dynamat sound proofing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
dynamat sound proofing

Am installing dynamat sound proofing in the trunk area of the car, plus the inner fender areas. My 2013 GT CS has such horrible road noise, that I also sprayed truck bed liner 1/16" thick before applying the dynamat. A simple tap test with the knuckle showed a marked improvement. Now I am working on the inner fenders, first applying the truck bed liner, then adhering the dynamat, also treating both sides of the removable inner fender with the truck bed liner. Super easy to do, and am looking forward to road testing.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Wouldnt buying a Cadillac have been a better choice? I dont really pay attention to the road noise. I guess im to busy listening to the exhaust.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman325 View Post
Am installing dynamat sound proofing in the trunk area of the car, plus the inner fender areas. My 2013 GT CS has such horrible road noise, that I also sprayed truck bed liner 1/16" thick before applying the dynamat. A simple tap test with the knuckle showed a marked improvement. Now I am working on the inner fenders, first applying the truck bed liner, then adhering the dynamat, also treating both sides of the removable inner fender with the truck bed liner. Super easy to do, and am looking forward to road testing.
be sure let us know how it works!
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where do u get the truck bed liner?
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm not sure I'd spray/paint anything into the interior parts of the car. Basically it's a closed coffin as the stuff VOCs off. Dynamat is fine on its own. It really does make a difference. It's just stupid expensive for some aluminum foil and butyl rubber.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Where do u get the truck bed liner?
You can buy it at any auto parts store or Walmart in rattle cans.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Seriously folks, think this one through. Lots of bedliners contain high levels of VOCs and isocyanates, which are toxic, particularly isocyanates, which require phosgene for production. Anybody hear that word before? Phosgene gas was used in WW1, to kill Tommies, oh and an isocyanate was the killer in Bhopal, India, too, btw. Many states actually ban spray on bedliner because of this.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Seriously folks, think this one through. Lots of bedliners contain high levels of VOCs and isocyanates, which are toxic, particularly isocyanates, which require phosgene for production. Anybody hear that word before? Phosgene gas was used in WW1, to kill Tommies, oh and an isocyanate was the killer in Bhopal, India, too, btw. Many states actually ban spray on bedliner because of this.
We get it.. But would it be an issue in the trunk area?
I've never herd that states have 'banned' spray in bed liners, that is def news to me..
Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I paint my rooms with that stuff all the time, easy to clean and stands up great from the kids.
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
We get it.. But would it be an issue in the trunk area?
I've never herd that states have 'banned' spray in bed liners, that is def news to me..
yeah...I don't think any states have banned it. Infact I remember reading a thread from some guys with crown vics that would spray their entire truck with the stuff. Said they'd feel high for a few days, but else wise was all good.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The trunk area is not isolated from the cabin by anything but the seatbacks. Hardly airtight. I'm sure there are probably less toxic versions of this stuff out there but, just figure on somebody reading this and getting the bright idea to head down to Vatozone and pick up whatever's on the shelf, without regard for the ingredients. Considering a bad choice here could at the very least make your car undriveable and at worst kill you on the road, why not get some of the stuff sold for this purpose, if you insist? I believe Dynamat makes some liquid stuff, too. Pricey but, you're not taking the risk of introducing a deadly chemical agent to the car interior.

Dynamat foil-back alone will deal with anything you're trying to tame, pretty much.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
The trunk area is not isolated from the cabin by anything but the seatbacks. Hardly airtight. I'm sure there are probably less toxic versions of this stuff out there but, just figure on somebody reading this and getting the bright idea to head down to Vatozone and pick up whatever's on the shelf, without regard for the ingredients. Considering a bad choice here could at the very least make your car undriveable and at worst kill you on the road, why not get some of the stuff sold for this purpose, if you insist? I believe Dynamat makes some liquid stuff, too. Pricey but, you're not taking the risk of introducing a deadly chemical agent to the car interior.

Dynamat foil-back alone will deal with anything you're trying to tame, pretty much.
Vato Zone... Really...
Credibility gone..
Wow...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

Vato Zone... Really...
Credibility gone..
Wow...
LMAO VatoZone hahahahahaha HILARIOUS
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Wouldnt buying a Cadillac have been a better choice? I dont really pay attention to the road noise. I guess im to busy listening to the exhaust.
+1!!!
13BLKCYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Allrighty then, on yer bike, all of you. Do what you like and best of luck. ...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

There was a truck on street customs they sprayed bed liner on it for one of the dirt bike companies. A compete truck in it lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
There was a truck on street customs they sprayed bed liner on it for one of the dirt bike companies. A compete truck in it lol
I could see the benefit of that, less chance of tearing up the "paint" with rock chips and such since the truck bed stuff is usually pretty strong.

wouldn't do it on a normal car, but a truck/specially an off road truck, might be worth it.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yep alot easier to clean off mud and stuff pretty cool idea . So I don't see how it's hazardous just do be snorting the spray lmao
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen quite a few trucks that have it on their rocker panels to keep them from being beat up by road junk and rocks. I'm sure there It would help with road noise as well as insulation qualities, but check into the chemicals used in them too. Find a MSDS sheet on the web or mfg site and look at the health risks. To get enough material to seal completely and stick for any length of time I'd think there would have to be a decent amount if product applied.

Dynamat on its own works great. One of the car stereo companies has a spray that works good, can't remember which one.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
I've seen quite a few trucks that have it on their rocker panels to keep them from being beat up by road junk and rocks. I'm sure there It would help with road noise as well as insulation qualities, but check into the chemicals used in them too. Find a MSDS sheet on the web or mfg site and look at the health risks. To get enough material to seal completely and stick for any length of time I'd think there would have to be a decent amount if product applied.

Dynamat on its own works great. One of the car stereo companies has a spray that works good, can't remember which one.
It's called boom spray! Well the one on American muscle
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
No kidding ... road noise? What's that?
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Just an update for the can sniffers out there. I am retired, and have several vehicles, so when I undertook this project, I knew the car would be sidelined in the shop for a week or so to ventilate. I sprayed the bed liner (which I purchased at the local napa store) knowing the product is a vinyl based product and applied it with ventilation in layers. Each layer dried completely before the next application, and I used a fan located in the front of the car with the doors open and the trunk up. The application of the dynamat puts an entire layer of aluminum over the top of the bed liner, preventing any risidual off gasing. The car smells like new still, with no detectable offensive odor. The inner fenders on the rear are finished, and will be assembled today as I also coated the felt like inner fenders on both sides with the truck bed liner spray. After the inner fenders are back on, I will build a custom fender flare from aluminum to catch more road spray than the original small ones. I live on a mile of gravel road, so spraying the rocker panels with the truck liner will also be done.

And, yes, I could have bought a cadillac or benz, but then that would look pretty funny with a mustang logo on it.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

And, yes, I could have bought a cadillac or benz, but then that would look pretty funny with a mustang logo on it.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT