Road noise? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

Road noise?

Does anyone/everyone else have lots of road or tire noise when cruising in their new 5.0? It seems as though I remember it with the stock pirellis on my 2011. I have been running general g-max 275's on the rear for months now and it just seems like a lot of tire noise?
senseisambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I don't hear much with mine, I have the pirellis...
Old 12-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
275/?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
What tire size and suspension mods do you have?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I put a set of Yokohama YK580's on a week ago the oem Pirellis were toast. And the road/tire noise tripled. Can't hardly hear the Borla rumble. Well, that won't work. Back to discount Tire for my options of a quieter 'touring' tire?..
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

What is the tire size? And you don't need a touring tire, just not a junk Yokohama

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
What is the tire size? And you don't need a touring tire, just not a junk Yokohama
Lol...glad someone else said it...

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross View Post
I don't hear much with mine, I have the pirellis...
Same here. I rarely hear the tires.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
I put a set of Yokohama YK580's on a week ago the oem Pirellis were toast. And the road/tire noise tripled. Can't hardly hear the Borla rumble. Well, that won't work. Back to discount Tire for my options of a quieter 'touring' tire?..
I drove my OEM Pirellis till they were slicks. Had about 34000 miles on them. I'm not a baller so I had to buy the cheapest tires i could find to replace them on my 19" brembo wheels. I ended getting the Nexen N7000 for 850 installed and I have no problems with them.
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Regular
Supporter

Try headers and a OR mid pipe.....you will forget all about tire noise.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srohda View Post

I drove my OEM Pirellis till they were slicks. Had about 34000 miles on them. I'm not a baller so I had to buy the cheapest tires i could find to replace them on my 19" brembo wheels. I ended getting the Nexen N7000 for 850 installed and I have no problems with them.
I'm not saying buy the best, but if you can't afford something more than the cheapest you can't expect much more out of them, whether its a quiet ride or good traction. trust me I'm not rich either

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Haha
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I dont need a track tire so I dont want a 220 wear rating. My Brembo GT is used as a fair weather fun car, more of a fast touring car. I want a good quiet tire that wears well and is good for the wet and cold. The oem's were fairly quiet and great in the dry and warm but wore too fast for the my money. I am not looking for a 1g skid pad tire.... I am not sure cost equals a quiet tire. I have run michelin pilots that were not quiet...
Old 12-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto
I dont need a track tire so I dont want a 220 wear rating. My Brembo GT is used as a fair weather fun car, more of a fast touring car. I want a good quiet tire that wears well and is good for the wet and cold. The oem's were fairly quiet and great in the dry and warm but wore too fast for the my money. I am not looking for a 1g skid pad tire.... I am not sure cost equals a quiet tire. I have run michelin pilots that were not quiet...
My michlens are the best tire I've found for a mustang so far.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
I've used the Bridgestone pole position 970 something. They are all seasons but were 400 each. You won't find a good quality tire for cheap with 19 inch rims. Going to spend at least 300 or more on a tire. Especially one that isn't going to have alot of road noise. Ya those Pirellis suck too. Mine didn't last long.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone run a 19" tire other than a 'Summer Tire'? UHP all season? Performance Touring? If so, impressions?.....
Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Michelin super sport in 19 on my laguna seca wheels and yesterday i did a 4 second flat to 60 all stock, the grip is unreal.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Michelin super sport in 19 on my laguna seca wheels and yesterday i did a 4 second flat to 60 all stock, the grip is unreal.
I want those Michelins, too, but I don't believe they have a 285/35ZR19 that I would like to run on a 19x10" rear rim... 255/40ZR19 they do have for a 19x9" front rim or all around. May I ask what you are sporting with the Laguna Seca wheels?
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You could also get Mickey Thompson 305 35 19, those will be my next tires for sure , right now i have 275 40 19.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

I have 19x9 front 19x10 rear
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

My michlens are the best tire I've found for a mustang so far.
What kind and size michelins?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by senseisambo View Post

I know its not toward me but I have the defender series Michelin in the stock 17 (v6) sizing and there is no road noise. Just feels squishy because of the compound.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #22

Thanks for the input y'all. Lets keep it comin. There seems to be a good variety of feedback. From far too much road noise to none at all. I think this will help us all when it comes time to get our next set of treads.
Again, I am running general g-max on 19" AM wheels. 245 up front. 275 out back.
I will add, as soon as I removed my stock GT/CS 19 inchers and put on the AMs I began feeling significant vibration as I approached 70 mph. I called AM. They suggested I get the balance rechecked. Suffice it to say that I went through quite a bit trying to regain a smooth ride at speed and AM once again demonstrated their second to none service trying to help me. So good in fact, that I eventually felt a bit guilty and stopped bothering them with the problem and continue trying to figure it out on my own.
Anyway, after a frightening vibration episode at 80 one day I pulled the wheels off to take another look. Something that caught my eye were the little clip washers that the factory puts on the lugs to hold the rotors on. I wondered if they might not allow the rim to sit totally flush against the rotor. I removed them and it did make a noticeable improvement. It has been a few months now and the ride is plenty livable. As you pas 70mph it is less than perfect and definitely not confidence inspiring as you pass 100.
I have to be honest, I got into stangs back in 1993 after several years of building Chevelles, Elcaminos, and such. I was looking for all the muscle car qualities, but with comfort and reliability. I got most of that bare bones, hard core, loud and rough stuff out my system. Late model mustangs are meant to be smooth and mean. Never quiet, but only loud by choice.
Especially with what the new ones cost, I can't accept having my 2002 silverado riding better and quieter than my new stang. If I wanted that, I would build a blown and tubbed big block 70 Chevelle. I'd rather have my new stang though.

I should have done this in chapters.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
Regular
Supporter

I ran the General UHPs on my 07 and they were hard IMO. To be honest I dont really pay attention to the noise because I drive a Mustang and dont really care if its not as quiet as a cadillac. Its just never been a factor for me when chosing tires.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by senseisambo

Not shur, I think 255/35/18 don't hold me to that. They grip so well that, when doing donuts, you can hear the fronts squealing from it pushing.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseisambo View Post
Thanks for the input y'all. Lets keep it comin. There seems to be a good variety of feedback. From far too much road noise to none at all. I think this will help us all when it comes time to get our next set of treads.
Again, I am running general g-max on 19" AM wheels. 245 up front. 275 out back.
I will add, as soon as I removed my stock GT/CS 19 inchers and put on the AMs I began feeling significant vibration as I approached 70 mph. I called AM. They suggested I get the balance rechecked. Suffice it to say that I went through quite a bit trying to regain a smooth ride at speed and AM once again demonstrated their second to none service trying to help me. So good in fact, that I eventually felt a bit guilty and stopped bothering them with the problem and continue trying to figure it out on my own.
Anyway, after a frightening vibration episode at 80 one day I pulled the wheels off to take another look. Something that caught my eye were the little clip washers that the factory puts on the lugs to hold the rotors on. I wondered if they might not allow the rim to sit totally flush against the rotor. I removed them and it did make a noticeable improvement. It has been a few months now and the ride is plenty livable. As you pas 70mph it is less than perfect and definitely not confidence inspiring as you pass 100.
I have to be honest, I got into stangs back in 1993 after several years of building Chevelles, Elcaminos, and such. I was looking for all the muscle car qualities, but with comfort and reliability. I got most of that bare bones, hard core, loud and rough stuff out my system. Late model mustangs are meant to be smooth and mean. Never quiet, but only loud by choice.
Especially with what the new ones cost, I can't accept having my 2002 silverado riding better and quieter than my new stang. If I wanted that, I would build a blown and tubbed big block 70 Chevelle. I'd rather have my new stang though.

I should have done this in chapters.
As far as the stud clip retaining the rotor... Yank that puppy out especially when running aftermarket wheels. Stock wheels apparently have a recess for that clip... Aftermarket ones do not and will prevent the wheel from sitting flush this causing vibration. Your 80 mpg vibration issue sounds like a balance issue. Some tire shops have better balancing gear... Find another shop. (I'm still reading your dissertation lol)

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT