Mpg question, this is really pissing me off too, help me - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
seems like the auto trans get much better mpg's. stick is more fun though
It's proven that manual you will always get better mileage against automatic. Try driving at 1500 rpm for a full tank. I've almost doubled my mileage by doing that. The only way a automatic can be near manual is by tuning the shift points to lower rpms
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I also drive with the windows up 95% of time, less drag, less dirt. I find the sooner I get to speed I'm looking for and get to 6th gear saves fuel. I still like taking the car out early in the morning for spirited driving 4-5 am.
FlGtPrem013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
if i shifted at 1800-2000 i would feel like im going no where. i usually shift at 3500 and my rpms drop to about 2k. so im always starting around 2k. i use 6th gear to cruise at so it usually puts me at around 1300 rpms. i have 3.73's.
Quote:
i only have 3400 miles on mine so far. that may have an affect on my mpgs
Well, I think you found your answers. It's a new car, give it some time. You're also racing around all the time.

For my daily driving, I pretty much shift at around 2k. I'll open it up when necessary--passing or merging. I also tend to skip-shift (1-3-5-6) and look ahead so I can coast down rather that play the yo-yo game in traffic. I guess I get a little bit of pervese pleasure with the loud Roush exhaust announcing I'm loping along and keeping up with the Hondas trying to show off. Yup, you're racing & my car isn't even noticing.

I save my revs for the track. Then I use all of them.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
Well, I think you found your answers. It's a new car, give it some time. You're also racing around all the time.

For my daily driving, I pretty much shift at around 2k. I'll open it up when necessary--passing or merging. I also tend to skip-shift (1-3-5-6) and look ahead so I can coast down rather that play the yo-yo game in traffic. I guess I get a little bit of pervese pleasure with the loud Roush exhaust announcing I'm loping along and keeping up with the Hondas trying to show off. Yup, you're racing & my car isn't even noticing.

shifting at 3500 is not what i call racing around
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

It will drop your mileage pretty significantly though. In my experience anyway. It certainly doesn't feel like racing but it's high for shifting for good gas mileage.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

If you gain in wheel what you lose in rubber (with a smaller sidewall) it won't change a thing. Not trying to debate,just making a statement.
Thanks for clearing that up......guess you think I'm some kinda dumbass. I gained in wheel size but also the tire diameter decreased. Do you know what tire rpms are? Oh yeah I did mess up the tire revs for a 275/40/19 is 750 rpms not 731. A 275/40/19 spins at 750 rpms and a 285/30/20 spins at 776 rpms. Your telling me it didn't change a thing? Sorry just trying to make a fact, Jack!
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Shift 2-3-6 for best MPG
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #78
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I get about 5 mpg on the interstate and about 3 in the city lol. If I get in it, I can actually see the tank trying to suck the gas hand in. My whole dash puckers. We gottem men. If we gottem we can afford to drive them. Lol. If we can't, let's get geo metros!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I get about 5 mpg on the interstate and about 3 in the city lol. If I get in it, I can actually see the tank trying to suck the gas hand in. My whole dash puckers. We gottem men. If we gottem we can afford to drive them. Lol. If we can't, let's get geo metros!
+1000 this
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Whenever I can't afford to drive the mustang, I'll be riding my zx9 ninja oh yeah. I can get like 30 mpg on it hehe.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #81
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom View Post
Whenever I can't afford to drive the mustang, I'll be riding my zx9 ninja oh yeah. I can get like 30 mpg on it hehe.
CBR 600 here. Just waaaaaaay too cold for that at the moment. We could always take my little Tacoma. It'll do!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom View Post
Been looking at buying one myself for the spring and summer time. Looks like a nice fun bike.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Update.

Filled up with 93 and gauge said 213 miles to empty. Drove very easy for 95% of the time with some occassional swift accelerations to 60. mainly from rolling in 1st at like 10-15 mph to 60mph. you know just the usual passing someone or merging. total maybe (5 times). Gas light came on. Filled up again. It took 13.2 gallons. I went 182 miles. So 182 divided by 13.2 = 13.78 mpg's. the digital fuel economy calculator in track apps read spot on. Right down to the amount of gallons used and my trip mpg's. to me that kind of mileage is not good. I think i should have had atleast 14.5 give or take a very little for a few speed bursts.

What do you think? Is anyone else getting this kind of mpg's or worse or better?
I get almost identical miles but I think my tank fits a gallon less in my 88 mustang 5.0 fills up to with 12.3 gallons from E go about 170-175 miles per fill up I drive pretty fast or just do 80% city driving I think the most miles I got out my tank was almost 200 miles but that was first week with car getting use to the tourqiness grandma driving
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The420fox View Post
I get almost identical miles but I think my tank fits a gallon less in my 88 mustang 5.0 fills up to with 12.3 gallons from E go about 170-175 miles per fill up I drive pretty fast or just do 80% city driving I think the most miles I got out my tank was almost 200 miles but that was first week with car getting use to the tourqiness grandma driving
ya, the mpgs in these cars are garbage. makes me sad everytime i look at the gas needle its like its always getting pulled down by gravity. i think im gonna have to just sell this car. im not paying 400 a month in gas. its ridiculous.

People say a tune will help mpgs, by how much is my question. Is it worth the 380?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

ya, the mpgs in these cars are garbage. makes me sad everytime i look at the gas needle its like its always getting pulled down by gravity. i think im gonna have to just sell this car. im not paying 400 a month in gas. its ridiculous.

People say a tune will help mpgs, by how much is my question. Is it worth the 380?
well my gas needle stays on super full when its a quarter or more because i think i need a new sending unit or i think I would feel the same way.... Gives me false hope that my car doesn't waste as much gas as it does .... I'm interested in the tuned question also I think spending 400 on a hopefully 2-3 mpg gain at least would be worth it(especially if your in the single digits) ... I think how often you drive it would be my decider also if its worth it actually if its a DD definitely you will get your money back eventually if you plan on keeping the car as a DD but this is just the way I think
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Ya if a tune gets 2-3 or even 4 mpgs more then the gas saved will pay for the tune
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So sell it. If you are going to complain about the MPG this badly go buy a hybrid. You purchased the wrong car.

Doesn't sound like you will ever be happy with it. If you tune it even if it would increase your MPG your driving will be different as it is a whole different car and your average may go down as in my case this car just loves to rev high without trying.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
U guys wanna feel bad ?

350 hp and I get 31.6 mpg highway
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
U guys wanna feel bad ?

Doing 60, lol, no thanks
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

I picked my 13' up Saturday (3.73 gears) and averaged 13 mpg just joy riding. By the time I got home from work Monday afternoon I was averaging 14.5 mpg due to highway driving and by the time I parked in the parking garage at the office today I was up to 16.0 average. I have about a 50/50 mix of back country roads and highway with 10(ish) minutes of my overall commute being in stop and go traffic.

That being said I used to have a 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 then a 2011 C6 Corvette so if I see 18 mpg in the Stang I'll be happy. The other thing, at least for me, is that I only do the commute a couple times a week - the rest of the week I work from home.
madGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
So sell it. If you are going to complain about the MPG this badly go buy a hybrid. You purchased the wrong car.

Doesn't sound like you will ever be happy with it. If you tune it even if it would increase your MPG your driving will be different as it is a whole different car and your average may go down as in my case this car just loves to rev high without trying.
then a tune is out of the question. i just cant see why we can fly to mars, but cant get 20mpgs in a stang.

its just depressing to say the least. Ferrari's get better mpgs than my pony does.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford
U guys wanna feel bad ?

No thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman

Doing 60, lol, no thanks
Beat me to it.lol

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS

then a tune is out of the question. i just cant see why we can fly to mars, but cant get 20mpgs in a stang.

its just depressing to say the least. Ferrari's get better mpgs than my pony does.
You can buy a gas station for the price of a Ferrari .
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Also the cost difference in our Mustangs compared to a Ferrari, is enough to purchase fuel to drive our cars for the next 30 plus years.
FlGtPrem013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

im not comparing the stang to a ferrari in performance, styling or etc. i was just using an analogy. ferraris are known for like 5mpgs, but a $35k car should do better. im not even getting the advertised mpgs.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You should have bought a 4 banger.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
im not comparing the stang to a ferrari in performance, styling or etc. i was just using an analogy. ferraris are known for like 5mpgs, but a $35k car should do better. im not even getting the advertised mpgs.
The only way to get advertised mpgs is to drive like they want you to. You have to use skip shift, have a 3.31 gear not 3.73, you have to shift at 2k rpm. Stuff like that is what I was told when I took my car in
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
The only way to get advertised mpgs is to drive like they want you to. You have to use skip shift, have a 3.31 gear not 3.73, you have to shift at 2k rpm. Stuff like that is what I was told when I took my car in
my window sticker shows the 3.73 and advertises 15 mpgs city. i just dont see it possible to shift at 2k rpms. if i do that it would be like moving like a snail and jam up traffic.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

my window sticker shows the 3.73 and advertises 15 mpgs city. i just dont see it possible to shift at 2k rpms. if i do that it would be like moving like a snail and jam up traffic.
I drove mine everyday like I stole it with 3.73 gears and with city driving I was averaging 16. That was with a bama race tune and revving it at lights all the time. I still rev her all the time but drive mostly highway and get 19.3-19.4 depending on if I need to drive faster to get to work or not.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

I know exactly, I filled up yesterday and averaged a whopping 12 mpgs, but then again I didn't buy the car for good gas millage and my old car got 5 in the city so it's really not that bad to me
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm mostly just giving you a hard time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Shift 2-3-6 for best MPG
Now that's crazy talk. There IS a limit.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i know
Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha I won't drive that way but when it snows. The few times I have tried to get "good" mpg I did that though.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #103
Registered Member

Regular

Their city and highway are perfect scenario. You should always expect to get less than sticker. A few years back there were lawsuits over the same thing. If they say 15 I always deduct 3. If they say 25, I deduct 5.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

I must have a freak engine cause when got mine. I'd get roughly 25 mpg going 75-80 that's on a 5 hour trip mostly interstate. That's with the windows down no ac or heat going, six speed, 275/40/19 rear tires and 3.73 gears. Now I have a tune, no cats, and 285/35/20 and get almost 21 mpg on long trips.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Ok, i have a 13 5.0 with 3.73's and 6 speed. No matter how i drive i cant get the advertised mpg's. even by driving on the highway at 70 for atleast 30 minutes. I get 14 mpg's all the time. I dont get it. I will drive like an old lady thru an entire tank and still get 14 mpg's.

I have the gas monitor in track apps set to 10 minutes also. I have also set it to 30 minutes as well and nothing changes. Why am i getting horrible mpg's. when i fill up it says i have 194 till empty and other times 200 and only once it said 240 till empty.

I should get atleast 20 on the hwy. this is really irritating me and need answers. Ive searched the web and i cant find anything related to my mpg crisis.
I only get 17 highway and 14 city so don't worry your not alone.... Try to use 6th as much as possable

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT