Back to the lab again - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Back to the lab again

Ok guys now that i have finally decided what power route Im going(vortech S/C). I need some help in the power prep stage. I plan on getting the Boss 302 I/M and Shorty Headers(because i need to keep my stock cats).

What brand shorty headers would you recommend? I also plan to upgrade the cams. Which cams would you guys recommend?

thirdly i need to also upgrade my upper and lower control arms. What brands would you recommend with those?
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
D00m3dHitm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n View Post
Ok guys now that i have finally decided what power route Im going(vortech S/C). I need some help in the power prep stage. I plan on getting the Boss 302 I/M and Shorty Headers(because i need to keep my stock cats).

What brand shorty headers would you recommend? I also plan to upgrade the cams. Which cams would you guys recommend?

thirdly i need to also upgrade my upper and lower control arms. What brands would you recommend with those?
Don't bother with shorty headers, if your going to do long tubes + a catted x or h pipe worth it, but changing out the shorty headers on this car for different shorty headers, not worth it.

If you wanna go big whiteline for the control arms, my budget restricts me from this, so I am going BMR myself.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
can always get a Kooks shorty High flow catted xpipe with the Kooks longtube headers. just an option
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Will i need the relocation brackets for either the BMR or the Whiteline LCAs?
Also which Kooks headers should i get or work with the Borla cat back system i have already? 1-3/4in or 1-7/8in?
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also which Kooks headers should i get or work with the Borla cat back system i have already? 1-3/4in or 1-7/8in?
I am not so sure on the long tube headers, though I think most people that do FI go with 1-3/4". I think there are some others on here with more knowledge in that area that can help ya.

as for the relocation brackets, you will only need those if you lower the car, if you are not lowering the car, but just trying to prevent wheel hop from the FI you are doing, you'll just need the LCA. Also would recommend considering an aftermarket panhard bar. The stock ones are not overly stiff, know people have bent them before, and just would be worth your while to help stiffen up the back end.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i already have an Airbag suspension, Panhand bar and Caster/camber plates that i haven't installed on my car yet.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Boss manifold with s/c is not a good idea
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
my buddy just had the 1-3/4 installed and after the dyno tune he said he car was pumping out 450 to the wheels. another car same mods wasn't pushing out as much with the 1-7/8. I would go with the 3/4th
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
That is a blanket statement. Please explain why so there is no confusion for the OP.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
car to say why...instead of just saying a negative sentence?

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
That is a blanket statement. Please explain why so there is no confusion for the OP.
beat me too it! haha
Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
I would like to know cuz i thought it would be a decent combo but i my self would go with that new cobra jet intake with a SC
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

See I'm also Curious about that Cobra Jet Mani, but without any numbers I just don't know for sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
See I'm also Curious about that Cobra Jet Mani, but without any numbers I just don't know for sure.
Im not sure what gains you would get for it yet but im gonna be looking for sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
Im not sure what gains you would get for it yet but im gonna be looking for sure.
better be amazing since you need the manifold AND a new TB.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Right! but if i was gonna go that route i would for sure get a new TB.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
All of the fastest centri sc drag cars have the boss IM, please she's some light on this. I've seen a video of ONE that blew up but that was at some ungodly psi, (I know the car was well north of 1000 rwhp) and they even replaced it with another boss IM and it was just fine.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

And intake tube!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

And intake tube!
I thought there was something else! Thanks!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

if you notice people with forced induction generally have the stock manifold. There is a good reason for this. The "boss" manifold creates high rpm power but loses torque/hp down low so the torque curve moves way over to the right on a graph. The car wont start "making" more power until about 7000rpm, it will acctually lose power up to that point. When running forced induction most tuners recommend not to spin the engine that fast under boost for obvious reason. Secondly a supercharger will add massive torque mid rpm range. The stock intake manifold also has more torque/power in the middle of the rpm range like the supercharger. When used together they work hand in hand, its tunning for responsiveness if you will. So basically when your boosting having the stock manifold will help you put the power down for a longer window of time at the right time versus having power at 7000-7500rpm which your rarely using and is such a short time. If you are N/A and road racing like me that's a different story for having a boss mani as im always downshifting at 8,000rpm....

If you are looking for top hp numbers the boss manifold will make more power up top however the stock manifold will give you more useable power and torque especially on the street

If you dont want to take my word for it. Here you go
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Those are some interesting points, and could save me a bunch of money.

now the question is how would the Cobra Jet manifold work with a Vortech Supercharger?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #21
Regular
Supporter

Video didn't really show anything but a 1000hp coyote. You can easily make up the down low TQ loss with some 3.73s or 4.10s. 7000 to 7500 is what you rarely use on the street which you shouldn't be doing anyways.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Video didn't really show anything but a 1000hp coyote. You can easily make up the down low TQ loss with some 3.73s or 4.10s. 7000 to 7500 is what you rarely use on the street which you shouldn't be doing anyways.
So then if I have 3.73 gears(which I do) then the boss Mani will be fine?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The Kooks 1 7/8 headers, with them mid length and equal length in design, are a nightmare to install. Just something to think about. And skip the shorties. As far as the cams go, they would be the absolute last thing on my list. The Boss intake and the Vortech are a good match.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
So then if I have 3.73 gears(which I do) then the boss Mani will be fine?
Yes,you won't even notice a loss of TQ down low. This is what I have and it's fine. In the end it's all gonna be a matter of opinion with the Boss mani. Some love it and some think it's worthless.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes,you won't even notice a loss of TQ down low. This is what I have and it's fine. In the end it's all gonna be a matter of opinion with the Boss mani. Some love it and some think it's worthless.
I also have 3.73s, boss manifold and the torque loss is very noticeable to me. I used to be able to spin tires at 2-3k so easily. However the gain up top is solid.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Quote:
That 1000hp coyote also had a stock manifold. Dont you think they would put the boss manifold if they thouht it would help?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I also have 3.73s, boss manifold and the torque loss is very noticeable to me. I used to be able to spin tires at 2-3k so easily. However the gain up top is solid.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

That 1000hp coyote also had a stock manifold. Dont you think they would put the boss manifold if they thouht it would help?
Do you have a OR mid pipe or LTs with your set up?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I have boss intake and 3.73 and have no problem spinning tires, and I run 275 all the way around.

Just because they chose to build their coyote without the boss intake does not mean or prove anything, look at most other drag setups and you will find the boss intake

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you have a OR mid pipe or LTs with your set up?
I have a o/r exhaust and 285 extreme tires

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote:

I have boss intake and 3.73 and have no problem spinning tires, and I run 275 all the way around.

Just because they chose to build their coyote without the boss intake does not mean or prove anything, look at most other drag setups and you will find the boss intake
Have not seen any boss manifolds with f/i at the track or at all to be honest

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote:

I have a o/r exhaust and 285 extreme tires

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Have not seen any boss manifolds with f/i at the track or at all to be honest
Im not saying i cant spin the tires it just happens later versus happening sooner
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The worlds fastest Vortech Supercharged 5.0 by Team Beefcake has the Boss 302 Mani:
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
Regular
Supporter

Yellow50.......I guess it's rare for you to see a Boss mani at the track because it not a good combo?

Here is a former ME members 5.0 complete with a Boss mani which he tracks quite often.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

As everyone else above said, skip the shorty headers. The stock manifolds are actually pretty decent on the Coyotes.

The Boss IM is also a great combo with the centri blowers. All the fastest cars are running the Boss IM with a centri blower or TT setup, so I'm not too sure what Yellow50 is rambling on about. There is a vendor who has a lot of experience with this setup, but I'm not sure if he's a sponsor here so I can't say his name. If you search around I'm sure you can figure out who it is.

As to the UCA/LCAs, there are a few good brands to choose from, but not all of them are sponsors here so I will again refrain from making a recommendation. If you search this forum and some others you will see the common names come up. You really can't go wrong with any of the popular choices. Make sure you do the UCA bracket as well, it's as important as the UCA in itself. If you're lowering the car, you should probably also get the LCA relocation brackets to fix the inclination of the LCAs. Some of these are better than others, but you'll have to research that on your own as well.

Also, what are your goals for power levels? If you're shooting above 650RWHP or so you might want to spring for forged pistons and rods. They seem to let go shortly after that power level...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

If i go with the Kooks LT headers will i HAVE to get a Kooks catted H-pipe(I will need to be CA smog legal)? or can i keep the current cats and pipe on my car?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #33
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
If i go with the Kooks LT headers will i HAVE to get a Kooks catted H-pipe(I will need to be CA smog legal)? or can i keep the current cats and pipe on my car?
It's my understanding that in CA you CANNOT alter the emissions system in any way, which means you cannot install LT's

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

It's my understanding that in CA you CANNOT alter the emissions system in any way, which means you cannot install LT's
Correct....LT's+california emissions=fail
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
Correct....LT's+california emissions=fail
Yep, no headers in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT