I used to love my Pirelli tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

dellito is unknown around these parts
I used to love my Pirelli tires

During the test drive, I fell in love with everything about my 5.0
I bought it and learned to respect it and understand its idiosyncrasies
Now that we have traveled 40,000 miles, I can't stand one more minute with those stinkin' Pirelli P Zero Nero's
They are extremely loud and lost much of their handling ability

I'm looking at replacing them with some Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires. Since I drive 12 months out of the year, I need all season tires.
Has anyone had experience with these tires? Are there any other suggestions? By the way, I have the 19" option rims.

Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
dellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

nhcowboy is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito View Post
Now that we have traveled 40,000 miles, I can't stand one more minute with those stinkin' Pirelli P Zero Nero's

I'm looking at replacing them with some Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires. Since I drive 12 months out of the year, I need all season tires.
Has anyone had experience with these tires? Are there any other suggestions? By the way, I have the 19" option rims.
I recently put all season tires on mine (used to have pilot super sports on the rears)...

I had the same debate... RE970AS vs Pilot Sport AS plus.

The reviews were very close.

I ended up with the pilot sports as plus.

Not as much grip as my summer tires (obviously), but very good cold weather tire. Quiet. Very responsive steering. I'm not disappointed. And they were slightly lighter tires than the Bridgestones.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I've heard some bad things about the conti all seasons.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

tc x 4 is unknown around these parts
I was never a mitchlen fan. I needed tires and discount tire recommended the Mitch super sports. I'm very impressed with them. You have to really try to bust the rear loose on wet roads. Idk about snow for sure because I refuse to drive it on salty roads. But, I've driven in snow 35yrs and I can tell by looking, there's probably not a better tire for it. They are pricey, but worth every penny.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Bladezx is unknown around these parts
Quote:

I had them. Used them for winter just to work and back. Wouldn't recommend it for winter. They were alright for all season. I use them
For Summer and I just bought a set of toyo Garrick's for winter tires and those are working beautifully. If I had it my way I would go back to the Pzero Nero all season mud and snow tires but those are discontinued.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I was never a mitchlen fan. I needed tires and discount tire recommended the Mitch super sports. I'm very impressed with them. You have to really try to bust the rear loose on wet roads. Idk about snow for sure because I refuse to drive it on salty roads. But, I've driven in snow 35yrs and I can tell by looking, there's probably not a better tire for it. They are pricey, but worth every penny.
Super sports are unbelievable above 65 degrees... Below that, they get progressively like a hockey puck on ice... Hence the discussion about the pilot sport AS (all season) plus.

But yes, if he was asking about summer tires, no doubt, pilot super sports are worth every bloody penny!!!

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy

Super sports are unbelievable above 65 degrees... Below that, they get progressively like a hockey puck on ice... Hence the discussion about the pilot sport AS (all season) plus.

But yes, if he was asking about summer tires, no doubt, pilot super sports are worth every bloody penny!!!
I have to disagree, sorry.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have to disagree, sorry.
Not to get into an argument, but you are recommending a high performance summer tire with tread good for track days (and good in the rain too) to be used in snow? On a rear wheel drive car???

That isn't particularly good advice.

Yes it can be done but Good luck with any evasive Maneuvers. .

If you aren't disagreeing with that, then what are you disagreeing with me on?

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I said Idk for sure about the snow. As for the cold, it was 20* the last time I drove the car. With very spirited driving, I never noticed a difference.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I said Idk for sure about the snow. As for the cold, it was 20* the last time I drove the car. With very spirited driving, I never noticed a difference.
All I can tell you is in Houston, as temps got lower, the PSS had 0 traction. 40 degrees is when I decided to get all seasons to swap out for colder weather (almost lost her sliding the rear out on me).

Now my suspension is stock... Maybe that impacted it too... But I think you are the only one brave enough to drive drive PSS at 20 degrees.... More power to you, but that compound and tread design is not safe at low temps and in snow.

Just trying to provide safe advice here. And keep in mind the OP was asking about the All season brides tones, I was simply talking about my shopping and comparison on a comparable tire (pilot sport AS plus).

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #10

2008crna is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Wait, you got 40k miles with your stock P Zero Neros? I barely got 12k on my rears in my 2011 GT/CS. I replaced mine with P Zero Nero all seasons 275/40/19 and I love the extra grip. I could tell the difference and the tire bulge is just enough to save those rims from curb rash.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

BlackBetty5.0 is unknown around these parts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008crna View Post
Wait, you got 40k miles with your stock P Zero Neros? I barely got 12k on my rears in my 2011 GT/CS. I replaced mine with P Zero Nero all seasons 275/40/19 and I love the extra grip. I could tell the difference and the tire bulge is just enough to save those rims from curb rash.
Burnouts are fun!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input everyone.

I will definitely need all season tires so the super sports are not an option. 12 month per year driving in the snow belt would not be fun on summer only tires. I'll take another look at the pilot sports and try and decide on those or the Potenzas.

As far as the 40,000 miles, I still have about a quarter of the useable tread left but these Pirelli's started getting noisy at about 20,000 miles.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone.

I will definitely need all season tires so the super sports are not an option. 12 month per year driving in the snow belt would not be fun on summer only tires. I'll take another look at the pilot sports and try and decide on those or the Potenzas.

As far as the 40,000 miles, I still have about a quarter of the useable tread left but these Pirelli's started getting noisy at about 20,000 miles.
The potenzas would be your best bet, I used them all year round but now they had about 20000 km on them and are not that great in winter then again I live in Canada and winter is like 4- 6 months
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post

The potenzas would be your best bet, I used them all year round but now they had about 20000 km on them and are not that great in winter then again I live in Canada and winter is like 4- 6 months
Yeah, I don't think anything is going to be great in the snow but I'm OK with that. That's part of the trade off when buying one of these cars. I'm just looking for the best options. I'm in Northern Ohio and drive all over Michigan so I know what you mean about winter.

Thanks
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, I don't think anything is going to be great in the snow but I'm OK with that. That's part of the trade off when buying one of these cars. I'm just looking for the best options. I'm in Northern Ohio and drive all over Michigan so I know what you mean about winter.

Thanks
Check out tire rack...'they have some direct comparisons review articles beyond user ratings.

Good luck!

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

nosympathy is unknown around these parts
Put 250lbs of sandbags in your trunk...

Really...

I drove a truck for 4 years before the mustang, and even the 6500lb tundra would loose grip in the snow and ice and it was heavy! I used to just shovel snow in the back of it, or fill the bed with 500lbs of sandbags.

I have the stock 18" pzero neros and they do just fine with weight in the trunk. Stock suspension.

Haven't put weight in the back this year as by the time the snow came and I was on the roads the roads were clear of snow and ice. but 20 degree weather and I haven't lost traction anymore than normal yet!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Really...

I drove a truck for 4 years before the mustang, and even the 6500lb tundra would loose grip in the snow and ice and it was heavy! I used to just shovel snow in the back of it, or fill the bed with 500lbs of sandbags.

I have the stock 18" pzero neros and they do just fine with weight in the trunk. Stock suspension.

Haven't put weight in the back this year as by the time the snow came and I was on the roads the roads were clear of snow and ice. but 20 degree weather and I haven't lost traction anymore than normal yet!
That's exactly what I've already done. 200 lbs of sandbags makes it driveable. My biggest complaint is the noise from the Pirelli tires. It's really unbearable.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's exactly what I've already done. 200 lbs of sandbags makes it driveable. My biggest complaint is the noise from the Pirelli tires. It's really unbearable.
I guess having o/r X with the borla stingers and the radio on I never hear the tires. I almost have 15000 miles on those tires too.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I guess having o/r X with the borla stingers and the radio on I never hear the tires. I almost have 15000 miles on those tires too.
Mine were quiet up until about 20,000 or 25,000 miles and it has got progressively louder ever since.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Really...

Don't need sandbags just need winter tires. I've bought a set of toyo Garrick's and they hold pretty well. I plow through snow like a truck and have no problem on ice really. Feels like I'm driving a awd with the way it hooks up.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
Don't need sandbags just need winter tires. I've bought a set of toyo Garrick's and they hold pretty well. I plow through snow like a truck and have no problem on ice really. Feels like I'm driving a awd with the way it hooks up.
well yeah, but not everyone is going to have a spare set of rims to put them on, or want to switch them come winter time. So an easy cheap solution is sand bags.

Don't get me wrong, when I get new rims, I am going to keep my current 18's and put winter tires on them just for this time of the year, but I am not running winter tires year round.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

GrabberBlue5.0 is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Mine were quiet up until about 20,000 or 25,000 miles and it has got progressively louder ever since.
Less tread means less traction and more nvh, so of course at 40k they're noisy with little traction

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

GrabberBlue5.0 is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Thanks
I would not use the PSS as an all season tire. The tires I used to sell and install on corvettes and other sports cars driven all year around were the Michelin pilot sport all season plus. They are great for all season traction and have a 45k warranty on them. Check those out

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

Less tread means less traction and more nvh, so of course at 40k they're noisy with little traction
I agree, I would expect some degradation, but they are so noisy that you can't really have a conversation at highway speed. It's been that way for the last 20,000 miles.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy

I made a mistake, I have the pilot sports a/s.

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

I would not use the PSS as an all season tire. The tires I used to sell and install on corvettes and other sports cars driven all year around were the Michelin pilot sport all season plus. They are great for all season traction and have a 45k warranty on them. Check those out
Very good tire imo.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

DaBluedude is unknown around these parts
How the **** did you get 40k miles on a set of tires!!?!? That's amazing! As someone who daily drives a mach 1 through canadian winters I would recommend getting a second set of rims and getting winter rubber for sure. Cooper weather master st2 is a perfect (and reasonably priced) winter tire that doesn't just get chewed up on dry roads. Then, when summer is here you slap whatever performance rubber you want on. Right now I get the coppers and falken fk 452 and a set of the high quality all seasons is only about 200$ cheaper. But i get more total mileage on the combined winter/summer rubber.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
How the **** did you get 40k miles on a set of tires!!?!? That's amazing! As someone who daily drives a mach 1 through canadian winters I would recommend getting a second set of rims and getting winter rubber for sure. Cooper weather master st2 is a perfect (and reasonably priced) winter tire that doesn't just get chewed up on dry roads. Then, when summer is here you slap whatever performance rubber you want on. Right now I get the coppers and falken fk 452 and a set of the high quality all seasons is only about 200$ cheaper. But i get more total mileage on the combined winter/summer rubber.
40,000 miles of highway driving in 12 months. Thanks for the input but I really don't have a problem with winter performance. My only complaint is the noise....noise...NOISE!
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

40,000 miles of highway driving in 12 months. Thanks for the input but I really don't have a problem with winter performance. My only complaint is the noise....noise...NOISE!
Your going to get noise with hard tires and with worn down tires only solution is soft and new tires
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A word of caution, 200 lbs of sand in the trunk and about 3000 miles have crushed the rear stabilizer link bushings. I think I may only put the weight in when absolutely necessary.

By the way, I went with the Potenzas and so far I'm happy.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

BUSHGUTS is unknown around these parts
i have the pirelli pzeros and they are decent grip when its warm out but when cold they suck. its a summer tire so i expect that. my major complaint about them is they pick up and throw a lot of debri (pebbles, rocks, dirt, etc.) the stock michelins on my accord ride soft and dont sling debri. its like the pirellis are hard tires causing it to sling. i cant wait to replace them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT