Alright, wish me luck, suspension ordered - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Alright, wish me luck, suspension ordered

Alright, for those of you that are curious, I am going to try and keep everything listed here as I feel like I am walking into uncharted territory here.

So I traded another user on here and got a Set of H&R Super Sport springs that claim a 1.7" drop in the front and a 2.4" drop in the back. I just ordered on American Muscle Koni Str.t Shocks and Struts, BMR Panhard bar, FRPP Jounce Bumpers, and Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates for the 2011-2013 models that are currently on backorder and from calling American Muscle they have an expected ship date of 2nd week of Feb.

So here is the deal from what I learned so far as it has been an adventure. The 05-10 CC plates from Maximum motorsports will work with the 2011-2013 Mustangs, but you have to use the spring Isolators from an 05-10 mustang. Couldn't seem to find them, so ordered the CC plates for the 2011-2013 mustangs that are backwards compatible. I will still have to disassemble the stock struts and reuse the isolators, but that won't be a big deal as I am just going to go to Sears and buy a spring compressor as they are not terribly much, and who knows Might get sick of these springs being too low and want to switch them out, what have you.

I will also need to go stop by my local Harbor Freight store and pick up one of their super awesome low profile jacks, as my current jack will get the car up...but might not get it back down...lol.

So I am going to keep this thread up to date once the install happens, I will have before pictures with tape measure showing my stock ride height and then of course after the drop. I am also going to ASAP be buying the BMR LCA and Relo brackets as soon as I have the cash, as I feel that is going to be vital, and then the UCA soon as the money for that comes about.

Feel free to throw in opinions or ask questions, if there is anything you want to know about this feel free to ask, I do feel like I am going into unknown waters here, as I don't see many people on here with this exact setup at all.
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Subs
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130129_205019.png
Views:	183
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	88228

Everything but the CC plates came in! Just like expected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130129_205039.png
Views:	222
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	88229

Would be my luck though. One of the Koni boxes was falling apart and although the strut appears to be fine the nut is gone. Gonna PM the bama reps and if I don't hear anything call them. Glad I guess the CC plates or backordered or I'd be annoyed I couldn't install it tomorrow!
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Sounds good.....don't rush and good luck
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
You'll be very pleased with the konis, too bad you gotta wait to install lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Good Luck,, I just lower my car last weekend and I'm hearing the spring pop when I turn my steering wheel all the way to to left or all the way to the right. The alignment was very good. With the CC plates your waiting on.
racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racksteris View Post
Good Luck,, I just lower my car last weekend and I'm hearing the spring pop when I turn my steering wheel all the way to to left or all the way to the right. The alignment was very good. With the CC plates your waiting on.
How much you lower it?
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
How much you lower it?
Eibach sportline 1.1-1.4" front 1.5-2.0" rear

I think its more than that and the spring is still settling, I will need to get realigned again, I think I will wait a week or 2.
racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I am gonna play it safe and pick up a torque wrench for doing this. I wasn't going to but the CC plates seem like they are going to be really finicky if they are not torqued 100% correctly.

was going to have a local shop just install it since the weather is cold and I want it done ASAP obviously, but they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg because of the CC plates and "how insanely difficult" they are too install. I read the install guide, they look like cake...

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
You'll be very pleased with the konis, too bad you gotta wait to install lol
it is killing me! they are right there! I CAN TOUCH THEM! haha. Gonna be a hard couple weeks. I thought about calling a few places to find someone in stock, but instead if I just wait, the weather will be warmer and I can just do it myself. I am going to go buy a harbor freight jack and jack stands tomorrow or thursday along with a torque wrench to just force myself to do the install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racksteris View Post

uhm, interesting question. Did you buy the 05-10 CC plates or the 11-13 plates? Depending on which you purchased did you reuse the stock isolator for the springs?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Come on already maaaaaan lol
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
nosympathy,

Thanks for sending me a PM and giving me a heads up on the issue. I'm sorry about the condition your box arrived in! I have no problem getting in contact Koni and having a new strut bolt shipped out to you ASAP.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
nosympathy,

Thanks for sending me a PM and giving me a heads up on the issue. I'm sorry about the condition your box arrived in! I have no problem getting in contact Koni and having a new strut bolt shipped out to you ASAP.

Shane
For the record for anyone else, this is why I buy from AM. Thanks again Shane!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, i'm excited for you and look forward to the results. You are doing what I want to do next to my car, so i'm watching and taking notes... already bought a set of Shelby lower control arms... "blemished" though they look perfect for $129. I can't wait to get the rest together and get it done. Keep us posted!!!
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I will also need to go stop by my local Harbor Freight store and pick up one of their super awesome low profile jacks, as my current jack will get the car up...but might not get it back down...lol.
What if you put some 2x4s or 2x6s under it before you drop it back down? Might give you enough height, although that'd really suck to find out it doesn't afterwards haha.

Also, I don't know if you need it, but I found this, and it's pretty awesome. S197 Mustang Spring, Strut and Shock Install
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
Awesome, i'm excited for you and look forward to the results. You are doing what I want to do next to my car, so i'm watching and taking notes... already bought a set of Shelby lower control arms... "blemished" though they look perfect for $129. I can't wait to get the rest together and get it done. Keep us posted!!!
I will no worries. I'll let you know step by step issues if there are any and how it rides etc.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

What if you put some 2x4s or 2x6s under it before you drop it back down? Might give you enough height, although that'd really suck to find out it doesn't afterwards haha.

Also, I don't know if you need it, but I found this, and it's pretty awesome. S197 Mustang Spring, Strut and Shock Install
Thanks for the link! Only part I wasn't sure about was the rear shocks and springs. Looks easy enough.

I currently have a truck jack that I already have to use 2x4s with. I figure it will just be better to buy a new jack for this car. The jack isn't terribly much 90ish bucks plus I can get some shorter jack stands. Current ones were for my 2007 tundra and are tall as crap.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just wanted to update with how great my experience has been. Got two phone calls today, one from AM and one from Koni. AM called to let me know they got in contact with Koni for me and if I needed anything to let them know. Love the fact that I got follow up.

Koni also really impressed me. The rep is great and called to see if I just needed the one nut or both of them. He also told me he'd make sure he had their QA guy ready to meet me if I wanted to drive down to their NA HQ which is about 10 mins from where I work incase I wanted to get them installed this weekend. They are shipping it to me instead since I don't need it yet. They also went out of their way to give me shop recommendations for install. With the weather being so crappy I have been interested in having a shop do it unless the weather gets better. The Koni rep also wants pictures and my impressions on the ride with the Str.t to make sure I am actually happy with them after install.

So far this has been a great experience. Now if I can just find a shop that won't screw me over .
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Just wanted to update with how great my experience has been. Got two phone calls today, one from AM and one from Koni. AM called to let me know they got in contact with Koni for me and if I needed anything to let them know. Love the fact that I got follow up.

Koni also really impressed me. The rep is great and called to see if I just needed the one nut or both of them. He also told me he'd make sure he had their QA guy ready to meet me if I wanted to drive down to their NA HQ which is about 10 mins from where I work incase I wanted to get them installed this weekend. They are shipping it to me instead since I don't need it yet. They also went out of their way to give me shop recommendations for install. With the weather being so crappy I have been interested in having a shop do it unless the weather gets better. The Koni rep also wants pictures and my impressions on the ride with the Str.t to make sure I am actually happy with them after install.

So far this has been a great experience. Now if I can just find a shop that won't screw me over .
Thanks for the shout out and I'm glad you're impressed with out service. That's exactly the type of impressions we want to make. Again, thanks for your support and working with us on this one!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT