Whats the tail light bar made of? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: hamilton
Region: Ohio
Posts: 9
Whats the tail light bar made of?

Between the tail lights, the black glossy panel the faux gas cap is attached to.

Should that be waxed or not? What should be put on there to protect it? I don't want to scratch it.
RichardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Painted metal, wax it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Painted metal, wax it.
If it is a 2013 it is plastic.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

If it is a 2013 it is plastic.
It's space plastic... O.o
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

It's space plastic... O.o
Shhhh don't give all the secrets out!
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Shhhh don't give all the secrets out!
It was just one secret.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
One at a time, and eventually all the cats are out of the bag. Bad dog, no biscuit.

Yeah, the panel is plastic. I pretty much wax everything except the windshield on the car.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
One at a time, and eventually all the cats are out of the bag. Bad dog, no biscuit.

Yeah, the panel is plastic. I pretty much wax everything except the windshield on the car.
Depends on the wax. If you use a paste wax and do this you are going to be an unhappy person.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

If it is a 2013 it is plastic.
He asked a general question and got a general answer. 12s and back are steel, but regardless of year, it needs waxed.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
He asked a general question and got a general answer. 12s and back are steel, but regardless of year, it needs waxed.
right, he said glossy panel that the faux gas cap is attached too, hence a 13. The 11-12 model mustangs never had these. I have one I am going to install on my 11 I got from another user on here, but it isn't a direct fit, I have to modify it slightly first.

wasn't trying to be a jerk, just giving him the correct answer.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
TommyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: La Mesa, Ca
Region: California
Posts: 559
Plexus Plastic Cleaner
__________________
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Depends on the wax. If you use a paste wax and do this you are going to be an unhappy person.
Surf City Garage. Doesn't act like the old school paste waxes. I was not completely sure about it, but couldn't pass up the price at their show, so took a chance. That reminds me, it's probably about time to throw another coat on.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
Surf City Garage. Doesn't act like the old school paste waxes. I was not completely sure about it, but couldn't pass up the price at their show, so took a chance. That reminds me, it's probably about time to throw another coat on.
yeah my car is a mess from using mothers paste wax. Just wasn't thinking about it. Had been using a liquid wax from Turtle Wax that didn't have this problem. Now my car looks like a 5 year old waxed it

Soon as we get some nice weather going to deal with that.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

yeah my car is a mess from using mothers paste wax. Just wasn't thinking about it. Had been using a liquid wax from Turtle Wax that didn't have this problem. Now my car looks like a 5 year old waxed it

Soon as we get some nice weather going to deal with that.
U mean the black plastic has wax residue??
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

U mean the black plastic has wax residue??
Yeah here is just part of the car. It is everywhere . I got some stuff from turtle wax to "hide" it just the weather has been so bad haven't tried it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130131_172142.png
Views:	131
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	88515
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Yeah here is just part of the car. It is everywhere . I got some stuff from turtle wax to "hide" it just the weather has been so bad haven't tried it.
That's not a problem at all!! Get Mothers Back to Black, and rub it in with a terry cloth, u will thank me later!!
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
That's not a problem at all!! Get Mothers Back to Black, and rub it in with a terry cloth, u will thank me later!!
yup didn't work haha. That part there is where I tried it. I purchased the same kind of thing from turtle wax to try it, see if it works any better.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

yup didn't work haha. That part there is where I tried it. I purchased the same kind of thing from turtle wax to try it, see if it works any better.
If It's the same kind of trim the 05s had, I used john deer vinyl and rubber protectant to get it off. My wife had it everywhere.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
If It's the same kind of trim the 05s had, I used john deer vinyl and rubber protectant to get it off. My wife had it everywhere.
haha I do too, looks like I am an idiot that cannot wax the car. I honestly just wasn't thinking about it since I hadn't used paste wax in years.

I'll check that out tho, thanks for the heads up!
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pony_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

haha I do too, looks like I am an idiot that cannot wax the car. I honestly just wasn't thinking about it since I hadn't used paste wax in years.

I'll check that out tho, thanks for the heads up!
You can also try using a tooth brush on the plastic, that's how I'd get the excess wax out of badges on my old jeep!
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
You can also try using a tooth brush on the plastic, that's how I'd get the excess wax out of badges on my old jeep!
that is an interesting idea. I imagine a plain old boring hard bristle toothbrush would be best? I don't know why I didn't think to do that. I would rather remove the wax than just do what some of this stuff does and hides it for a few months.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:37 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.