new to my 2013 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Region: Texas
new to my 2013 GT

I'm new to my GT. Any pointers?
richgangsta41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Welcome, drive it like you stole it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

Done that already haha
richgangsta41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Doing it right. Post pics. Go to drag strip. Think about modifying, modify. Go faster. Want to go lots faster. Buy supercharger. Suspension time. Buy springs shocks struts and sway bars. Grin like fool. Lots.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Like DaBluedude said...

Idk if you had Mustangs before, but once you start modding it's hard to stop
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Short list:

- Shifter
- CAI / Tune
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Short list:

- Shifter
- CAI / Tune
ehhh maybe axle backs first. Axle backs will give you the biggest grin because your car will sound like it is supposed too. Amazing.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
ehhh maybe axle backs first. Axle backs will give you the biggest grin because your car will sound like it is supposed too. Amazing.
OK, I'll concede that point.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe a new set of rims? The stock ones look nice, but they're oh so heavy lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Maybe search forums literally 2nd thread just Like this lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31 View Post
Maybe a new set of rims? The stock ones look nice, but they're oh so heavy lol
I vote hot pink rims. Just saying
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I vote hot pink rims. Just saying
That's............ambitious. lol! I certainly couldn't pull off pink.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's............ambitious. lol! I certainly couldn't pull off pink.
Haha green mustang and hot pink wheels. *gag*

I don't think pink on any car looks good. There is a girl somewhere near where I live with an older mustang the whole thing painted hot pink. Yuck.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I like the pink..... Just not on my wheels!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha green mustang and hot pink wheels. *gag*

I don't think pink on any car looks good. There is a girl somewhere near where I live with an older mustang the whole thing painted hot pink. Yuck.
Green bodywork with hot pink wheels? Someone find me a toilet to throw up in lol! I'm not a fan of pink on any car, either; it's too girly even for me :p I'm no Barbie doll. lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have the 2013 GT California Special, installed a back up camera in the spoiler which the manuf said couldn't be done, was really easy...see other post here for details. Am currently spraying bed liner in the inside trunk/wheel well areas to reduce the road noise. Also bought a 32 Gig USB thumb drive for my music list, it is one of the super compact units that only extend about an eighth of an inch into the console space which reduces the possibility of damage to the thumbdrive.
Am going to install side cameras in the air scoops and tie them to the turnsignal switch next.
Easy mods which add creature comfort.
Best of luck
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Directions pics for the back up camera setup...

I can't see anything out of my back window with this limo tint and smokes tint over reverse light.
I don't have the nav to tie the camera into though
Pics are great
Thanks
I got a 13 gt cs also
Ratraget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman325 View Post
Am going to install side cameras in the air scoops and tie them to the turnsignal switch next.
Please tell me more about this.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The side cameras are basically bullet snap in units, I haven't bought them yet, but have researched them, and they are readily available. A brief stop at the Ford Service center and the manager told me which wires are hot from the turn signal switch, they will tie to the camera power feed, so it is automatic. All I need to do is find out how to turn the screen on without using the reverse. I will ask the ford guy if it is as simple as paralleling the reverse switch, and make sure that this doesn't trigger an unseen issue as far as any conflicts with the programming if the car is actually in drive at the time. Then it is easy to just feed the output of the side camera's into a splitter with the back up camera, then no matter which one is selected, the image will show up on the display. I might have to build a latching circuit to prevent the back up camera being on, and then turning on the turn signal at the same time. Details.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I understand the point of a back up camera, but what's the point in a turn signal camera. Sounds a little unsafe to me, taking your eyes off the road to see what your already seeing.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, as you might already know, the visibility out of these Mustangs is poor at best, and if one can take their eyes off the road ahead to look at the undersized mirror before a lane change, can't the same amount of time be spent looking at the display to see what is beside you? The side mount camera won't have any blind spots, will see well in front of the car to well behind, thus overlapping the mirror view and your observation through the windows. Also, the camera would be of assistance when parking, or pulling through drive throughs where the posts could damage the side of the car. Also making fuel stops easier. Not to mention the sheer gizmo attraction.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I don't see the point lol I can look with my head and using my actual eyes vs a camera is a lot safer. It will be cool though if they could record track days or w e but for a dd I'd pass. Have fun look forward to pics
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
I don't see the point lol I can look with my head and using my actual eyes vs a camera is a lot safer. It will be cool though if they could record track days or w e but for a dd I'd pass. Have fun look forward to pics
I adjusted my side mirrors in such a way that they show my blind spots. I don't really need a camera

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I adjusted my side mirrors in such a way that they show my blind spots. I don't really need a camera
Same...and if you turn your head anyway you can see just fine in this car. I don't think I've ever had trouble.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same...and if you turn your head anyway you can see just fine in this car. I don't think I've ever had trouble.
Yeah, I've never had any problems looking, either. The only times I really glance over my shoulder is when I'm backing out of a parking lot, or backing out of my garage. The rest of the time, I use my mirrors. Whenever I back out of a parking lot, I rev the engine to get people's attention. It annoys them, BUT at least they'll know that I'm gonna start moving soon lol The more people are aware, the less likely something stupid will happen.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I've never had any problems looking, either. The only times I really glance over my shoulder is when I'm backing out of a parking lot, or backing out of my garage. The rest of the time, I use my mirrors. Whenever I back out of a parking lot, I rev the engine to get people's attention. It annoys them, BUT at least they'll know that I'm gonna start moving soon lol The more people are aware, the less likely something stupid will happen.
Haha I guess you can do it that way, I just never park in a way that I ever have to back out, ever. I always back into spots. Just a habit I picked up driving a 07 tundra. Was far easier to drive forward than to guess no little kids ran behind me I couldn't see.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha I guess you can do it that way, I just never park in a way that I ever have to back out, ever. I always back into spots. Just a habit I picked up driving a 07 tundra. Was far easier to drive forward than to guess no little kids ran behind me I couldn't see.
Well, as humiliating as it sounds, I've never been taught on how to reverse park But at the very least, until I master it, I have a system that works for me lol!

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, as humiliating as it sounds, I've never been taught on how to reverse park But at the very least, until I master it, I have a system that works for me lol!
haha can you not parallel park either?

The street I lived on with the way my parents kept the yard, you couldn't back out of the driveway backwards without being insanely blinde and since we were behind a blind curve, I hated attempting it. So When I was driving the truck everyday I learned to back in really fast, almost one huge fluid movement without looking like I really stopped.

I'd always see people driving down the street stare at me because I was so fast at it and never messed up.

Practice is key! Go find an empty parking lot and just keep trying! It isn't terribly hard.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
haha can you not parallel park either?

The street I lived on with the way my parents kept the yard, you couldn't back out of the driveway backwards without being insanely blinde and since we were behind a blind curve, I hated attempting it. So When I was driving the truck everyday I learned to back in really fast, almost one huge fluid movement without looking like I really stopped.

I'd always see people driving down the street stare at me because I was so fast at it and never messed up.

Practice is key! Go find an empty parking lot and just keep trying! It isn't terribly hard.
Yeah, I'm sure it's not terribly hard; if everyone else can do it, I can do it, too. Do you use your mirrors, or are you just naturally talented? lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure it's not terribly hard; if everyone else can do it, I can do it, too. Do you use your mirrors, or are you just naturally talented? lol
if I am backing into like my driveway no, because I do that everyday and know exactly how to pull up to make it.

parking spots that have no cars around them, same thing, usually not, but If I do that, I may have to adjust myself to be correctly in lane, depends on the day I guess.

If there are other cars around, or backing in between two cars, I always use the mirrors because I am not gonna risk scraping another car because I am lazy haha.

For me it has always been getting a feel for the size of the car. So for backing up knowing how far you can backup before you crunch your rear bumper or AB into the wall, etc. This really only comes with practice and just doing it over and over, and some people do pick it up faster than others. Some never get it.

Same reason I took my drivers test at 16 with a Ford F-150 and did the maneuverability test first go no issues, yet watched people in civics and carollas and such take out the cones. Some people just cannot grasp the size of their cars and where their cars sit.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually, as you might already know, the visibility out of these Mustangs is poor at best, and if one can take their eyes off the road ahead to look at the undersized mirror before a lane change, can't the same amount of time be spent looking at the display to see what is beside you? The side mount camera won't have any blind spots, will see well in front of the car to well behind, thus overlapping the mirror view and your observation through the windows. Also, the camera would be of assistance when parking, or pulling through drive throughs where the posts could damage the side of the car. Also making fuel stops easier. Not to mention the sheer gizmo attraction.
Have you seen the camaro? Now that's the worst visibility I've seen. If your having problems with looking around in a mustang then it must be you. I have 5% tint all around and I see perfectly fine day and night. The mirrors I don't think are undersized at all. Maybe it's just your not use it. My car before my 12 5.0 was a 07 v6 mustang and I'm use to the windows and mirrors. I've never had a problem with them when I first drove it. Your probably the only person who's taking it to the extreme by adding cameras all around. I have the reverse camera but I don't really pay attention to it when reversing.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

No, I have not sat in the Camaro. It sounds to me like you have adjusted well to driving your car with tint, small mirrors, and ignoring the backup camera. Lot's of folks drive by braille.
Personally, I love the backup camera that I installed, the ford sales and service folks agreed it is way better than factory equipment. I also have a huge motorhome, a 3500 dodge truck, and both have backup cameras, so I am very comfortable driving by camera. Again, I can drive by mirrors, but like the gizmo effect of the side cameras.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, I have not sat in the Camaro. It sounds to me like you have adjusted well to driving your car with tint, small mirrors, and ignoring the backup camera. Lot's of folks drive by braille.
Personally, I love the backup camera that I installed, the ford sales and service folks agreed it is way better than factory equipment. I also have a huge motorhome, a 3500 dodge truck, and both have backup cameras, so I am very comfortable driving by camera. Again, I can drive by mirrors, but like the gizmo effect of the side cameras.
To me it's a waste of money for all that. The factory reverse camera lets you see everything 180 degree from each corner of the bumper. To me it's useless cause I have sensors which give me a good indication especially if someone is walking by it. Don't need cameras if your a skilled driver. I have an ecoboost with rear camera too and I tow stuff alot whether its boat etc its just plain lazy to rely on cameras. It's because of things like that people don't shoulder check etc. if you had a cAmera on your roof that does 360 then maybe that would be alright
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

My feeling is...the day you hit someone or something your not going to be able to stand there and walk away Scott free because it was the cameras fault or a sensors fault etc.

You are still in control and the one at fault so better to use your own eyes over relying on something else.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Just so folks understand this...it is a gizmo. Plain and simple. Just like a mirror, or a sensor. Until someone can explain the downside to utilizing gizmos to drive, be it sensors, backup cameras, mirrors, corrective eyeglasses, I will continue to endorse the use of gizmos. There are no end to naysayers to technology, the days of riding horses are not for this kid, give me a Mustang with 420 horses, mirrors, backup cameras, sensors, and...what the heck, throw in side cameras for giggles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT