Best intake for 2013 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #36
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your oem intake. If Dyno numbers mean nothing to you I guess you must go by some mysterious proof that nobody knows about. Because time slips for me are bull****. There are even more factors to go wrong there.
I beg to differ, ET Slips will give you a better idea of where you are making power and how that power gets to the ground. And to show what the stock airbox can do:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIB0039.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	752.9 KB
ID:	171469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIB0040.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	822.7 KB
ID:	171470  

DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
I beg to differ, ET Slips will give you a better idea of where you are making power and how that power gets to the ground. And to show what the stock airbox can do:
Is that supposed to be a comparison because there is no documentation that I see showing one thing from the other.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #38
Registered Member

No comparison, both represent what my car has done with stock airbox, and stock exhaust.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I agree that dyno and real world numbers and different, and even from one dyno to the other can be different. A Superflow and Dynojet can be 10/15% difference, depending on the day, temperature and person running it.........just a fact.
My 2800lb drag car put out 642HP @6800 and 544lbft of torque @5700(on an engine dyno), yet it ran 9.801 in the quarter.......doesn't compute just looking at the engine dyno numbers, or does it?
I've been drag racing for over 35 years and have had CAI's on my trucks and cars since they hit the market, and they do make more HP/TQ..........how much depends on the car/truck. I've been using Airaid since them hit the market and there are so many myths flying around that we should have "The Myth Busters" put together a show just for CAI's. The myth about them taking in hot air from the engine bay is just not true...want proof, you put a temperature gauge inside your factory air box and I'll put one in my CAI........then we can compare. As for water getting into the CAI, I live in one of the rainiest states in the country and my car sat outside for over a month waiting for our house to be finished..................not a drop of water..........and I drive it in the rain around town and on the freeway weekly...no water. Maybe mine is different than any other CAI.
On my 97 BBC 1ton dually, after putting a CAI on it I gained almost 3mpg towing my race car, and got almost 18mpg without. On my 08 Hemi Ram after putting a C.A.T/CAI on it I averaged 16.5mpg towing the race car from San Jose, CA to Portland, OR. A total of 1300miles, and could make 23mpg without towing it on California freeways.
Any engine is an air pump, the more you put in, the more you need to get out. Putting a set of headers on the motor is great, but to utilize the benefits of the headers you need to put more air in...............just simple physics.................IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I agree that dyno and real world numbers and different, and even from one dyno to the other can be different. A Superflow and Dynojet can be 10/15% difference, depending on the day, temperature and person running it.........just a fact.
My 2800lb drag car put out 642HP @6800 and 544lbft of torque @5700(on an engine dyno), yet it ran 9.801 in the quarter.......doesn't compute just looking at the engine dyno numbers, or does it?
I've been drag racing for over 35 years and have had CAI's on my trucks and cars since they hit the market, and they do make more HP/TQ..........how much depends on the car/truck. I've been using Airaid since them hit the market and there are so many myths flying around that we should have "The Myth Busters" put together a show just for CAI's. The myth about them taking in hot air from the engine bay is just not true...want proof, you put a temperature gauge inside your factory air box and I'll put one in my CAI........then we can compare. As for water getting into the CAI, I live in one of the rainiest states in the country and my car sat outside for over a month waiting for out house..................not a drop of water..........and I drive it in the rain around town and on the freeway weekly...no water. Maybe mine is different than any other CAI.
On my 97 BBC 1ton dually, after putting a CAI on it I gained almost 3mpg towing my race car, and got almost 18mpg without. On my 08 Hemi Ram after putting a C.A.T/CAI on it I averaged 16.5mpg towing the race car from San Jose, CA to Portland, OR. A total of 1300miles, and could make 23mpg without towing it on California freeways.
Any engine is an air pump, the more you put in, the more you need to let out. Putting a set of headers on the motor is great, but to utilize the benefits of the headers you need to put more air in...............just simple physics.................IMHO
I agree. In my instance if I were to have the numbers still to scan and upload, it was on the same dyno, same day, same everything except the temp had gone up like 6 degrees outside and humidity went up like 1%. That's all hearsay though since that car's gone.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You guys love to race dynos. Whatever.

I along with a few others have done the testing with CAI several years ago only to find out they were no improvements in time slips. That's where you'll see accurate testing. Not on a dyno with the hood open and a giant fan blowing on it.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #42
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post

I along with a few others have done the testing with CAI several years ago only to find out they were no improvements in time slips. That's where you'll see accurate testing. Not on a dyno with the hood open and a giant fan blowing on it.
I like you, do believe in real world testing. When I was first starting to drag race with an NHRA SS/IA car their were maybe a handful of Chassis Dyno's in all of the USA, and even if I could have found one I couldn't have afforded to put my car on it................we used the strip to test
As I stated, I got better mileage with the CAI than without. I also had more torque with the CAI than without, how did I know, from seat of "well tuned butt", it's a finely tuned instrument and has served me well for more years than you've been alive.
I assume you are an accomplished drag racer and are consistent to within a couple of 10thou's, so what you say about testing CAI's must be true in your case. In mine it has not been, so I guess I will agree to disagree.
This coming spring I will take mine to Woodburn Drag Strip, and although I don't have the stock factory box (maybe you'll let me use yours), I'll be more than happy to do the same testing and see if I come up with the same results.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post

Sounds cool. I'll have to try that sometime. Tell me, how do you keep all of the same variables in this equation to have an accurate result? What are the controls? Is it a drag strip inside with the same conditions and a computer controlling all aspects of the race, because no human can do it the same every time, which is why real drag cars are mostly electronics doing most of it.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:41 AM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Sounds cool. I'll have to try that sometime. Tell me, how do you keep all of the same variables in this equation to have an accurate result? What are the controls? Is it a drag strip inside with the same conditions and a computer controlling all aspects of the race, because no human can do it the same every time, which is why real drag cars are mostly electronics doing most of it.
He has a computer controlling his automatic trans and comes off the stall at the same RPM every time so yeah... on the same day in the same weather and letting the engine cool off between runs. Time slips prove everything, waving a dyno slip around is pretty impotent if your car can't get the hell out of its own way. Witness countless GT500 owners making 700+ who can't even run in the 10s.

Its already been proven by multiple ppl at multiple venues and plenty of confirmed info all over this and other forums that a CAI doesn't do anything where it counts. And where it counts is actually making the car go faster. If someone likes it for the bling factor... that's their choice but that's what it is there for, looks.

Also, holy 2 year thread necro.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
He has a computer controlling his automatic trans and comes off the stall at the same RPM every time so yeah... on the same day in the same weather and letting the engine cool off between runs. Time slips prove everything, waving a dyno slip around is pretty impotent if your car can't get the hell out of its own way. Witness countless GT500 owners making 700+ who can't even run in the 10s.

Its already been proven by multiple ppl at multiple venues and plenty of confirmed info all over this and other forums that a CAI doesn't do anything where it counts. And where it counts is actually making the car go faster. If someone likes it for the bling factor... that's their choice but that's what it is there for, looks.

Also, holy 2 year thread necro.
That doesn't cover all variables but agree to disagree I guess. Old thread was brought up stumbling around searches as opposed to creating new threads.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

Obviously there are variables but its way more accurate gauging performance with track time than a dyno. Paper horsepower does not win races.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
The trap speed tells me all I need to know.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

For those guys who are not avid drag racers, the "Trap Speed" is measured in the last 60' of the 1/4 mile and is a fairly good indicator of how much HP you are making assuming you know the weight of your car at the last 60' of the track.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT