2013 & Roush cold air - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2013 & Roush cold air

I wanna install a Roush cold air on my 2013 GT and I asked the associate if the louvers on the hood would let water into the intake, he replied saying that that would be a problem but that he has heard about people being able to mod around it. Does anyone know a way that I could get away from this problem?
Here's the link to the intake:
Mustang Cold Air Intake Kit (2010-2012)
jkattchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You could fabricate some sort of cover to go over it. That intake hooks into the factory snorkel so it would still have a supply of cold air.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
factory snorkel so it would still have a supply of cold air.
What is a/the snorkel?
and i would imagine under normal driving circumstances the water would just flow over them, but i am still worried cause i live in houston so i have to deal w/ standing traffic and the unpredictability of texas weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The box the air filter sits in hooks into the "snorkel" that fed the factory cold air intake. Not all of them do, as I understand it. It essentially pipes in air from behind the grille into the airbox.

Keep in mind that you'll get no real performance benefit from that intake ... my car came new from the dealer with one installed, and I replaced it with a Steeda and a tune.

If you just don't want to tune now, there are other options that have inserts that make them "no tune" intakes, but you can take the insert out later if you decide you want to tune. I think Airaid has that option.

Don't paint yourself into a corner.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Na I really just wanna do it for the sound, ive read good reviews for it too.
but really its just something for me to do while waiting to get the money to do a complete RS3 upgrade which im going to do in about 4 years, possibly when my warranty is out.
2013 ROUSH Stage 3 Mustang

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

the RS3 has a supercharger upgrade and its got a completely different intake sys that is adapted by Roush for the louvers.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It did have a decent sound ... but the Steeda was night and day in regards to sound. I could not hear the Roush inside the car (I have my sound tube deleted though) but the Steeda I can here inside the car and over the sound of Roush axle-backs and Boss 302 sides.

But, I didn't have any issues with the Roush intake - it did what it did just fine, and it fit perfectly.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yea Im just gonna wait till i have the money to do the RS3 cause that includes the axle-backs.
the only stuff im doing now is the Cold air and ive got a roush black cueball shifter on order.
Mustang Shift Knob Shifter, 6 Speed Black (2011-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My car was a "dealer created Roush package" and it also included the Black shifter ball and replacement boot. I installed a Barton shifter and bracket and the Roush ball and boot worked fine with it.

Don't skip a shifter upgrade ... IMO aside from a tune and exhaust it's the other thing that really transforms the car, and I do not recall anyone denied warranty service for a shifter.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Its a looks thing for me in this case, if the dealer doesnt like it i can just unscrew the ball and put the original shifter back on.
Im not doing anything serious w/ the car so i dont need a short throw or a 3.73 diff. Really the only aftermarket would be the RS3 and then from there the phase 2 upgrade on the charger and then i would be done, so im not worried about the shifts or the x-pipe
BTW how many mufflers are on the actual 5.0 gt, besides the cats?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
IMO
Whats IMO also?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Don't get the roush. Such a waste of money. I'm getting rid of mine for the steeda here at some point. Wish I had never got it.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkattchee View Post
Its a looks thing for me in this case, if the dealer doesnt like it i can just unscrew the ball and put the original shifter back on.
Im not doing anything serious w/ the car so i dont need a short throw or a 3.73 diff. Really the only aftermarket would be the RS3 and then from there the phase 2 upgrade on the charger and then i would be done, so im not worried about the shifts or the x-pipe
BTW how many mufflers are on the actual 5.0 gt, besides the cats?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Whats IMO also?
Internet-speak for "in my opinion"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT