same old thread. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
same old thread.

Before I even ask I know this has been covered hundreds of times before and answers have been passed down from generations of scholars and gents.
I am going to do a CAI and bama tune from AM so should I do the combo with tuner and the air raid intake, or buy seperate and spend the extra on a better intake? I plan on buying the boss mani later on, also is there a specific intake that works best with the boss manifold? My car is automatic also.
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry not the air raid, the jlt intake and tune combo
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You should be fine with either one. I'd go with the one I liked the looks of best. Some are a little better than others, but I don't think It's enough to worry about.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

As far as working with the boss,IDK
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
With the Boss Manifold any CAI would fit. It'd be a bit of a stretch. You could wait and buy everything together and order a CAI that's designed for the Boss Manifold. Or you could buy the Boss Manifold and a tuner and get the adapter that will allow you to use your stock air intake.

I went with the Boss IM and steeda CAI with the SCT FX3 tuner with free Bama tunes for life. No buyers remorse yet. I love that combo.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
With the Boss Manifold any CAI would fit. It'd be a bit of a stretch. You could wait and buy everything together and order a CAI that's designed for the Boss Manifold. Or you could buy the Boss Manifold and a tuner and get the adapter that will allow you to use your stock air intake.

I went with the Boss IM and steeda CAI with the SCT FX3 tuner with free Bama tunes for life. No buyers remorse yet. I love that combo.
Haha I could wait but thats no fun...my plan is to just get an intake and tune for now, and maybe get the boss mani sometime down the road. Is the boss mani worth the money?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Get the Steeda.

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator View Post

Haha I could wait but thats no fun...my plan is to just get an intake and tune for now, and maybe get the boss mani sometime down the road. Is the boss mani worth the money?
I think it is. I bought mine for $350 before the price hike. I think it looks sharp I haven't the slightest idea what the gains are, I've never had mine dyno'd.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

I think it is. I bought mine for $350 before the price hike. I think it looks sharp I haven't the slightest idea what the gains are, I've never had mine dyno'd.
Thanks for the input. Trying to get everything lined out before the drag strip opens back up this spring
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Thanks for the input. Trying to get everything lined out before the drag strip opens back up this spring
Cool. Good luck man!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Before I even ask I know this has been covered hundreds of times before and answers have been passed down from generations of scholars and gents.
I am going to do a CAI and bama tune from AM so should I do the combo with tuner and the air raid intake, or buy seperate and spend the extra on a better intake? I plan on buying the boss mani later on, also is there a specific intake that works best with the boss manifold? My car is automatic also.
Quote:
Sorry not the air raid, the jlt intake and tune combo
Both of the CAI systems you listed above are great! You really can't go wrong with any of our Cold Air Intake systems when paired up with a Bama Custom tune.

The Boss manifold is also a great investment! You'll love the power that this Manifold gives you up top, it's an awesome feeling.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you have any questions! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The Boss intake with an auto and a stock converter is a recipe for disaster. Just throwing parts at a car won't make it faster. It's the right parts that do.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The Boss intake with an auto and a stock converter is a recipe for disaster. Just throwing parts at a car won't make it faster. It's the right parts that do.
Im not really even sure i'll be getting the boss intake if I do it will be probably next year sometime(not tomorrow for any smart@$$). Do you have any input on just a tuner/intake combo??
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Im not really even sure i'll be getting the boss intake if I do it will be probably next year sometime(not tomorrow for any smart@$$). Do you have any input on just a tuner/intake combo??
I vote the steeda and bama tuner.

I love bama concerning tunes. Get the fast, they always give free tunes when you change something. They have a few specialty tunes. You'd be able to run their hybrid tune for example.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I vote the steeda and bama tuner.

I love bama concerning tunes. Get the fast, they always give free tunes when you change something. They have a few specialty tunes. You'd be able to run their hybrid tune for example.
Yea im definitely doin the bama tune and im leaning toward the steeda I've heard nothing but good things about that setup
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The CAI are all pretty much the same as far as power is concerned. Very little so just choose the one that looks the best to you. As far as tuners I would consider AED, Steeda, Lund, and VMP. I have a VMP tune from Justin Starkey on my car that's an auto and the car is dead nuts when you get into it but still shifts very smooth. I data logged the first tune he sent and it didn't need any revision. I then went to an off road mid pipe and he sent me a revision. For free. As will most of the tuners.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="Grabber Blue5.0;1441355"]
The CAI are all pretty much the same as far as power is concerned. Very little so just choose the one that looks the best to you. As far as tuners I would consider AED, Steeda, Lund, and VMP. I have a VMP tune from Justin Starkey on my car that's an auto and the car is dead nuts when you get into it but still shifts very smooth. I data logged the first tune he sent and it didn't need any revision. I then went to an off road mid pipe and he sent me a revision. For free. As will most of the
I'll look into in thanks for the input man

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Ill look into the vmps ive never heard of them.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Here is Justin Starkey's (VMP) car with his wife driving. It's an auto and he has the tunes nailed down.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator
I brought an airaid and don't like it as much
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just ordered the JLT Intake/Bama Tune for my '11. Kinda sketched out about putting it on, even though most of the feedback I've read in countless forums is 90% good, still kinda worries me with only 8300 miles on it.
BigHead2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead2010 View Post
Just ordered the JLT Intake/Bama Tune for my '11. Kinda sketched out about putting it on, even though most of the feedback I've read in countless forums is 90% good, still kinda worries me with only 8300 miles on it.
You'll be fine... The issues where the tune bricked the car while loading seemed to be more elated to 2013's when they first came out... And that has been resolved....
I've changed tunes about a 1/2 dozen times. No issues... Just takes about 25 minutes.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead2010
Good luck, patience is a virtue . I'm gonna get every mile out of my warranty, I know my luck. If I was tracking the car weekly, it'd be different. You really don't need that extra power for the street anyway.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Good luck, patience is a virtue . I'm gonna get every mile out of my warranty, I know my luck. If I was tracking the car weekly, it'd be different. You really don't need that extra power for the street anyway.
Ya I've thought on returning it and just going with a non-tune intake for now, haha. I know you don't gain but like 5-6hp but I cld always resell and buy the combo again later on. Wouldn't bother me as much if I had 20-30k miles, by then surely any evident problems with the car would be seen and fixed
Old 01-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Only had about 5K miles on mine when I tuned it. Been running strong ever since.

You won't regret it and saying you won't need the power for the street, might as well have got a focus. Don't really need the stock 5.0 power for the street either.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Only had about 5K miles on mine when I tuned it. Been running strong ever since.

You won't regret it and saying you won't need the power for the street, might as well have got a focus. Don't really need the stock 5.0 power for the street either.

Did you have to go through the whole datalog thing? That's what's new to me. First Stang, let alone sports car. Have only ever used, in my definition of a canned tune, a Hypertech or Bullydog, being their all the same. Nothing special might I add. And did you just plug yours in and never have to have any fine tuning ( ie data logging then getting revised tunes ) or did it require having to get updated tunes after data logging? And how many mile you at now?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you have to go through the whole datalog thing? That's what's new to me. First Stang, let alone sports car. Have only ever used, in my definition of a canned tune, a Hypertech or Bullydog, being their all the same. Nothing special might I add. And did you just plug yours in and never have to have any fine tuning ( ie data logging then getting revised tunes ) or did it require having to get updated tunes after data logging? And how many mile you at now?
Nope never did any data logging. I have tunes through Bama tuning. Been through a bunch and they are always great about it. Even when I did have a minor problem with one of my tunes when I took the cats off they had it fixed very quickly. Was the check engine light because of the 02 sensors but they fixed that by the next day and all was good. Didn't even need to data log. Also local performance shop that did the dyno on my car about month ago was impressed by the tune for a canned tune. Said it was the best they had seen yet.

Right now I have a few tunes I can switch between with them. 93 street, 93 performance, 93 race, 93 hybrid and 93 ghost cams. Have probably changed tunes over a dozen times on my car easy.

Will literally tip 15,000 in a few days if that.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nope never did any data logging. I have tunes through Bama tuning. Been through a bunch and they are always great about it. Even when I did have a minor problem with one of my tunes when I took the cats off they had it fixed very quickly. Was the check engine light because of the 02 sensors but they fixed that by the next day and all was good. Didn't even need to data log. Also local performance shop that did the dyno on my car about month ago was impressed by the tune for a canned tune. Said it was the best they had seen yet.

Right now I have a few tunes I can switch between with them. 93 street, 93 performance, 93 race, 93 hybrid and 93 ghost cams. Have probably changed tunes over a dozen times on my car easy.

Will literally tip 15,000 in a few days if that.
And no problems? Mines an auto so I don't believe I would have some of the problems the MT guys talk about.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And no problems? Mines an auto so I don't believe I would have some of the problems the MT guys talk about.
Nope. I have a MT and even changed out the gearing at one point.

Only issue I ever had with the car ever was a leak with the trunk. That I found out very early on and had fixed. Else wise the car has been a complete joy!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nope. I have a MT and even changed out the gearing at one point.

Only issue I ever had with the car ever was a leak with the trunk. That I found out very early on and had fixed. Else wise the car has been a complete joy!
I know I've heard quite a bit about the cars running lean after tune but I'm hoping after 3 years of the 5.0 being out they've got that figured out. I think if I had any problems I would've known earlier on. I bought it with 5300 miles so 3k miles and no problems
Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know I've heard quite a bit about the cars running lean after tune but I'm hoping after 3 years of the 5.0 being out they've got that figured out. I think if I had any problems I would've known earlier on. I bought it with 5300 miles so 3k miles and no problems
Yeah I can tell you the Bama tunes don't run lean. They are perfect the whole way. Here is the full dyno sheet and you can see the a/f is perfect.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I can tell you the Bama tunes don't run lean. They are perfect the whole way. Here is the full dyno sheet and you can see the a/f is perfect.
What's the a/f supposed to be? I'm new to the 5.0 game
Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's the a/f supposed to be? I'm new to the 5.0 game
my understanding was at full WOT it is supposed to be arou 11.5-12.5. Idle it will sit closer to 14.7 as an ideal number.

higher the number the leaner it runs. so obviously having it idle on the leaner side is good, but then when stepping on it, it gets richer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT