Check engine light threory - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
Check engine light threory

So I've recently installed a JLT intake and Bama 93 octane race tune on my 2012 GT. It worked fine for a couple weeks or so, I even drove it from South Georgia up to Virginia with no problems. Eventually I started noticing when I was driving to work first thing in the morning, my check engine light would flash for about 10 seconds and the acceleration would get pretty sluggish while it was flashing. After it stopped flashing, the car was fine and it wouldn't come on for the rest of the ride. After a couple mornings of this, the engine light stayed on, so naturally I used my SCT tuner to check the DTCs. I had P0300, P0301, and P0303. All of these are misfire codes. I worked with Bama tuning and tried several of their troubleshooting suggestions. Everything on the intake was tight and secured, the filter was located far enough away from the "T" in the JLT logo on the intake tube, I tried different tunes and everything. Nothing was solving the problem, and I really didn't like the idea of my engine misfiring EVERY DAY. I know that can cause some pretty serious internal damage. So I just tried returning it to stock, and sure enough, I haven't had any issues since. Don't think I'm talking trash about BAMA tuning or JLT, because I'm not, they both make great products that add noticeable horsepower. Troubleshooting a car over the phone is no easy task, so keep that in mind.

My theory is that it's the cold air temps in the morning that were causing my misfires. I'm not really sure what temps the intake/tuner were designed to work with, but I only had these issues after it started getting really cold where I live (Between 15 and 30 degrees Fahrenheit). And it only happened after a cold start. Once the engine/engine bay gets hot, I don't have any misfires.

My dad told me about when he was younger, he and his buddies would wrap an ice pack around the carburetor of their engines in order to cool the air entering the engine and thus making more power. But if the temperature outside were to suddenly drop, the engines wouldn't even run with the ice packs on them. I didn't get a lot of details about that, nor do I know much about carbed engines. But the concept sounds somewhat similar to me.

So, for now I'm going to leave the intake and tune off of the car, but you can bet when it warms up again, I'm gonna give it another shot! Lucky for me I'll be moving to Florida soon and won't have to worry about this bull lol.

Feel free to share your input or experiences.
Prime88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Its your tune most likely. I have the jlt carbonfiber cai and headers/full exhaust and drive in similar temps everyday with no misfires. Ive had a few tuning issues myself with P219A codes from not having cats....all these cars run just a lil bit different. So id suggest working with your tuner to get the bugs worked out or just get it dyno tuned. Despite what some ppl think these 5.0 cars can be a lil tricky to get tuned right but when u finally do you'll be tickled! Good luck!
13BLKCYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Where in Florida ya moving?? I live they're too...
Bongadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I have the same tune on my 2012 GT 5.0. I drive in cold mornings that have got down to 8* and not one problem! And it's my daily driver. So it's got to be your tune!! Have Bama go over it... Once they get it fixed, you'll love the change!! It's the best tune out there , IMOP!' So don't give up on it!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I assume you have a tuner that can datalog?Have you hooked it up
on a cold morning while having your JLT cai?If you can get this data and
send it to Bama,I would think it would help them adjust your tune
so its perfect.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

I haven't ran the data log on it yet. I'm not really sure how exactly that works. Both times that I contacted Bama for trouble shooting assistance, they looked over the tune I was running and they said it looked fine. At this point I'm keeping the CAI and tuner, I'm thinking I'll order a new tune from BAMA and throw it all back on the car when it warms up again. I'm not a big fan of working on my car in the snow lol. Supposed to get some warmer weather this week.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You have said it happens on startup in the cold.Have you tried data logging it from
a cold startup?Maybe if you try this,Bama can see exactly at this time and can fix it.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime88 View Post
I haven't ran the data log on it yet. I'm not really sure how exactly that works. Both times that I contacted Bama for trouble shooting assistance, they looked over the tune I was running and they said it looked fine. At this point I'm keeping the CAI and tuner, I'm thinking I'll order a new tune from BAMA and throw it all back on the car when it warms up again. I'm not a big fan of working on my car in the snow lol. Supposed to get some warmer weather this week.
Prime88,

It does sounds like there could be some adjustments made on the cold start up side of the tune. I'm really sorry you've been having issues with tune and haven't been able to solve it with the Bama team, yet. I know how frustrating it is to trouble shoot an issue like this and not have much luck.

However, I'd like to get you in touch with out lead Bama Tuner, Mike Wilson. If anyone is able to get you squared away, it's him! So, could you send me a PM with your order number? I'll get your info sent over to him right away and I'm sure he'll get you straightened out in no time!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #9

Well here's an interesting turn of events: My car has run flawlessly since returning it back to stock last Thursday after noon, regardless of temperature. But this morning, the elusive misfire is back! I haven't even run the DTC's yet. I know it's the misfire, I can feel the sluggishness when I try to accelerate. And after about 10 seconds of it, everything is back to normal. I'm just left with a check engine light. I'm making an appointment to get the car checked out at my local Ford dealership today. I don't know what's going on with my engine, but I really don't like it. Hopefully whatever the issue is, it will be covered under warranty. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Well here's an interesting turn of events: My car has run flawlessly since returning it back to stock last Thursday after noon, regardless of temperature. But this morning, the elusive misfire is back! I haven't even run the DTC's yet. I know it's the misfire, I can feel the sluggishness when I try to accelerate. And after about 10 seconds of it, everything is back to normal. I'm just left with a check engine light. I'm making an appointment to get the car checked out at my local Ford dealership today. I don't know what's going on with my engine, but I really don't like it. Hopefully whatever the issue is, it will be covered under warranty. Fingers crossed!
That is very interesting.. How low on gas are you at the moment? I wonder if you picked up some 'Okay' gas and you're fuel pump is getting the bottom scraps occasionally. Believe it or not, I have seen a similar situation like this with poor gasoline only acting up randomly.

Keep me updated with what your dealer finds!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #11

I'm just over a half a tank now. I believe this issue has spanned 2.5 tanks of 93 octane gas from 2 different stations. Even though my car's computer has been set back to stock, will the Ford techs be able to tell if I had a tune installed?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Here's a question. It might sound stupid but can you data log a stock tune? I don't know if that'll have any relevance to determining the problem.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I'm just over a half a tank now. I believe this issue has spanned 2.5 tanks of 93 octane gas from 2 different stations. Even though my car's computer has been set back to stock, will the Ford techs be able to tell if I had a tune installed?
It's best u go with the stock tune and stock intake of course, I doubt a Ford tech would look that deep in... But if a Ford engineer comes in, then they definitely will look deeper in and find out u have a tune. U should be fine, it's rare that it goes that far
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #14

Well that's a relief. Hopefully it won't go that far. I'm dropping the car off at Ford tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep ya'll posted on what they find out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Well that's a relief. Hopefully it won't go that far. I'm dropping the car off at Ford tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep ya'll posted on what they find out.
A Bama rep told me that so hopefully it's no big deal
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime88
They can def tell if it had a tune, not that they will look. I made the dealership check mine before I would buy the car.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #17

Well she's at the dealer now. Waiting for that phone call lol
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #18

Well I picked up my Stang from Ford today. Here's what happened. From what I was told, they were not able to make the car misfire again. I'm not very surprised by this since it only seemed to happen in colder temperatures and it's been pretty warm the past few days. They said the ran a lot of diagnostics on it while the engine was running to see if anything was out of the ordinary and the came up with nothing. They said they even did compression tests on the cylinders that were misfiring and everything checked out fine. So they ended up calling some Ford headquarters for some advice and they told them to re-calibrate the PCM, which they did. So far I've only driven it home from the dealer and I haven't had any problems. It's supposed to get pretty cold tonight, so I should know if the re-cal worked in the morning.

Also, the subject of an aftermarket tune NEVER came up : )
Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #19

Guess what happened this morning. Check engine light. Didn't seem like it was misfiring. But all the other symptoms were the exact same as before.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #20
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Well I picked up my Stang from Ford today. Here's what happened. From what I was told, they were not able to make the car misfire again. I'm not very surprised by this since it only seemed to happen in colder temperatures and it's been pretty warm the past few days. They said the ran a lot of diagnostics on it while the engine was running to see if anything was out of the ordinary and the came up with nothing. They said they even did compression tests on the cylinders that were misfiring and everything checked out fine. So they ended up calling some Ford headquarters for some advice and they told them to re-calibrate the PCM, which they did. So far I've only driven it home from the dealer and I haven't had any problems. It's supposed to get pretty cold tonight, so I should know if the re-cal worked in the morning.

Also, the subject of an aftermarket tune NEVER came up : )
Oh boy if I had $5 for every time a dealer told me those exact words. Go back, or to a different dealer.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

If it's the same problem that a handful of 2013s are having, mine included, they don't know what is wrong yet.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #22

That's comforting. I'm starting to think that maybe there's condensation in my fuel tank. I've been using 93 the whole time this has been happening and I understand it's more prone to have water in it. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why this only happens when it's cold outside. I went 4 days with no problems when the weather was above 55 degrees every day.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's comforting. I'm starting to think that maybe there's condensation in my fuel tank. I've been using 93 the whole time this has been happening and I understand it's more prone to have water in it. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why this only happens when it's cold outside. I went 4 days with no problems when the weather was above 55 degrees every day.
Try some water remover, I forget the specific name but it's at autozone. The difference between your problem and mine are that yours happens frequently, mine happened one day, but I had misfires on almost every cylinder. However, I've read some people have it often, some people have it barely at all. It's weird and I wish they'd figure it out.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #24

Yeah man you said it. I'm gonna give the dealer one more try before I try water remover. I know Valvoline makes one. If that doesn't do the trick then I'll try another dealer.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
If you think it's condensation, try a bottle of Iso-Heat. Cost a little more than a dollar.

Name:   image-1661339635.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  17.1 KB
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT
If you think it's condensation, try a bottle of Iso-Heat. Cost a little more than a dollar.
IMO, It's the best you can buy at any price.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #27

Yall ever use it in your 5.0s?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

IMO, It's the best you can buy at any price.
I use it often in the winter. Cheap insurance, people's gas lines freeze up around here if your not careful.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Yall ever use it in your 5.0s?
Should be safe in most engines. I'm not sure about turbo or super charged motors. Everything else should be fine.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine