Best intake for 2013 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Best intake for 2013

Hey I wanted to know what some of you guys use for a cold air intake on a 2013 gt? Any and all info would be great. I'm thinking about going with the c&l intake for the 2013 gt. let me know what your opinions are.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I don't think I would ever get a cold air intake. It's been proven they don't really do much and are more or less just for looks. I've always used the stock intake and when I get the Tvs 2300 sc I will be sticking to the roush intake.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Stock Box works great for me, I'm not impressed by the plastic aftermarket tubes out there, and I honestly don't see any gains worth the money they ask for them, and they definitely aint worth the money for the looks. I invested in a tune with stock air box, and got the best gains there. If you want one for the looks, then just see which one appeals to you most. Keep in mind that they do get wet after rains through the heat extractors on the hood.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The best CAI is the factory one your car came with.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
I don't think I would ever get a cold air intake. It's been proven they don't really do much and are more or less just for looks. I've always used the stock intake and when I get the Tvs 2300 sc I will be sticking to the roush intake.
For a N/A engine the stock box works great but for a SC it has been proven that the open filter is the winner and adds 1.5 psi. And this apply to centri and twin screw.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

For a N/A engine the stock box works great but for a SC it has been proven that the open filter is the winner and adds 1.5 psi. And this apply to centri and twin screw.
If it was then roush would be putting their own cold air intake instead of their box one
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wow ok well I think I'll stick with the stock box. What should I do for around 400 bucks. I want to add a little more power I have a bama tune also.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712
Wow ok well I think I'll stick with the stock box. What should I do for around 400 bucks. I want to add a little more power I have a bama tune also.
Lower control, an upper control arms, so you can hook up the power you've already got.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Lower control, an upper control arms, so you can hook up the power you've already got.
That's an option. Anything else?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712

Save more money, I assume you already have axle backs. Headers will be my first mod when warranty expires. Aluminum drive shaft will be next.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #11

Region: Texas
But do I have to do a tune if I'm going to use premium? (93 octane)
richgangsta41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgangsta41 View Post
But do I have to do a tune if I'm going to use premium? (93 octane)
You would benefit more from a 93 octane specific tune, ford's calibration is for 91 octane.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I agree. Factory box is fine until you decide to leave normal aspiration.
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo1 View Post
I agree. Factory box is fine until you decide to leave normal aspiration.
Just to add to the augment, and I don't care either way... AM has done runs and have video showing 11 HP gains with just an CAI. No tune. http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-2011gt.html
2013 Green GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Your biggest gains with a CAI will come when working in conjunction with headers. You can suck all the cold air into the engine but the stock manifolds will only restrict the flow out so fast and much. The sound the CAI makes is way sweeter than the stock intake in my opinion.

To further answer the OP's question . Airraid!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 Green GT

Just to add to the augment, and I don't care either way... AM has done runs and have video showing 11 HP gains with just an CAI. No tune. http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-2011gt.html
They also claim 58hp for the boss intake manifold, yet the boss 302 only has 28 more HP.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They also claim 58hp for the boss intake manifold, yet the boss 302 only has 28 more HP.
Could be with a tune you could prob get that. I don't believe the boss has an actual tune.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #18
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
On the 2013, I would keep the stock air box because of the heat extractors in the hood. When it rains, your filter gets wet.

I've got a Steeda CAI with my Boss IM. I just like the way it looks.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post

Could be with a tune you could prob get that. I don't believe the boss has an actual tune.
All cars have a "tune" but the boss does not come with an aftermarket tune (obviously). Even with a tune, 58 hp?! Really! Maybe on a hit humid day with stock tune then putting on aftermarket tune on a nice, 65* day you would see that much gain

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Your biggest gains with a CAI will come when working in conjunction with headers. You can suck all the cold air into the engine but the stock manifolds will only restrict the flow out so fast and much. The sound the CAI makes is way sweeter than the stock intake in my opinion.

To further answer the OP's question . Airraid!
Stock manifolds really are not that restrictive on the coyote, even with LT's CAI won't make much more difference

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

To the OP, I know it's been said over and over, but I'm going to echo it.

Shifter and suspension would be my first choices

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
Hey I wanted to know what some of you guys use for a cold air intake on a 2013 gt? Any and all info would be great. I'm thinking about going with the c&l intake for the 2013 gt. let me know what your opinions are.
Go for the JLT it also comes with a water blocker thing for the hood vents
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
C&L CAI. They were the first to come out with a design specifically for the '13 to solve the water thru the hood vent issue. Quality product, looks great, and I picked up a few ponies over the JLT. The power with the JLT was inconsistent and erratic at times. Bigger isn't always better. I love the steeda cai, but they said the water issues on the '13 wasn't a problem and to my knowledge have yet to commit to a solution. If I had a aftermarket hood or a '11-12 I'd have a Steeda CAI. But I feel the C&L is the best CAI for the '13s. Worth every penny. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-299841601.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	88125  
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
C&L CAI. They were the first to come out with a design specifically for the '13 to solve the water thru the hood vent issue. Quality product, looks great, and I picked up a few ponies over the JLT. The power with the JLT was inconsistent and erratic at times. Bigger isn't always better. I love the steeda cai, but they said the water issues on the '13 wasn't a problem and to my knowledge have yet to commit to a solution. If I had a aftermarket hood or a '11-12 I'd have a Steeda CAI. But I feel the C&L is the best CAI for the '13s. Worth every penny. Good luck
How did they fix the water problem?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
A custom shaped shroud. It goes over the top of the filter element slightly and sits high enough to seal to the underside of the hood in front of the vents. Any water that comes in hits the shroud and rolls off the back.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
For all you guys that say long tubes wont gain much because the coyote already has shortys, but I gotto say I put long tubes on and dyno'd after and gained 19 hp just headers alone and the bbk tb i put on and i havent dyno'd yet but it does add a few hp and the car runs so much smoother with the 85mm
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
I would start there. i did rear LCA's and well worth the money. no hop and it just hooks. you can also get the barton shifter bracket to eliminate the mis shifts.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
this just isnt a true CAI to me. its an SRI. i know there isnt anything else available for these cars but eventually someone will come up with a true CAI design. I just don't see these SRI's worth the money. all its gonna do is suck in the hot air in the engine bay.

for anyone worried about the water issues, there is always a V6 hood you can swap on the 5.0. the V6 hoods dont have vents
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
True dat!
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I disagree with the stick with oem intake statements. Yes, it is the best in terms of reliability, but there are gains to be had with a cai. People disagree with them being a "cold air intake"; that is simply semantics. It's still isolated from the heat somewhat by the shrouds that they come with (some better design than others) and you still have cooler air coming in the front and a freer flowing cone filter to ingest the air. This all provides gains with a tune. To some, it may not be worth the money, but to me if you're trying to get a few extra ponies from your n/a gt, then it's worth a couple hundred bucks. I had an airraid on my last 2013 before I went with the brenspeed 650r setup and it was pretty nice. I may try a C&L on this one due to the shroud design. I just wish the maf section was more professional looking, but hey I will supercharge this one at some point as well, so.....I wish there were more intakes out there that would implement velocity stacks on their setups.

Sorry to bring back an old thread from the dead. I don't post on many 5.0 forums, but I felt I should say something here.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Prove it. Show us back to back time slips showing the gains.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with the opinion that LCA's and shifter are the place to start.

Once I had done those, I installed a Steeda no-tune CAI, so as not to flash the ECU and have any warranty issues.
No noticeable HP gains, very slight improvement in throttle response, huge improvement in the looks department in the engine bay.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jd431x1f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Prove it. Show us back to back time slips showing the gains.
Sorry, don't have them anymore. All dyno printouts went with the last car when I sold it. It's the same concept as any other car. There are Honda guys out there that make the same claims that the oem airbox is supreme for the same reasons. I'm guessing it must be the best conspiracy ever that they can continue making cai's that don't make anything and can stay in business. I doubt I will waste my money proving this case as I've done it before and have no desire to throw my money away. It's up to everyone out there what they want to spend their money on. I'm not saying that lca's aren't a better investment. So are better tires, aluminum driveshaft, shorter gears....there are many better choices, but to say it does nothing isn't true.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Dude should've waited and bought the MGW race spec. Wonder what he bought? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Sorry, don't have them anymore. All dyno printouts went with the last car when I sold it. It's the same concept as any other car. There are Honda guys out there that make the same claims that the oem airbox is supreme for the same reasons. I'm guessing it must be the best conspiracy ever that they can continue making cai's that don't make anything and can stay in business. I doubt I will waste my money proving this case as I've done it before and have no desire to throw my money away. It's up to everyone out there what they want to spend their money on. I'm not saying that lca's aren't a better investment. So are better tires, aluminum driveshaft, shorter gears....there are many better choices, but to say it does nothing isn't true.
Sorry but Dyno numbers are meaningless to me. And it's just as I thought you have no evidence to back up your supposed gains. Come back when you can back it up.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Sorry but Dyno numbers are meaningless to me. And it's just as I thought you have no evidence to back up your supposed gains. Come back when you can back it up.
Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your oem intake. If Dyno numbers mean nothing to you I guess you must go by some mysterious proof that nobody knows about. Because time slips for me are bull****. There are even more factors to go wrong there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT