2013 Burned out Fog Lamp!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Just because the dealership price gouges them doesn't mean anyone will pay $1500 for a used grille. People who pay stealership pricing rarely have the insight into the true market value of the part, and generally lack the skill to install it themselves. Obviously, warranty repair is a totally different story, but if they would have told me to PAY $700 I would have walked out and found an aftermarket solution (probably a fog lamp delete like I did on mine anyways for better airflow and a cleaner looking front).
I know you mean I would do the same but either way I hope I don't have that problem when I get mine
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
I know you mean I would do the same but either way I hope I don't have that problem when I get mine
Here's to hoping ... sometimes packing a car full of high tech **** isn't always a good thing. I think ford should have left the HIDs and LEDs to the people who know what they're doing (BMW/Lexus/MB/Audi) and worried about what they're good at, cheap speed. There's at least $10,000 of **** in my Mustang I don't need and would have gladly done without to save money for mods, or consumables such as brakes, tires, fluids.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I took a very close look (with my reading glasses this time) at the '13 GT Fog Lamp in question and I must say that it seems like a very intricate printed circuit board behind the LED, Lens and reflector housing. I don't know if it is worth the $700 quoted to me or what it even costs Ford for this LED light kit, but it sure looks kind of expensive when you get up close and personal. It sure isn't your typical filament in a gas bulb setup, that's for sure.
My only gripe and or question is that these LED's today are supposed to last for 10's of of thousand of hours and resist vibrations and shocks etc. I have quite a few fairly expensive LED flashlights of very high output of the lastest LED designs and I am totally impressed with the light output and the fact that they take a beating and never burn out. Whatever, I'm still waiting for the call that the fog lamp is at the dealer and I can have my car whole again. It's been one full week already.
I know, NOSYMPATHY, My posts are absurdly Loooooong! Sorry! Just trying to give most of the details and then some... Hey, I'm out of work nursing my knee after surgery and I'm bored.
See Yea,
Greg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

I complained about how long your posts are?!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Now I feel bad that I used the wrong name and never should have even mentioned a name or even brought up such a meaningless subject in the first place. I really must be bored. Maybe I should keep my posts short, so I don't say too much and feel like and idiot later.
My apologies to you and please try to forget that last post even exists.
See, now I will lose sleep over this minor blunder on my part.
Enjoy the rest of your night and thank you all for all your inputs and advice which truly helps me make decisions about my car and steers me in the right direction when I can talk to other people who understand and love our stangs.
I appreciate this forum and the discussions we share and I will shut the up now and start with a fresh slate next time. Hopefully with both fog lamps operating.
To all a good night...
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Haha don't worry about it man. I was just like I did? Doesn't bother me any. Your fine with what you post far as I am concerned!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg3 View Post
My only gripe and or question is that these LED's today are supposed to last for 10's of of thousand of hours and resist vibrations and shocks etc. I have quite a few fairly expensive LED flashlights of very high output of the lastest LED designs and I am totally impressed with the light output and the fact that they take a beating and never burn out. Whatever, I'm still waiting for the call that the fog lamp is at the dealer and I can have my car whole again. It's been one full week already.
Have any cheap ones? I have and they have all mysteriously stopped working after random time periods. With all the corners Ford has been cutting on these cars, do you think they put high-end LED foglights in as a standard feature? I would wager to say those went to the lowest bidder.

Like I said above, they should have left this kind of thing to the big boys...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
LEDs suck balls unless you have alot of them. Good on durability (usually) and low power consumption but, for functional illuminating power in a car lighting application, weak, even hi-powered ones.

I replaced the grill fogs in my 12 which had similarly weak 9145 halogens, with 35 watt HIDs. Now I definitely need to leave them off around town.

see here for the results:

5lho's Library | Photobucket

I also designed a workaround to allow me to keep the fogs on when the highs are on, without any cutting of the factory harness or Smart Junction Box wiring.

Yeah and the installation part of the HID install, including mounting the ballasts and hooking things up, took under an hour, without removing any of the front bodywork.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, I am finally sitting in the ford Service Dept. for my 10am service appointment. I'm writing this as I wait for my 13 GT to have a brand new fog lamp installed. 1 week/4 days from 1st diaganosis, ordering of fog lamp and new service appt.

Here is where it gets interesting! Exactly one hour/ten minutes later the service advisor comes over and tells me that they installed the brand spanking newly ordered fog lamp and it still DOES-NOT work. He apologize for the delay and said they have to work on the wiring and diagnose the problem. He came back 20 minutes later and said it was one of the wires were broken in the harness and they had to Re-Install the original stock fog lamp back and fix the wiring and close everything back up which is going to take a little while. Whewww, I exhausted already. (How come they didn't know it was a bad wire the at the 1st diagnosis. I'm Lost!) He even told me last visit that their was power to the lamp so they ordered a new lamp, etc.

Well' Im still sitting here waiting at 12:30 pm and will let you all know how it went when I get a change to post again. Amazing!!!
OH, I also searched the internet until my eyes were aching and could not find any OEM 2013 GT LED fog lamp or even both lamps that even came near that $700 price quote. Maybe they are only OEM style even though a few sites specificly stated Ford OEM period. I'v been trying to get to the parts guy but these guy here are super busy with customers and on the computers. I will make a call, because this price thing has me baffled as well as everyone else.
I apologize for the lenthy post.
Greg 3
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dude, factory parts are always stupidly expensive for dealers. For example, I had to have a Brembo wheel replaced because of peeling paint and the cost was 900 bucks...for a wheel that FRPP sells in black for $200. That's pretty expensive paint.

Also, had to have my self-destructing MT82 rebuilt. Cost? over 20 hours billed to Ford, a service loaner for a month and thousands in internal parts.

Similarly, a buddy had to replace a standard bean-bag chair in his '90 Mustang LX due to a wiring fault burning it. Factory, non-power seat in 1993? $1200...not even a GT seat. Recaros went in instead.

Wonder why shops use aftermarket and junkyard parts to repair cars?

At least Ford is stepping up and authorizing the fix, WGAF what it costs them?
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

That is one incredibly scary and depressing story 5LHO. Makes me kind of nervous already with only 2 years/2 months left on my warrantee and it will get here fast enough.
I should really think about the EXT Warrantee again before it's to late, even though as I stated before, I got burnt a few times with that. I also heard some horror stories and some success stories where it paid for itself in one breakdown. Like I said before too, I lost count after over $15,000 was thrown into my other 12 year old car in only 5 years time since the second warrantee ran out. That car is now sitting parked for 3 months where it couldn't pass inspection ( about 4 warning light are on, including check engine soon) and now the battery is dead and won't take a battery jump at all. All it does it tick, tick, tick, tic, and the dash and headlight flash, That's it!
We shall see!!
Take Care

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT