Mpg question, this is really pissing me off too, help me - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #106
cmd
Registered Member
Regular
 
cmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
I am getting about 24 mpg in mixed traffic, more highway. That is on reg gas
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd View Post
I am getting about 24 mpg in mixed traffic, more highway. That is on reg gas
reg gas? You sir are crazy.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #108
Registered Member

Regular
 
Ubnbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tazewell
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

reg gas? You sir are crazy.
Bahahahahahahahahha. I read that twice to make sure you called him crazy.
__________________
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular
 
BUSHGUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I drove mine everyday like I stole it with 3.73 gears and with city driving I was averaging 16. That was with a bama race tune and revving it at lights all the time. I still rev her all the time but drive mostly highway and get 19.3-19.4 depending on if I need to drive faster to get to work or not.
Now your just rubbing it in. Dam. Insult to injury. Lol. Its all good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
I only get 17 highway and 14 city so don't worry your not alone.... Try to use 6th as much as possable
I do. Today i was cruising along at 800 rpms for just a lil sec. Went back to 5th because i dont want to put too much strain on the motor bogging it down.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular
 
madGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chester County
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by madGT View Post
I picked my 13' up Saturday (3.73 gears) and averaged 13 mpg just joy riding. By the time I got home from work Monday afternoon I was averaging 14.5 mpg due to highway driving and by the time I parked in the parking garage at the office today I was up to 16.0 average. I have about a 50/50 mix of back country roads and highway with 10(ish) minutes of my overall commute being in stop and go traffic.

That being said I used to have a 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 then a 2011 C6 Corvette so if I see 18 mpg in the Stang I'll be happy. The other thing, at least for me, is that I only do the commute a couple times a week - the rest of the week I work from home.
Up to 16.2!!!!!
madGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post

Bahahahahahahahahha. I read that twice to make sure you called him crazy.
Haha with a 11.0:1 compression if you want to ever drive your stang like a stang don't put regular in it!

Haha

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post

Now your just rubbing it in. Dam. Insult to injury. Lol. Its all good though.

I do. Today i was cruising along at 800 rpms for just a lil sec. Went back to 5th because i dont want to put too much strain on the motor bogging it down.
Haha sorry

If it makes you feel better my MPG got worse when I switched gears from 3.31 gears.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Haha with a 11.0:1 compression if you want to ever drive your stang like a stang don't put regular in it!

Haha

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------



Haha sorry

If it makes you feel better my MPG got worse when I switched gears from 3.31 gears.
I'm about to upgrade my gears in the Spring... How significant is the low end bite after the new gears (don't mean to hijack thread)
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I'm about to upgrade my gears in the Spring... How significant is the low end bite after the new gears (don't mean to hijack thread)
big time, isn't even the same car. 100% worth it. WIsh I would have just done it stock.
I was already 93 Bama Race tuned before the gears, changed to the new gears, and reapplyed the same tune with the change for the new gears. Bites hard, driving city allows you to get into 6th at 40 and get amazing mpg compared to the 3.31 gears where I had to sit in 5th at a higher RPM, and highway driving really didn't change that much, maybe 1-1.5mpg.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Here il make this simple in my eyes

Ethir A you care about gas mileage and want a mustang =3.7 liter pony

B you want unessacary power that will make you smile every second and little kids smile = 5.0

Every time I'm driving I don't care about gas mileage I just want to hear engine and see people stare and hell I still get 17 mpg with tune and intake
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Here il make this simple in my eyes

Ethir A you care about gas mileage and want a mustang =3.7 liter pony

B you want unessacary power that will make you smile every second and little kids smile = 5.0

Every time I'm driving I don't care about gas mileage I just want to hear engine and see people stare and hell I still get 17 mpg with tune and intake
If you drive your v6 like its a v8 you won't get even close to the advertised mpg rating
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tominkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 374
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post

The only way to get advertised mpgs is to drive like they want you to. You have to use skip shift, have a 3.31 gear not 3.73, you have to shift at 2k rpm. Stuff like that is what I was told when I took my car in
If you bought the mustang to save gas!! You hoy the wrong car! I'm happy with my 2012 GT 5.0 with the SCT 93 race tune with 3:73 gears, and I'm getting a average of 19.4 mpg. And I get on the throttle pretty hard sometimes!! I have a 63 mile round trip on the hiway and average speed is 75mph. And when I get on the entrance ramp I get on it pretty hard because I love the way Magnaflow comp series pipes sound so bad ***! I'm sure I could get alot better gas mileage but I drive my mustang le it was meant to be drivin!! So either enjoy the car like it was made foror get a different car!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular
 
CPERR2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 92
I know how you drive! That's the problem! LOL. My 13 auto was averaging 20-21 with the 3:15 gear know matter how hard i drove it. I took it on a 2 day trip to the mountains with a local club and stomped all weekend in the hills and could not get the avg. to drop below 20. I now have 3:73 and I am seeing around 19. this is not my daily, so usually when driving it I am getting on it. Circle D 4C going in tomorrow. Should lose another 2 mpg or so. Maybe if I get a blower i could get down to 15! FYI when I fill up it usually says 320-330 to til empty.
CPERR2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 39
I sometimes get down on mine a bit, still getting 23.5mpg. so I dunno?
buschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular
 
BUSHGUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 280
maybe i just need more miles on the car i dunno. but that last tank i drove like an old lady and still averaged 13.2 mpgs. i got on it maybe 4 times. i cant understand why everyone gets different miles till empty when they fill up. i get most the time like 194-204. is this an issue where the ecu adapts to driving habits and calculated off of that?
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #120
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
My previous stang had a tune, 3.73 gears, 295-35-20 tires. I averaged about 14-16 mpg. If it was all highway driving, sometimes I would break 20.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
maybe i just need more miles on the car i dunno. but that last tank i drove like an old lady and still averaged 13.2 mpgs. i got on it maybe 4 times. i cant understand why everyone gets different miles till empty when they fill up. i get most the time like 194-204. is this an issue where the ecu adapts to driving habits and calculated off of that?
I think a lot of these guys with high mpgs are basing it off of resetting the mpg calculator and driving like a granny for like a day or 2... They should try not resetting it for a month or 2 and see what they get... On my 13 Focus I average about 22-23 mpg driving normal
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #122
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pony_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
I have been averaging 23 with 3.7 and 3.31 gears on a 6MT, goes up to 25 in summer. Mostly highway. Any substantial number of stop lights or idling will devastate your mileage. Do you drive in a city a lot? Limit the load on the engine by turning off the compressor and adjusting steering to sport mode.

Had 30mpg avg on an all highway trip from NJ to NH, but that was all idling in 6 gear at 65mph, almost no stops at all, just gas and two tolls.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I think a lot of these guys with high mpgs are basing it off of resetting the mpg calculator and driving like a granny for like a day or 2... They should try not resetting it for a month or 2 and see what they get... On my 13 Focus I average about 22-23 mpg driving normal
I've never reset mine. I guess you would consider my commute driving to be "like a granny"--short-shift at about 2k-3k, skip-shift & pretty much just take it easy. In the traffic I'm in there's no point in racing around. I save that for the track. I still get about 20-ish (and can getup to 30-ish in the 2010 Focus).
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
I have been averaging 23 with 3.7 and 3.31 gears on a 6MT, goes up to 25 in summer. Mostly highway. Any substantial number of stop lights or idling will devastate your mileage. Do you drive in a city a lot? Limit the load on the engine by turning off the compressor and adjusting steering to sport mode.

Had 30mpg avg on an all highway trip from NJ to NH, but that was all idling in 6 gear at 65mph, almost no stops at all, just gas and two tolls.
I guess we have to consider location as well... Here in Jersey it's practically like NY, tons of traffic and lots of bad drivers... Bad combination, which leaves me no desire to DD my Mustang, I take it out on nice days and stick to nice windy roads even if its further... Bought my car to enjoy it
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tominkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 374
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

I think a lot of these guys with high mpgs are basing it off of resetting the mpg calculator and driving like a granny for like a day or 2... They should try not resetting it for a month or 2 and see what they get... On my 13 Focus I average about 22-23 mpg driving normal
I Haven't reset mine in almost 10 months!! And get what showed before
But I do know if you stop at alot of lights. You can sit there and what h your gas mileage drop!!
Also when filling your tank. The mileage till empty depends what your average MPG IS SHOWING AT THE TIME!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular
 
BUSHGUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
I Haven't reset mine in almost 10 months!! And get what showed before
But I do know if you stop at alot of lights. You can sit there and what h your gas mileage drop!!
Also when filling your tank. The mileage till empty depends what your average MPG IS SHOWING AT THE TIME!!!
thanks you. atleast that answers one of my questions

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I guess we have to consider location as well... Here in Jersey it's practically like NY, tons of traffic and lots of bad drivers... Bad combination, which leaves me no desire to DD my Mustang, I take it out on nice days and stick to nice windy roads even if its further... Bought my car to enjoy it
same here in NC. tons of drivers that like to take forever to get up to the posted speed limit and then by the time they do its time to stop for that red light again. then everyone likes to drive next to eachother blocking whoever wants to get around.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular
 
FlGtPrem013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Seminole
Region: Florida
Posts: 76
Also consider how much time you are letting your car warm up. Every morning mine will drop a tenth of a mile per gallon, she will get it back after driving 3-4 miles.
FlGtPrem013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pony_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

I guess we have to consider location as well... Here in Jersey it's practically like NY, tons of traffic and lots of bad drivers... Bad combination, which leaves me no desire to DD my Mustang, I take it out on nice days and stick to nice windy roads even if its further... Bought my car to enjoy it
Very true, it's my only car so I have no choice. But on days I need to drive through Philly I drop three mpg.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular
 
UOP Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 201
My 2013 GT500 gets 53 mpg. See the picture & note speed & rpm. This was with the cruise on.


On the highway for a cross country trip, it averaged 24mpg. For everyday normal driving, I'm getting 18mpg.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3505691610.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	91667
__________________

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Statesboro
Region: Georgia
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow View Post
My 2013 GT500 gets 53 mpg. See the picture & note speed & rpm. This was with the cruise on.

On the highway for a cross country trip, it averaged 24mpg. For everyday normal driving, I'm getting 18mpg.
How do you get 18mpgs with 662 hp? I mean I feel if I had that I would most Likely be in the 5-10 range haha
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow View Post
My 2013 GT500 gets 53 mpg. See the picture & note speed & rpm. This was with the cruise on.


On the highway for a cross country trip, it averaged 24mpg. For everyday normal driving, I'm getting 18mpg.



Attachment 91667
Cruise on going down a slight to steep hill haha
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #132
cmd
Registered Member
Regular
 
cmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
Haven't reset it n months, getting 24 mpg.
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular
 
UOP Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13

Cruise on going down a slight to steep hill haha
Going down a slight downhill.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1

How do you get 18mpgs with 662 hp? I mean I feel if I had that I would most Likely be in the 5-10 range haha
Most of time shifting around 2K. I think manual say to shift @1500 for optimum mileage.
__________________

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow View Post

Going down a slight downhill.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------



Most of time shifting around 2K. I think manual say to shift @1500 for optimum mileage.
Want to trade cars? I will drive that GT500 like it is meant to be driven everyday!
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular
 
thejohncarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 276
I track mine using math and my average over the life of the car is 20.8 mpg. My best tank has been 25.6 and my worst tank was 17.3.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
V6, but lifetime of car 12k+ miles is 31+ mpg.

I don't understand how one can get under 25 mpg in a 6 unless you don't understand how to shift lol, or stop and go city traffic. When you hit 30 + mph, shift to 6th. If you want to go faster, drop it down. I get to 6 for cruising, need a little power (hill), I go to 5, want to really get going, 3, or if I am doing 24-40, 2 to red and go.

I drive it like I stole it off the line, but I don't cruise at 4k rpms lol
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
V6, but lifetime of car 12k+ miles is 31+ mpg.

I don't understand how one can get under 25 mpg in a 6 unless you don't understand how to shift lol, or stop and go city traffic. When you hit 30 + mph, shift to 6th. If you want to go faster, drop it down. I get to 6 for cruising, need a little power (hill), I go to 5, want to really get going, 3, or if I am doing 24-40, 2 to red and go.

I drive it like I stole it off the line, but I don't cruise at 4k rpms lol
Car bases mpg off last 500 miles. If I remember right.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Car bases mpg off last 500 miles. If I remember right.
I have heard people say this, but I have not read it from a reliable source (Ford, a manual, something like that). If you say this because of my comment, I have tracked every mile I have paid for on the car...which is linked in my signature. I didn't include the tanks that the dealer gave me, because I don't know HOW they filled the tank, to what level, so on- i have a specific method I use each time to keep the results as stable and accurate as possible w/o being crazy about it.. But for all but 3-800 miles, that is my running total. High of 36, lowest was 28 (I believe).
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rynarok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I think a lot of these guys with high mpgs are basing it off of resetting the mpg calculator and driving like a granny for like a day or 2... They should try not resetting it for a month or 2 and see what they get... On my 13 Focus I average about 22-23 mpg driving normal
I, for one, hand calculate at each fill up. Also, Chicago traffic dictates that on most days, I'm not getting a single chance to WOT shift.

+1 for the guys saying that OP should have gotten something else if he's having problems affording his gas. I also agree that conservative driving is essential if you plan on not dropping 50bucks for a tank of premium every 4 days. OP, you might think it's dumb as hell to shift your mustang at 2k, but my wallet tells me otherwise, and I can afford to keep mine.

My skip shifting usually takes me from 2nd, 4th, 6th. Almost no need for 1st with a .373 in normal traffic anyway. As a rule of thumb, once I reach a speed consistent with traffic around me, I drop her into 6th and leave her there unless I need to get somewhere RIGHT NOW. Your 5.0 has enough torque to do it's job at that low of RPM.

OP, I feel bad for you, but realize that your gas problems can be alleviated by learning some conservative and smart driving habits. You don't have to win the dragrace away from each and every light, after all...unless a Challenger or Camaro is lined up next to you (in that case, give 'em hell.)
__________________
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok

I, for one, hand calculate at each fill up. Also, Chicago traffic dictates that on most days, I'm not getting a single chance to WOT shift.

+1 for the guys saying that OP should have gotten something else if he's having problems affording his gas. I also agree that conservative driving is essential if you plan on not dropping 50bucks for a tank of premium every 4 days. OP, you might think it's dumb as hell to shift your mustang at 2k, but my wallet tells me otherwise, and I can afford to keep mine.

My skip shifting usually takes me from 2nd, 4th, 6th. Almost no need for 1st with a .373 in normal traffic anyway. As a rule of thumb, once I reach a speed consistent with traffic around me, I drop her into 6th and leave her there unless I need to get somewhere RIGHT NOW. Your 5.0 has enough torque to do it's job at that low of RPM.

OP, I feel bad for you, but realize that your gas problems can be alleviated by learning some conservative and smart driving habits. You don't have to win the dragrace away from each and every light, after all...unless a Challenger or Camaro is lined up next to you (in that case, give 'em hell.)
Someone on here before said there 5.0 v8 with 3.73 gears COULDN'T hold anything under 40 in sixth gear...made me laugh out loud, when my 3.7 holds 25+ mph with 2.7 gears...I can even accelerate, not as rapidly, but with that big v8, it can handle it no problem. I can even start in 2nd on level ground, so a nice v8 here should have no issue.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:00 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.