hotchkis x brace vs LS tranny cooling scoop?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
hotchkis x brace vs LS tranny cooling scoop??

Which one of the two would you guys go with. The x brace is to stiffen up the chassis and the scoop is to cool the tranny at the track. I can only install one.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Xbrace. Looks cool, and you can feel it in the twisties. Why would you want the trans cooler? Do you race it a lot?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Xbrace. Looks cool, and you can feel it in the twisties. Why would you want the trans cooler? Do you race it a lot?
Yea and my local tracks are usually in the high 80 and 90 degrees since i live in miami.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I lived in Cocoa Beach for a while and know how hot it is there in Florida year round, i'd go for the transmission cooler/scoop. Have you looked at the BOSS 302 oil cooler? If not, i'd look into that as well, it'll bolt righ on to our GT cars, and is proven to drop oil temps by 20-30 degrees.
Check it out here Ford Racing BOSS 302S Mustang Engine Oil Cooler (11-13 GT) M-6642-MB - Free Shipping!

I just ordered the transmission cooler after a lot of research. Shelby carries one that is very similar to the one made by Ford Racing. They are about the same price, and the Shelby comes unpainted (and rough looking for $50 less) or in blue powdercoat. The difference between them is the Shelby leaves clearance to the oil drain plug to change the oil without having to remove it every time like you would need to with the Ford Racing one.
Shelby Shelby American Transmission Cooler Scoop
Ford Racing http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-t...op-1113gt.html
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
I lived in Cocoa Beach for a while and know how hot it is there in Florida year round, i'd go for the transmission cooler/scoop. Have you looked at the BOSS 302 oil cooler? If not, i'd look into that as well, it'll bolt righ on to our GT cars, and is proven to drop oil temps by 20-30 degrees.
Check it out here Ford Racing BOSS 302S Mustang Engine Oil Cooler (11-13 GT) M-6642-MB - Free Shipping!

I just ordered the transmission cooler after a lot of research. Shelby carries one that is very similar to the one made by Ford Racing. They are about the same price, and the Shelby comes unpainted (and rough looking for $50 less) or in blue powdercoat. The difference between them is the Shelby leaves clearance to the oil drain plug to change the oil without having to remove it every time like you would need to with the Ford Racing one.
Shelby Shelby American Transmission Cooler Scoop
Ford Racing
I have the track pack so it comes with the boss 302 radiator and the oil coolant. I think the oil coolant is a MUST in florida, no matter how hard i drive it the oil temp would stay the same even at the track.

Yea the shelby looks like it is the one to go with..Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I completely agree, that oil cooler is worth its weight in gold and will make the engine last way longer than without it.

Glad to help, just wanted to share my info after spending a lot of time reading and researching, it was the way to go for me. I happened across another forum where someone had run into the clearance issues changing oil with the Ford Racing scoop.
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
I have the track pack so it comes with the boss 302 radiator and the oil coolant. I think the oil coolant is a MUST in florida, no matter how hard i drive it the oil temp would stay the same even at the track.

Yea the shelby looks like it is the one to go with..Thanks!!
I agree going with the trans cooler as your best bet. With 80-90* track days, super high trans temps aren't hard to come by within just a few minutes of racing. The X brace is pretty cool too, we're actually getting the Steeda X brace in shortly, too. Hopefully we'll have a sale available in the near future, so you can get both!

Good luck at the track this season!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post

Yea and my local tracks are usually in the high 80 and 90 degrees since i live in miami.
After seeing this, I agree and would get strand cooler. I thought you had a show car, didn't realize you race so much. The s197 chassis doesnt need nearly as much stiffening as the fox platform

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT