CAI recommendations? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
CAI recommendations?

Wanting a CAI for my first mod for my 13' GT manual... Airaid vs. BBK vs. Steeda vs. JLT vs. other? Required tunes? Thanks for any thoughts!
DirtyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Go with Steeda and yes most will need a tune.

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Not to be that guy...but there is already a giant thread about this from like a week or two ago.
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, obvious newbie here... You do realize there are thousands of threads on here and the search engine is not quite up to par. So, if you would like to link that thread for me on this one, then great! But there is no need to be "that guy." Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Here's a link from a few months ago with some shocking data comparing a couple of popular CAI's vs. the stock air box.
http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru....php?p=1106379
It comes down to what you are really looking for. If you are really concerned with power gains you might want to invest your money else ware but if you like the sound and style of a CAI then might I suggest The Steeda CAI. That's what I went with and it looks sharp (I blacked mine out) and sounds awesome! Plus it accommodates my Boss Manifold where my stock air tube did not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1383943250.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	562.6 KB
ID:	84312
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDawg
Ok, obvious newbie here... You do realize there are thousands of threads on here and the search engine is not quite up to par. So, if you would like to link that thread for me on this one, then great! But there is no need to be "that guy." Thanks.
I have to agree about the search. People can't seen to stay in topic, so you have to read a thousand post to find a simple answer.

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 AM ----------

Thanks for the link primer.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

No problem, when I'm not derailing threads I tend to be quite helpful.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
No problem, when I'm not derailing threads I tend to be quite helpful.
Lol, we all do it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I agree with the previous posters ... just go with the Steeda intake and a good tune and be done with it. I suspect more people switch TO the Steeda intake than FROM the Steeda intake.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The people have spoken!!

We have a tremendous track record and our quality is top notch. Our Steeda products are manufactured in the U.S.A. by the American worker ... and we are iso 9001:2008 certified ... meaning our products must meet the highest quality.

PM or let me know if I can help answer any further questions or provide forum pricing?

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
The people have spoken!!

We have a tremendous track record and our quality is top notch. Our Steeda products are manufactured in the U.S.A. by the American worker ... and we are iso 9001:2008 certified ... meaning our products must meet the highest quality.

PM or let me know if I can help answer any further questions or provide forum pricing?

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDawg View Post
I wasn't trying to be a jerk haha. Sorry about that. Was a bad day apparently. I guess I haven't had trouble searching for anything yet. I went MIA or I would a found that thread for ya. Looks like primer got ya covered!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Wanting a CAI for my first mod for my 13' GT manual... Airaid vs. BBK vs. Steeda vs. JLT vs. other? Required tunes? Thanks for any thoughts!
Your car came with a CAI. And it actually works pretty damn good.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Sure, but it's engineered to be nice and quiet. I want loud and "noticeable" - more than one passenger has asked what the sound was coming from under the hood with the aftermarket intake.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
+99192829103831
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post

+99192829103831
+5434662
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My car actually came with an exhaust system, and it worked fine, too - yet we stick aftermarket exhausts that offer no HP boost ...

Just sayin' ...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
My car actually came with an exhaust system, and it worked fine, too - yet we stick aftermarket exhausts that offer no HP boost ...

Just sayin' ...
Mine gave me a HP boost. By removing the cats. Just saying.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Cheater.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I like the C & L. I've had mine for a couple months. Looks good, sounds good. Going from Bama race tune and stock box to C & L and custom tune picked up 25 RWHP and 28 RWTQ. Not sure how much was tune vs CAI. Also, for the 13 they have the shroud that deflects water from the hood vents away from the element. As far as I know, they are only ones that do.
CPERR2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Sure, but it's engineered to be nice and quiet. I want loud and "noticeable" - more than one passenger has asked what the sound was coming from under the hood with the aftermarket intake.

+1 , dropped a C&L and bama tune on mine, and made a pretty decent sound difference. And it looks a ton better than that plastic black box.
GrabberBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

What about water in the hood vents?
Ratraget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #23
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Mine granted me 3 wishes when I rubbed my booty on the H pipe! J/S...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I was going to investigate my 13' hood vents today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPERR2013 View Post
Also, for the 13 they have the shroud that deflects water from the hood vents away from the element. As far as I know, they are only ones that do.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

Mine granted me 3 wishes when I rubbed my booty on the H pipe! J/S...
That just sounds highly awkward to make happen hahaha
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Sounds like a Steeda CAI w/ a good tune is the most recommended. Will post pics when completed!

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

...and I may try to get my 3 wishes! lol
Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratraget View Post
It will fall on the filter element. IIRC, there is a video on ModdedMustangs showing this.

C&L has a different heat shield for the '13s, and AEM & K&N both have enclosed airboxes.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratraget View Post
I contacted Steeda directly and this is what they said..

____

Hi Ryan, thanks for your interest in Steeda for your Mustang. We did quite a bit of testing to address concerns about water intrusion into the cold air intake and found no problems with our cold air intake, even when the vehicle was standing still and water sprayed into the vents... when the car is in motion, there is high pressure under the hood and low pressure above and air is exiting through the vents from inside to out so the greatest chance for intrusion is when standing still, take a look at the video on the link below...

I have personally driven our 2013 GT 200 miles on the highway during a May south Florida storm (a storm, not rainfall). I can't speak for anyone else's intake, but you can use our intake with confidence that you will not have a water intrusion problem. Let me know what you think, or if you would like me to place an order for you, and thanks for your interest in a Steeda cold air intake for your Pony.

Thank You,
Matt Levine
Sales Associate
____

Has anyone heard of any more issues with this?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Not to say anything bad about steeda, but watching their vid, it is edited and even if no water hits the filter moving, what about when you are parked at work on a rainy day for 8 hours, or shopping for a while. I found this vid that is unedited and in real time proving the water soaks the filter. You be the judge. I personally would not get an intake by any brand out there that exposes the filter to the vents. There are even rubber insulators that cj pony parts sells for 10 bucks that you put into the vents so no water hits the filter. If i did decide to go SRI and i say SRI because this intake or others for these stangs are truly SRI's to me. They sit in a hot engine bay sucking in hot air. All thats going to do is have the ecu pull timing because of heatsoak and result in power loss. Its not consistently making the same power all the time like a true CAI would make. Im not saying SRI's dont make power, just not the amount a CAI would make. A true CAI would be routed down and behind the bumper where it would suck in cold air all the time.

I came from imports and intakes like these that are offered for the new 5.0's are just short rams to me.

So here is the vid i found with a guy who tested the steeda intake. Im sure the same results would follow with other intakes offered for the new stangs. This is just my opinion based on my observations.

2013 Ford Mustang GT Hood Vent Water Test With Steeda Cold Air Intake - YouTube
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
Not to say anything bad about steeda, but watching their vid, it is edited and even if no water hits the filter moving, what about when you are parked at work on a rainy day for 8 hours, or shopping for a while. I found this vid that is unedited and in real time proving the water soaks the filter. You be the judge. I personally would not get an intake by any brand out there that exposes the filter to the vents. There are even rubber insulators that cj pony parts sells for 10 bucks that you put into the vents so no water hits the filter. If i did decide to go SRI and i say SRI because this intake or others for these stangs are truly SRI's to me. They sit in a hot engine bay sucking in hot air. All thats going to do is have the ecu pull timing because of heatsoak and result in power loss. Its not consistently making the same power all the time like a true CAI would make. Im not saying SRI's dont make power, just not the amount a CAI would make. A true CAI would be routed down and behind the bumper where it would suck in cold air all the time.

I came from imports and intakes like these that are offered for the new 5.0's are just short rams to me.

So here is the vid i found with a guy who tested the steeda intake. Im sure the same results would follow with other intakes offered for the new stangs. This is just my opinion based on my observations.

2013 Ford Mustang GT Hood Vent Water Test With Steeda Cold Air Intake - YouTube

Yeah...it is odd that the vids show completely different outcomes.. Maybe I should spend my money on other mods. =) thanks BUSHGUTS!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah...it is odd that the vids show completely different outcomes.. Maybe I should spend my money on other mods. =) thanks BUSHGUTS!
I always remain a skeptic when a company releases an edited vid of their product or dyno gains because at the end of the day they are just salesmen to me.

Ive been down that road many many times with my previous car build testing new parts that the manufacturer stated i would make x power with and didnt. I question their testing on a dyno. They may say if you buy x part and it was dyno tested to gain x power. I ask how do they come up with those #'s, and with what supporting mods. dynos can be skewed, and elevation and temps are all a factor in dyno testing. Did they dyno test back to back the 2 parts or did they test 1 part one day in hot weather and the other part another day in really cold weather? You can never know that because all of their vids are edited. Unless they show in real time i beleive nothing of what they say.

I only beleive the people that have paid the money for the parts that have tested the parts themselves.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Link with good info

Quote:
Go to the following link, Ford Mustang News, Reviews & Road Test at 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine, and search CAI it does have good info on the most popular CAI, about 10 of them, from prices to HP gains. I dont remenber the name of the article, but I'm 100% sure the info is there. Hope it helps.
Jose096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I have the revised C&L 2013 CAI and couldnt be happier. It does require a tune. It made my exhaust alittle louder, and gives a nice sound when driving around.

Went through a touchless car wash yesterday that just uses high pressure water. Poppped my hood afterwards to check the filter and the thing was bone dry. Peace of mind there.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokeo View Post
I have the revised C&L 2013 CAI and couldnt be happier. It does require a tune. It made my exhaust alittle louder, and gives a nice sound when driving around.

Went through a touchless car wash yesterday that just uses high pressure water. Poppped my hood afterwards to check the filter and the thing was bone dry. Peace of mind there.
On the flip side, i use a pressure washer on my car and when using pressurized water it only creates a mist of water thru the vents. Its not pressurized water that one should worry about, its the slow constant steadiness of rain that will creep in the engine bay while parked at work for 8 hours. Im sure while driving its fine because it goes back to being a mist of rainwater, but im more concerned while its raining when parked.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Here are some pics of the C & L on my 13. When i wash the car (and I try and not spray directly into the vents) the fuse box lid and the cover the filter are both wet.

In the second pic, you can see a couple of dry water spots. And this is not my daily. I have only driven in the rain once when I got caught in it.

Name:	CAI_1.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	88510

Name:	CAI_2.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	88511
CPERR2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai