Another one of these Treads: Twin Turbo or Supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Another one of these Treads: Twin Turbo or Supercharger

Hey,

I have a few dollars in my hand to spend. And I really want to get the new twin turbo kit from twinturbo50.com. However, I'm also considering the Paxton from JPC. I have enough money for the twin turbo. I know it will cost roughly 1500-2500 more than the Paxton. I've never driven a supercharged or a turbo charged mustang. Only a few turbo honda's back in the day. I just don't know what to do. My goal is to have a nice, fast reliable street car. Opinions/Facts/ .02cents and .03 cents are welcome. Thanks
CoyoteAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Vmp tuning is selling a new sc with a 127 mm TB. It is a tvs but they played with it so u can get 650 to 800 wheel hp out of the box. Check it out on their web site! That is the one i am going with hopefully sometime this year.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAce View Post
Hey,

I have a few dollars in my hand to spend. And I really want to get the new twin turbo kit from twinturbo50.com. However, I'm also considering the Paxton from JPC. I have enough money for the twin turbo. I know it will cost roughly 1500-2500 more than the Paxton. I've never driven a supercharged or a turbo charged mustang. Only a few turbo honda's back in the day. I just don't know what to do. My goal is to have a nice, fast reliable street car. Opinions/Facts/ .02cents and .03 cents are welcome. Thanks
It really depends on what your goals are and what you want to accomplish! Do you think you will stop at low boost? Or do you plan on building a super beast!! Are you doing the install yourself? are you mechanically inclined?

2012 6 speed GT with a 8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit tuned by BBR, GFB Geforce II controller, ID1000 injectors, BAP, GT500 Mufflers no cats, MGW shifter, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and AMR Wheels. BMR upper control arm and bracket, Whiteline panhard brace, BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar. 552/597 at 7.8 psi
6SpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
On 3 did a test and made over 100 extra horse power with a turbo kit over a supercharger
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAce
Hey,

Since you said reliable street car I'd go supercharger.
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5.0 View Post
Since you said reliable street car I'd go supercharger.
Agreed. ^^^ Not that turbo's can't be reliable, they just have more components and are more complex than superchargers. In other words, more components have a greater potential to fail on a turbo system, especially a twin turbo system. For an easy install and predicable power, go with a centrifugal supercharger from Procharger, Vortech, or Paxton.

Good luck with your decision!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Assuming one is not beating there car hard when driving daily, will a supercharger greatly shorten the engines life. Would the supercharger shorten the life of the engine at all. Could one easily get 150 to 200 k miles on a mustang that has a supercharger. Assuming one is not driving it like they stole it on a daily basis.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Assuming one is not beating there car hard when driving daily, will a supercharger greatly shorten the engines life. Would the supercharger shorten the life of the engine at all. Could one easily get 150 to 200 k miles on a mustang that has a supercharger. Assuming one is not driving it like they stole it on a daily basis.
No one knows yet.... But the coyote has proven to be very durable... Even on stock internals ... There was a lot of fear of boost initially... Everyone is soon it with some impressive FWHP.

If you aren't crazy with it AND maintain it, I do not think 100 - 200 is unreasonable.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

No one knows yet.... But the coyote has proven to be very durable... Even on stock internals ... There was a lot of fear of boost initially... Everyone is soon it with some impressive FWHP.

If you aren't crazy with it AND maintain it, I do not think 100 - 200 is unreasonable.
I have a 11 v6 and the only SC that I know for the v6 is the pro charger. What type of maintenance does one have to keep up with on the super charger?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have a 11 v6 and the only SC that I know for the v6 is the pro charger. What type of maintenance does one have to keep up with on the super charger?
I was just talking about the engine maintenance in general... Take care of her and she'll last a loooong time!

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was just talking about the engine maintenance in general... Take care of her and she'll last a loooong time!
Sorry. I just misunderstood ya. I would love a pro charger for mine.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sorry. I just misunderstood ya. I would love a pro charger for mine.
No worries,
I'm sure the supercharger on the 6 is awesome!!!

Like many... If you are concerned... Hold off a few... Then after the reliability of the 6 has been confirmed, go for it!

The 6 as is is very impressive compared to equivalent cars.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
No worries,
I'm sure the supercharger on the 6 is awesome!!!

Like many... If you are concerned... Hold off a few... Then after the reliability of the 6 has been confirmed, go for it!

The 6 as is is very impressive compared to equivalent cars.
I thought about doing that myself, getting a V6 and a procharger would have been a better deal than getting a 5.0 by itself. Not gonna lie tho, I just have to have the V8!

A procharger on the V6 is going to be one nasty ride!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone for you responses, I'm most likely going to go with the Paxton, I just wanted to have something different. Everyone has supercharges on mustang. But if I go that route, with the money that I'll be saving I'll pick up some forgestar f14s.
CoyoteAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAce View Post
Thanks everyone for you responses, I'm most likely going to go with the Paxton, I just wanted to have something different. Everyone has supercharges on mustang. But if I go that route, with the money that I'll be saving I'll pick up some forgestar f14s.
There is a reason why most of stangs use a sc and why stock car come with a SC and not a centri sc.
I just hate the difference in torque and hp from the centri, i know they are still fast when built boost but a twin screw is just lighting fast at any rpm and any gear.
If money is not a problem i would get a twin screw and down the like if u want to upgrade the engine u can put a smaller pulley and make 16 psi on a 2.3 vmp SC. And it also looks soo bad a$$ and still gives it that oem look. My 2 cents.
Either way u cant go wrong with the two. Both will make you scream like a little girl
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just a quick poll. What would you guys buy? The Ford Racing SC or the Roush SC? Thanks
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Roush all the way
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

http://vmptuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=1466
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride
Just a quick poll. What would you guys buy? The Ford Racing SC or the Roush SC? Thanks
Roush
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
There is a reason why most of stangs use a sc and why stock car come with a SC and not a centri sc.
I just hate the difference in torque and hp from the centri, i know they are still fast when built boost but a twin screw is just lighting fast at any rpm and any gear.
If money is not a problem i would get a twin screw and down the like if u want to upgrade the engine u can put a smaller pulley and make 16 psi on a 2.3 vmp SC. And it also looks soo bad a$$ and still gives it that oem look. My 2 cents.
Either way u cant go wrong with the two. Both will make you scream like a little girl
Wonder why the new Cobra Jet is twin turbo? Oh and why the SHO is turbo and the big deal about ECO Boost...Oh yea Turbos are the future SCs are things of the past. Doubt car manufacturers would but putting turbos on Factory cars unless they were just as durable and reliable!

2012 6 speed GT with a 8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit tuned by BBR, GFB Geforce II controller, ID1000 injectors, BAP, GT500 Mufflers no cats, MGW shifter, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and AMR Wheels. BMR upper control arm and bracket, Whiteline panhard brace, BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar. 552/597 at 7.8 psi
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedFreak View Post

Wonder why the new Cobra Jet is twin turbo? Oh and why the SHO is turbo and the big deal about ECO Boost...Oh yea Turbos are the future SCs are things of the past. Doubt car manufacturers would but putting turbos on Factory cars unless they were just as durable and reliable!
Haha go back and read better, because i never talked about a turbo, all i said was centri sc. Is ok i will accept your Apologies, lol jk

Turbo and twin screw is all about preference imo i just like the looks and performance of the sc.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I am not big for drag racing i like autocross and track days better and without a doubt the twin screw will out preform there, having TQ all the time and not having to heel toe in every corner to keep boost up.

But in a drag strip a centri and turbo will eat a supercharger.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I know you didn't talk about the turbo!! That is why I made the comment! Soo many people stuck in the past with Turbos...Todays turbo is nothing like the ones in the 80s...People need to get used to change because the turbos are taking over!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedFreak View Post
I know you didn't talk about the turbo!! That is why I made the comment! Soo many people stuck in the past with Turbos...Todays turbo is nothing like the ones in the 80s...People need to get used to change because the turbos are taking over!
Haha i dont think nobody is talking about the 80's turbo.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

also on the track how often are you below 2500 RPM...I would think most people would keep the RPMs up...and if you are over 2500 then the turbo with be in boost just the same...not full but getting there and by 3k full boost...PD only has advantage off idle to about 2500 RPM After that it is all Turbo!!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Haha go back and read better, because i never talked about a turbo, all i said was centri sc. Is ok i will accept your Apologies, lol jk

Turbo and twin screw is all about preference imo i just like the looks and performance of the sc.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I am not big for drag racing i like autocross and track days better and without a doubt the twin screw will out preform there, having TQ all the time and not having to heel toe in every corner to keep boost up.

But in a drag strip a centri and turbo will eat a supercharger.
What you just stated is arguing FOR turbos. PDs don't perform well for track days...heat soak.

All top performing track purpose cars are N/A or turbo...only production car I've seen consistently perform well with a PD is ZR1.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT