Grill preference - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Grill preference

K, I'm trying to decide on a new look to the front of my car. I like the look I have now but saw this and thought I could get it black powdercoated and might look even better. What you all thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-649088.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	82225   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1911004893.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	82226  

__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Actually, I wonder if someone could match the graphite color of my wheel in a powdercoat? Wouldn't be much off from the stainless but something different and custom. It would look a little darker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2480539748.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	82227  
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Try these guys.

Specialty Coatings: Covering ALL of your powder coating needs!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Am I looking at that grill right that it doesn't use the GT grill surround?
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Am I looking at that grill right that it doesn't use the GT grill surround?
Honestly not sure. Hope it's a replacement so it doesn't restrict airflow.
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post

Honestly not sure. Hope it's a replacement so it doesn't restrict airflow.
I'd consider buying it and having it powder coated myself if it is this way. I hate the fact my current grill has to use the stock GT surround.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I'd consider buying it and having it powder coated myself if it is this way. I hate the fact my current grill has to use the stock GT surround.
+1. I just wish I could find the manufacture website to locate that grill. It almost looks like it also replaces the plastic separator between the lights and the stock grill.
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Found the manufacture but don't see the grill so I mailed them.

http://www.apsautoparts.com
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post

+1. I just wish I could find the manufacture website to locate that grill. It almost looks like it also replaces the plastic separator between the lights and the stock grill.
That's what I mean by the GT surround bracket. It is the piece that goes between the lights and grill.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Do u like the boss 302s grille? That is the one i have and it is pretty bad a$$.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
K, I'm trying to decide on a new look to the front of my car. I like the look I have now but saw this and thought I could get it black powdercoated and might look even better. What you all thinking?
I think your best bet would be to get the retro grill from AM and powdercoat it. The Roush one is kinda similar but seems higher quality to me but more expensive. But since u plan to powdercoat I think the AM grill would work best, it'll definitely clean up your front... Too many lights going on IMHO
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3737117084.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	82253
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
This is the roush.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

I think your best bet would be to get the retro grill from AM and powdercoat it. The Roush one is kinda similar but seems higher quality to me but more expensive. But since u plan to powdercoat I think the AM grill would work best, it'll definitely clean up your front... Too many lights going on IMHO
I would get the roush because the other oner that I have isn't perfect. It will require some extra work to clear off the imperfections. I'll see if I can get you a picture tomorrow that shows them.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I would get the roush because the other oner that I have isn't perfect. It will require some extra work to clear off the imperfections. I'll see if I can get you a picture tomorrow that shows them.
Yea I have the Roush grill also, I guess I only mentioned it for price and its going to get painted anyway, but fitment and quality will have to go for Roush... Plus with the Roush bumper it would go perfect
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
I have the Roush lower on mine. I do not mind the six front lights lol.

I think the big opening looks a bit silly, in mynopinion.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Black 5.0 u need some lowering springs it would make ur car look awesome
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I have the Roush lower on mine. I do not mind the six front lights lol.

I think the big opening looks a bit silly, in mynopinion.
I've had mixed opinions. Since I have the tvs inter cooler behind it I like the unrestriction of airflow. But I'm not on a track so probably won't see the benefit of open versus having the grill.
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka

I've had mixed opinions. Since I have the tvs inter cooler behind it I like the unrestriction of airflow. But I'm not on a track so probably won't see the benefit of open versus having the grill.
Tvs intercooler? What does that do? I mean, the GT500 has a big goofy opening...lol, but I like that one
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Tvs intercooler? What does that do? I mean, the GT500 has a big goofy opening...lol, but I like that one
The intercooler for both tvs2300 eaton superchargers used in the Roush and '13 GT 500 is mounted below and in front of the radiator. Most of the airflow from the lower dam is directed upward into the cooler.
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka

The intercooler for both tvs2300 eaton superchargers used in the Roush and '13 GT 500 is mounted below and in front of the radiator. Most of the airflow from the lower dam is directed upward into the cooler.
Ahh, makes sense. I would still do a partial, like my lower, but I would not do a full, like my upper. I didn't realize we were talking supercharger here. I always think air flow to sc is moreimportant than cooling power, is that fairly accurate or no?
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Ahh, makes sense. I would still do a partial, like my lower, but I would not do a full, like my upper. I didn't realize we were talking supercharger here. I always think air flow to sc is moreimportant than cooling power, is that fairly accurate or no?
You would be correct. More air into airbox will give most gains. So if I powder the grill graphite I would like to paint the outer portion some accent color.

Avenged has his yellow. I might switch to a gloss black. I just don't know. Want to stay clean but yet stand out. What color scheme combos anyone think of?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-169875918.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	82267  
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post

You would be correct. More air into airbox will give most gains. So if I powder the grill graphite I would like to paint the outer portion some accent color.

Avenged has his yellow. I might switch to a gloss black. I just don't know. Want to stay clean but yet stand out. What color scheme combos anyone think of?
With most of these grills the outer portion still gets reused, it's basically replacing just the center. I'm sure with that setup painted in graphite would definitely look nice and also stand out as being unique w/o overdoing it
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Well, after getting the run around with APS I was send the link below. Does not look like their grill in the picture. I bet it was a custom job they are not releasing. I may look around for someone looking for a custom fabrication challenge. I really like the clean look all the way across to the lights hiding the plastic. Or may just cave and get the Roush grill. Just want something different.

http://www.apsautoparts.com/quick_se...656A&keywords=
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:05 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.