Pirelli Pzero Nero in cold weather = NO traction - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

BUSHGUTS is unknown around these parts
Pirelli Pzero Nero in cold weather = NO traction

im hating these tires right now. im temps are in the 40's to 50's and i have zero traction. i only have 3k miles on the car too so they are brand new tires. anyone else experiencing this?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

lwandrewz is unknown around these parts
No trouble out of mine. 20-30's around TN

Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

mmike87 is unknown around these parts
Well, depends on what you're trying to do.

I drove yesterday in 27 degrees in Virginia. I didn't have any problem driving "normally" ... that said, I had to pull into traffic one day last week when it was cold and experienced horrible wheel hop even with my newly relocated Whiteline LCA's.

But I really got on it hard. Driving normally I don't experience any issue, and have not had any issues on back roads even traveling at speed.

They are summer-only tires and don't offer full performance at < 50 degrees.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

JG5.0 is unknown around these parts
Hard compound tire, they suck in cold weather. I would lose traction rolling in 3rd when the car was stock. Now that I have 600hp it's pointless haha. Bout to get some wide nittos but writhing for the perfect rim to pop out and hit me in the face. But yeah, these tires are terrible in the cold if you want to push the car at all.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #5

Uncoolron is unknown around these parts
No trouble here either in Northern VA winter weather temps. Usually around low mid 30s to below freezing at around 5 AM when I go to work and take on or off ramps like my other sports car does during summer time, spirited driving that is.

I'm actually surprise how these Pezero's working well for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

normal driving is fine, but if i get on it no matter how much i modulate the throttle or easily stand on it, its just nothing but spin. im not liking summer tires.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

mmike87 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
normal driving is fine, but if i get on it no matter how much i modulate the throttle or easily stand on it, its just nothing but spin. im not liking summer tires.
I am debating whether I will get summer tires when these go ... not sure I ever push the car hard enough to need summer tires ... I'll have to do some research on something that will provide the best overall performance and value for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

5LHO is just getting started.
The Nero IS an all-season tire. They are crap in every way though.

I'm making it through winter on the summer-only P-Zeros on my BBP. I parked it when we got a foot of snow and snowshoed to work. Other than that, as long as it's not 1/2 melted slush or pure ice, I'm getting around no problem with normal driving.

Gotta stick? Try starting in second gear...that's what we did back in the days of bias plies. Nothing could be worse than those things in the bad weather.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

nosympathy is unknown around these parts
I never had trouble with the pirellies in bad weather, last year driving through snow and ice, this year mostly just driving in the cold. Yeah if you stomp the gas you are going to spin the wheels, but from a normal start like I drive when the car is cold, I have no issues.

Advice? If you are really finding traction problems do what I did last year when right before it snows, I took 250lbs of sand bags and put them in garbage bags then into the trunk. You won't have traction issues then!

I drove on solid ice at my old job when the parking lot got covered in it and had amazing traction. Was very impressed.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

ya im on the summer P Zero Nero's. absolute garbage. sandbags, what a great idea. im gonna do this
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ya im on the summer P Zero Nero's. absolute garbage. sandbags, what a great idea. im gonna do this
you really never thought to weight the back?

I guess as I posted in the other thread, having driven a truck for 4 years, it is second nature to weight the back end when you need traction for me and so when I had the stang it wasn't even a second thought to put weight in the back come crappy weather.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Resident Saint is unknown around these parts
I didn't like them at all. Took them off at 12K miles and put on some nitto invo's. Much much better tire. In any season IMO.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Saint View Post
I didn't like them at all. Took them off at 12K miles and put on some nitto invo's. Much much better tire. In any season IMO.
I hadn't looked at those yet. I know I am going to replace my tires come spring, but I hadn't decided with what, but I am pretty set on probably getting Nitto tires. Heard nothing but amazing things about Nitto.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I hadn't looked at those yet. I know I am going to replace my tires come spring, but I hadn't decided with what, but I am pretty set on probably getting Nitto tires. Heard nothing but amazing things about Nitto.
I love them. I have 5K on them now, and no trouble with little to no wear.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Saint View Post
I love them. I have 5K on them now, and no trouble with little to no wear.

they are not really expensive either, at what about 180 or so a tire? not terribly much more than the pirellies. I also have to buy tires for my Tundra, so I am sure I can get a good deal buying 8 tires.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
they are not really expensive either, at what about 180 or so a tire? not terribly much more than the pirellies. I also have to buy tires for my Tundra, so I am sure I can get a good deal buying 8 tires.
I paid 215 a tire, but i was in a bind. Didnt have time to shop for best deal.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

ksrumbel is unknown around these parts
Summer tires a just that... for summer. They become like hard plastic when temperatures get below 40. The compounds are designed to be used in certain temperatures. If you want performance in cold temperatures, you won't get them from your summer tires. I tried to drive through snow with my '11 WRX with summer tires. Even with AWD they sucked. I bought 4 snow tires the next day. Tire rack has some great write ups on different tires for different seasons.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

GrayGhost is unknown around these parts
Quote:
I'm a little confused. Your title says, "Pirelli Pzero Nero...," which are an ALL-SEASON HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRE. If you have the Brembo Brake Package(and 19x9" wheels), then you are on the Pirelli Pzero MAX PERFORMANCE SUMMER-ONLY TIRE. They(and all similar Max Performance Summer-Only Tires) are not recommended for use in cold temperatures. Their performance is greatly diminished at these temps... compound gets very hard... ride quality gets pretty harsh!

With that said, this will be the second Winter I'm going through on the Pzero Summer-Only rubber. I know it's not the smartest thing to do, but I also know that any spirited driving is a great big no-no!

When Spring is near, I'll be replacing the OEM rubber with Summer-only rubber, again. Michelin Pilot Super Sport is high on the list, but I won't rule out other brands.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Dcobra31 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Well, depends on what you're trying to do.

I drove yesterday in 27 degrees in Virginia. I didn't have any problem driving "normally" ... that said, I had to pull into traffic one day last week when it was cold and experienced horrible wheel hop even with my newly relocated Whiteline LCA's.

But I really got on it hard. Driving normally I don't experience any issue, and have not had any issues on back roads even traveling at speed.

They are summer-only tires and don't offer full performance at < 50 degrees.
I'm in VA as well, and I haven't had any issues driving normally on Pirelli PZero Neros all seasons, either. (We're talking about the all seasons, right?) I just need to be a little careful in the wet when I take corners, or else the tail might kick out. lol Ended up doing a little ice skating weeks ago when I realized the parking lot at my work had ice all over the place :p

I use my Pirelli PZeros (the stock summer tires,) in the summer/spring, and I wear the Pirelli PZero Neros all seasons in the fall/winter. At least that way, the summer tires will last longer.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

claudermilk is unknown around these parts
I haven't noticed any change in ride quality on my OEM PZeroes, but even here in SoCal I have noticed the compound is not happy. Normal driving it's ok, but try to get a little spirited & traction sucks.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

5LHO is just getting started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I'm a little confused. Your title says, "Pirelli Pzero Nero...," which are an ALL-SEASON HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRE. If you have the Brembo Brake Package(and 19x9" wheels), then you are on the Pirelli Pzero MAX PERFORMANCE SUMMER-ONLY TIRE. They(and all similar Max Performance Summer-Only Tires) are not recommended for use in cold temperatures. Their performance is greatly diminished at these temps... compound gets very hard... ride quality gets pretty harsh!

With that said, this will be the second Winter I'm going through on the Pzero Summer-Only rubber. I know it's not the smartest thing to do, but I also know that any spirited driving is a great big no-no!

When Spring is near, I'll be replacing the OEM rubber with Summer-only rubber, again. Michelin Pilot Super Sport is high on the list, but I won't rule out other brands.
I do believe this person has captured the actual problem, the OP looks to have BBP, which means summer-only tires not the Nero all season.

No shyt the Pzero summers suck in the snow and cold. Otherwise I actually quite like them. predicatable, good grip, nice turn in, quiet and amazingly good in the wet.

It's NT05s next though...I'm sure the Pzeros won't last more than a year or two. It's been one year of moderate driving (10,000 kilometers) and they are near the shallow wear bar on my BBP.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Bladezx is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

I do believe this person has captured the actual problem, the OP looks to have BBP, which means summer-only tires not the Nero all season.

No shyt the Pzero summers suck in the snow and cold. Otherwise I actually quite like them. predicatable, good grip, nice turn in, quiet and amazingly good in the wet.

It's NT05s next though...I'm sure the Pzeros won't last more than a year or two. It's been one year of moderate driving (10,000 kilometers) and they are near the shallow wear bar on my BBP.
I would recommend the toyo Garrick's Xl. I've been using them so far in winter. Able to go through 2 feet of snow no problem
And don't have to worry about corners. Only real issue is starting on ice but they allow you to drive with really good confidence. On the highway I watched alot of people go in the ditch and I've never even slipped.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Compstall is unknown around these parts
Yall must be pretty hard on your cars, mine's at 16k miles and still at least 50% tread
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Yall must be pretty hard on your cars, mine's at 16k miles and still at least 50% tread
The stock Pirellis summer ones just suck. I wasn't too hard on my car and I think I got 9000 km out of them? Maybe 10? That's with no burn outs to.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

tc x 4 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx

I would recommend the toyo Garrick's Xl. I've been using them so far in winter. Able to go through 2 feet of snow no problem
And don't have to worry about corners. Only real issue is starting on ice but they allow you to drive with really good confidence. On the highway I watched alot of people go in the ditch and I've never even slipped.
2 feet ? I don't think so.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Compstall is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post

The stock Pirellis summer ones just suck. I wasn't too hard on my car and I think I got 9000 km out of them? Maybe 10? That's with no burn outs to.
Thats what I have, been to the dragstrip too.
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

KARgt13 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Maybe with a snow plow on the front. Otherwise, the grille is gonna be guzzling snow.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

I'm exaggerating a bit around a foot of snow at least for sure. I wasn't a fan of winter tires and thought all seasons were better. The only all season I had that was better then snow was the Pirelli Pzero Nero m+s ( mud and snow) that are now discontinued. These Garrick's are pretty damn good considering there are some negative reviews on them about wheel bearings getting shot from the tires vibrating too much cause they are so soft but haven't ran into that issue

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT