11-13 Owners , need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
11-13 Owners , need help

Hi all , first off im from kuwait , so my english isnt that good , i apologize in advance

Its my first post here and it may be the post that will make me buy my first mustang

Im thinking about getting an used 5.0 , im really into this great engine , but i heard from an untrusted source that the gearbox in the 11-12 5.0 suffers from some problems , shifting to 2nd or 3rd or that unmistakable sound of something going wrong , so is it a common problem that i should worry about ? Is it easy to solve or avoid like by installing a short shifter ? Does the 13 also suffer from it ? Is there any other mistakes that i should keep in mind ?

Im still not sure what to get , 13 or 11-12 , i didnt like the looks of 13 as much as 11-12 but its still great .

There is still so many questions in my head right now but im sure your replies will answer most of them .

Thanks
Abdullah
Kooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I moved your post in the right forum for your question.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I moved your post in the right forum for your question.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Problems with these are t that bad. And the ones that do have issues usually show up before 10000 miles. If you're going to get one just make sure to do a test drive first

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The only shifting problems I have are because the stock shift bracket is pretty terrible. I've had no transmission issues so far in 3000 miles.

Also, your grammar is better than most of the posts I see from people whose first language is English.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Problems with these are t that bad. And the ones that do have issues usually show up before 10000 miles. If you're going to get one just make sure to do a test drive first
Thanks for the reply ,, but how bad exactly is (not that bad) , and i want a low milage car , but 10-20 is good for me , i will do a test drive surely but buying a car with issues is not likely to happen since i will test it , what im worried about is for it to happen after i buy one
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooty View Post

Thanks for the reply ,, but how bad exactly is (not that bad) , and i want a low milage car , but 10-20 is good for me , i will do a test drive surely but buying a car with issues is not likely to happen since i will test it , what im worried about is for it to happen after i buy one
The 2011+ 5.0 mustangs have been insanely powerfully and popular. There is an extremely low percentage of owners that have had significant trans issues... And that was mostly early 2011s. The sloppy feel of the shifter is completely rectified by an aftermarket shifter...

Test drive one and you won't be disappointed. Also be aware that bone stock mustangs have tunes that hold back the potential of the car (incredible considering how fun even the stock tune is), so a very inexpensive mod early on would be a tune (and possibly gears).

Thanks for using ME for advice.

Good luck!!

PS. Many here absolutely beat on their cars... No issues.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
The only shifting problems I have are because the stock shift bracket is pretty terrible. I've had no transmission issues so far in 3000 miles.

Also, your grammar is better than most of the posts I see from people whose first language is English.
Ive done some searches here and im planing on installing a short shifter , its on the top of my list so that will illuminate the bracket problem , im worried about real problems that costs much to repair and is very annoying to live with .

Thanks lol , ive been learning english since i was 12 .
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
Lol, so true.

OP, every car model ever made has issues. Those reported on this site and others like it are generally from Mustang/car enthusiasts who pay a great deal of attention to the details. I complain about the sloppy shifting on my '13, myself, but it's all relative. Most 2011+ Mustang owners, including myself, will tell you there is no better bang for the buck. Your research apparently worked; now go buy one! You wont regret it.

P.S. Ive been reading this site and others for well over a year and major problems are very few and far between.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The 2-3 shift issue only happens when your really beating on the car. When driving normal , I've never had the issue. As already stated, an after market shifter will solve the problem. They also sell an inexpensive bracket to stiffen the stock shifter up, It's supposed to solve the issue. Welcome to M.E.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
+1
TheAdrianHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The 2011+ 5.0 mustangs have been insanely powerfully and popular. There is an extremely low percentage of owners that have had significant trans issues... And that was mostly early 2011s. The sloppy feel of the shifter is completely rectified by an aftermarket shifter...

Test drive one and you won't be disappointed. Also be aware that bone stock mustangs have tunes that hold back the potential of the car (incredible considering how fun even the stock tune is), so a very inexpensive mod early on would be a tune (and possibly gears).

Thanks for using ME for advice.

Good luck!!

I drove one last year , is was a tuned 2011 with bolt ones and i was surprised ,, the way it pulls me to the seat on 3rd ,, just amazing , and as i said a short shifter is on the top of my list with the bolt ones , and what gears do you suggest ?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I drove one last year , is was a tuned 2011 with bolt ones and i was surprised ,, the way it pulls me to the seat on 3rd ,, just amazing , and as i said a short shifter is on the top of my list with the bolt ones , and what gears do you suggest ?

Thanks
I'll let others chime in... But if you are staying naturally aspirated, I'd go 4:10. If forced induction, 3:55 or 3:73.

Good luck!

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post

Lol, so true.

OP, every car model ever made has issues. Those reported on this site and others like it are generally from Mustang/car enthusiasts who pay a great deal of attention to the details. I complain about the sloppy shifting on my '13, myself, but it's all relative. Most 2011+ Mustang owners, including myself, will tell you there is no better bang for the buck. Your research apparently worked; now go buy one! You wont regret it.

P.S. Ive been reading this site and others for well over a year and major problems are very few and far between.

Well , what can i say more ,, hopefully ill be a 5.0 owner soon

Thanks guys for the input ,,
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
The 2-3 shift issue only happens when your really beating on the car. When driving normal , I've never had the issue. As already stated, an after market shifter will solve the problem. They also sell an inexpensive bracket to stiffen the stock shifter up, It's supposed to solve the issue. Welcome to M.E.
Thanks , im saving up for the mods already , im not planing for an inexpensive solutions lol , its also alot more fun to drive with the short throw.

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Quote:

I'll let others chime in... But if you are staying naturally aspirated, I'd go 4:10. If forced induction, 3:55 or 3:73.

Good luck!
Isnt 4:10 too high for DD ? Sounds fun though

Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks
I would personally recommend 3.73 gears with tune. It will really wake up your pony and you will be amazed at how quick she pulls with 3.73.

4.10 gears are great but your first gear is basically useless with 4.10's. and your car will become a gas monster and just suck up gas like there's no tomorrow!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

I would personally recommend 3.73 gears with tune. It will really wake up your pony and you will be amazed at how quick she pulls with 3.73.

4.10 gears are great but your first gear is basically useless with 4.10's. and your car will become a gas monster and just suck up gas like there's no tomorrow!

the gas isnt my biggest worry since its very cheap here in kuwait , but 4.10 is still too much for me

What are the stock gears ?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

I don't think anyone from Kuwait is worried about gas. Lol
Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't think anyone from Kuwait is worried about gas. Lol
exactly , filling up the car for 12$ is fine for me lol
Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooty

I figured it would be cheaper than that. Do citizens still get oil royalty checks?. I heard in the 90s it was 40k a year, but you can't belive anything you hear on tv, especially in America.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

the gas isnt my biggest worry since its very cheap here in kuwait , but 4.10 is still too much for me

Stock depending if it's a base model or performance package is either 2.73 or 3.33
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I figured it would be cheaper than that. Do citizens still get oil royalty checks?. I heard in the 90s it was 40k a year, but you can't belive anything you hear on tv, especially in America.
What exactly is oil royalty checks ? Lol

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote:

Stock depending if it's a base model or performance package is either 2.73 or 3.33
Thanks , so 3.73 really makes a different
Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't think that is correct for the GT.

I believe It was 3.31 or 3.73 (performance package).

media.ford.com/images/1003/2011_Mustang_GT_Specs.pdf

This has some good specs in the base GT.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Stock gears can be 3.31 or 3.55 or 3.73 depending on what the original buyer got.

I personally am right there with 3.73 gears. That is what I have and fantastic.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Depends on the car; for MT GTs its 3.31s with options for 3.55s & 3.73s from the factory.

EDIT: beat me to it

Quote:

Wow, its like the 70s again but without the lines or bellbottoms.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't think that is correct for the GT.

I believe It was 3.55 or 3.73 (performance package).
Thats what i heard also , so i can get 3.73 stock if it was equipped with the performance package ?

Sounds like the deal for me , i dont like messing with the gears
Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You can get 3.55s or 3.73s a la carte or in a package.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post

Depends on the car; for MT GTs its 3.31s with options for 3.55s & 3.73s from the factory.

EDIT: beat me to it

Wow, its like the 70s again but without the lines or bellbottoms.
Defiantly MT for me .

Lol
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What exactly is oil royalty checks ? Lol

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Thanks , so 3.73 really makes a different
During Gulf War, tv stations reported every citizen received 40k a year from oil revenues. I figured it was just more propaganda.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

During Gulf War, tv stations reported every citizen received 40k a year from oil revenues. I figured it was just more propaganda.
Well , during gulf war , i was 9 months old lol , but i dont think it was true
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have 4.10s and I get 22 on hwy and around 14 in city but who the heck cares about mileage when you drive a V8 mustang, I drive it like I stole it everyday, no shifter issues yet and the gears pull like crazy, but Im modded out...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

How can i tell if the 5.0 im buying has the performance pack 3.73 gears or not ?

I want to have 3.73 but i dont want to do it myself , the shops here arent really helpful and messing with the gears when you dont know what youre doing is always dangerous .
Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How can i tell if the 5.0 im buying has the performance pack 3.73 gears or not ?

I want to have 3.73 but i dont want to do it myself , the shops here arent really helpful and messing with the gears when you dont know what youre doing is always dangerous .
There will be a code on the drivers side door jamb.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I know the gg stands for 3.31
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130109_192823.png
Views:	135
Size:	757.4 KB
ID:	84927  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Got 3.73 13 mpg average, but whos checking, how bad is 4.10 ?
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT