Painting exhaust tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Painting exhaust tips

So, I like the black look of the RTR exhaust but prefer the sound of my Roush AB's with Boss 302 sides.

So, I was thinking of painting my Roush tips black. The tips come off separately, so this should be pretty straight forward.

Some options:

1) Powder coat? Kind of looking for a DIY option, so this isn't very attractive.
2) Engine block / grill paint / caliper paint?
3) This: Black chrome painted the exhaust tips. - MercuryMarauder.net Forums looks nice ... good for 250 degrees, how hot do GT tips get?

Any other ideas? Maybe looking for a New Years Day project so preferably with stuff I can buy locally.

What kind of prep would I do? Clean, Sand it down, clean again, primer, then paint?

Thanks.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds like you already have it figured out. Local parts store will have everything you need. I use vht brand on my bike engines, but any high temp paint will work.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My wife said "I like them shiny!" and I told her "when you get your Mustang you can keep them shiny".

The reviews on the Duplicolor chrome paint seem to be mixed ... so I may not go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
My wife said "I like them shiny!" and I told her "when you get your Mustang you can keep them shiny".

The reviews on the Duplicolor chrome paint seem to be mixed ... so I may not go that route.
Duplicolor is good stuff. They probably let it sit to long.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yeah I like that RTR look too but they sound too bubbly for my taste so Im having mine powdercoated. Can only do flat black on high temp areas but gloss black would be hard to keep looking good, Id think. Considering painting the Borla text or just a stripe (ring) around the tips in a high temp gb (body color), or as close as I can get to gb, on top of the powdercoat. Just some thoughts.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
So, I like the black look of the RTR exhaust but prefer the sound of my Roush AB's with Boss 302 sides.

So, I was thinking of painting my Roush tips black. The tips come off separately, so this should be pretty straight forward.

Some options:

1) Powder coat? Kind of looking for a DIY option, so this isn't very attractive.
3) This: Black chrome painted the exhaust tips. - MercuryMarauder.net Forums looks nice ... good for 250 degrees, how hot do GT tips get?

Any other ideas? Maybe looking for a New Years Day project so preferably with stuff I can buy locally.

What kind of prep would I do? Clean, Sand it down, clean again, primer, then paint?

Thanks.
Just buy high temp paint from autozone
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Just buy high temp paint from autozone
What kind of prep for polished stainless tips? I assume you'd need some sort of primer first?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What kind of prep for polished stainless tips? I assume you'd need some sort of primer first?
Just scuff them with some 600 grit sandpaper .
Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Will the paint stick to the chrome properly? You don't want it to chip off in a few weeks or months, etc.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just scuff them up with like 800-1000 grit sand paper just enough to make the paint stick good. Ima paint my Roush Axleback tips as well I just need to buy the sand paper I already have the paint from when I painted my rims two weeks ago
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

Some options:

Thanks.
I plastidipped my roush tips a few months back and they are still in great shape. I even power wash them when i wash the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121231_131321.png
Views:	3090
Size:	677.7 KB
ID:	83453

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121231_131343.png
Views:	603
Size:	584.6 KB
ID:	83454
winslow16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow16 View Post

I plastidipped my roush tips a few months back and they are still in great shape. I even power wash them when i wash the car.
Those look nice how many coats did you put on
GaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Attachment 83453

Attachment 83454
OP, maybe you should try ^this. That way you can peel off and re-apply if you need to, as well as revert back to chrome tips in the future.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMuscle View Post
Those look nice how many coats did you put on
i think i went a little over kill and did like 5 or 6 coats lol. just wanted to make sure it was going to be good with the heat and so far so good. didnt scuff or anything in case i wanted to peel it off for any reason. only thing that happened so far was since im lowered i scrapped it on a drive way but all i had to do was use a little bit of thinner and smooth it out and respray it it and it looks new again.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i think i went a little over kill and did like 5 or 6 coats lol. just wanted to make sure it was going to be good with the heat and so far so good. didnt scuff or anything in case i wanted to peel it off for any reason. only thing that happened so far was since im lowered i scrapped it on a drive way but all i had to do was use a little bit of thinner and smooth it out and respray it it and it looks new again.
Plasti dip can withstand high temps up to 200 degrees last I checked. My friend plasti dipped his entire car that's why
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

winslow16, how did you get the plasti-dip to match your rear spoiler? It looks charcoal gray rather than black.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
winslow16, how did you get the plasti-dip to match your rear spoiler? It looks charcoal gray rather than black.
i think its because its a flat look. i used a black can and its darker in person so maybe a combo of the light and flat finish but i think it looks great and people actually notice it which make it pretty cool too
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i think its because its a flat look. i used a black can and its darker in person so maybe a combo of the light and flat finish but i think it looks great and people actually notice it which make it pretty cool too
Cool kid ^^
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Don't the tips get above 200 degrees? I have hit them with my leg before and they were pretty damn hot. I am surprised that Plastidip worked on the tips. It looks great, though.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Plasti dip can withstand high temps up to 200 degrees last I checked. My friend plasti dipped his entire car that's why
i actually thought about that. i wanted to get a new hood but to do it right you usually blend the fenders so the match is perfect but i also wanted to have the holes filled from my license plate and repainted and that alone would be close to $1000 so i was considering plastidipping since they make a glossifier now so it wont have a flat finish
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't the tips get above 200 degrees? I have hit them with my leg before and they were pretty damn hot. I am surprised that Plastidip worked on the tips. It looks great, though.
^Took the words out of my mouth. Im really surprised it doesnt melt or...knock on wood for ya...catch fire. :fear:
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I asked a friend to paint my Borla's flat black. When l went back to get my car, I nearly went into cardiac arrest and then started laughing! He had painted everything but the name. And it sticks out like a sore thumb. He still refuses to paint over the Borla name. He says it kind of sacrilegious!

Everytime l walk up to my car, l find myself looking at that bare spot and l feel embarrassed! One of them has to go!
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
^Took the words out of my mouth. Im really surprised it doesnt melt or...knock on wood for ya...catch fire. :fear:
ive read up to about 315 degrees
Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well they haven't so I'm assuming it should be good!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well they haven't so I'm assuming it should be good!
Good, good! Thanks for testing! lol Although flaming tailpipes aren't all bad. :jester:
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good, good! Thanks for testing! lol Although flaming tailpipes aren't all bad. :jester:
i can do that also lol. i probably would more often if i didnt have muffler
Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You can always plasti dip them as well thats what i have at the moment and i looks sick have had it on for 3 months and it looks like the first day i did it.
FOX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

OK, went out for dinner this evening and while out picked up the Duplicolor Chrome paint. We will see how it goes tomorrow.

I'll post pics once they are done. Thanks all for the advice.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
OK, went out for dinner this evening and while out picked up the Duplicolor Chrome paint. We will see how it goes tomorrow.

Good luck man! Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good ol Kentucky Chrome
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I also did the plasti dip, 3 coats. About 2 months ago, and love the look. Still looks just as good as the day i sprayed them.

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

First light coat applied ... the Duplicolor shadow stuff goes on well, and really seems to stick to the smooth surface.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Done.

mmike87's Library | Photobucket

Overall, it looks pretty good. I like the deep, glossy look since they match the "piano black" Forgestar's on the car. I'm a shiny not matte type of person.

It was a cool out and below the 60 degrees suggested application temperature, but I'd spray and immediately hit with a hairdryer and that worked really well. With the hairdryer I was able to re-attach the tip less than 30 mins after the last clear coat. I was able to handle the bottom of the tips since they don't show anyway ... but it was thoroughly dry to the touch.

I put it on pretty heavy ... but it does look different than just glossy black - it keeps the "black chrome" look.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Done.

mmike87's Library | Photobucket

Overall, it looks pretty good. I like the deep, glossy look since they match the "piano black" Forgestar's on the car. I'm a shiny not matte type of person.

It was a cool out and below the 60 degrees suggested application temperature, but I'd spray and immediately hit with a hairdryer and that worked really well. With the hairdryer I was able to re-attach the tip less than 30 mins after the last clear coat. I was able to handle the bottom of the tips since they don't show anyway ... but it was thoroughly dry to the touch.

I put it on pretty heavy ... but it does look different than just glossy black - it keeps the "black chrome" look.
Where did you get that roush gas cap ? BTW nice car bro. I'm loving the black and red. I'm thinkin of doin red accents on my black.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
Where did you get that roush gas cap ? BTW nice car bro. I'm loving the black and red. I'm thinkin of doin red accents on my black.
My car was a dealer-created "Roush package" that came with all sorts of Roush stuff (springs, CAI, exhaust, shift knob / boot, etc.).

The Ford dealership creates the faux-Roush cars and sells them. Knowing what I know now I could do without the bling, but it is what it is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust