painting stock wheels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
sammy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: blackwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 71
painting stock wheels

i want my wheels to be black because im going for the blacked out look. i plan on just getting new wheels asap however im almost done appearance wise and i cant stand looking at my wheels anymore. i have zero intentions of selling my stock wheels ever. any opinions or advice on painting my stock wheels?
sammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
kintsgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: south central
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 25
Powder coat?
kintsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sammy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: blackwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kintsgt View Post
Powder coat?

i was thinking that but i would be spending like $400. im currently saving for new wheels probaby gonna do it around spring time. i feel like the 400 i would spend to powder coat is just money i could be saving for new wheels
sammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
yet again haha, what is wrong with plasti dip?
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Am3gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 177
Plastidip, some one will say it, it is cheaper then powder coating, and it will do what you want till you get the new wheels..
__________________
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
sammy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: blackwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 71
can I just spray paint? I'm afraid the plasti dip will chip when I wash it, and I want it to be really glossy
sammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post
can I just spray paint? I'm afraid the plasti dip will chip when I wash it, and I want it to be really glossy
plasti dipp once dried won't chip...

mine has been through salt and snow, a car wash, and my hose. Still same as the day I put it on.

Also you can buy the glossifier and spray that on and it becomes glossy.

total cost? $35 max.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
sammy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: blackwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

plasti dipp once dried won't chip...

mine has been through salt and snow, a car wash, and my hose. Still same as the day I put it on.

Also you can buy the glossifier and spray that on and it becomes glossy.

total cost? $35 max.
where dipyourcar.com? I found plasti at Home Depot but no glossifier
sammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post
can I just spray paint? I'm afraid the plasti dip will chip when I wash it, and I want it to be really glossy
Nothing wrong with spay paint I used tractor enamel on mine
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post
where dipyourcar.com? I found plasti at Home Depot but no glossifier
yeah that site. I haven't seen it anywhere else. Personally I ended up liking the matte black even though my car is themed glossy red and black.

I mean worst case, $24 for four cans, spray your wheels and if you don't like it, peel it all off.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
sammy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: blackwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

yeah that site. I haven't seen it anywhere else. Personally I ended up liking the matte black even though my car is themed glossy red and black.

I mean worst case, $24 for four cans, spray your wheels and if you don't like it, peel it all off.
true true
sammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Here are my 2011 stock 18s plasti dipped. Paid like 24 dollars including tax buying the plasti dip at Lowes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121228_223809.png
Views:	5888
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	83215
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheAdrianHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ft Drum, NY
Region: New York
Posts: 105
If u don't want to order the glossifier from the website you could just plastidip them then use gloss spray paint over it. That's what I'm doing
TheAdrianHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post
where dipyourcar.com? I found plasti at Home Depot but no glossifier
The most you will usually find at hardware stores is black and white, any other types you gotta go to dipyourcar.com

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdrianHand View Post
If u don't want to order the glossifier from the website you could just plastidip them then use gloss spray paint over it. That's what I'm doing
Doesn't work that great. It will have the same effect visual wise, but i garuntee you that it will take you a very long time to take it off if you ever do because it doesn't peel off. If you use regular gloss over the plasti dip it will break and chip when you take if off making it a serious B*tch to take off.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheAdrianHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ft Drum, NY
Region: New York
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The most you will usually find at hardware stores is black and white, any other types you gotta go to dipyourcar.com

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------


Doesn't work that great. It will have the same effect visual wise, but i garuntee you that it will take you a very long time to take it off if you ever do because it doesn't peel off. If you use regular gloss over the plasti dip it will break and chip when you take if off making it a serious B*tch to take off.
Ya that's the downside to that but I don't mind spending the extra time to peel it off later. I'd imagine it will hold better than a rubber coating
TheAdrianHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Never thought I'd say it in a thousand years, plastic dip. That way you still have the stock wheels if you ever trade.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
sammy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: blackwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdrianHand View Post

Ya that's the downside to that but I don't mind spending the extra time to peel it off later. I'd imagine it will hold better than a rubber coating
same I don't plan on peeling it off
sammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Am3gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 177
A lot of people talk so much crap about plasti dip, I did my challenger wheels, held up great... Did my mustang with in the first week of having the car, still holding up great. I go to the local car wash and use the power sprayer on them, never had an issue. I know my car only has 1700 miles, but she gets washed every week or so. A the very least rinsed off.. Powder coating is great, but expensive. At the very least the plasti dip will give you an idea of what your car will look like if you do choose to buy new rims. What you could do is use you stock rims in the winter, put some good snow tires on them, and then buy what wheels you want for the summer fun driving.
__________________
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
redbeast0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Here are my 2011 stock 18s plasti dipped. Paid like 24 dollars including tax buying the plasti dip at Lowes.
That actually looks really good. How many cans did you buy and did you remove the wheels
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
BUSHGUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 280
Plastidip them. Get the glossifier from dipyourcar. Lowes doesnt sell gloss. Heres mine i did. No issues at all.


Even did my vents and 5.0 emblems

BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post
i want my wheels to be black because im going for the blacked out look. i plan on just getting new wheels asap however im almost done appearance wise and i cant stand looking at my wheels anymore. i have zero intentions of selling my stock wheels ever. any opinions or advice on painting my stock wheels?
I thought the same as u as far as not getting rid of my stock wheels, I have the same ones. But after I put on the Eibach springs I saw how silly the stock wheels look now cuz theyre tucked in now and it's even more obvious how skinny they are now. Definitely don't spend the $$ to powdercoat, if on factory stance I say go for it, but I know u have no intention to raise to 4x4 height again and will never have any use for the stock wheels again.... I wanna get rid of my factory wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-59716759.png
Views:	251
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	83282  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
sammy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: blackwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

I thought the same as u as far as not getting rid of my stock wheels, I have the same ones. But after I put on the Eibach springs I saw how silly the stock wheels look now cuz theyre tucked in now and it's even more obvious how skinny they are now. Definitely don't spend the $$ to powdercoat, if on factory stance I say go for it, but I know u have no intention to raise to 4x4 height again and will never have any use for the stock wheels again.... I wanna get rid of my factory wheels
I hate the style of those wheels too not my taste. I just need them to be black to go with the theme of the rest of the car ya know. ill buy new wheels as soon as I save some $
sammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post

I hate the style of those wheels too not my taste. I just need them to be black to go with the theme of the rest of the car ya know. ill buy new wheels as soon as I save some $
Plastidip would be the smartest solution, I never used it on wheels but heard great things about it, and u can't beat the price. I tried it on the emblems on my work car and its as simple as it gets, this stuff is good
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post

That actually looks really good. How many cans did you buy and did you remove the wheels
Got 4 cans, and if I hadn't of goofed one rim up trying to be fancy would have only used 3. Ended up redoing one wheel.

Yes I took the wheels off.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
M3hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 183
Your car with the black brembo wheels looks great!!, I'm planing to take the same direction (plastidip) after I replace my front tires. Powder coat is the best way, but to expensive to consider it as an option.
__________________
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
redbeast0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Got 4 cans, and if I hadn't of goofed one rim up trying to be fancy would have only used 3. Ended up redoing one wheel.

Yes I took the wheels off.
Im doing this next week for sure! Already got the dip. You have inspired me. Looks great on ur car.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post

Im doing this next week for sure! Already got the dip. You have inspired me. Looks great on ur car.
Thanks man! Only advice is build up about 5 layers. Don't try and get the whole rim covered on the first coat. That was my biggest mistake and it ran everywhere and looked bad.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
redbeast0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Thanks man! Only advice is build up about 5 layers. Don't try and get the whole rim covered on the first coat. That was my biggest mistake and it ran everywhere and looked bad.
Yeah for sure i used it before on my spoiler.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy13 View Post

same I don't plan on peeling it off
I painted mine
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1082666077.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	542.2 KB
ID:	83374   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-858558814.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	83375  

alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Region: California
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Here are my 2011 stock 18s plasti dipped. Paid like 24 dollars including tax buying the plasti dip at Lowes.
Looks beautimous, all you need now is black 5.0 badges
__________________
2008 4.0 SOLD (I will miss my first stang forever)
2011 5.0 black on black with 3.73 manual and I still get over 26 mpg
stangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post

Looks beautimous, all you need now is black 5.0 badges
Yeah come nicer weather that is happening for sure.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.