Finally solved shifting issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Finally solved shifting issues

This has been a work in progress for a few months now, and I believe I've finally found the correct combination of things to make my shifting problems a thing of the past.

I had issues changing gears, gears not engaging, and with finding the correct gears. To fully disclose, this is my first 6-speed manual car I've owned, though I've owned manuals for many years & learned to drive on a 4-speed manual Mustang. This MT-82 has been particularly difficult to learn and get good with, partially because I only drive it on nicer days, so I have not had thousands of miles to get used to it.

The changes made have made a tremendous difference in the experience though. I've added or done the following

1. Redline Synthetic fluid change.

2. New Shifter

I removed the stock setup and replaced the shifter, bushings, and all the goodies with an MGW setup. Far and above the best money ever spent here, the engineering and quality are 2nd to none.

3. Changed the clutch pedal height/depth.

I bought a clutch pedal extension. Mustang Pedal Extension link to Bondra Performance Engineering I thought this was ridiculous at first and it damaged my pride a bit thinking that maybe I was too short to drive my own car...and causing a few jabs from friends at my expense.
At 5'10", I found myself sitting way too close to the steering wheel so I could get the clutch all the way in while accelerating, making me uncomfortable, not to mention I was kicking the door panels every time I got out. This simple little thing saves all that, and aligns the pedals as they SHOULD be, giving an offset for the pedals that I think they should have had from the factory.

Now when I drive, no issues, the clutch pedal goes all the way down, and I can smoothly & accurately select the next gear.
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

Region: Colorado
Interesting. I just bought my 2011 gt/cs last week and I find the shifter clunky and sometimes hard to find gears. Of course a lot of that is me learning the car, but I've been skulking around the forum for a couple of days to see if this is a common problem. is the shifter you got a short throw?
elco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I like the clunky feel.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ian - that is great info. I've been reading the forum for several months, and read about various shifters. Having driven manual transmission cars and trucks for over 35 years I know how to shift the fears, but have been a little frustrated about the smoothness of some shifts, especially 5-6. Is the MGW shifter that much smoother going into all gears? I like your shift knob too - not real impressed with the stock knob.
The clutch pedal extension is interesting - I'm also 5' 10" and it seems like I'm having to stretch sometimes to depress the clutch fully. Otherwise the car is great.
Daryll
Daryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

I wouldnt mind the clunkiness if it didnt feel like i was breaking something.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elco82 View Post
Interesting. I just bought my 2011 gt/cs last week and I find the shifter clunky and sometimes hard to find gears. Of course a lot of that is me learning the car, but I've been skulking around the forum for a couple of days to see if this is a common problem. is the shifter you got a short throw?
There are about a million threads to read and many have posted great info, I went out, read as much as I could about the subject, and found this to be my perfect setup after digesting all of the information I found, and my own tinkering. This is a short shifter, as many others available from Steeda, Pro 5.0, etc...which are not bad shifters, I just didn't choose to use them, many others on here can and will tell you how great they are. Bottom line, anything is better than the stock shifter and bushing.

The difference I found with MGW was the engineering, and level of replacement. Most shifter upgrades just replace the shifter stalk that plugs into the shifter box, that's only part of the problem with the stock shifter. MGW replaces the stalk, shifter box, in addition to re-engineered massive bushings for the linkage rod, and the bracket that holds it all together tying it into the bottom of the car. The shifter mechanism its self has got great tension feedback from it being spring-loaded. I think that makes it feel a lot more confident when shifting, as it should feel.

All of this in conjunction with the synthetic Redline fluid, I used the following:
Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil
Honestly I didn't see a huge difference at first, but once it had a chance to soak in, I think that's when it really started working better, that and once it warmed up a touch.

The pedal extension I found to be the final part that many didn't mention in posts. It helps tremendously to get your clutch pedal down far enough to not grind or miss gear changes, and get away from the feeling you're doing damage when you shift. There's still a small bit when it's cold, but it quickly goes away once up to temp.
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I find the clutch pedal extension interesting as I am 5'6" and have no trouble getting the clutch depressed. I actually had a harder time depressing the clutch without pulling the seat so far forward I was inches from the steering wheel in my uncles 2004 350Z.

I sit pretty comfortable in this car. More so than I did in the dodge challenger or Chevy Camero.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

I'm 6'6" and i fit more comfortably in this car than the camaro.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

This is more of a preference issue than anything I believe. To each their own, this just happens to work for me.

The stock pedals are nearly equal in the distance from the pedal to the floor/firewall. This is what I didn't like about the setup.

I feel as all three pedals should be staggered in sequence, so the gas should be the closest to the floor on the far right, brake should be in the middle of them, and the clutch should be closest to you. I don't know what the actual spacing is, but if the gas pedal were 1 inch from the floor, than the brake would be 2 inches, and the clutch would be 3 inches away from the floor/firewall.

The brake isn't always going to go to the floor, where the clutch will go further every time. The way it's setup from the factory it just seems like I was straining to get the clutch in far enough every shift, causing some of my shifting problems.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

I searched and read through a ton of threads on the shifters and this looks like it will be my first mod.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well, if that's the case, better call them and get it ordered. Mine took nearly 30 days from the day I ordered it to arrive. They're a small company and machine it all in house, but like all good things, it was well worth the wait. You might get it quicker, but prepare yourself to wait.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #12

Region: Oklahoma
Yea this info is great man, I just got my GT and the shifter is my biggest and most irritating problem. From first to second, 75% of the time I miss second and shift to fourth, and it pisses me off cuz no matter how hard I push it to the left and try to shift to second it goes into fourth. I might be getting this for tax season. I took it to the dealer an they said they changed the bushings on it, and when I got it back same problem was still occurring. Thanks for the info once again.
Boriqua0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boriqua0703 View Post
Yea this info is great man, I just got my GT and the shifter is my biggest and most irritating problem. From first to second, 75% of the time I miss second and shift to fourth, and it pisses me off cuz no matter how hard I push it to the left and try to shift to second it goes into fourth. I might be getting this for tax season. I took it to the dealer an they said they changed the bushings on it, and when I got it back same problem was still occurring. Thanks for the info once again.
That isn't the shifter....

That is the skip shift "feature" that can be disabled by a tune or I think there is a wire that can be removed under the car that will stop it too.

Was put in for fuel economy. The car depending on your rpm will try and force you from 1st to 4th.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've never experience the skip shift feature, but I'm always gouging on it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I've never experience the skip shift feature, but I'm always gouging on it.
I forget exactly but if you shift below 2000 rpms maybe it was it will force you from 1st to 4th. I have had it disabled for just about forever. So forget exactly.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It's combo of speed, RPM, and throttle position I believe. It's actually a pretty narrow window ... but I found that in "normal" city driving, I hit it a lot, and IMO it's dangerous.

I tuned shortly thereafter and that crap is disabled ... but I was just going to unplug it. There is no harm in unplugging it - the message will still show in the info center, but you'll slide into 2nd normally.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
It's combo of speed, RPM, and throttle position I believe. It's actually a pretty narrow window ... but I found that in "normal" city driving, I hit it a lot, and IMO it's dangerous.

I tuned shortly thereafter and that crap is disabled ... but I was just going to unplug it. There is no harm in unplugging it - the message will still show in the info center, but you'll slide into 2nd normally.
Yeah it is dangerous. Few times I had to get going to move out of the way and got stuck in fourth not moving at all.

My understanding was ford removed it on the 2013?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Good info and write-up IanM!

The New Edge body style Mustangs are the same way. I sit too close to the steering wheel in mine too.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've never hit it in my 13, I'm guessing it was removed.....
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You'll know if you do, it's really annoying to go from 1 to 4 when you expect a 1 to 2 shift.

Mine still has that, I need to turn it off, but normally I just get on it and it doesn't happen If I wanted an automatic I would have bought one.. I get that Ford wants to give us good fuel economy, though if that was my main concern i'd have probably bought a more fuel efficient car, right?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Ya ford removed it in the 13's! Excellent choice in my opinion. If I wanted to drive economical I would have bought a car with a 4 banger lol.
Nichg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My shifter issues fixed themselves overnight. Literally. It drove so butter smooth today I swear someone switched the shifter on me. Never ever was that flawless on a trip. Oh well, there is always tomorrow for it to start acting up again.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I really like my clutch pedal extension. I am 6 foot and was not happy with the angle of my foot on the gas and brake to get to the clutch correctly. My knee was also into the ignition key a lot. Just tough to find a good everyday seating position. The extension helped a great deal. My seat stays in one place now and my right foot is happier, and I am not bumping the key either. And the energy suspension shifter bracket poly bushing and new trans fluid helped with my shifting....
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
There is a TSB on the manual transmission of the v6 mt82 trans . I'm sure it's on the v8 also . Lots of people have been having trouble finding reverse and 1st and 2nd . It's due to the fluid they used (to heavy )
I took mine in yesterday and they checked it out and replaced it . Many others have done the same and it fixed the issue. Under warranty . But in my case they said it didn't , and they are replacing my shifter . ..
Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
There is a TSB on the manual transmission of the v6 mt82 trans . I'm sure it's on the v8 also . Lots of people have been having trouble finding reverse and 1st and 2nd . It's due to the fluid they used (to heavy )
I took mine in yesterday and they checked it out and replaced it . Many others have done the same and it fixed the issue. Under warranty . But in my case they said it didn't , and they are replacing my shifter . ..
Do you have a # on the TSB.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I do not i just mentioned it to the ford dealer. But I also pulled it up on a site
Alldatadiy.com I think.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ford results under Recalls & TSBs | AutoMD

I believe it's the first one about the powertrain. Also included all the others as well.

*Actually if you look further there are several powertrain ones about shifting issues including clutch bolts and stuff like that
Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #28

Region: Oklahoma
Well I'm glad I know that now but still annoys the crap out of me
Boriqua0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Just installed my MGW shifter yesterday and went on a 100 mile trip. Defiantly stiffer and shorter than stock. I was expecting the shifter o make going into gears smoother and easier than stock but instead, I have to give a more push and it feels like I'm hurting the gears. Is this how it is supposed to feel like?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride
Just installed my MGW shifter yesterday and went on a 100 mile trip. Defiantly stiffer and shorter than stock. I was expecting the shifter o make going into gears smoother and easier than stock but instead, I have to give a more push and it feels like I'm hurting the gears. Is this how it is supposed to feel like?
Thank you, you just saved me $400. I'll be buying the bracket and see if that solves the problem, I love the feel of the stock shifter.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
It's supposed to take more effort to ensure positive gear changes and fewer missed shifts. I love the heavy mechanical feel of the MGW. You actually know your shifting and are 100% confident in what gear your shifting to. Your not hurting the gears, things will loosen up slightly. By far the most quality engineered shifter on the market. You'll fall in love with it or you'll have no problem reselling it. Good luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Just put my pedal extension in yesterday and with the MGW paired with it it has become so much more fun to drive. FYI, my heat gun saved my fingers lol.
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine View Post
Just put my pedal extension in yesterday and with the MGW paired with it it has become so much more fun to drive. FYI, my heat gun saved my fingers lol.
Can you elaborate on what the benefits of the extension are?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

Can you elaborate on what the benefits of the extension are?
Well for me I was having to sit so close to the steering wheel to get the clutch to the floor that my knees would hit the dash getting in and out and I felt cramped. This allows you to sit exponentially farther back but still have the guaranteed clutch engagement when hammering through the gears. All in all what the MGW and extender do for ME is the guarantee that ill never miss a gear no matter how hard I'm hammering through the gear.

Not to mention sitting that close to the airbag can have it's consequences as well that are worth the 50 bucks to prevent.
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine View Post
Well for me I was having to sit so close to the steering wheel to get the clutch to the floor that my knees would hit the dash getting in and out and I felt cramped. This allows you to sit exponentially farther back but still have the guaranteed clutch engagement when hammering through the gears. All in all what the MGW and extender do for ME is the guarantee that ill never miss a gear no matter how hard I'm hammering through the gear.

Not to mention sitting that close to the airbag can have it's consequences as well that are worth the 50 bucks to prevent.
Ah. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to get one. I sit kind of close but mostly by choice even though I'm 6'1". I did it once so someone could squeeze in the seat behind me and then just got used to it and find it comfortable minus my knees hitting the keys. Haven't really thought about an airbag breaking my face til now haha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT