Barton Short Throw + 2 post Bracket Installed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: El Paso
Region: Texas
Posts: 45
Barton Short Throw + 2 post Bracket Installed

Installed these recently and just wanted to give you guys my opinion/driving impressions on them.

I had the SR short throw and Steeda Bracket on my '11 V6 and loved the combination. It cleaned up the shifts almost 100% and made the car much more fun to drive. However one thing I would have liked from it was a shorter reduction of throw. The throw with the SR short shifter felt almost the same distance as stock.

So with my '13 GT I decided not to take any shortcuts with the shifter. The throws are very short.. I haven't tried banging through the gears as quick as I can yet but Im pretty sure once I do, its gonna be Bliss.

The shifter however, is pretty noisey.. you can hear yourself shifting gear by gear- which is Okay with me.. Also, Reverse is pretty tough to get into. You have to muscle the thing down to get it into reverse.

Here is my short Video Review for those interested.

__________________
2013 Mustang GT Grabber Blue 6MT
3.73 Borla S-type Axelback, JBA OR H-Pipe, C&L CAI, AED Tune, Barton Shifter + 2 Post
Bokeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ntbruncie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: PHOENIX
Region: Arizona
Posts: 997
I have the barton in my 2012 v6 and i love it i would recommend it to anyone lookinf for a short shifter.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
I have just the 2post bracket and it made a HUGE difference. I love how mechanical it feels instead of mushy
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokeo View Post
Installed these recently and just wanted to give you guys my opinion/driving impressions on them.

I had the SR short throw and Steeda Bracket on my '11 V6 and loved the combination. It cleaned up the shifts almost 100% and made the car much more fun to drive. However one thing I would have liked from it was a shorter reduction of throw. The throw with the SR short shifter felt almost the same distance as stock.

So with my '13 GT I decided not to take any shortcuts with the shifter. The throws are very short.. I haven't tried banging through the gears as quick as I can yet but Im pretty sure once I do, its gonna be Bliss.

The shifter however, is pretty noisey.. you can hear yourself shifting gear by gear- which is Okay with me.. Also, Reverse is pretty tough to get into. You have to muscle the thing down to get it into reverse.

Here is my short Video Review for those interested.

I have the same setup as well and Im very happy so far, and yes reverse is much harder but I'm used to it by now. As far as the noise, I was dissapointed and was most annoyed with the fact that i could hear the starter as if it was right next to me, so I took my own measures of resolving that... I had a little dynamat left over, so I applied some around the base around where the boot is, and I also bought a small $5 amount of insulation from Home Depot and used a good amount in front of the shifter and behind it underneath all that open area and it made a world of difference...
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
achiles85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 20
I have the barton 2 post bracket and shifter as well and have to say its so much better than stock...make the car more fun lol
achiles85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: El Paso
Region: Texas
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
I have the barton in my 2012 v6 and i love it i would recommend it to anyone lookinf for a short shifter.
Yes, I'll be recommending this shifter as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I have just the 2post bracket and it made a HUGE difference. I love how mechanical it feels instead of mushy
I drove with just the 2 post bracket installed for about 2 weeks and I agree.. it was a HUGE improvement over the stock POS bushing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I have the same setup as well and Im very happy so far, and yes reverse is much harder but I'm used to it by now. As far as the noise, I was dissapointed and was most annoyed with the fact that i could hear the starter as if it was right next to me, so I took my own measures of resolving that... I had a little dynamat left over, so I applied some around the base around where the boot is, and I also bought a small $5 amount of insulation from Home Depot and used a good amount in front of the shifter and behind it underneath all that open area and it made a world of difference...
I may try that.. but as of right now the increased sound doesnt bother me too much. The reverse spring has loosened up a little from the day I installed it, which is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiles85 View Post
I have the barton 2 post bracket and shifter as well and have to say its so much better than stock...make the car more fun lol
Yeah I cant imagine ever going back to the stock shifter/bushing!
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Grabber Blue 6MT
3.73 Borla S-type Axelback, JBA OR H-Pipe, C&L CAI, AED Tune, Barton Shifter + 2 Post
Bokeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
2013 Green GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aurora. IL
Region: Illinois
Posts: 70
I also have the Barton and two post... I love it. It is more mechanical and feels more like it should... Deliberate. If it is loud turn on the tunes, and you don't have to turn it up to not even notice it. In addition, my wife used to scream at me when messing around (driving)... Now she can handle it (my driving that is)... And likes the new shifter as she knows what to expect. When you shift up or down with this shifter you know it's changing. So it is driver and passenger friendly! I also like the more difficult lock out. A little added insurance I know what gear I'm in.
2013 Green GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 Green GT View Post
I also have the Barton and two post... I love it. It is more mechanical and feels more like it should... Deliberate. If it is loud turn on the tunes, and you don't have to turn it up to not even notice it. In addition, my wife used to scream at me when messing around (driving)... Now she can handle it (my driving that is)... And likes the new shifter as she knows what to expect. When you shift up or down with this shifter you know it's changing. So it is driver and passenger friendly! I also like the more difficult lock out. A little added insurance I know what gear I'm in.
someone else, albiet he had an MGW, did what I thought about doing an it apparently worked, is to pull the center console open and add more insulation. When I last had mine open it looked like their was plenty of room to compact more insulation in there to deaden the sound if needed.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

someone else, albiet he had an MGW, did what I thought about doing an it apparently worked, is to pull the center console open and add more insulation. When I last had mine open it looked like their was plenty of room to compact more insulation in there to deaden the sound if needed.
There's a lot of open space in there, insulation helps a lot... Plus it keeps heat out, I noticed a lot more heat and sound coming from the shifter area, now it feels about as normal as stock
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
There's a lot of open space in there, insulation helps a lot... Plus it keeps heat out, I noticed a lot more heat and sound coming from the shifter area, now it feels about as normal as stock
It was you wasn't it

I remember random things but not always who says them!
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Villero1834's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Great review video thx
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Great video, can't wait to put my 2-post on!
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:23 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.