H&R SS Springs and...well...now just confused - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
H&R SS Springs and...well...now just confused

alright, so I am not officially confused.

I currently have a set of H&R SS springs that are going on my car. I have settled I am getting Koni Str.t shocks and struts and BMR panhard bar. Will do the LCA and UCA later.

here is where I am now stuck...I was going to get the GT500 strut mounts, and pick up a set of eibach camber bolts. I had one person say I wouldn't need the eibach camber bolts, but for $25 I figured I had better get them. I then had someone else say I should get CC plates.

googling I cannot find ANYONE posting about a 2011+ mustang with these and what they went with and if it aligned correctly.

So here is where I am at. I can afford to get the MM CC plates. They seemed to be the highest recommended everywhere. Just didn't want to buy them if I didn't need them. I am 100% wanting the car to be aligned properly from the start. My tires still have some life too them, and I don't want to just wear them to hell because I wanted to be cheap.

So, even bumping up and getting the BMR Camber bolts that offer a 2 degree camber adjustment and GT500 strut mounts, would I still be far safer doing Maximum Motorsports CC plates?

Also, which CC plates do I want if I need them, the ones for the 05-10 years since that matches the koni Str.t or the 2011-2013 ones? They are the same price, but which is the correct one too get? I am buying from AM and they are out of stock on the 11-13 but have the 05-10 in stock haha.

I messaged one guy I know has the H&R SS springs but not sure who else does and hoping I can get some answers.

as always, thanks!
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in the same boat as you are, been looking seriously at doing a similar setup with new struts and lowering springs. I'm looking to go 1.0 to 1.5 inches total, nothing too agressive..

From what i've read and seen, if you're going for less than a 1.5 inch drop, you only need the bolts. Anything more than 1.5 inches, you need the CC plates to get it aligned correctly. That being said, once you lower the rear, there are some that say you won't need a new panhard bar or control arms with a less agressive drop, but i've read conflicting information that says you do... Best way to find out I guess is to start ordering parts and find out myself. Let us all know how it goes and what you find out, i'll be sure to do the same as I get into mine.
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
I'm in the same boat as you are, been looking seriously at doing a similar setup with new struts and lowering springs. I'm looking to go 1.0 to 1.5 inches total, nothing too agressive..

From what i've read and seen, if you're going for less than a 1.5 inch drop, you only need the bolts. Anything more than 1.5 inches, you need the CC plates to get it aligned correctly. That being said, once you lower the rear, there are some that say you won't need a new panhard bar or control arms with a less agressive drop, but i've read conflicting information that says you do... Best way to find out I guess is to start ordering parts and find out myself. Let us all know how it goes and what you find out, i'll be sure to do the same as I get into mine.
yeah the SS springs are a 1.7" drop in the front and a 2.4" drop in the rear. I am doing the panhard bar regardless to realign the axle.

If no one can give me a clear answer I am just going to do the CC plates and play it safe. There is another user on here tho I PM'd too who has the same springs, but used Eibach Camber bolts, just not sure if he is aligned correctly, or what else he might have done and not listed.

then again, another user on here I spoke with dropped 1" and didn't use camber bolts or CC plates.

this suspension stuff is so confusing haha.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Typically you can get away with just the camber bolts but not in your case. That's a big drop that will require the plates.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
OP,

You can get away with using the Eibach camber bolts. The alignment will be good enough that you won't notice any weird wear on the tires. However, if you're constantly driving aggressive or even have one hard auto cross track day, the camber bolts sometimes have issues holding position. The biggest benefit of the caster/camber plates is getting a perfect alignment, but also not worrying about them coming lose after hard wear on the suspension.

Also, I would get some solid LCA's, adj UPC's, and LCA relocation brackets as soon as possible. The H&R springs have a big ride height drop and will really affect your suspension's geometry. You'll notice the car will wheel hope easily and traction will be an issue on the street or track, without the upgrades listed above. I just wanted to give you a heads up about this!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
OP,

You can get away with using the Eibach camber bolts. The alignment will be good enough that you won't notice any weird wear on the tires. However, if you're constantly driving aggressive or even have one hard auto cross track day, the camber bolts sometimes have issues holding position. The biggest benefit of the caster/camber plates is getting a perfect alignment, but also not worrying about them coming lose after hard wear on the suspension.

Also, I would get some solid LCA's, adj UPC's, and LCA relocation brackets as soon as possible. The H&R springs have a big ride height drop and will really affect your suspension's geometry. You'll notice the car will wheel hope easily and traction will be an issue on the street or track, without the upgrades listed above. I just wanted to give you a heads up about this!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane
Well that seems to be a fair enough answer. I am not planning on do any tracking yet, but I want too, so might as well do the CC plates then.

As for the other pieces, how bad are you talking? The other guy on here with the SS springs doesn't have them done yet and he speaks highly of the springs. Also I am going to be putting the FRPP Jounce bumpers in for right now, so doesn't sound like it will drop exactly what I said, although I don't know myself.

It would only be a couple months until I get my tax return, then the plan was to buy the LCA, Relo brackets, and such and finish her off. She wouldn't be tracked until that time at all. Just mostly street cruising.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Well that seems to be a fair enough answer. I am not planning on do any tracking yet, but I want too, so might as well do the CC plates then.

As for the other pieces, how bad are you talking? The other guy on here with the SS springs doesn't have them done yet and he speaks highly of the springs. Also I am going to be putting the FRPP Jounce bumpers in for right now, so doesn't sound like it will drop exactly what I said, although I don't know myself.

It would only be a couple months until I get my tax return, then the plan was to buy the LCA, Relo brackets, and such and finish her off. She wouldn't be tracked until that time at all. Just mostly street cruising.
nosympathy,

Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot to come back and check on this thread until now..

The other suspension components I listed are very necessary if you're tracking the car. With just lowering springs, you'll notice it's easy to get more intense wheel hop and acceleration traction in general will be poor (worse than stock). Also, without an adj Panhard bar, the rear axle tends to stick out to one side more than the other. The Panhard bar allows you to center the axle in the proper place again on lowered S197s.

It sounds like your headed in the right direction in a few months, though. The only thing I would add to your list is the adj Panhard bar. Other than that, you'll be very satisfied with the results!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

nosympathy,

Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot to come back and check on this thread until now..

The other suspension components I listed are very necessary if you're tracking the car. With just lowering springs, you'll notice it's easy to get more intense wheel hop and acceleration traction in general will be poor (worse than stock). Also, without an adj Panhard bar, the rear axle tends to stick out to one side more than the other. The Panhard bar allows you to center the axle in the proper place again on lowered S197s.

It sounds like your headed in the right direction in a few months, though. The only thing I would add to your list is the adj Panhard bar. Other than that, you'll be very satisfied with the results!

Shane
Haha thanks for checking in.

I actually ordered from ya'll koni str.t shocks and struts and maximum motorsports caster camber plates and BMR adjustable pan hard bar and FRPP jounce bumpers.

The CC plates are backordered I was told. Everything else apparently came in today. Haven't been home yet to check.

If they are backordered until mid Feb. Like I was told I probably will have the money for the LCA and relocation brackets at least and get those done all at once. Do the UCA soon as I can after.

Thanks for checking back in!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT