How to pass inspection with no cats? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
How to pass inspection with no cats?

My inspection is up this month. The rear o2 sensors are turned off via tune so they are obviously incomplete/not ready. Is there any way around this? Defoulers, mil eliminator anything?? Or do i have to swap the cat back in which i dobt want to do because its a custom welded exhaust
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
? I'd say call your tuner and see what they have to say. Let us know cuz I'll be dealing with that someday
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
My inspection is up this month. The rear o2 sensors are turned off via tune so they are obviously incomplete/not ready. Is there any way around this? Defoulers, mil eliminator anything?? Or do i have to swap the cat back in which i dobt want to do because its a custom welded exhaust
MIL eliminators
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
More than likely they will put ur car on a lift and look underneath it and visually see if u have cats. So mil eliminators won't solve that issue.. A lot of people get inspections written up by someone they know that will just pass it, or get cats put on and just gut them
02NightmareGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT View Post
More than likely they will put ur car on a lift and look underneath it and visually see if u have cats. So mil eliminators won't solve that issue.. A lot of people get inspections written up by someone they know that will just pass it, or get cats put on and just gut them
My understanding was gutting cats will still give you a loud sound, but with a car likes our that gets a performance increase from removing the cats, will not give you the same performance since that open space where the cats were created kinda of a blockage and slows down the exhaust.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Slip the guy a $50
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Mil eliminators dont work aparently because its in the tune. The o2 sensors arent ready therefore it wont pass inspection. I own the shop btw.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
Slip the guy a $50
+1
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
What happens if you guys dont pass inspection? My state doesnt have them so im just wondering.
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator View Post
What happens if you guys dont pass inspection? My state doesnt have them so im just wondering.
I live in Delaware where you have to take your car to the DMV. Here if the car doesn't pass inspection you will not be issued a new registration, and you will be driving with expired plates.
elnegro5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnegro5.0 View Post

I live in Delaware where you have to take your car to the DMV. Here if the car doesn't pass inspection you will not be issued a new registration, and you will be driving with expired plates.
That sucks I hope oklahoma doesnt start requiring that
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I bought 2 02 sensor defoulers with 3 different jet sizes. I will test all of them and post the results.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

The car community looks out for each other so this can be done legal or not.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
The car community looks out for each other so this can be done legal or not.
We got two guys that can get u to pass ur emissions catts or no catts hahaha
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

We got two guys that can get u to pass ur emissions catts or no catts hahaha
Make that 3 i read on other forums this acctually works on the 5.0
Old 01-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

In case anyone was wondering i passed inspection. The setup was two vibrant performance 02 defoulers with the smallest jet installef. Drove twenty miles @ 55mph and it was ready
Old 06-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Question

Quote:
In case anyone was wondering i passed inspection. The setup was two vibrant performance 02 defoulers with the smallest jet installef. Drove twenty miles @ 55mph and it was ready

Where did you buy these? And did you need a new tune after installing?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
With the right tune you can pass inspection. Trust me.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
In my local inspection station they use sniffers, so you wouldn't pass without cats in that case.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If they do any type of visual under the car then you fail right there.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

In Delaware there is no visual or sniffer...
Old 06-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully08GT View Post
In Delaware there is no visual or sniffer...
Really?

What do you do there? Get out of your car, walk into the shop, ask for a smog certificate, pay for it, and then get back in your car and leave?
That's it? Done?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Best bet is to just make friends with someone who does it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

In Delaware you have to go to the DMV to get a car inspected. For out cars its pretty much a honk the horn turn on your lights & all blinkers. Then step on the gas and slam on the breaks and if you dont run over the inspector he plugs into your OBD II and if alls good you pass.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

And make some friends with ur local performance shop. They may know someone but they don't usually offer up connections like these to just any regular joe off the street.

Being friendly and chill with a variety of car people does wonders.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I got my brothers jag to pass by unplugging a few injectors lol but his car was a pre obd2 vehicle lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutio
13coyotevahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I'm hoping to bypass this mess when I'm due for emissions in another year or so (Illinois). I'm doing the JBA H-pipe with removable cat delete pipes....get a tune for the cat delete pipes, and another with for the cats in place. Swap out the tubes and tune about a week prior to getting it checked, pass, and swap them back again.

In Illinois they simply hook up a scanner to your OBDII - there is no visual inspection or sniffer. With my planned set up it wouldn't matter since my stock cats would be in place...

Worth mentioning that when I do this I'm swapping to Lund over Bama (this'll be about the time I'm doing the boss manifold also). Bama has been fine so far but the reading I've done on this forum (and others) has sold me on trying a Lund tune.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #28

Rynarok, I talked to Shaun at AED and he can do a tune where the O2s aren't turned off like others. Didnt get into specifics, but he said that in Illinois i would pass with his tune and no cats. Maybe drop him an email

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ifixjetz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm glad i live in canada and don't have emission laws etc. The best bet is to get a catted mid pipe and install that for the inspection so all 4 sensors are functioning and once you pass remove them for your other mid pipe. If you have a custom welded i guess it's a longer process for you. I would never get anything welded on that i would eventually have to remove etc especially for engine or trans or clutch swaps,
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Here in TX, it depend on your county. In cities like Austin, they are tougher on emissions. We live on the edge and actually just over the county line, and our county doe not test emissions. My son just had the car inspected an hour ago and it passed and has no cats. I am worried about next year however. They (the State) came out yesterday and announced beginning next March, there will NOT be an inspection sticker for your car. You will however need to have your car inspected when you renew your license plate tags and the way it was worded, looks like it will be a state inspection that will remain the same but something tells me they will move to everyone dealing with emissions. Ruh Ro. Glad I kept our original mid pipe. This could turn into a huge PITA every year if TX moves to something like freak'n Cali has.

Glad my house is literally 50' outside of the Travis County line!!!
http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/insp...nCriteria.aspx

Here is a link about what TX is moving too.
http://inforney.com/texas/item/1952-...g-march-1-2015
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so I just passed Inspection and Emissions today with an off road Pro chamber mid pipe aka with out cats! Did some searching on here and some other forums and found a cheap & easy alternative instead of changing back to my stock mid pipe w/ cats. I went out and bought 2 packs (4 total) 18mm spark plug non foulers at my auto parts store ($6 a pack) I took 2 of these and drilled out the middle with a 1/2 " metal drill bit. This is so our O2 sensors can screw into them. Then I unbolted the rear O2 sensors from my mid pipe and screwed the 2 non foulers I just drilled out onto the sensors. Then I screwed on the other 2 O2 sensors that I didnt mess with. This brings the O2 sensors out of the direct path of the Exhaust. I then changed my tune back to the one I had with the stock mid pipe so the rear O2 sensors would now be on. I have an SCT with Bama tunes for life, so this step might be easier for me than others... I also changed it to the 89 street tune instead of the 93 race, I'm not sure if this matters. I drove around for about 50 miles and had no codes. I was getting a p1000 code until about 50 or so miles. which is the not ready...
This is will only work for states that just do the OBDII scan for Inspection and emissions. This obviously wont work in states that have a sniffer or do a visual check for cats.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully08GT View Post
Ok so I just passed Inspection and Emissions today with an off road Pro chamber mid pipe aka with out cats! Did some searching on here and some other forums and found a cheap & easy alternative instead of changing back to my stock mid pipe w/ cats. I went out and bought 2 packs (4 total) 18mm spark plug non foulers at my auto parts store ($6 a pack) I took 2 of these and drilled out the middle with a 1/2 " metal drill bit. This is so our O2 sensors can screw into them. Then I unbolted the rear O2 sensors from my mid pipe and screwed the 2 non foulers I just drilled out onto the sensors. Then I screwed on the other 2 O2 sensors that I didnt mess with. This brings the O2 sensors out of the direct path of the Exhaust. I then changed my tune back to the one I had with the stock mid pipe so the rear O2 sensors would now be on. I have an SCT with Bama tunes for life, so this step might be easier for me than others... I also changed it to the 89 street tune instead of the 93 race, I'm not sure if this matters. I drove around for about 50 miles and had no codes. I was getting a p1000 code until about 50 or so miles. which is the not ready...
This is will only work for states that just do the OBDII scan for Inspection and emissions. This obviously wont work in states that have a sniffer or do a visual check for cats.
Your car is an 08 correct? This is the 2010+ section so why would you post this? We don't need to drill out spark plug foulers or go through any of the trouble you went through. We can set the tune up accordingly to pass any of the OBDII tests.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #33
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Its actually the 2011-2014 section.......
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yea who cares. It used to be 2010+ and now it's 2011+.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

My bad just searched for how to pass inspection without cat for 2008 and this was the 3rd thread that popped up...

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT