Constant clunk in front end suspension - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Constant clunk in front end suspension

I just recently started hearing and feeling a clunk at low speeds from my front right suspension. It gets faster with acceleration and is not alway present. What could this be? I have a service appt tomorrow, but I wanted some opinions here. I can feel it in the floor boards. It's the worst around 10-15 mph and on uneven roads. Thoughts?
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Are you lowered?
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Nope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I had the same problem with my 2012 5,0. It turned out to be a bad LCR.on passenger side. Bad bushings in them!! Ford told me that the had a bunch of bad LCR's come in when building the cars!! Took a while to find what it was until the used a scope on it!! They replaced it and no more problems! Seems like they had a recall on that part!! Take it in to the dealer, and they'll take care of it!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
I had the same problem with my 2012 5,0. It turned out to be a bad LCR.on passenger side. Bad bushings in them!! Ford told me that the had a bunch of bad LCR's come in when building the cars!! Took a while to find what it was until the used a scope on it!! They replaced it and no more problems! Seems like they had a recall on that part!! Take it in to the dealer, and they'll take care of it!!!
What is a LCR ?
jrny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrny99 View Post

What is a LCR ?
Wondering myself.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Road Trip!

It's so f-ing annoying. I hope they can fix it fast.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Sorry should be LCA... Lower control arm !!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Could be sway bar end links
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Road Trip!

I hope it's an easy fix.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Dropped it off today and they couldn't diagnose where it was coming from. I am being set up with a rental in the meantime. They ruled out the obvious things like sway bar end links ect... They are however replacing my uca's at the same time for me so everything is good so far.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Update: so they called me today and said they didn't hear the noise, when they clearly heard it yesterday. They also tried to tell me that I had no catalytic converters and tried to say my progressive auto insurance thing plugged into my CPU was a chip...,WTF!!! And they are trying to say that my progressive insurance "chip" will void my warranty. If they unplugged the insurance thing, I'll lose my 30 percent discount, and I'm going to be pissed.

What is wrong with people : /
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Update: so they called me today and said they didn't hear the noise, when they clearly heard it yesterday. They also tried to tell me that I had no catalytic converters and tried to say my progressive auto insurance thing plugged into my CPU was a chip...,WTF!!! And they are trying to say that my progressive insurance "chip" will void my warranty. If they unplugged the insurance thing, I'll lose my 30 percent discount, and I'm going to be pissed.

I had the same issue with mine back in june. It was a popping at low speeds, so I took it to the dealer to have them fix it and they said they couldnt here a noise. I took a service tech for a test drive and sure enough it was making the same noise. Turns out it was some bushings on the lower control arms, they replaced both sides back in june. Now im taking it back in today for the same noise!!
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Time for a different dealer haha. Though I don't get how you have a car like this and have that monitor on it. Can't be nearly as much fun to drive since they'll watch everything.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Time for a different dealer haha. Though I don't get how you have a car like this and have that monitor on it. Can't be nearly as much fun to drive since they'll watch everything.
It's for my wife. I don't get a discount on mine, but we both need to be tracked. She gets a full 30 on hers. My car gets a 10 percent discount.

I'm beyond mad with these people. Even if the car was tuned and doesn't have cats, what would that have to do with suspension? But like I said, none of that is true, so it bugs me that they just assumed my car was tuned and catless, didn't even bother to check. I can't wait to talk to them in person tomorrow...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's for my wife. I don't get a discount on mine, but we both need to be tracked. She gets a full 30 on hers. My car gets a 10 percent discount.

I'm beyond mad with these people. Even if the car was tuned and doesn't have cats, what would that have to do with suspension? But like I said, none of that is true, so it bugs me that they just assumed my car was tuned and catless, didn't even bother to check. I can't wait to talk to them in person tomorrow...
Well the fact taking off the cats is "technically" illegal, if they work on the car and then you were to be EPA tested and fail they "can" get a nasty fine for it along with having to themselves make your car compliant since they last worked on it. Fines for no cats are like up to 10K for a dealership/shop and 3-5K for the person driving the car.

Not trying to start that argument but that is how stupid the EPA stuff is.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Yeah I get that. Update...they called and said they must have got my car confused for another mustang that didn't have cats...hmm I don't trust these guys.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Well the fact taking off the cats is "technically" illegal, if they work on the car and then you were to be EPA tested and fail they "can" get a nasty fine for it along with having to themselves make your car compliant since they last worked on it. Fines for no cats are like up to 10K for a dealership/shop and 3-5K for the person driving the car.

The only way they can fine a dealer, is if they removed the cats themselves.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think you started an argument lol... I kid I kid
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
Road Trip!

So I test drove it with a tech and now they feel what I'm talking about after they apologized about saying I have no cats and a "progressive insurance tune". I just feel they're going to blame it on my rtr spoiler or some other aftermarket part I have lol. I will never take my car to these guys again.

I can see it now...oh well um sir...the rtr spoiler directs air differently and caused your ball joints to fail.

This is my 8th and possibly last ford I buy. I know things always seem greener on the other side, but The ZL1 is looking pretty good in stock form right now.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I test drove it with a tech and now they feel what I'm talking about after they apologized about saying I have no cats and a "progressive insurance tune". I just feel they're going to blame it on my rtr spoiler or some other aftermarket part I have lol. I will never take my car to these guys again.

I can see it now...oh well um sir...the rtr spoiler directs air differently and caused your ball joints to fail.

This is my 8th and possibly last ford I buy. I know things always seem greener on the other side, but The ZL1 is looking pretty good in stock form right now.
have you driven a camero? I don't think you'll want one after you do, plus the ZL1 is supposed to have some pretty bad drone stock, and be a pain in the shifter department to drive smoothly if you want to drive slow, like in daily traffic. I never drove the ZL1 but the Camero SS was just pitiful when I drove it.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but still say, time to go to a different ford dealership. Even if you need to read reviews on them. I have a dealership like yours out where I used to work, was ready to buy a car from them until they started treating me the way they did. I now have two dealerships I can go to and trust. A small family owned dealership I purchased my car from, and a dealership where the service department is now being run by a friends brother.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

have you driven a camero? I don't think you'll want one after you do, plus the ZL1 is supposed to have some pretty bad drone stock, and be a pain in the shifter department to drive smoothly if you want to drive slow, like in daily traffic. I never drove the ZL1 but the Camero SS was just pitiful when I drove it.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but still say, time to go to a different ford dealership. Even if you need to read reviews on them. I have a dealership like yours out where I used to work, was ready to buy a car from them until they started treating me the way they did. I now have two dealerships I can go to and trust. A small family owned dealership I purchased my car from, and a dealership where the service department is now being run by a friends brother.
Ive rode in a new ss that had a tune and full exhaust that was suppose to be a "bad boy" I was not impressed at all. My stock 5.0 felt faster, hell even my wife thought it was weak lol. Ive been lookin on youtube watching the zl1 do some 1/4 passes and havent seen one run under a 13. I know thats not a reliable source though
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Im not counting the car and driver reviews or anything like that. Just average people
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

True...I'm just venting. I'll probably just try another dealer. I have never driven a Camero, and your right, I might not like them. Maybe it's just this dealer, but they gave me an extremely bad feeling.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True...I'm just venting. I'll probably just try another dealer. I have never driven a Camero, and your right, I might not like them. Maybe it's just this dealer, but they gave me an extremely bad feeling.
yeah time to try another dealer. They are all not out to get you. I've seen bad dealers from all different car brands, and sadly they are hurting those names.

Years ago a Ford dealer that we went too, which then went out of buisness a few years later, did everything in their power to take care of my mom and her car. She had a really old windstar my parents purchased new when I was young, that car went through 2 engine rebuilds and 2 engine swaps within 6 months, and they gave us one heck of a loaner car, far better than the windstar, for the time we didn't have the car at no charge to us.

for the story below, I was 22 at the time, and I look really young and most people think I am 15-16.

When I purchased my car I asked around for who the dealer was that was like them, all about customer service, and found them. The dealership I didn't buy from, I walked in, had to find a sales guy, and tell him what I wanted, he didn't seem interested to help me, so I said no thanks and left. I went to the other dealership, had a guy walking out and talking to me before I even made it in the building, he made a photo copy of my I.D. and I was in a 5.0 by myself test driving within 5 mins. I took a 15 min test drive, decided I had to have the car, drove back, talked with him, he walked me through everything, and the owner, my salesman, and the finance manager all stayed late on a saturday to help me with finishing buying the car. I probably could have shopped around more, but same reason I always buy from AM even if they do seem a little more expensive, the customer service was perfect. I was treated like an adult the entire time, and I was impressed by that. Even with things I wasn't sure about, they were explained to me in a fashion that didn't make me feel talked down too.

Funny thing was, first dealership I went too, I parked right out front in my 2007 Toyota Tundra which wasn't a cheap truck at the time, second dealership I parked away from and walked over too from another parking lot, and they didn't even see I was driving an expensive truck, and they still treated me like an adult, and valued me as a customer.

I have only been back to that other ford once, and it was to park my mustang out front, walk in while they were busy, and walk up to the salesman who didn't seem to care to help me. I pointed out to my mustang and said infront of other people, "sir, I would like you to know I went to another dealership that cared to treat me like a person, and I purchased that car from them, had you done the same, you would have been a little richer today, maybe next time you won't judge a book by its cover."

When I walked outside, I had a few of the people follow me out to ask what dealership I went too, and I told them, and they left pretty much immediately to go to that dealer. Some people might hate me for that, but I hate nothing more than being judged when I go to buy something. I worked in retail 5 years before my current job, and I was so successful because I never judged anyone, I treated everyone the same, as a real people.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have three dealers that are 'local' to me. The only one I will go to is the one that's literally on the other side of the county. The 2 closest to me are Tidelands and Beach Ford. Beach Ford has a pretty nasty rep for being slimy and Tidelands' Service Manager is the biggest jerk I've ever met in the car industry. Before I bought my car, the previous owner had blown the engine and had it replaced under warranty. I didn't know this when I took possession. I didn't even get the car home from Addy's Harbor Dodge before it started being problematic. I scheduled an appointment with Tidelands, took it to them and they called back later saying that they refused to touch it, per the Service Manager. He said that the only people who would work on it were the folks who did the install of the new engine, Mike Richenbach all the way in Florence, SC. Took it to them and they fixed it. But then I developed a new problem with an o2 sensor and decided to chance it with Conway Ford. They were happy to help, regardless of who dropped the new engine. Been going there ever since.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Heads up...chevy makes a poor product too. I had a 95 chev 2500 diesel and the driver's seat back (the metal frame inside the seat) broke 3 times before 30K miles, the tranny wouldn't shift out of 2nd @ less than 500 miles until they used a dremel to open the shift body ridiculously large (which cost me 3mpg), the driver's side inner door handle fell off in my hand while hunting 30 miles from pavement, the alternator died twice, the fuel injection pump died twice...which made me pissed enough to buy a dodge 1 ton the next day.
The dodge tranny died at 55K, the alternator died twice, the sunroof drains plugged on the drivers front which makes the water leak into the truck and drip out of the driver's assist post.
The new Mustang GT/CS is so poorly made that I sprayed bed liner on the inside of the trunk area and installed Dynamat over it, and am currently spraying bed liner on the inner fender wells.
Flip a coin and pick your poison.
Dan
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

yeah time to try another dealer. They are all not out to get you. I've seen bad dealers from all different car brands, and sadly they are hurting those names.

Years ago a Ford dealer that we went too, which then went out of buisness a few years later, did everything in their power to take care of my mom and her car. She had a really old windstar my parents purchased new when I was young, that car went through 2 engine rebuilds and 2 engine swaps within 6 months, and they gave us one heck of a loaner car, far better than the windstar, for the time we didn't have the car at no charge to us.

for the story below, I was 22 at the time, and I look really young and most people think I am 15-16.

When I purchased my car I asked around for who the dealer was that was like them, all about customer service, and found them. The dealership I didn't buy from, I walked in, had to find a sales guy, and tell him what I wanted, he didn't seem interested to help me, so I said no thanks and left. I went to the other dealership, had a guy walking out and talking to me before I even made it in the building, he made a photo copy of my I.D. and I was in a 5.0 by myself test driving within 5 mins. I took a 15 min test drive, decided I had to have the car, drove back, talked with him, he walked me through everything, and the owner, my salesman, and the finance manager all stayed late on a saturday to help me with finishing buying the car. I probably could have shopped around more, but same reason I always buy from AM even if they do seem a little more expensive, the customer service was perfect. I was treated like an adult the entire time, and I was impressed by that. Even with things I wasn't sure about, they were explained to me in a fashion that didn't make me feel talked down too.

Funny thing was, first dealership I went too, I parked right out front in my 2007 Toyota Tundra which wasn't a cheap truck at the time, second dealership I parked away from and walked over too from another parking lot, and they didn't even see I was driving an expensive truck, and they still treated me like an adult, and valued me as a customer.

I have only been back to that other ford once, and it was to park my mustang out front, walk in while they were busy, and walk up to the salesman who didn't seem to care to help me. I pointed out to my mustang and said infront of other people, "sir, I would like you to know I went to another dealership that cared to treat me like a person, and I purchased that car from them, had you done the same, you would have been a little richer today, maybe next time you won't judge a book by its cover."

When I walked outside, I had a few of the people follow me out to ask what dealership I went too, and I told them, and they left pretty much immediately to go to that dealer. Some people might hate me for that, but I hate nothing more than being judged when I go to buy something. I worked in retail 5 years before my current job, and I was so successful because I never judged anyone, I treated everyone the same, as a real people.
^ Amen!!!! That's exactly how I am! I've worked in both big, and small retail. I would take the time to talk to every customer regardless of their age.

That's one reason I left a big box store, it was less about helping the customers, and more about keeping things "pretty." I got told, it's self service, don't help the customer unless they ask.

My motto is, if I can't help you, I'll find someone that can. I've said that in interviews, and the interviewers eyes just about pop out of their head.

That's like this Ford dealer if they blame it on something else then find a different one. I can't stand that.

Time to find a different dealership. A spoiler shouldn't have anything to do with this problem. If its clunking especially when you go over bumps or bad roads it could be a ball joint. In which case they'll replace the LCA.

I've had bad experiences with GM dealers and Chrysler dealers. It's all about who runs them.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

^ Amen!!!! That's exactly how I am! I've worked in both big, and small retail. I would take the time to talk to every customer regardless of their age.

That's one reason I left a big box store, it was less about helping the customers, and more about keeping things "pretty." I got told, it's self service, don't help the customer unless they ask.

My motto is, if I can't help you, I'll find someone that can. I've said that in interviews, and the interviewers eyes just about pop out of their head.

That's like this Ford dealer if they blame it on something else then find a different one. I can't stand that.

Time to find a different dealership. A spoiler shouldn't have anything to do with this problem. If its clunking especially when you go over bumps or bad roads it could be a ball joint. In which case they'll replace the LCA.

I've had bad experiences with GM dealers and Chrysler dealers. It's all about who runs them.
It sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Slight hum at high speed. Low speed gives a knock in floor board.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT