Is idle relearn necessary? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

mongo1970 is unknown around these parts
Is idle relearn necessary?

Dealer replaced battery under warranty on 2011 gt. Had a dead cell. I asked if they did the idle relearn as stated in owners manual. They said it wasn't necessary because the computer will learn my driving habits over time. There are no drivability issues and it idles normal. Should I do the idle relearn my self or don't worry about it?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

nosympathy is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo1970 View Post
Dealer replaced battery under warranty on 2011 gt. Had a dead cell. I asked if they did the idle relearn as stated in owners manual. They said it wasn't necessary because the computer will learn my driving habits over time. There are no drivability issues and it idles normal. Should I do the idle relearn my self or don't worry about it?
They are not wrong. The car will learn the same thing the idle relearn does over time.

Personally all the times I have tuned my car and never had it idle funny and never done a relearn.

If it is idling fine and driving normal I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

KARgt13 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
They are not wrong. The car will learn the same thing the idle relearn does over time.

Personally all the times I have tuned my car and never had it idle funny and never done a relearn.

If it is idling fine and driving normal I wouldn't worry about it.
+1

Anytime the battery is disconnected it starts the relearn process over. If it was idling funny you could do it again, but since it's normal don't worry about it.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

AMShaneLesky is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo1970 View Post
mongo1970,

If the car is idling and running fine than I wouldn't worry about it. The purpose of the idle relearn sequence is to speed up the learning process by hitting all of the necessary positions/parameters in the PCM. If you do have a drive ability issue because the idle relearn hasn't been preformed immediately, it would eventually go away from just normal driving. Most people don't want to wait to hit all of these positions/parameters in the PCM over a long period time, but as quickly as possible, thus the idle relearn sequence was made.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

mongo1970 is unknown around these parts
Thanks for rhe responses. No idle issues. Drove 250 highway miles and noticed gas mileage was less than previous trips. Averaged 20.9 to destination and went up to 22.8 on trip back, running 80 to 85 mph entire way. Kind of crappy considering I average almost 24 on same trip. Hopefully parameters are being learned.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT