Wavetrac Diff... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Wavetrac Diff...

It's here! I just had to give this bad boy a try. I'll know how it performs in two(2) weeks. Some quick cellphone pics of the unit...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-907089409.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	84145

Name:	image-3182418467.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	84146

Name:	image-4109137224.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	84147
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Is it better than the torsen in the track pack?
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

2011-2012 model years didn't have a package including the Torsen diff, but if we wanted we could spring for one via Ford Racing. I decided to go with this instead. It is similar to the Torsen(helical gears), but it is suppose to have a few benefits... the jury is still out on whether it is just hype, but I'll find out for myself.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
That looks bad *** dude I would love to know that was helping put the power to the ground on my stang. If I can ask a n00bish question, if I'm having gears installed would it be labor efficient to have a differential put in at the same time?
roushcoyotepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushcoyotepony
That looks bad *** dude I would love to know that was helping put the power to the ground on my stang. If I can ask a n00bish question, if I'm having gears installed would it be labor efficient to have a differential put in at the same time?
Yes because it has to come out anyway.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Just wondering why your replacing the stock diff ?
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas11CS5.0 View Post
Because young grasshopper, he can.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas11CS5.0 View Post
I was originally going to keep it safe and go with the Boss 302 Torsen(2.7 bias ratio version). I wanted to steer towards more of a daily driver/occasional road course track day-car. I wanted to replace the Trac-loc(clutch-type) LSD with a helical gear-type(torque-biasing) differential. In no way was the stock rear diff malfunctioning... I'm just hoping that this rear diff can take a bit of abuse.

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

Because young grasshopper, he can.
You know what... you are right! I can't wait to see how this diff puts power to the ground!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #9

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I was originally going to keep it safe and go with the Boss 302 Torsen(2.7 bias ratio version). I wanted to steer towards more of a daily driver/occasional road course track day-car. I wanted to replace the Trac-loc(clutch-type) LSD with a helical gear-type(torque-biasing) differential. In no way was the stock rear diff malfunctioning... I'm just hoping that this rear diff can take a bit of abuse.
I am assuming b/c of the maintenance of the clutch type LSD?

I would like to know why Ford went with the gear type LSD for their "performance" packages.

If I understand correctly, the gear style LSD (Quaife, Wavetrac, Torsen) behave as a open diff under decel or when one wheel loses all traction, so you are trading off some performance benefits for the low maintenance.

Good luck with the Wavetrac!
Phoenix335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix335 View Post
I am assuming b/c of the maintenance of the clutch type LSD?

I would like to know why Ford went with the gear type LSD for their "performance" packages.

If I understand correctly, the gear style LSD (Quaife, Wavetrac, Torsen) behave as a open diff under decel or when one wheel loses all traction, so you are trading off some performance benefits for the low maintenance.

Good luck with the Wavetrac!
Thanks. Maintenance and wear characteristics of a clutch-type diff was a factor in my decision.

You are correct in the gear-style diff's behavior, but I went with this diff according to the manufacturer's claims...

"Wavetrac®: Designed from a clean sheet using state-of-the-art knowledge and engineering to be a better differential than any other. It uses a patented design to improve grip in low traction conditions.
Wavetrac®: Gives you quicker acceleration and faster cornering by driving both drive wheels instead of just one. And, it offers improved no-load performance when compared to other helical gear differentials on the market."
Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE: It took a little longer than I was expecting, but Wavetrac has been recently installed. Mechanic said it was a pretty straight forward install. He used new bearings, too. With my very limited use with it, everything is functioning smoothly. Acceleration seems good... deceleration is okay, but I think I can hear some gear harmonics around 1.5-2k rpm's... no unusual occurrences in reverse. I can't wait for warmer weather! I'll report back after I log some miles on it and do a little spirited driving.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Can't wait to hear more reports on this. It's an interesting & different solution to the problem. I'm looking at this unit for when I eventually burn out my stock diff (from reports lots of autocrossing will do that).

One thing I'm curious about is how the C clips fit. I've read about some issues on early run units, I wonder if the reports that they resolved this are true.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
Can't wait to hear more reports on this. It's an interesting & different solution to the problem. I'm looking at this unit for when I eventually burn out my stock diff (from reports lots of autocrossing will do that).

One thing I'm curious about is how the C clips fit. I've read about some issues on early run units, I wonder if the reports that they resolved this are true.
There are two(2) sets of C-clips supplied in the package. Depending on your axle diameter size inside the C-clip groove, it will dictate which size C-clips to use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT