Steeda shifter bracket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Steeda shifter bracket

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you installed the steeda shifter bracket? I have been fighting for at least an hour trying to put that thing on and still no success. I removed the OEM one easily but I can't get the new one on with the new bushings and all. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Notch to the top
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the bump but after fighting with this thing all day I finally got it on. I ended up dropping the drive shaft and sliding it on. This thing sure was a pain in the @$$ but hopefully it will be well worth it. Gotta eat dinner then I will finish it up and take her for a spin.

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Let us know if it works. I love the feel of the stock shifter, just not the locking me out of gear part.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just came across this thread ... and it sounds like all is good.

Let us know what you think!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Just came across this thread ... and it sounds like all is good.

Let us know what you think!

Best Regards,

TJ
What's the proper name for the part TJ.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #7

Region: California
I have a Steeda TriAx and bushing sitting in my shop just waiting to go in. My son did the whole job real quick on his 2013. Me, im having 2nd thoughts cuz I kinda like the OEM shifter feel. I do know that the OEM bushing and bracket look chintzy..
'13 GT Prem 400A, Sterling Grey, Black/Charcoal, Brembo brakes, Security pkg, BU camera.
GTOdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so last night I took my car for a spin after everything was buttoned up and all I can say is wow! I'll be honest, I also did like the original shifter feel but I bought the SR Performance shifter from AM because it was on sale for like $100 bucks. The shifts are not noticeably shorter but they definitely do inspire confidence when shifting. They click into gears and retains the reverse lockout. The spring is much stiffer though, so you have to really push down to put it in reverse.

Now for the base bushing, which is right here tc x 4, Steeda Mustang Shifter Base Bushing (11-13 GT;V6) 555-7090 - Free Shipping!. The piece itself is beautiful and I wish people could actually see it. However, it was really about to make me have toss it across the street. I tried everything possible to put it on without dropping the drive shaft but couldn't avoid it. Looking back I would have done it right away because it would've been a 25 min job. Functionality wise, I think the bracket is awesome. Like I said, I combined it with decent shifter and gave my car a quick spin that included a few aggressive shifts and didn't miss a shift. Overall, I am very happy and only spent less than $200 bucks.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the link. Do you feel it was the bracket, or the new shifter that made the difference.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

From what I understand, it is mostly the bracket. If you want I can show you what the factory flimsy POS looks like. I can't say for sure though since I did them both at the same time. The steeda bracket comes with two different bushings, a black one and a red one. I used the black one, which is the firmest will allow very minimal flex under hard acceleration. The red will allow more flex but still 5x harder than stock. Downside though is the harder bushing is the more noise and vibration you will get. I believe that is how that goes..someone correct me if I am wrong. Either way, I didn't notice anything increased vibration or noise but then again I did have my music up and pipes roaring lol.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you are a wee bit toight to the driveshaft, just take a handfile and knock a mm off the bottom corner of the bracket that's interfering. It is snug but it can go on w/o removing the driveshaft, usually without any modification. Red bushing needs silicon brake grease or similar to slick it up enough to go over the button on the back of the shifter box.

I'm using it with a stock shifter and a billiard-ball knob and it's pretty damn good for a mostly factory piece. I do run the car at the track and it really helps there.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #12

Region: Texas
I have that same set-up on my Gt and I had the same problem with getting it on. My bro got it on easy on my dad's v6, but when I did it, it took like an hour, finally ended up spraying brake fluid on the bushing to get it on the bracket. Was a pain, but results were awesome. I liked the stock shifter as well but got the SR shifter for exmas and was not a bad install and shifts are much better.
my12gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I too like the stock shifter in my 401A. I did the Energy Suspension prothane replacement bushing that retains the oem metal frame of the rear bracket. This firmed things up nicely and was cheap! $14.... I do not track my car. I do enjoy the heck out of driving her and smile every time I hit the starter on this bad bringing her to life, she likes to play.
Did I see some one makes poly bushings for the front internal of the oem shifter?... enjoy

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=4.1134
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT