. I hear a lot of good from the MGW and Barton. I am somewhat mechanically able to do it, it is not a DD so I can spend the time to learn as I go as well.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgrabber50 View Post
MGW , I haven't tried the others but the MGW is heavenly! Lol
Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I can almost just push hard forward out of 2nd and pop the clutch and hit 3rd everytime. The spring on the MGW defiantly gets it back to center. Had to get used to it from stock because of stock's slop but now I hit my gears 100% of the time!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
I can almost just push hard forward out of 2nd and pop the clutch and hit 3rd everytime. The spring on the MGW defiantly gets it back to center. Had to get used to it from stock because of stock's slop but now I hit my gears 100% of the time!
Haha I don't miss shifts with the stock shifter...just have to shift slower!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha I don't miss shifts with the stock shifter...just have to shift slower!
Put a little extra torque under the hood and the stock starts to give way to its faults. But I could just be getting too excited when shifting through the power bands. Love that roar of the engine!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Put a little extra torque under the hood and the stock starts to give way to its faults. But I could just be getting too excited when shifting through the power bands. Love that roar of the engine!
Haha I was only messing. If I try and go full WOT from 2nd to 3rd I almost always get caught if I try and shift fast.

Exact reason MGW shifter is next on my list of mods.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha I was only messing. If I try and go full WOT from 2nd to 3rd I almost always get caught if I try and shift fast.

Exact reason MGW shifter is next on my list of mods.
Lol, yeah I know you. Figured you needed a way to slow me down.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, yeah I know you. Figured you needed a way to slow me down.
I felt sand in the gas tank would be to tacky...
Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am the same way love the torque and love the speed shifting. I was told to use two fingers to pull the shifter from 1st to 2nd then use palm to push from 2nd to 3rd and it worked as I went through the gears to take down a GTO.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am the same way love the torque and love the speed shifting. I was told to use two fingers to pull the shifter from 1st to 2nd then use palm to push from 2nd to 3rd and it worked as I went through the gears to take down a GTO.
That's exactly what I do ... which is why I like the perfectly round, ball shifter knobs as they work well for both.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

When I first had my car I used to miss alot but after awhile I got used to the shifting and never miss those gears with the stock shifter. Sometimes I do have problems with it not going into gear when I floor it. Sometimes it won't go into gear and have to either slam it or down shift
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I'm gonna give the barton bracket a try on the stock shifter first. I really like the feel of the stock, other than getting locked out of 3rd. If it doesn't work I'll buy a mgw shifter.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I'm gonna give the barton bracket a try on the stock shifter first. I really like the feel of the stock, other than getting locked out of 3rd. If it doesn't work I'll buy a mgw shifter.
The only downside with that strategy is that the barton bracket is not on the the migration path to the MGW if you decide to go that route - I believe the barton bracket is not necessary ot compatible with the MGW shifter since that replaces the entire bottom housing as well as the upper portion that everyone else replaces. You could end up with the bracket you don't need.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT