upgrades for 2012 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Sprintradc is unknown around these parts
upgrades for 2012

Got a 5.0 automatic with jlt cold air kit, boss intake, roush axle back exhaust and tuned by Bama performance. What should I upgrade to next to get the most out of my car. Its my daily driver in the spring and winter and currently in the garage. I want something that will increase performance but still be able to just cruise back and forth to work.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

tc x 4 is unknown around these parts
Do you have a budget?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

nhcowboy is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintradc View Post
Got a 5.0 automatic with jlt cold air kit, boss intake, roush axle back exhaust and tuned by Bama performance. What should I upgrade to next to get the most out of my car. Its my daily driver in the spring and winter and currently in the garage. I want something that will increase performance but still be able to just cruise back and forth to work.
What tune do you run? The hybrid is fun (but I actually daily drive the race... Had them modify the shift points on it a bit to downshift faster when decelerating abound 20-30 mph... Basically puts me in the right gear to explode without downshift delay at those speed without having to go WOT.

The next mod sounds like gears... 3.73 if you travel highways frequently... 4.10s would be more fun though .

That is a cost effective mod... Beyond that, suspension and forced induction!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea my budget is around 3k. Broke it off with the girlfriend so her loss is my gain.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintradc
Yea my budget is around 3k. Broke it off with the girlfriend so her loss is my gain.
Other than cowboys suggestions, headers are always a nice up grade. They would work well with your IM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

How much you think installation should be on a set of headers. Was looking at kooks
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintradc
How much you think installation should be on a set of headers. Was looking at kooks
Hard to say, every area is gonna be different. Find a shop that specializes in mustangs, they will be the cheapest. An inexperienced shop will probably charge 10hrs labor.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Grabber Blue5.0 is unknown around these parts
Skip the gears and get a converter. Contact Circle D. Trust me you won't be disappointed.
1 7/8 Longtubes/off road x-pipe, Kooks Catback, BMR lowering springs, Strange 10 way adjustable shocks/struts, BMR lower control arms, BMR upper control arm and mount, BMR control arm relocation brackets, BMR adjustable, panhard bar, Weld RT-S wheels, Hoosier fronts, M/T rears
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

roushcoyotepony is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Skip the gears and get a converter. Contact Circle D. Trust me you won't be disappointed.
May I ask why skip the gears if you're getting a torque converter? Is it possible to use one with 3.73 or 4.10 gears?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

nosympathy is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushcoyotepony View Post
May I ask why skip the gears if you're getting a torque converter? Is it possible to use one with 3.73 or 4.10 gears?
autos seem to run the fastest times with 3.31 gears and a torque convertor I believe it was.

If you have a manual this is a different story. The gear ratios between auto and manual are different.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

autos seem to run the fastest times with 3.31 gears and a torque convertor I believe it was.

If you have a manual this is a different story.
I see interesting good to know and yes i was definitely referring only to auto gts
Old 01-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I totally forget about the converter upgrade. I had one installed in my 02 mustang and it was well worth it. I think I'll go that route and start calling around for install estimates
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Grabber Blue5.0 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Possible? Yes. Smart? No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Quote:
I totally forget about the converter upgrade. I had one installed in my 02 mustang and it was well worth it. I think I'll go that route and start calling around for install estimates
You won't be sorry.
1 7/8 Longtubes/off road x-pipe, Kooks Catback, BMR lowering springs, Strange 10 way adjustable shocks/struts, BMR lower control arms, BMR upper control arm and mount, BMR control arm relocation brackets, BMR adjustable, panhard bar, Weld RT-S wheels, Hoosier fronts, M/T rears
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Supporter
Staff

GrabberBlue5.0 is unknown around these parts
This is just a guess, hopefully gb5.0 will correct me (don't know much about stall converters) but a stall converter allows you to wind up to a higher rpm while stopped on the line, allowing you to launch from a higher rpm. Now if you have shorter gears the higher rpm will cause you to launch harder and be more likely to cause wheel spin than a taller gear would. Therefore 3.15/3.31 > 3.73/4.10 on the auto with a higher stall converter.

Amirite?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

nosympathy is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
This is just a guess, hopefully gb5.0 will correct me (don't know much about stall converters) but a stall converter allows you to wind up to a higher rpm while stopped on the line, allowing you to launch from a higher rpm. Now if you have shorter gears the higher rpm will cause you to launch harder and be more likely to cause wheel spin than a taller gear would. Therefore 3.15/3.31 > 3.73/4.10 on the auto with a higher stall converter.

Amirite?
Here is a quick review of how a torque converter works.

There are three main elements that combine to transfer the power from the engine to the transmission: the Pump, the Turbine and the Stator. The converter is completely filled with fluid which comes from the transmission. The fluid starts off its flow from the inside of the pump and then it is centrifugally pumped to the outside of the pump. The pump is welded to the front cover which is bolted to the flex plate.

The pump is rotated by the engine and the fluid is pumped towards the turbine where the input shaft of the transmission connects. The fluid then flows to the stator and is redirected and the combined momentum of the fluid helps to spin the pump. This is how a torque converter can multiply the output power which is known as STR or Stall to Torque Ratio.

The fluid then continues this movement as the turbine speed increases. Eventually the turbine is spinning about 90% as fast as the pump. The fluid leaving the turbine now has rotational momentum and will contact the stator which causes the one way clutch to freewheel allowing better coupling which translates into efficiency.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Bladezx is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Headers with full exhaust should
Work. Borla headers and stinger cat back should do it. With an x pipe
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

13BLKCYOT is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Brenspeed installed my kooks and xpipe in 6hrs. I caught black friday sale...$340 install. Normal cost is $675. Awesome ppl, they have a guest house you stay in for free if you come from out of town. They are in northern Indianna.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BLKCYOT View Post

Brenspeed installed my kooks and xpipe in 6hrs. I caught black friday sale...$340 install. Normal cost is $675. Awesome ppl, they have a guest house you stay in for free if you come from out of town. They are in northern Indianna.
Man I love that company too, and really wish they weren't so incredibly far out of town for me down in AZ
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

13BLKCYOT is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Man I love that company too, and really wish they weren't so incredibly far out of town for me down in AZ
Yeah lol, thats a bit of a drive!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

AMShaneLesky is unknown around these parts
I agree with everyone who recommend a new torque converter! A Circle D convertor will make your GT a lot more fun to drive, especially at the drag strip. Also, some headers would really compliment your Boss intake at the top end of your power band. So, that's not a bad route to go either.

Good luck with your decision!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

CPERR2013 is unknown around these parts
Converter is a solid choice. I had one in my 06 GT and plan on putting in the circle D this spring. Probably the 4C. Met a guy at the strip in November running one. Cars just had cold air tune and tires. Says he was getting 1.8 60s and dropped to 1.5 with the converter. On the street drive like stock until you get into it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT