2013 Burned out Fog Lamp!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
2013 Burned out Fog Lamp!!

I have the 2013 Mustang GT 6MT with 3600 miles on it. Has anyone had a fog lamp burn out yet. My neighbor informed me that my drivers side fog lamp was out and sure enough it was.
Has Anyone else had this happen and if so did Ford replace it under Warrantee and did they have the lamp in stock or you had to wait for it to be ordered.

I never replaced a fog lamp on my BMW in 13 years, but everything else you could possibly think of has broken down on that money pit. 13 grand in the last two years alone.Think I should sell the pig.

Thank Guys.
Greg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Check the plug/connection behind the grill, that could have come loose. The fog lights on the 13 are LEDs. I don't see how we could replace just the LED. I'm thinking we have to replace the whole thing. Warranty should cover it with that little millage. Let us know what happens.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I also have a 2013 gt prem, the same fog light on mine went out. My dealership replace it at no cost to me. Mine went out at 4500 miles 4 months old at the time. It did take a few days to replace it, they didn't have in stock because mine was the first one that they had seen go out. Repair work took a couple days also, the whole front bumper and grill work had to be taken off. It cost them 1,100.00 nothing to me. That has been the only problem that I've had with my mustang, love my car.
FlGtPrem013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlGtPrem013 View Post
I also have a 2013 gt prem, the same fog light on mine went out. My dealership replace it at no cost to me. Mine went out at 4500 miles 4 months old at the time. It did take a few days to replace it, they didn't have in stock because mine was the first one that they had seen go out. Repair work took a couple days also, the whole front bumper and grill work had to be taken off. It cost them 1,100.00 nothing to me. That has been the only problem that I've had with my mustang, love my car.
I can tell you for a fact that the entire bumper does not need to be removed to replace a fog light. They were just jacking up the labor that they billed to Ford since it was warranty work.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I can tell you for a fact that the entire bumper does not need to be removed to replace a fog light. They were just jacking up the labor that they billed to Ford since it was warranty work.
Ya, that's crazy.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlGtPrem013 View Post
I can take my entire bumper off in 15 mins if that. If I can do it that fast so can ford techs.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I really wasn't sure why it took them 2 half days to do the repair, maybe one of guys had a date and wanted to use my car. Just kidding I hope.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I can take my entire bumper off in 15 mins if that. If I can do it that fast so can ford techs.
Haha you give them too much credit. You'd be surprised how little many ford techs know about cars. There are some really good techs and I mean no disrespect to them, but on the flip side there are just as many, if not more that know very little about cars

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Btw, 15 mins is ridiculously fast, not unbelievable, just incredible

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Haha it is pretty easy once you've done it a few times. First time was longer because when you pry the bumper clips I thought I was gonna break the bumper and hesitated and kept messing with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130115_135711.png
Views:	313
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	85812
Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Haha you give them too much credit. You'd be surprised how little many ford techs know about cars. There are some really good techs and I mean no disrespect to them, but on the flip side there are just as many, if not more that know very little about cars
Techs are like doctors, some of them don't have a clue.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Let us know why your fog light went out, if the techs can tell and the cost.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
It's not bad at all really... Following the steps from LMR I had mine off in 20 minutes on my 1st try
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Is there that much difference in the bumpers on the (11-12) and the 13? I know you can see differences on how they look, but I certainly don't if they bolt up differently.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

It's not bad at all really... Following the steps from LMR I had mine off in 20 minutes on my 1st try
Well you're a body guy anyways, you don't count lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Fog Light malfunction

Hey Mustang owners and fans, Yeah, I will certainly keep in touch with the outcome of the fog light repair and warrantee. I am trying to coincide the service visit with my first 5000 mile service. The service advisor told me last time to absolutely wait for the first 5000 miles before bring her in for the first oil change and service.

The Last time I had a problem, I walked to my car and found my passenger side pony puddle lamp fell out of it socket hanging by its two wires and could not be re-installed do to a tiny broken retainer clip. Obviously to me it was a defective lamp module where the very teeny, tiny and hair thin clip broke off. Could have been cracked or whatever on installation at the factory, who knows. Believe me, the service advisor and tech were out there checking to see if I was in an accident or the mirror was hit. I just paid $42 thousand for a GT. A few months later, parts start falling off . Should I pay for it. I don't know.

They very politely and professionally gave me a hard time at first, but eventually called me on my phone two days later and told me that the part was in and since I purchased the car at their dealership they would honor the warrantee and eat the cost even if Ford reneges on it. The OEM lamp part is $99.00. I first went to the parts dept to price it and then complained to the service dept about it. If it was $30 - $40 bucks, I would have probably sucked it up and just bought the thing and plugged it in and snapped back in place.
What the heck are they talking about! The poorly designed lamp assembly broke and fell out of it's compartment. Warrantee, Fix it Please. Thank You!!

I have one more for you guys. Now that it is cold outside, my center console compartment door does not open when you push the plastic immitation chrome button down. I have to open the cup holder door and pull up on the console door to get it open. I guarantee, they will never duplicate that problem after it's brought into the warm service dept garage. Oh, what the heck! Now I am nitpicking, right!!
Oh, I love my car more than words could describe. Today it killed me, but I had to turn over my keys to a parking garage attendant in Manhattan.

I used their bathroom and upon exiting there was a lady and another customer and the parking attendant walking around and admiring and asking me questions about my car and how beautiful it was. This is a daily occurence. Enjoy your Mustangs Ya'll. I am enjoying mine to the max. My seventh brand new automobile and my all time favorite. I still get goose bumps. It's like having a new puppy dog. You get so much attention and compliments. It never ends no matter where you go.
Now all I need is the girls. Well I guess when they see me, they come to their senses!!!! HA! That wasn't funny, ya'll!!
Long story, I hope it was of interest to some.

Later, Ladies and Gentleman,
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Changed my fog lights in the grill to yellow bulbs in a parking lot where i bought them in 5 minutes... Pop the rad cover off and you have access behind the grill
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Time to go to a different dealership.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
+1

Very hit and miss....

The two dealerships/service departments near me are slimy bastards.

I won't deal with them anymore unless I have to... Do my own services now.

They don't care if you buy a $50k car or 10k car... I tried to explain that as I walked out never to step back in at one of them.

Hope you can find someone that works with you.

What they forget is bad service experiences (warranty or paid work) WILL prevent most reasonable people from dealing with those locations. Not rocket science.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Haha yeah just the front splash guard.. The whole job should take less than 30 minutes.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Yeah no kidding this dealership sounds horrible. I have a list of dealerships that are last on my list to buy a car from based in their service dept.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Burned out Fog Lamp

Geeze, I just finished typing my post and hit a wrong key and deleted everything and must start over (Not the first time, and till this day I have no clue as to what damn key it is, except that it is on the lower portion of the keypad everytime the lights go out, any ideas guys). SO I will make this post shorter.

Finally brought my Black '13 GT 6/mt in for the 5000 mile service and Finally got that burned out driver's side fog lamp looked at.

5000 mile Service (4420 miles at approx. 10 months since taking delivery) - $103 including tax. Oil and filter (They installed the same exact synthetic blend oil that came with the car upon delivery), that multipoint inspection (yeah right), tire rotation, check all fluid levels and top off, tire pressures etc.

Next Up - The burned out Fog lamp was indeed burned out (they have no clue as to why) and IT WAS COVERED under the NEW CAR Basic Warrantee!! Thank You, Thank You, because just the cost of the lamp part alone is $700+ (INSANITY). They are LED's as I asked to make sure. I told the service advisor that 12 years (150 miles) of using my fog lamps continuously on my other car and never lost one. They were halogens.

His reply- well **** happens and good thing it's covered and that's why we don't stock it, because it's a $700 lamp.

Anyway, I didn't forget about my last post, just couldn't put on the miles with working and two cars on the road. The GT does not travel to work with me. Only once, because some of the crew wanted to get a peek. Well, I better hang up now before I hit that key again.

Take care,
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Control +Z will bring back your stuff next time. Your welcome
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

$700 lamp?!? I would understand if it was an HID bulb, it's just a regular halogen lol
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I hear you, this is word for word. I was there 9am this morning for my 5k service and to have them check out and possibly fix or replace the burned out fog lamp. When he said my car was ready and explained that they had to order the fog lamp I kind of made face, because now I have to take more time off from work and make another trip and wait yet again.
He said, hey the good news is that the fog lamp is covered under the basic warrantee and that the lamp alone without any labor was a $700 part and that's why they don't keep it in stock. He mentioned LED, but to look at it, it sure doew look like a halogen doesn't it.
I do remember when going on a million 2013 Mustang GT expert, user, and dealer reviews of the GT before I even ordered the car, I did hear quite a few times that not only were the front running lights LED, but also the fog lamps. Hey I looked at my own car many times and they do for sure look like halogens. I will look into it and repost my findings. I will call the parts dept this week or stop by and price one '13 GT fog lamp and see how much to purchase and I will ask him what the catalog states it is.
Thank guys for you input and sorry for my long winded responses, They are so long I have to constantlly re-log in all the time. Later
Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg3 View Post
I hear you, this is word for word. I was there 9am this morning for my 5k service and to have them check out and possibly fix or replace the burned out fog lamp. When he said my car was ready and explained that they had to order the fog lamp I kind of made face, because now I have to take more time off from work and make another trip and wait yet again.
He said, hey the good news is that the fog lamp is covered under the basic warrantee and that the lamp alone without any labor was a $700 part and that's why they don't keep it in stock. He mentioned LED, but to look at it, it sure doew look like a halogen doesn't it.
I do remember when going on a million 2013 Mustang GT expert, user, and dealer reviews of the GT before I even ordered the car, I did hear quite a few times that not only were the front running lights LED, but also the fog lamps. Hey I looked at my own car many times and they do for sure look like halogens. I will look into it and repost my findings. I will call the parts dept this week or stop by and price one '13 GT fog lamp and see how much to purchase and I will ask him what the catalog states it is.
Thank guys for you input and sorry for my long winded responses, They are so long I have to constantlly re-log in all the time. Later
O I forgot the 13s had LED.... Makes more sense now :-p
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

And to all, A Good Night!!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

O I forgot the 13s had LED.... Makes more sense now :-p
700 dollars tho....sounds wrong.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #29

Region: Michigan
Came across this thread while I was sitting at the dealership for this EXACT same problem. Passenger fog light went out a few days ago and was kinda in and out sporadically, so I decided to bring it in. I was there for about and hour and lo and behold, the tech comes out and does the whole "well....". They have to order up a whole new fog light assembly for me, but it's all under warranty. He said they tested the wiring and had power all the way up until the assembly. Said it would be an all day thing, hopefully does gets wind of some of this warranty work and issues something or at least addresses the issue. Oh well, at least it's getting fixed at no cost to me.
Aleit2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleit2013 View Post
Came across this thread while I was sitting at the dealership for this EXACT same problem. Passenger fog light went out a few days ago and was kinda in and out sporadically, so I decided to bring it in. I was there for about and hour and lo and behold, the tech comes out and does the whole "well....". They have to order up a whole new fog light assembly for me, but it's all under warranty. He said they tested the wiring and had power all the way up until the assembly. Said it would be an all day thing, hopefully does gets wind of some of this warranty work and issues something or at least addresses the issue. Oh well, at least it's getting fixed at no cost to me.
All day thing?!?!?!?!?! I had could have the bumper off my car replace those lights and back on in 45 mins tops.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #31

Quote:

All day thing?!?!?!?!?! I had could have the bumper off my car replace those lights and back on in 45 mins tops.
Dealership, bro. Warranty work is how they make their money..better fords money than mine haha.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Are you serious? $700 that's a lot for just the fog lights.... there's this guy that lives close to me and he's selling his 2013 grill with fog lights for 200 idk if he knows the price of his fogs:0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3364952956.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	95369  
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Are you serious? $700 that's a lot for just the fog lights.... there's this guy that lives close to me and he's selling his 2013 grill with fog lights for 200 idk if he knows the price of his fogs:0
Just because the dealership price gouges them doesn't mean anyone will pay $1500 for a used grille. People who pay stealership pricing rarely have the insight into the true market value of the part, and generally lack the skill to install it themselves. Obviously, warranty repair is a totally different story, but if they would have told me to PAY $700 I would have walked out and found an aftermarket solution (probably a fog lamp delete like I did on mine anyways for better airflow and a cleaner looking front).
Old 03-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Just because the dealership price gouges them doesn't mean anyone will pay $1500 for a used grille. People who pay stealership pricing rarely have the insight into the true market value of the part, and generally lack the skill to install it themselves. Obviously, warranty repair is a totally different story, but if they would have told me to PAY $700 I would have walked out and found an aftermarket solution (probably a fog lamp delete like I did on mine anyways for better airflow and a cleaner looking front).
Yep, if the car wasn't a month old and under warranty, I would have laughed in the dudes face and walked outta there. Only reason I don't care how much it costs is because I'm not paying for it and I don't want to throw any aftermarket stuff on it quite yet, so ill let ford eat the cost of this one.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleit2013 View Post
Yep, if the car wasn't a month old and under warranty, I would have laughed in the dudes face and walked outta there. Only reason I don't care how much it costs is because I'm not paying for it and I don't want to throw any aftermarket stuff on it quite yet, so ill let ford eat the cost of this one.
I hear ya ... I think my warranty was void a month in though. I have a picture somewhere of my car on a lift with 30 day tags still on it LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT