back up camera in GT spoiler install tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Smile back up camera in GT spoiler install tips

Installing aftermarket Back Up camera in raised GT spoiler is easy. First, remove inner trunk lid cover, use 1/2 inch hole saw to cut hole into spoiler inner area using the left inner support as a wire-way (there is a factory hole in trunk lid for guide). Remove spoiler mounting nuts (high speed ratchet with sideward pressure) and with constant upward pressure/heat gun/careful scraper use to seperate rubber adhesive from trunk lid to spoiler. Position aftermarket camera 3" from rear lip of spoiler, route wire to hole drilled in false bottom of support. Use black silicone on surfaces and remount spoiler to trunk lid. Route wiring to rear of inner trunk and tie into factory harness (my car had the in dash display and the wiring factory supplied). I used a 150 degree lens and had to fabricate a 1/8" wedge to get the angle of camera to read behind the car which I determined mounting position/angle prior to spoiler removal.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Got any pictures to go along with this so that we can better visualize it?
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

back up camera picture

please see if the attachment picture is there? Not sure how to upload a picture directly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010099.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	647.0 KB
ID:	83513  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Region: Virginia
Nice! Care to share what kind of camera that is and does it have lines?

Thanks for sharing.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman325 View Post
please see if the attachment picture is there? Not sure how to upload a picture directly.
Nice,i like it.how much was it.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It is an Echomaster VM150, about $120, and it does have reference lines. I will take a picture of the image rendered and post it.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is an Echomaster VM150, about $120, and it does have reference lines. I will take a picture of the image rendered and post it.
Thanks for sharing.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I might have the number wrong, maybe it is an echomaster VM1150, it has 150 degree lens, which has just a slight fish eye. I can see as close as 1 1/2 foot and easily 50 feet behind the car, the reference lines line up fairly closely to the wheels, and doesn't obscure the critical area at all. Easily a two day project if you take your time like I did.
Good luck.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #9

Region: California
Hello, Do you think it will fit on a 2013 California Special GT ?
eMxyzptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If you look closely at the picture, you will see that it is a GT/CS. So yes, it can be done. I would be happy to elaborate, and you should read the opening statement for hints.
Good luck

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Also, just for additional info, I purchased an aftermarket rear sensor system that has two sensors from Baxter Auto, and the installation was super easy with the bonus of the sensors alarming at the second grid line on the camera.
Perfect.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #11

I started researching only today so I am still a bit fuzzy on the details, did you install the Sync LockPick ?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, the ford dealer had screwed up on a license plate installation which I took over, so whatever was needed to make the camera work had been installed by their aftermarket installer, the echomaster was a plug and play thing.
What is the Sync lock pick?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Nope, the ford dealer had screwed up on a license plate installation which I took over, so whatever was needed to make the camera work had been installed by their aftermarket installer, the echomaster was a plug and play thing.
What is the Sync lock pick?
From what I've read so far, The camera is locked to only one VIN so you have to install the LockPick in order to get the camera displayed on your 8" screen, if they installed it for you, they must have taken the screen out to plug an module between the screen and the actual cables.
See this post for more info on what I've read
Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
When I ordered my 2013 GT with nav unit and a factory pedestal spoiler, Ford didn't offer their backup camera system with that spoiler, so I had to go for an aftermarket system. I just finished installing a Lockpick unit this weekend, which allows for up to 4 cameras to be connected to it (plus other features I didn't need). It works like a charm!

I spent a lot of time researching rear view cameras available on the market, and ended up choosing a Crimestopper SV 5350 II. I liked how the mounting bracket fits behind the rear plate, the only thing visible is the camera itself, and it's TINY!

I bought both units from Sonic Electronix, they offer free shipping to the continental U.S., and their customer service is excellent!

Installation of the camera only required drilling a 1/4" hole in the plastic panel just above the rear plate, so I could run the wires in; all connections were plug-and-play, although reaching behind the factory deck was a bit of a pain. (I found these installation instructions to be HUGELY helpful! http://www.corral.net/index.php/tech...s/181-lockpick).

Here are links to the Lockpick and camera I decided to go with:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...in-Motion.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...V-5350.II.html
Raf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to do this but with a rear view mirror camera that keeps the sync functions. Do not have nav I have a 13 gt cs any suggestions?
Ratraget is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT