Check ur oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Check ur oil

So the other day I took my 5.0 to get the oil changed at a dealership. On my way home, I noticed that the oil in my engine was smoking. Turns out, I was 3 quarts low on my engine and they only put in 5 quarts. I took it back and fixed it, I'm just afraid of engine damage. So from now on I'm doing my own

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Be sure to check ur oil if u take it somewhere to get it changed before u leave
Mo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2012 View Post
So the other day I took my 5.0 to get the oil changed at a dealership. On my way home, I noticed that the oil in my engine was smoking. Turns out, I was 3 quarts low on my engine and they only put in 5 quarts. I took it back and fixed it, I'm just afraid of engine damage. So from now on I'm doing my own

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Wow the dealer the purchased the car from? Under warranty? i wouldn't be a happy camper..
Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah I would be in there raising hell. Odds are your ok as long as you didn't loose oil pressure but that's pretty inexcusable.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it's the same dealer, thing is I'm at 20k miles so its still under warranty, I've never had a problem with changing it before, but somehow today they screwed up big!!! I was raising all kinds of hell. Either way I didn't lose pressure and assured me if there was any problems they would fix it of course, but either way its a mistake that should have not happened to begin with
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah it's the same dealer, thing is I'm at 20k miles so its still under warranty, I've never had a problem with changing it before, but somehow today they screwed up big!!! I was raising all kinds of hell. Either way I didn't lose pressure and assured me if there was any problems they would fix it of course, but either way its a mistake that should have not happened to begin with
If still be raising all hell man..demand something new or something he done bro..for all your know it could cause a problem 50 miles after your warranty runs out and trust me they will not still fix it for a mistake they made a while ago..I could not let something like that go
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah im gonna see how we'll she runs till the next oil change if its causing a problem ill just get another one, maybe even a 302 this time!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah im gonna see how we'll she runs till the next oil change if its causing a problem ill just get another one, maybe even a 302 this time!!!!
Demand a 302 lol !!! I want one sooooooooo bad
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I ALWAYS check the dipstick after putting in 8 quarts of oil. Why? Because sometimes we do stupid things.

Example: I mistakenly put in too much oil in my wife's Pilot last year. When I checked the dipstick, it was WAY high. Not sure how it happened, but it did. Oil changes are so easy and so routine, it creates complacency that leads to errors.

I drained some oil from her Pilot, got it right on the mark. It pays to double-check. I am surprised (well, perhaps not) that the dealership doesn't require that as part of their oil change procedures.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I don't think you'll have any problems. The oil pans are over sized to hold more oil, in order to keep the oil temperature down.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

If still be raising all hell man..demand something new or something he done bro..for all your know it could cause a problem 50 miles after your warranty runs out and trust me they will not still fix it for a mistake they made a while ago..I could not let something like that go
^ I received a free extended warranty for complaining about a small issue with one of my panels rubbing. Chaching
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What is wrong with these dealers?! The same exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago. They put in only 6 quarts. Luckily for me, I checked the paperwork right after I drove off. Checked the levels and it was confirmed... called them up, but didn't bother to turn back around. I added the extra 2.5 quarts(Boss 302 oil pan+oil cooler installed). I won't be going back there, again.
2011 Mustang GT Premium 401A Spec- Sterling Gray, aka "Graycie", 6-Speed MT, 3.73, Brembo Brake Package, Current Mods: FRPP-Brakelines/Brake Ducts/Alternator/Radiator/Oil Pan/Oil Cooler/Trans.Scoop/Alum.Axle Cover, Steeda-Sport Springs/3rd Link/Adj.UCA/Alum.LCA/Rel.Brackets/Adj.PHB & Brace/Adj.F&R Swaybars/Adj.Front Endlinks/HD Strut Mounts/X11 Ball Joint/Bumpsteer/CAI, Koni Sport Shocks, ATI Damper, MGW Shifter, Kooks Catback, Wavetrac Diff, Michelin Pilot Super Sport... 93 Octane Performance Tune by VMP
GrayGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

Depends how many miles you drove it like that. You should be fine though. Last year I learned something that I will always check on the side after getting an oil change. I went to Walmart with my wife's 2008 focus... Got a synthetic oil change. Drove like almost 15 miles when I noticed smoke coming out from the front. Pulled over and guess what????? ......... There was oil all over the freaking place! Everywhere! The oil cap was not on WTF!! I looked carefully and found it wedged around the engine. Very careless from others when working on our cars. We just have to be cautious all the time. My 2 cents.
Supe01stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yup lesson learned and point taken my friends
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I learned my lesson letting other people change my oil years ago. I went to an express oil change. They showed me the stick and the oil level was perfect. I pulled my truck out of stall and was checking something else under hood, anyways I checked the oil. It was nearly 2 qts over full. They drained it back out and apologized but I've never trusted an establishment like that again. I'm sure they're all not bad but I prefer to do mine myself.
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You have a man car, be a man and do your own service. Lol just messing with you
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #16
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
You have a man car, be a man and do your own service. Lol just messing with you
I'd rather just to pay the dealer to change my oil. My cars too low to drive up on ramps. Besides the dealer threw in a dozen oil changes with my new car purchase.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I really dont think a lot of ford techs get trained enough when new vehicles come out... Not that they are uneducated but i think managers should enforce the techs to learn the basic maitnances for new vehicles like how much oil to put in a vehicle
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
I really dont think a lot of ford techs get trained enough when new vehicles come out... Not that they are uneducated but i think managers should enforce the techs to learn the basic maitnances for new vehicles like how much oil to put in a vehicle
A good tech will look it up. I think that's the problem. The techs at a dealer have all the resources necessary to not screw up any of the maintenance and instead of taking two minutes to look up how much oil goes in the damn things some of them just guess. And it appears that pretty much none of them check the stick afterwards. If they do, they probably don't wipe it off before checking.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

A good tech will look it up. I think that's the problem. The techs at a dealer have all the resources necessary to not screw up any of the maintenance and instead of taking two minutes to look up how much oil goes in the damn things some of them just guess. And it appears that pretty much none of them check the stick afterwards. If they do, they probably don't wipe it off before checking.
+1111 You are right... They get to confident
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
its a roll of the dice, they employee cheap labor and expect failures and rationalize the cost savings to put out new motors as needed.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
yeah and the problem I see with guessing is that it doesn't always make sense. My 5.0L Mustang takes more oil than my 5.7L iForce Tundra engine.

Most people would guess the opposite.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

yeah and the problem I see with guessing is that it doesn't always make sense. My 5.0L Mustang takes more oil than my 5.7L iForce Tundra engine.

Most people would guess the opposite.
We have an oversized oil pan to help with oil temp.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
We have an oversized oil pan to help with oil temp.
I know that, I am just saying I bet if you ask most oil change places if bigger engines take more oil, they will say yes always.

ask most people even. My dad who has owned a lot of cars, thought the truck would take more oil. People just don't think about things like that.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This is why I do all my own maintenance. I go buy 8 quarts and a filter. I fill the filter between half and 3/4 depending on the angle it's going on so I don't spill any. I've NEVER seen a dealership or quick change place pre-fill the filter. It's something I'll always do. I'm anal about certain things. Then I add the oil and know exactly what I've put in.

I even have a strong magnet on each oil pan and trans pan of my rides to help catch any shavings or particles. Overkill maybe, but it can't hurt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT